z

Young Writers Society



Gotham v. Joker, 1894 (Chapter Twelve)

by MeherazulAzim16


Gordon mulled it over and decided to open the envelope. What he read enraged him. He decided that his instincts had been right: Batman is to be blamed for all that has transpired. Gordon made use of all his advantages, all the connections he has built throughout the years, pulled all the strings his hands could reach and did the unthinkable. He found a way to hurt Batman that his Rogues’ Gallery never even considered.

Bruce has been spending the last few days resting, isolating himself from the world, so he has no idea what Gordon has been up to. He has arrested Crane and thrown him into the asylum. The commissioner has also publicly condemned Batman for concealing vital information from the police and leading to the death of innocent people. The Joker situation has also gotten more complicated. This is how Bruce finds out about it:

Alfred enters the master bedroom with a breakfast tray—cucumber sandwiches and a glass of orange juice. The butler looks pale. He is doubtful that Bruce will ever make a full recovery psychologically. The death of Barbara and Richard’s disappearance are finally catching up to him.

Bruce yawns and sits up in his bed. Upon noticing the distress in Alfred’s face, he asks, “What is it?”

“I have some rather… troubling update on Joker,” Alfred says, putting the tray down on a bedside table. “He has regained consciousness but, how best to describe… he has lost the ability to laugh.”

Bruce stares and listens.

“The doctors don’t quite understand the condition but they suspect that it may have been a consequence of the head injury he suffered in Amusement Mile. It’s not just that. Joker has been… depressed in general.”

“He could be feigning all of it,” says Bruce.

Alfred wavers, skeptically. “Why would he do that?”

“Because he’s the Joker! He’s a lunatic! You can’t explain his actions using reason.” Bruce begins to hyperventilate.

“Oh, Master Bruce…” Alfred sighs. “I didn’t mean to agitate you. I knew this information would only do you harm. Understand that I’m revealing it to you against my better judgment, because… well, a lot has happened in the last few days.”

Bruce nods for Alfred to go on as he tries a breathing exercise, inhaling slowly, letting his lungs fill, and then holding his breath momentarily before he exhales.

“The thing is that if Joker is not faking… sanity, if we can call it that, he’ll be hanged.”

Bruce cocks his head. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Certain parties have been busy of late. Especially, Gordon. The figures at the top have been searching for a way to reassure the public that the situation is under control. Gordon has given it to them.”

“No, no.” Bruce shakes his head in denial. “That’s impossible! All inmates of Arkham are protected by the insanity defense.”

“That won’t make much of a difference now that they have declare Joker cured and transferred him to Blackgate,” Alfred says and pauses. “It’s been decided, sir. The laws will be interpreted in whatever way convenient to fit the internally agreed upon verdict. And I very much doubt any lawyer in Gotham who might represent Joker will object to it.”

Bruce bends his back, leaning forward, and throws his face in his hands, struggling to process what he is hearing. “Everything I’ve worked for… achieved… crumbling down all at once. Do you realize what this means? Joker’s hanging will set precedence. Precedence that will be used to persecute, not prosecute! It practically renders the asylum pointless. Why should we admit the criminally insane into Arkham Asylum, if they’re just going to be thrown into Blackgate at the first hint of recovery? They can’t do this!”

“They will. It’s been decided.”

Bruce doesn’t have a response.

“Sir,” Alfred says, sadly, “do you know what your biggest weakness is? It’s your inability to accept that goodness is not a universal trait, that some people are pure evil.”

Bruce gets off the bed, steading himself with the help of a cane, and walks to the window. The more he thinks about the lives lost, the more he feels that Alfred is right, that Joker deserves it. That Joker is pure evil and has lost all trace of personhood because of his actions. But the means of punishment just feels wrong to him.

“As much as I disagree with your philosophy,” Alfred continues to say, “that inability is also one of your strengths! It is what makes you different. You really have been the most unfortunate, sir, but I pray you never lose this part of you.”

Bruce looks out the window. Some trees far off into the Wayne Manor grounds have begun to blossom a vibrant red.

“By the way, sir,” Alfred says, picking out a thin, white envelope from his breast pocket. It is sealed with wax the color of ripe apples. The seal has the emblem of Arkham Asylum stamped on it: AA. “Came in this morning. There is no information about the sender other than the stamp. But I have a hunch as to who it might be.”

Bruce holds the envelope in his hands, thumb rubbing on the sheet and feeling the texture. “Yeah, me too, Al.” He rips it open, breaking the seal, and then unfolds the letter. On the upper end of the full white page are written these words:

“You placed your faith in me. I’m grateful for that. But I’ll never forgive myself for the mistakes I’ve done.

“I’ve studied you. I know what sort of a person you are. You’ll tell I’m not beyond redemption. But for what I’m about to do, I’m confident that even you will never forgive me. However, this is the only way I can make amends now—the only way to save Joker and this godforsaken city.”

Bruce’s fingers shiver violently, as if they’re holding a block of ice at the bottom of Gotham River on a cold January night. The letter slips and falls right past them. Completely unaware of the horrified look in face, he looks to Alfred and stutters, “I have to go.”

The butler frowns. “What’s in the letter?”

Bruce walks right past him without answering, probably on his way to the Batcave where he can suit up. Normally, during an emergency, he would’ve jumped onto his automobile and hit the gas as hard as he can. But that is no longer an option. “Goddamn it, Richard. Goddamn it,” he mutters as he marches down the hallway and then the stairs. Bruce remembers that they still own an old carriage or two. They’re nowhere fast enough but they will have to do for now.

Back in the bedroom, Alfred stands alone, holding the letter in his hand and looking at the uneaten breakfast. He crumples the paper and hurls it out the window. Not in anger, but in frustration and sadness. He listens to the sound of Bruce’s fading footsteps and begins to cry, feeling sorry for him, Dr. Quinzel and everyone else who has had the misfortune of being touched by Gotham City.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:31 am
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Before I get into the review I would just like to say that I haven't read the previous chapters. So if I by any chance miss something very obvious, I apologize in advance. And now into the review. Also, I have no idea about the actual story of Batman.

This was a very interesting chapter to read. Even though I haven't read the previous chapters, it wasn't totally vague to me which I think is quite good because it gave the independence to a chapter. Not that important but I guess you forgot to categorise it under fanfiction.

First off with the beginning. No idea but it awkardly felt like a prologue to me. I guess it has something to do with the sudden shift of tense from past to present in the beginning. I actually think that there's a time gap between that and the rest of the chapter. Although you can argue, at least to me the time gap was not fully brought out only by the use of shift of tense. Maybe you could use asterisks or something between the present and past tense.

Another thing which I would like to add here is the vague nature of thefirst two sentences. We definitely get to know that he read somthing which made him very angry but we didn't get to know anything about what it was. I think this should be cleared on a bit. That was a case of intentional hiding from the readers and not the tactful hiding which is interesting to read.

Next we have the characters. Gordan seems to be an evil character or at least the kind of apparent antagonist and Joker, the protagonist. Gordan, I guess wants to take revenge on Batman and for that he is harming Joker. From the very little I know about Joker is a kind of supersane person and that is why it's very difficult to deal with him and predict him. And now he is at danger because of that particular thing. Well that's pretty sad. Now comes Bruce. I had a feeling that Bruce is not a very old character in the novel and has been introduced recently because you spent quite some amount of time in doing explicit character development of the person which is not generally done when a novel progresses a bit with one character. Just wanted to point out if you didn't mean it to be like that. Alfred now seems to be a devoted person and helps out Bruce without any selfishness.

The Joker situation has also gotten more complicated. This is how Bruce finds out about it:

Alfred enters the master bedroom with a breakfast tray—cucumber sandwiches and a glass of orange juice.

This portion was not the best portion if we talk about the flow of the story. It felt like a person is just accounting an incident or writing an essay on it rather than telling a story. Something should be done to remove those two colons. Rather than giving a summary, you could directly jump into Alfred bringing tea and then telling it to Bruce. It would be more natural in that way.

He rips it open, breaking the seal, and then unfolds the letter. On the upper end of the full white page are written these words:

“You placed your faith in me. I’m grateful for that. But I’ll never forgive myself for the mistakes I’ve done.

“I’ve studied you. I know what sort of a person you are. You’ll tell I’m not beyond redemption. But for what I’m about to do, I’m confident that even you will never forgive me. However, this is the only way I can make amends now—the only way to save Joker and this godforsaken city.”

Here, I don't think Bruce read teh whole thing out because Alfred didn't know about the contents of the letter. If so, I think it would be better to put the letter into a box or something rather than enclosing it within dialogue tags.

It's interesting why Alfred threw the letter without even reading it. That honestly wasn't the best move because maybe Alfred knew something which Bruce did not. Alfred could have helped Bruce out. That was a nice cliffhanger though. I wonder what Bruce is going to do next. And also, was the letter written by the person names Richard? I will get to the next chapter soon.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 755
Reviews: 29

Donate
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:50 pm
GoodieGoat wrote a review...



Hello again MeherazulAzim16! Again it is my delight to read your work and attempt to be of use.

Even through this is only the third installment of this chapter I've read I can tell that the plot is unique and special given my first impressions and assumptions about super hero media. As I mentioned previously I believe that there is a lot of plotting and scheming going on though I might not be witnesses to its entirety. The year of the setting being 1894, along with it being set in Gotham of course, and this aforementioned thought conveys a Gothic and Victorian tone that is captivating to me as the reader.

When I read the part about The Joker's conviction being practically preordained I was curious as to when public defenders become prominent which seems to be around the 1940s. This is a subtle touch that adds to your world building.

The only thing I have to add in the form of feedback is in regards to the whole 'show don't tell' thing I mentioned in my review on Chapter 11. The two instances I found of this were "The butler looked pale." in paragraph three and "Bruce didn't have a response." in paragraph twenty seven.

Possible ways you could rephrase them could be;
1.) "Alfred enters the master bedroom with a tray of cucumber sandwiches and a glass of orange juice. The face of the butler turns pale driven by his concerns for his dear friend."
2.) "The storm of emotions proved lethal to whatever words Bruce might have said."

I hope you've found these thoughts helpful and heartening.
Yours,
GoodieGoat





Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato