z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

You think you want to be a writer? No you don't.

by MysteryMe


Just to clear things up, this piece isn't directed at any of you. I'm taking to the people out there who say that they "want to be a writer" and yet they barely even know what the word means. They say that they want it... and yet they don't even bother to write anything! It just irks me, so I decided to go on and rant about it. I spit this out in about an hour, so it isn't my best work, but I hope you enjoy it anyway :).

Btw, I know this has a harsh tone, but I really didn't mean it to be offensive. The harshness is meant in a joking way, and I REALLY hope I don't discourage any of you...

What do I want to be when I grow up? Well that’s easy, I want to be a writer.

What’s that you say? Being a writer is your first choice, too? Aw, how cute. Too bad it’s never going to happen.

Mean? Of course I’m not being mean. Just honest. Besides, It’s not like I’m the one who’s stopping you from being a writer, you are.

Look, kid. You want to know the truth? Well, I’ll tell you. Writing is not a choice. Just by saying that word, just by muttering it between your lips, you’ve made it pretty clear that you don’t know a thing about writing. Not a single, goddamn thing. You want me to explain? Gladly.

For starters, the way you look at writing is all wrong. You have this glorious little image in your head about what being a writer is “supposed” to be like. Don’t tell me that you don’t, because I know you do. I see that optimistic twinkle in your eye. You see the fame, you see the fortune, you see the free time. You think all you gotta do is just sit your butt down in front of a computer, type a few words, and voila! You got a bestselling story, top-notch pay, and a bunch of wild, screaming fans buying tickets to see it in theaters. No real work, but all the benefits. What’s wrong with that vision? Everything. If being a writer was that easy, everybody would be one, and there’d be nobody left to sell us paper.

Just like everything else in this messed up world of ours, writing has got a dark side. Did you ever once think of that? You’ve been living in a fool’s paradise, my dear, sweet child. I hate to do this to you, but let me bring you into the light. Imagine this: spending hour after hour in front of your dinosaur of a computer, typing away and backspacing until your fingers feel like they’re going to fall off. Your eyes burn and itch from not having slept in three days, and that’s being generous! You’ve been working on this book for four years now, and still no publishing company has even glanced in your direction! You’ve been declined thirty-seven times and counting. Your only fan is your mother, who’s getting tired of you taking up the living room, and there’s not a dollar in your pocket from which you’ve earned. Does that sound nice to you? Pleasant? Fun? Well, it’s not. It’s horrible, but that’s just what being a writer is all about. Now run what I just told you through that pretty little head of yours. Do you still “choose” to be a writer? Yes? Wrong answer. Jeez, I thought we already talked about this!

Let me clear this up for you one more time. Nobody “chooses” to be a writer. On the contrary, writing chooses you. You’re born to be a writer. You live to be a writer. You die to be a writer. That’s just the way it is. Don’t argue with me. If you are one of the cursed few who are actually, unfortunately, meant to be a writer, then you’ll know. Every single part of you will want it. Every bone in your body will ache for it. Every square inch of your soul will yearn for it. Every ounce of oxygen flowing through your lungs will scream for it. Every bit of blood pumping through your arteries will reach for it. You’ll know, you’ll just know.

I’m not saying that there won’t be any doubt, because there will be. Lots of it. In fact, that’s one of the signs that you really are meant to be a writer. You’ll doubt yourself every step of the way. “Am I ready for this?” you’ll think, “Am I really good enough?” And of course, the answer to those questions will be no. You’ll never be ready, never be good enough. That’s just the way it is. Being a writer isn’t about being perfect, it isn’t about being the best, it isn’t even about being good. It’s about growth. Learning from your mistakes. Improving and improving and improving from now until forever. There is no point where you can just stop and say, “That’s it. I’m the best I can be.” No, it doesn’t work like that. You will NEVER be the best. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. Trust me on this, if you feel like you’re the best writer out there, then clearly you’re not a writer at all.

If it’s that bad, why do people even become writers at all, you ask? Well, let me tell you. Writers are not like normal people. They think about things in a different mindset. They see the world in a different viewpoint. They analyze their friends in a different manner. They are different, they are peculiar, they are screwed. And they love every inch of it. So what if they spent the last year of their life sitting in front of a computer screen, with an itching butt and aching fingertips? So what if they never earned a dime to their pocket or received any credit for all their hard work? They look back on that year—that crazy, crazy year—and they realize that somehow, despite all that pain, they managed to have an amazing time. And they’re somehow willing to do it again. Don’t ask me why, I can’t explain it, they just do. Because that’s what they’re meant for.

You’re confused? Of course you are. Because—let’s face the truth, here—you’re just not made to be a writer. You just didn’t make the cut. If you were really a writer, you would be writing, rather than just saying that you want to. Writers write, and those that don't, aren't writers. It's the truth, and that's that.

Look, I'm sorry. The truth is tough, I know that. But please, don't be upset. You’re one of the lucky one’s. No one in their right mind would ever really consider being a writer. Only those who are clinically insane, mentally disturbed, crazy in all definitions of the term, are brave enough to even dare to cross that line. Like me. I’ll admit it. I’m strange, I’m odd, I’m peculiar. I’m insane, I’m disturbed, I’m crazy. And you know what? I’m happy.

I’m a writer, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 345
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:49 pm
StealTheWorld says...



Honestly? You didn't come off as angry to me. It felt like you were just so in AWE of the writing world that you just had to exclaim it. You were more passionate about the subject than angry or wired or crazed. I loved it :)




User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Hey, Flame here! Hope this comment isn't too late.

How you stressed that writing is a magnet, that you can't escape once it's attracted you...perfect. How you stressed that writing chooses you...even more perfect. I also believe that writing is a skill you're born with. Sounds discouraging, but writing is an art. It has depth, color, balance. You can't just pick up a pencil (or jump in front of a computer) and practice, and suddenly you're writing beautifully. You can't just skim through a writing book, or get an SAT word app to improve your vocabulary, and suddenly your writing flows like Tolkien's. Writers do see the world differently: do see art in the most hideous object.

However, I'm unsure who your intended audience was. People who claim that they want to "be an author" when they grow up, solely on the belief that they possess exceptionally large vocabularies (and because they have received countless compliments on their--arggghhhh), or simply little kids who want to become writers when they grow up? This could be seen as slightly harsh. I just have to say again, though...wow. Everything was spot-on. I, as an insane writer, wish that I could show this to some in my school :D.

Or maybe I'm just ranting. No one's ever taken me seriously as a writer because I don't read three hours every day, show anyone my work, or cram words like "audacious" into my speech just for the sake of them being there...Thanks for submitting this. May you never stop writing :D.




User avatar
303 Reviews


Points: 11152
Reviews: 303

Donate
Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:10 pm
StoneHeart says...



Uhm . . . writing kind of is a choice . . .




MysteryMe says...


Haha XD. I know, but I'm speaking more figuratively than I am literally. Thanks for commenting :)





*you don't talk like it.

P.s. This piece was really pretty good.





*you don't talk like it.

P.s. This piece was really pretty good.



MysteryMe says...


XD yeah, I know I don't. The tone for this piece was meant to sound pretty cynical and blindly confident, which made the actual message a lot harder to find. But really I meant it more along the line that if you really, truly want to be a writer, it FEELS as if you don't have a choice, because every part of you just wants to write. At least, that's how it feels to me. Once I realized I was a writer, I never thought about another possible career for a second. I just knew that I had found what I was meant to be.

And thanks! I'm really glad you think so!!





Hey, you're fourteen! Don't get ahead of yourself.

But your point is made. Being a writer is about WHO you are, not what you choose to be.



MysteryMe says...


Haha XD. Yeah, I was exaggerating. But that's only because I was trying to make a point, and I tend to do that a lot.

But I'm glad you see what I was trying to say :)



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 793
Reviews: 27

Donate
Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:08 pm
Joe wrote a review...



Wow you might want to have a nice big cup of tea and calm down.

Better now? Good.

It was a good piece, great some might say but you do seem a little angry. Only a wee bit when your screaming at that child."Cough (most of the story) cough". But it is a awesome poem/story-thing.
And its true all writers are insane, me, you anybody on this website.

I guess this makes me feel kinda wired 'cuse that's a bit how I started out. I was in grade five and one day I came home, grabbed the nearest notebook and started to write. Maybe it was in my blood all along and I just started then, like how salmon want to go back to their birth stream after the've been in the ocean for too long.
But please don't lecture me on noobs i had about a bajillon of them when I was the editor of the school newspaper. It just gets under your skin like crazy. I'd be reading work and I'd feel like crying over their work ad screaming out "I COULD WRITE BETTER THAN THIS IF I WAS STILL IN KINDERGARTEN" but to spare their feelings I didn't

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a amazing piece.

My favorite part is
"I’m a writer, and I wouldn’t have it any other way."
For sure writing is the hardest and best job out there.

But all writers are still insane. Now excuse me I have to go pickle avocado and feed them to my pet Blobfish, Cheerio




MysteryMe says...


Thanks! I'm glad you liked it :D. And I know that it seems like I was angry when I wrote this, but I really wasn't. In fact, this wasn't even meant to be discouraging at all. To me, the fact that the narrator seemed to be talking to some invisible person was meant to be more humorous, not necessarily taken seriously. I do get what you're feeling, though. When I posted this, I just knew that I was going to get some flames. I'm kind of sensitive (i know that's hard to believe, but it's true) and I was literally shaking when I hit the post button, because I really was afraid that people would hate me once I showed them this. But I posted it anyway, and I'm really glad that you at least tried to look past the harsh tone of the whole thing and understand the real message. I'm sorry if I offended you in some way, though. Because when I read this rant, I don't really think of it as me talking. I think of it as more of being narrated by a cynical, third-party voice. So the emotion in it isn't even mine, just something I made up to add to the power. Ok, I'm rambling now, and I must look crazy, so I'll stop. Thanks so much for the review!



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 816
Reviews: 65

Donate
Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:52 am
View Likes
Fizz wrote a review...



Hey
I think you need to take one seriously long deep breath, and tone down the crazy. Whilst I can totally dig what you say about writing being hard, about doubting yourself, and being born to write, I think that there is no reason to discourage people who make a choice to give writing a try. Whether or not they have what it takes to be a writer, they should definitely try. All of those things you've said are true, but they are also lessons we learn through out the process of writing, we weren't born with that knowledge. Every writer has to make their own journey, and every writer deserves to explore their own journey without ridicule or judgment. Focus on you, and let baby writing-hopefuls look after themselves.
On a completely different note, you write really well. There's a great flow to your writing, it's effortless. You were clearly born to write. I've got my fingers crossed for some serious success for you!




MysteryMe says...


Thanks! I'm glad you liked my writing! And I know that it seems like I was angry when I wrote this, but I really wasn't. In fact, this wasn't even meant to be discouraging at all. To me, the fact that the narrator seemed to be talking to some invisible person was meant to be more humorous, not necessarily taken seriously. I do get what you're feeling, though. When I posted this, I just knew that I was going to get some flames. I'm kind of sensitive (i know that's hard to believe, but it's true) and I was literally shaking when I hit the post button, because I really was afraid that people would hate me once I showed them this. But I posted it anyway, and I truly am sorry if I offended you in some way. Because when I read this rant, I don't really think of it as me talking. I think of it as more of being narrated by a cynical, third-party voice. So the emotion in it isn't even mine, just something I made up to add to the power. Actually, I totally agree with what you're saying! Ok, I'm rambling now, and I must look crazy, so I'll stop. But thanks so much for the review!



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 2520
Reviews: 28

Donate
Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:58 pm
Valkyrie17 says...



I loved this so much I have to leave a comment! I was going to point at my favourite parts but I thought every line was awesome! :D Honestly, I could relate to this completely and I didn't feel discouraged - I felt inspired. When you wrote about writers still doubting themselves I really connected with this piece. Seriously I love this rant. I wish I could put my rants like you have. Well done on the detail, description and grammar even though it is just meant to be a rant! :D




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 257
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm
View Likes
rbt00 wrote a review...



"been declined thirty-seven times and counting. Your only fan is your mother, who’s getting tired of you taking up the living room"
"No one in their right mind would ever really consider being a writer. Only those who are clinically insane, mentally disturbed, crazy in all definitions of the term, are brave enough to even dare to cross that line"

These lines were totally amazing. You have done it.
Thanks For Sharing.




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:19 pm
View Likes
MikaylaThompson says...



This is the most amazing thing I've ever read, and it's so true. You're born a writer, and there's nothing else to it. I relate to this all the way! I've been writing ever since I was three. I played weird games when I was a kid, and I still feel like I have a ten-year-old mind within my fourteen-year-old body. I'm always thinking up stuff that could possibly be a story, and everyone calls me weird because I look forward to English class and reading.




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 260
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:07 am
SunsetSprite wrote a review...



Heh, I've been called crazy and insane all my life so it must mean I am a writer. Or maybe I'm an insane idiot who hates reality and makes her own out of her imagination.
But yet again, this does makes sense you know? When I was a kid, they always tole me that I was the odd one due to the fact that I always played in my imaginary world full of magic and mysteries. No joke, I actually did. I had hardly, and still do, no friends plus I'm different.
All I gotta say is this...
IN YOUR FACES, BITCHES! HA HA HA!
XD Thanks for this!




User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11370
Reviews: 508

Donate
Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:10 am
View Likes
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



First off, I thought that cussing those people out was detrimental. You chewed them out just fine, but the language is a turn off that deafens their ears to the words they need to hear. So please feel free to revise those sections.
Now, disclaimer done, it's time for the fun.
Hahahahahahaha!!! I loved this so much. It's so TRUE!!! Writers are crazy people who are insanely outside the normal pack, typing all day and night because if we didn't it'd kill us. And yes we are born to write, not something we decide to do one day. Best part of this whole paragraph? The itching butt part. I'm sitting on top of a barrel right now in my dorm, enduring cramped glutes and an aching pelvis to read this. SO TRUE!!! Couldn't have said it better myself. Really enjoyed reading this.
The only thing I'd say you could improve this would be perhaps extending out some of the sections and adding in more examples or details. Really drive the point home and it'll stick with people. Long live writing!
Hope this helps!




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 1321
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:04 pm
View Likes
Love says...



Meh. I'm gonna write fiction for myself and for fun. For myself and for fun and for money, I'm gonna write in programming languages :3




User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:44 am
Messenger wrote a review...



I have to agree with you on this. Writing is a whole awful lot of work and in the beginning you don't really get much attention. But you have to keep improving and never think you've reach the best level you can achieve. I have to admit every time I read someone else's writing I go back to mine and say "Wow, I could really improve."
One of my brothers has frequently said what weird lifestyle I have with writing, and having nerdy friends who write, but when you're a writer and you see everything in a different light. I love it. I can go anywhere and I automatically think of how I would describe it in a book. I had a phase where subconsciously I would do that with every movie I watched. It drove me a little crazy at one point. :)
You do come across bluntly, but to me that's fine. It is true you could be a little more positive, but still a good message. And just like you I'm a writer, and I wouldn't have it any other way.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 258
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:34 am
CandidDreamer says...



Let me just say that I love you. I can relate to this 100%. I was born to be a writer. How do I know? Cuz I hateddd book, up until three years ago, when i actually read one. Ive never been the same since. Before that, I always liked imagining stories, but never thought anything of it. Now I eat, sleep, drink writing...when I can sigh. Darn school and the evil institution of it all.
I feel like we have sooo much in common.




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 419
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:29 am
lyricalrebel wrote a review...



What you just did was awesome.
I love everything about your poem. It totally depicts the image and feelings of a real writer. Yeah, maybe it's mean, but that's the beauty of it. Just let our voices be heard that everything is not what it seems but still, passion is what keeps us going! It's what we love! It's our life. God, I've always wanted to be a writer and you just gave me this idea that I can be one becaused everything I've always want is to be one because I love writing more than everything. Thank you for giving me a form of encouragement and realization for my dreams! Only those who are ignorant enough would get confused.
Everything about your poem is great. The flow is astounding. And the emotions, it was unexplainable yet I idolize you for that. Keep up the good work! I'll follow you and hope to read more of your work :)




MysteryMe says...


Thank you!!!! I'm so glad that you got the true message of my poem! Every time I post a new story/poem, especially something as strong as this, I always get really nervous that I'm going to get flames for my writing. It's reviews like this that keep me posting anyway :)



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 7867
Reviews: 159

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:43 pm
GreenLight24 wrote a review...



Woooh!
This was amazing!!! I absolutely loved the message that u were trying to send with this and I loved the way you brought it out of the text! After reading this, I think it's safe to say that any aspiring writer who read this would be forced to do a little self-speculation and really be introspective about what they actually want from writing. I liked the very blunt and to-the-point language you used here, and I thought it enhanced your ideas very well. Overall, very nice job! I aspire to be a writer on day as well for nothing more than the pleasure of transferring words from mind onto paper, and I'm glad to see that someone went ahead and acknowledged the line, which sometimes seems to become a bit blurred, that separates the lovers from the dreamers. Fantastic piece!

Love first, dream later. ;)




MysteryMe says...


Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it! You've interpreted the message in this piece exactly, which is really impressive considering that lots of people couldn't look past its harsh tone. Thanks for the feedback!



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 896
Reviews: 117

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:43 pm
rishabh wrote a review...



hey!

great work, first of all. I loved your work. How have you written this piece. i want to know really. This work is exceptionally good. you have plot an amazing thing about being writer and not being writer. The chemistry between mom and her daughter was mind blowing, somewhere i felt that the story is going little confusing but everything's ok later. Your thought in this story that be a writer if your gut allows you to being a writer. It was amazingly effective thought. i liked it in one sight.

The were abberations in your stuff, but you have also plot some covers for it.

goood. keep writing.




MysteryMe says...


Thank you!!!! I'm glad you liked it! :D



User avatar
166 Reviews


Points: 1135
Reviews: 166

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:28 pm
Cheetah wrote a review...



Hello, MysteryMe and congrats on making the literary spotlight! What I just read was really interesting, I've never really thought about writing that way. It was awesome and I didn't really spot anything I would change, except that I would make it a bit more positive in some areas, so that writers don't get TOO discouraged. But other than that it was awesome! Thanks for sharing!




MysteryMe says...


Thanks! And I guess I kinda agree with you, I did make it a bit on the extreme side. Well, I'm happy you liked it!



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 am
Blackwood says...



Well now I am discouraged me from my dreams and aspirations </3




Cailey says...


Whatev, Blackwood.
If you aren't a writer then...
Well, then I don't know what.



Blackwood says...


Wow, what's with you?



User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 407
Reviews: 41

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:04 am
thewriterinside wrote a review...



Hey! Rosie here for a review.
First off, I am very much impressed and in awe of your passion as an author, and as a person. I think that this is a great piece, full of thought and purpose. You're quick, straight and to the point. You're very direct, and don't try to sugarcoat or hide anything. As a reader, I found that very refreshing. As a writer, I was reminded why I do what I do. Writing is something that has chosen me, and I'm very grateful it is. I'd love to read more of your work. Keep it up!

Love,
Rosie.




MysteryMe says...


Thanks! I'm really glad you think so! I was kind of worried about this piece, since I knew it was harsh so it might offend some people, but I'm really glad so many of the writers on here like it! :D



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:17 am
birk wrote a review...



Hey Mystery!

First off, welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

You want to know one thing I have learned during my time on YWS?
Whenever somebody writes a piece about being a writer, they love and praise it. Positive or negative, they flock to it.

I guess its because they seek inspiration to back up their passion, or even confirmation that they are thinking in the right way. Even though this is something they should come to on their own. Inspiration is all fine and well, but be yourself.

However though, this work doesn't seem to encourage the readers passion, or even inspire. I find this a bit off putting and weird, seeing as I can tell you yourself is a young, passionate writer with these very same dreams.

As a written work, its a pretty nice read, with a lot of volume throughout. However, once we take into consideration your POV and especially your age, it crumbles. This aside from the fact that the reader has no freedom and all you do is flesh out and insist on your opinion.

I'll go over some thoughts as I go along:

Too bad it’s never going to happen.

Yeah, discouraging. I mentioned that, right? And while the entire piece is pushing on the fact that writing is hard, this statement is nonetheless out of place. In fact it's completely wrong, as anyone can become a writer, whether they have the passion to or not.

In an earlier comment, you share a story about someone you belive don't have the passion. Yet who knows what a person really wants. Dreams can go deep. And everyone has some passion for whatever they spend time on.

For example: Despite all the negativity, E.L. James' passion has brought her far, and she is a writer and published author. And a successful one at that.

Nobody “chooses” to be a writer. On the contrary, writing chooses you. You’re born to be a writer. You live to be a writer. You die to be a writer. That’s just the way it is. Don’t argue with me.
I will argue with this. Nobody is born to be a writer. Your creativity, imagination and dreams are shaped by your surroundings, people around you, your upbringing and a whole heap of factors.

edit
If you are one of the cursed few who has actually, unfortunately, figured to be a writer
To a degree, edits included, I would agree on this. After you initially have found this calling, you can rarely shed it.

The entirety of your next paragraph is fantastic, there is little I would change.

Your ending is solid. You continue to bereft the reader of any freedom to interpid what you write, as you still insist your opinion. But in the end, I guess that was the point.

Finally, I found little to no grammatical errors. Great!
I would enjoy reading up on any works you publish, feel free to bug me. ;)

Cheers
Birkhoff




MysteryMe says...


Thanks for the review! And yeah, I get what your saying about it being discouraging. To be honest, I don't really see myself as being the narrator of this piece. I think of it as being narrated by a cynical, third party voice, which is partially why I was able to go to the extremes while writing it. Personally, I'm kind of a passive person, with not much of an opinion on anything. Honestly, I'm not even sure if this whole thing IS my opinion, but I posted it anyway. Discouraging or not, I think it does show what it really means to be a writer.





O_O You're passive?! Sorry, that just surprises me XD but I guess I can see what you mean and how you go to writing this... I think... Good job by the way.



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 261
Reviews: 23

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:11 am
pensword says...



your passion awes and frightens me.




User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:30 am
KnightTeen says...



Wow. This just made my day.




User avatar
374 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 374

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:01 am
tgirly says...



"They are different, they are peculiar, they are screwed."

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.




MysteryMe says...


Haha, thanks XD.



User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 9651
Reviews: 92

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 am
InfiniteSnowfall wrote a review...



I'm not going to critique this. Plain and simple. That's because it's already way to perfect.

Thank you for posting this! This really got to me and I was a little sad when it ended. I wanted to read more of the 'rant'. Haha. Is that weird?

Anyway, I really liked how you wrote this sort of as a one-sided story. I mean, we only get to read the thoughts and dialogue of the narrator. We don't get to read how the other person is responding really. I thought that really worked well in this piece.

Now, here's the part where I would tell you what my favorite parts were... But then you would just be reading your entire story. Yep, I would copy and paste the whole thing. You probably don't need that. So, I guess that's all I gotta say.

Great writing, MysteryMe! By the way, welcome to YWS! Even though I'm a little late by a couple of days... Better late then never. Happy writing!

Yours till the Chocolate Chips,
Snow




MysteryMe says...


Haha, thank you!!! I'm so glad you liked it! I had a lot of fun writing this :D



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 6441
Reviews: 110

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 am
Gardevite says...



I feel pike you're trying to discourage people from writing, and I'm not sure why.




MysteryMe says...


I totally get that you feel that way, but that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to get the true essence of writing. Writing isn't perfect, it's hard, but if you really are a writer at heart, then it's worth it. It came out harsh I know, but only because I felt like in order to be more powerful, it really had to be.



Gardevite says...


Well I get that, but I think you are, almost scolding people for dreaming of being a great author. Nothing is perfect, and I agree with you there but people have had the success you described as idiotic and unrealistic. It doesn't hurt to want it. (I agree with you about people who expect it.)



MysteryMe says...


Yeah, I see what your saying. This isn't the type of thing that I'd normally write, and in fact its not really much of my opinion at all. I got this idea when I was chatting with this writer on fanfiction.com. She was telling me that she originally wanted to be a scientist, but since a lot of people were commenting positively on her work (her writing was ok, but her stories were completely cliche) that she decided that she'd be a writer on the side. Of course, I told her that she'd be great at it and was supportive and everything, but deep down I knew that it wasn't a REAL wish, she just liked to imagine herself writing books because people said she was good at it. She didn't truly desire it. It just gave me this idea to rant about the darker side of writing, and I thought this would be a fun way of doing it. I know that it seems like I'm scolding them, but my intention was to do it in a sort of humorous way, so I'm sorry if it came out sounding harsh to you. And I'm not talking to the people who really, truly want to write, I'm just talking to those who only like the IDEA of writing.



Gardevite says...


Okay now I see where you're coming from.

(side note: you should probably move this from short story to article/essay)



MysteryMe says...


Oh thanks! I'll do that now, I just didn't know where to put this.



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 573
Reviews: 10

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 am
StefanosVorkas wrote a review...



I loved this, this honestly was my response(albeit a bit more frustrated and with a couple more swear words) to the people that told me they wanted to be writers. I think that from now on I'll just send them your short story/ rant instead of ranting it out myself :)
You honestly did an awesome job here, nothing else to comment.




MysteryMe says...


Thank you! Ever since I became serious about writing, I just get so frustrated whenever people talk about writing as if its somehow easy. This was just a way for me to vent XD.



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 306
Reviews: 65

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 am
deleted17 wrote a review...



"...And they are screwed." I love that quote. I honestly do. Truth be told, I thought about it that way to, until I read The School Story. That's when I thought, Damn, being an author is hard. You know what? I still want to be one.

Ah hem. I think that this was an excellent work. I also think that this needs to be a little subtle-er. You didn't sugar coat it, and that's good, really it is. I like how you made it seem like it was you talking to us yourself. That, my friend is the definition of talent.

...

I'm exaggerating a little bit. But hey, don't let this be your only work! Let this be your best! I truly think that this a little harsh, but true. Absolutely true. And I want that life.

With All Do Respect
Wholesomereader




MysteryMe says...


Haha, thank you! I actually used to think this way too, before I became serious about writing. And I know it came out sounding harsh, that was an actual choice of mine. I did it because I thought, it this instance, being harsh would increase the power of what I was saying. I don't ACTUALLY feel as powerfully as I made myself sound.



User avatar
115 Reviews


Points: 9790
Reviews: 115

Donate
Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:08 pm
ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...



You’re born to be a writer. You live to be a writer. You die to be a writer. That’s just the way it is. Don’t argue with me. If you are one of the cursed few who are actually, unfortunately, meant to be a writer, then you’ll know

Gave me goose bumps ;)

Improving and improving and improving from now until forever.

I love this. So true.

Trust me on this, if you feel like you’re the best writer out there, then clearly you’re not a writer at all.



One more time.
Love!




MysteryMe says...


I already replied to this, but the message isn't showing up so I'll do it again just in case XD

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that you liked it! This piece came from my heart, so I'm glad that it had an effect on you



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 955
Reviews: 24

Donate
Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 pm
RyiaGreene says...



Would you mind if I shared this on a group I'm in on Facebook?




MysteryMe says...


Sure, that would be fine :)



User avatar
124 Reviews


Points: 495
Reviews: 124

Donate
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 pm
View Likes
Liaya wrote a review...



It's because we're masochists or something. Thank you so much for writing this! At the beginning, you say you don't think it's one of your best pieces, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat it. As I read, my heart began to swell and pound because I found someone who thinks the same as I about what we are. I don't ever remember deciding to be a writer; I just always was. My mom loves to tell stories of how I'd staple pieces of paper together, before I could even read, and fill them with tiny little scribbles, line after line, and then go read her the story I had "written." Somehow you've managed to write down the definition of what we are. You're blunt and forthcoming and somehow incredibly correct. I thought I liked your other writing, but it is nothing compared to this! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.




MysteryMe says...


Thank you!!!! I'm so glad you liked this! This is a piece that really came from my heart <3



Random avatar

Points: 339
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 pm
View Likes
UnorthodoxDreamer wrote a review...



This is very touching for me. (that last paragraph especially) I've never considered being a writer before and I never thought I would, its always been art and animals for me. I've never really had a talent until I discovered writing (heh, yeah, I totally discovered writing) so I thought "should I be a writer?'" then I thought about it and was like "no, definitely not." I kind of want to do it now, because of this. so thanks, you've influenced my career path.




MysteryMe says...


Wow, that really means so much to me! I'm so glad that my work had such a big effect on you!




*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble