Home » Literary works » Short Story » Horror

12+

Horrifying Events #2: A Craving for Meat

by Necromancer14

I didn’t particularly like meat very much. I mean, it was fine, but I didn’t love it above all other foods. So, I don’t know what made me call and order the meat lover’s pizza from Pizza Hut. For some reason, even though I usually got the hawaii pizza, I wanted some nice, juicy sausage, ham, and pepperoni.

I waited around fifteen minutes or so in my dining room for the pizza to arrive, and then I devoured the entire pizza, even though I wasn’t that hungry. At least, I thought I wasn’t that hungry, but when I started to eat that scrumptious, wonderful meat, I realized exactly how hungry I was. I sat there, wondering how it all fit in my stomach. (I usually only ate one or two slices, because normally any more made me stuffed.)

This time, however, I didn’t feel stuffed at all. In fact, I felt just as hungry as before! However, it wasn’t a normal sort of hungry; it was a similar feeling to when I would get sugar cravings which could only be satisfied with sweets. This was no sugar craving though, because it was meat that I craved. That was so strange. Plus, the meat on the pizza had tasted so much better than normal. How had I not noticed before? Had pizza hut changed their recipe to make meat more delicious?

Regardless of how strange the whole scenario was, I walked out of my house and out into the driveway. I hopped into my car, and drove to the grocery store to buy some beef. When I arrived, I filled my cart with beef and other such fleshy, protein filled foods.

I paid for it all at the checkout, and then I drove home. I was feeling extremely surprised at myself. Why on Earth did eating a huge meal of plain meat sound so delicious? I really had no idea. I walked inside and cooked a full pot of plain beef and then somehow gobbled it all down under ten minutes even though it wasn’t even seasoned.

Thankfully, my craving was appeased. As it was getting late, I went upstairs to go to bed and promptly fell asleep.

When I awoke, I felt the craving again and vaguely remembered looking for meat in my dreams. I went downstairs and again cooked up a ridiculous portion of meat. When it was finished frying, I began eating it, but something tasted off. I couldn’t quite place it, but the meat didn’t taste quite as delicious. The craving was just as strong, but the meat didn’t satisfy it exactly. I closed my eyes and concentrated, trying to figure out what I wanted.

As I was thinking I, for some bizarre reason, absentmindedly ate a raw piece of steak. The whole thing. It tasted like perfection. I now began gorging myself on raw meat, and had almost eaten all of it by the end of the day. I then went to bed.

The next morning I began eating raw meat some more, but it was like yesterday; it didn’t taste quite right. Neither pork nor beef had quite the right taste and texture. As I sat there, again pondering what I really wanted, I pricked my finger on the knife I was using to cut meat. After that I smelled something delicious. I sniffed around, trying to figure out what I was smelling. I had never smelled this smell before, but somehow I knew that it was perfect. Not sort of perfect like meat, but what I truly wanted to eat. Actually, now that I thought about it, it was what I wanted in life.

My life’s goal was now to eat whatever that smell was coming from. As I sniffed around, my nose itched a tad and I rubbed it with my finger. I immediately smelled that smell again but so potent that I blacked out in delight.

I awoke with an immeasurable pleasant feeling in my stomach, and I burped. For some reason the burp smelled like a pond. Then I felt the pain. An intense pain that cut through my satisfied feeling of being full of something delicious. I looked down, and saw that the pinky finger on my right hand, the same one that had a cut on it, was gone. It looked like it had been completely chopped off.

I screamed and stood up, staggering backwards as I stared at my four-fingered hand. What had happened? I had no idea. There was a pool of blood on the floor, and I did not like this at all. I took a few big breaths and attempted to calm myself down. Somehow I succeeded, and within a couple hours I was already used to my missing finger. Besides, it didn’t hurt very much anymore. Actually, it didn’t feel much like anything. It pretty much felt numb.

I was getting hungry again, meaning I was craving some sort of meat. I ate some raw pork, even though it didn’t taste very good anymore. The hungrier I got, the more I realized that I was smelling that delicious smell again. I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from, but it was quite strong. I picked at the scab that was on the stub that used to be my finger and as some blood spilled out, the glorious smell hit my nose again and I blacked out.

When I awoke, I felt my craving extremely satisfied and I felt rather full, too. I didn’t feel any pain this time, but as I tried to grab some more meat I saw that my whole right hand was missing, and my arm was completely numb and stained with blood. I refrained from screaming, but that might have been because I was just sort of entering a state of shock now. After all, the things that were happening to me were so strange and horrible yet gave me so much pleasure when I satisfied the craving that I didn't know what to think.

Whatever was happening, it wasn’t stopping, and I continued to black out and lose body parts. Finally, when I had no arms up to my elbows and no legs up to my knees, I blacked out once more.

***

Margaret decided to visit Jake. She was his girlfriend and she hadn’t seen him in two days. So, she headed over to his house. She drove up to his driveway and saw that he had parked his car haphazardly as if he had been in a hurry. She parked her car on the side of the road and stepped out. She walked up to his house and knocked on the door. No answer. She knocked again, but again he didn’t open the door.

Finally, she just opened the door (it wasn’t locked) and stepped inside. What she saw should’ve made her turn around and leave, but she didn’t. All over the floor and in the sink was opened meat containers and raw meat and blood everywhere. Jake was nowhere to be seen. She wandered around to find him and ask him what the heck was going on.

She finally found him in his bedroom and she screamed. He was lying on the floor with the outer half of his limbs missing and no bandages on them. At first she thought he was unconscious because he was snoring, but then he moved and she saw that his eyes were open. They were rolling around randomly, with one looking up and the other looking down. His face was plastered with blood, mostly around the mouth. He bared his teeth and opened his mouth. Then, quick as a flash, he twisted down unnaturally far and bit a chunk out of his thigh.

“J-jake, what are you doing?” she screamed at him. He didn’t seem to hear. Then, even though she thought it couldn’t get any worse, it got worse.

As she saw him chewing his own flesh, he opened his mouth again, but this time something began coming out. Margaret screamed even louder than before as a milky white worm began wriggling out. Margaret had seen pictures of tapeworms before and that was what this looked like at first, but then it opened its mouth. She was pretty sure tapeworms weren't supposed to have a mouth like a lamprey eel, meaning a circular mouth with row after row of sharp teeth inside it.

As it began gnawing on Jake’s lip, another began wriggling out, this time moving down towards his elbow. She watched in horrendous fascination as it kept coming out. When it was halfway there, a third one began squirming it’s way out as well. They moved from side to side like snakes, but their mouths were wide open and they began biting and chewing Jake.

Several seconds later another one came out, and then another. A split second later they came out in a flood of slimy, white writhing worms and Margaret could literally hear the sound flesh being rendered and eaten. Each one was ridiculously long, and pretty soon his whole body was covered with them, yet all of them still had their back ends in his mouth which was forced unnaturally wide to fit all of them.

Ten seconds later, they all wriggled off of him and she could see that he was now only a skeleton, picked completely clean. She screamed yet again and turned to run towards the door, but they seemed to hear her, probably by feeling the vibrations of her running across the floor. They all moved sickeningly quick towards her in perfect syncopation. When they caught up, they all jumped on her and bit her.

As they bit her, she felt three things all in quick succession. First, intense pain. Second, a numbing feeling that blocked out the pain. Third, she began to feel extremely drowsy for some reason and she collapsed onto the floor.

They flooded all over her until they located her mouth, and then they began forcing their way into her mouth and she felt their slimy bodies wiggle smoothly down her throat. Strangely enough, they began coming back up. That was when she realized with absolute horror what was happening.

They were laying eggs in her. She could tell because she could see the eggs attached to their heads with slime, but when they came up those eggs were gone. The eggs were around the size of peas and were translucent. As they continued the process she felt so completely sleepy that she fell asleep while they were still going up and down her throat.

***

Margaret woke up, trying to recall what had happened. All that she remembered was that she was about to visit her boyfriend. Then she realized that she was in his house, in his bedroom of all places. He wasn’t there, though. The only thing she saw was his bed which was messily made and his dresser.

She stood up and stumbled down the stairs. She felt dizzy. Maybe she had gotten drunk? She didn’t know. She went down the stairs and saw a sparkly clean kitchen, though for some reason there were some empty meat containers shoved under the fridge. She didn’t know what that was about.

She left the house and decided to go to Burger King to get a burger.

It wasn’t breakfast food, but she kinda felt like she wanted something nice and meaty...

Liminality wrote a review...

A horrifying event, indeed - this piece does not disappoint. I had this feeling of odd terror-filled fascination all the way through, which is just what I want from a horror story!

1. I like the narrative voice you've used for Jake. It feels conversational enough to come across as believable inner thoughts, yet also being descriptive enough to convey the gruesome details of the scenario. I usually dislike switching POVs within a short story, but here I suppose it was necessary to reveal the creature behind all of the strange happenings, which brings me to . . .

2. . . . the plot. The details of the parasitic creatures unfold wonderfully, in my opinion. It's a strength of this piece that Jake's meat craving develops more slowly and in stages rather than quickly, as it really builds the horror and suspense. I think the idea of the parasites themselves is unexpected - yet perfectly believable for the story. At first, I was thinking - "Oh, he's turning into a monster or werewolf or something" - so the parasite reveal was a pleasantly surprising twist.

3. Now, this is a little nitpicky, especially since there is only one line of dialogue in this story, but I thought the speech tag "screamed" is a bit unnecessary and confusing to read with the question mark in '“J-jake, what are you doing?” she screamed at him.' Maybe just 'said' could have worked better? Only because the stuttering and the language she uses already conveys her terror quite enough, in my opinion.

4. The detached tone the characters have when being attacked/ worked on by the parasites sells the horror for me. I particularly liked the lines "My life’s goal was now to eat whatever that smell was coming from." and "Ten seconds later, they all wriggled off of him and she could see that he was now only a skeleton, picked completely clean." What they convey is horrifying, yet delivered in a sort of casual way that seems to amplify the psychological horror of how the characters seem unable to fight against the mind-controlling parasites.

5. Then of course, the ending was great. It's the sort of predictable-yet-inevitable ending that makes a story satisfying, even if it ends on a cliffhanger.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this horror piece - as you can probably tell. Hopefully you'll find these comments helpful or motivating to keep writing.

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you liked it.

JesseWrites wrote a review...

Hello this fine day. (Review Day)

What I Like:

There is a good consistency between how you write. The same characters without traits changing randomly, sentence length, and spelling correctly. Time skips are done in a well manner to me.

It all looks good. The paragraph length is good. All of it just flows with eye movements. Very visually pleasing.

The comedy aspects I picked up on are also quite entertaining. Got a few little chuckles out of me from the references of fast food.

What I Think Can Improve:

I see a few grammar mistakes I'll move onto soon.

I said earlier that the time skips were good, but they also are frequent, which isn't necessarily bad. It can just be pestering to some.

Grammar:

Had pizza hut changed their recipe to make meat more delicious?

Pizza Hut is a name, so it is like this.

Lines I Liked:

What a way to end. It was sort of powerful in a strange way.

This review was brought to you by,
Team Aubergine Leader, Haley

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier