z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

The Voidfish

by momonster


This story is based off of this song: https://youtu.be/7Xxkz4hKOMA. I hope you enjoy!

                       

                     

Reinvue shivered as Marco rowed the boat further into the Void Swamp. They weren't that far in yet and she was terrified. She looked at Marco, and he was scared too.

"How much further?" Vue asked. Her voice was quiet and fearful.

"A few more minutes, until we get to where Grandpa Bill's signal was." his voice was also scared. He returned Vue's worried gaze.

"Do-do you think-" Vue stammered, terrified, "The Voidfish killed him?"

"Shut up!" Marco stammered, terrified as well. "You know that saying that name wakes them up!"

"But I don't think they're real, Marco!" Vue said, with only a little bit of hesitation.

She immediately regretted those words.

The water next to the boat exploded. It didn't splash onto them, it just started disappearing, like there was a drain next to the boat, sucking up all the water.

Vue couldn't move. She was frozen with the most fear she had ever had. The hooting monkeys in the trees around them suddenly stopped their jeering. The water kept draining.

It started to move closer to the boat.

Vue screamed.

The boat disappeared into the gaping maw of the Voidfish.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
659 Reviews


Points: 82352
Reviews: 659

Donate
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 am
View Likes
RandomTalks wrote a review...



Hey Momo!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

This was a really good and suspenful read. I liked the tension you created with you your short clipped dialogues. It reflected the fear and the desperation of these two people and at tge same time creating this wonderful tension in every sentence. I liked how you built it up with such anticipation until that one point in the ending where it finally concluded. It was extremely intense and I could feel myself waiting for the ending to find out what happened to them.

One sugestion I can give is to add a little more background to the story. Why was Grandpa Bill out there? What's up with the hooting monkeys? Maybe describe the swamp a little, the color of the water, the pull of the waves. Keeping the story short did put more focus on the tension and suspense, but I feel like a little more detail wouldn't hurt.

I really liked the ending and how a single sentence told us their fate. I am glad you didn't expand on that because the single sentence is more impactful than any other words dedicated to explaining what happened.

Overall, this was a really nice read. Good job!

Keep writing and have a great day!




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 430
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:12 pm
View Likes
MC wrote a review...



I really like this story.
Its short and is fast paced. and an easy read.
I love how the characters are portrayed. one who was scare about their fate, and another who was equally terrified but denying an its existence.
The characters radiated fear and uncertainty of their fates.
And the void fish is shrouded in mystery and sound terrifying and something I never want to see or hear at all.
Overall I enjoyed this short story and I hope to see more from you! Have a wonderful day




User avatar
4096 Reviews


Points: 253363
Reviews: 4096

Donate
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: This definitely seems like a fun little short to read. The story definitely gets you the impression of a pretty sizeable world despite being so short and the end is pretty satisfying too.

Anyway let's get right to it,

Reinvue shivered as Marco rowed the boat further into the Void Swamp. They weren't that far in yet and she was terrified. She looked at Marco, and he was scared too.

"How much further?" Vue asked. Her voice was quiet and fearful.


Oooh that's a nice little entrance...definitely gets your attention with that little bit of mystery. A pretty neat start here to the story.

"A few more minutes, until we get to where Grandpa Bill's signal was." his voice was also scared. He returned Vue's worried gaze.

"Do-do you think-" Vue stammered, terrified, "The Voidfish killed him?"

"Shut up!" Marco stammered, terrified as well. "You know that saying that name wakes them up!"


Okay...that's definitely peaking my interest, this fish definitely seems like something that you don't want to tangle with and I am loving the reactions here by our two characters here.

"But I don't think they're real, Marco!" Vue said, with only a little bit of hesitation.

She immediately regretted those words.

The water next to the boat exploded. It didn't splash onto them, it just started disappearing, like there was a drain next to the boat, sucking up all the water.


Oooh...instant moments of regret, always funny to read about and scary to imagine. At any rate I love this introduction to our monstrous fish here.

Vue couldn't move. She was frozen with the most fear she had ever had. The hooting monkeys in the trees around them suddenly stopped their jeering. The water kept draining.

It started to move closer to the boat.


Well this is clearly not heading towards a happy ending.

Vue screamed.

The boat disappeared into the gaping maw of the Voidfish.


Aaand boom...short and sweet ending...I think that's a pretty effective ending.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall this was just really fun to read. Its got a touch of humor, its got some interesting action and mystery, a lovely bite sized little story and that's all I've really gotta say here. :D

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




momonster says...


Thanks!!



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 269
Reviews: 6

Donate
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 am
View Likes
KWN wrote a review...



Well hello there! This is KWN for a review.

okay firstly I just want to say it's a very impressive piece of work and I really like it. It's nice how short it is but it feels like there is so much backstory that the reader gets to think about.

Another thing I think you did well was with showing emotions. I felt like I knew exactly what they were feeling. I also love how you added the suspense at the end but also through out the story. The way you expressed their fear makes the reader know that something went wrong.

So in conclusion it was very good and I hope you keep on writing

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -KWN




momonster says...


Thanks!



User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 29
Reviews: 26

Donate
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:20 pm
View Likes
nightshadows wrote a review...



Hi! This is nightshadows bring a new comment live to a theater near you! Ok, so enough of my uniqueness here are my thoughts:


WOW!!! Ok so you have left me on such a cliffhanger I might just disappear into the voidfish myself. I love the creativity and how you entranced me into this world you created with so many elements! One thing I love are the characters and how you paint their thoughts so clearly through the story! Also just a little tip but you don't have to take it, try and illustrate the scene a bit better so you can put the reader into insanity like,

"Reinvue shivered as Marco rowed the boat further into the Void Swamp. The trees hanged like dead grass and dripped odd liquid from the tips. The water, thick with moss and dead bugs dispersed an odorous stench into the air.The fog was like clouds had descended and Marco and Vue couldn't see even four feet in front of themselves"
Great job!!




momonster says...


Thanks!!



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 83
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:10 pm
View Likes
illy7896 wrote a review...



Wowee, I haven't done a review in ages but I must!

Firstly, only in these short sentences, I already have a feel of the story and a foundation of a deeper legend. This was a splendid insight into a fictional myth and the reader is forced to share a common fear for the Voidfish, despite little information being given away.

"A few more minutes, until we get to where Grandpa Bill's signal was." his voice was also scared. He returned Vue's worried gaze.


I thought that this sentence was really effective, allowing the audience to begin to unravel the story and the characters' ambitions.

However, in my opinion, I felt as if the word 'the' and 'boat' was frequent towards the end. Perhaps replacing boat with vessel and adding imagery could create a more of a dramatic and urgent influence.

It didn't splash onto them, it just started disappearing, like there was a drain next to the boat, sucking up all the water.


Perhaps you could rearrange this sentence to make it flow easier and with more emphasis. Additionally, the previous sentence stated that the water exploded, whereas in this sentence the water actually started disappearing. Perhaps, you could add a very observant tone to explain this:

Well, there were no great splashes or fireworks of salty seawater, it just started to disappear, drained away from the vessel that sat idly next to the deflating pool of liquid.


This is completely up to you of course :)

The hooting monkeys in the trees around them suddenly stopped their jeering. The water kept draining.


I loved the effect that this has and the way that you have used full stops to highlight the change and events of the story.

Awesome work on this, I enjoyed reading this story and will be sure to watch the video. This has got me intrigued!




momonster says...


Thanks fr the review!!




Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk