crushing

by Mageheart

Author's Note: This poem was originally written for my NaPoWriMo thread, but I wanted to improve it during pride - especially since this crush was what made me realize I wasn't as straight as I thought I was. 

(Her hair's also a different color now than it was when I wrote the poem, but I wanted to keep that description in because it was so defining of how she was during April.)

crushing

my first crush
was my childhood
best friend.
we had known
each other since
our years in soccer—
i still remembered
our dirty uniforms
and gaping teeth.
we'd get ice cream
in the park after practice,
kicking our legs
back and forth
on the swing set as
we sang pop songs
in our off tune voices.

it wasn't until eighth grade
that i realized how much
i loved your golden curls
that cascaded down your back
and the way they framed
your face.
i told myself
that friends just feel that
way about each other,
ignoring how
happy i felt when i found
out you liked girls.

in sophomore year,
i finally understood
that i had fallen in love
with both guys and girls,
and that you were the first
of them all.
i let myself imagine
an alternate universe
where i was your girlfriend.
i always thought of you and i
as the perfect juxtaposition.
our names, our appearances,
our personalities—
they all complimented each
other.

but i had to let go of
my fantasies
because we were already
worlds apart.
i never saw you in the halls
and the days
we got together
were distant memories.

but now i see you again.
we talk about our favorite
animes and how our lives
have changed since
we were kids—it's
the senior nostalgia.
your hair no longer cascades
down your back,
but i love how the blue
shines in that little
ponytail every time
i see you.

keystrings wrote a review...

Hey there Mage! One last poem to finish up tonight, but I do hope you write more poetry in the future so I can read them over XD

This poem is certainly a little distinct from the rest in this portfolio, and that comes from the use of the first person and the clear imagery I can really glimpse in my mind.

Also, I just love all the feels that I'm getting from - the development of realizing how you felt about this girl (which was adorable) and the details I really appreciated because I really appreciated getting more things that I can connect with to the first true sensation of a crush. That is a definitely relatable feeling with plenty of other youngsters on here.

The progression through the time periods also worked really well! My few pieces of advice would probably be to either cut the third-to-last and second-to-last pieces as they kind of went together, and to maybe add a slight more detail to these imaginary dates/life you thought of with this girl, but I really dug this!

Furthermore, I think that this does a nice job at bringing in the strengths of your style - more prose-y, narrative, yet with some nice bursts of color and sights that really bring this piece together. ^^

Mess wrote a review...

Love love love this. It made me chuckle, it made me sad and happy. The way it was written honestly reminded me of an old person being nostalgic about the past. I also noticed you didn't use capital letters, I'm guessing that was intentional since it's everywhere.(not sure how to feel about that)

When I got to the fourth stanza my reaction was "oh no, why must you do this to me" and then I was relieved in the last one. It felt even sweeter because of the disappointment I felt in the 4th one.
I didn't notice any mistakes, and I read the poem pretty quickly. I didn't notice a crack in the flow.

Overall, 9.5/10 would read again.

Mageheart says...

Thanks for the review! I'm glad that you enjoyed the poem, and I'm happy to see that you're already figuring out how to use the site. <3

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 am
Liminality wrote a review...

Hello! Your poem caught my eye, so I decided to drop a review.

Themes

I thought you explored your themes very thoroughly in this poem, which I liked. With each stanza you seem to reveal a new aspect of the experience of crushing on another girl, letting the speaker’s discovery of her sexuality unfold in the poem as in real life and keeping the readers invested in her story.

Structure

1. The most immediately striking thing about this poem is your use of enjambments – you have a lot of them. Some of them are used effectively, for example I liked “i still remembered/ our dirty uniforms/ and gaping teeth.” because drawing focus to each aspect separately has a purpose – it shows how fond the memory was to the speaker. However, I don’t think they’re necessary everywhere in the poem, for example, lines 1-3 of the first stanza. To me, at least, rewriting it like this
“my first crush was my childhood best friend.”
doesn’t take a lot out of the poem. Varying the use (or lack of) enjambments in your poem can also help to make a more interesting reading pace, for example using more enjambments to show the intense emotion in stanza 2, but fewer or no enjambments in stanza 1 as it acts as the exposition/ introduction, where the speaker doesn’t yet realise their crush.
2. I liked the way you used dashes immensely to convey sudden thoughts or epiphanies. Furthermore, they are used sparingly enough to preserve the impact, which is something I personally have trouble doing in my writing.

Language

1. I thought you could have included more description of the speaker’s crush in stanza 2, perhaps more about personality or quirks if you want to avoid too many physical features. You have some good descriptors, like “cascaded” and “framed”, and I think you could do very well showing the reader how the speaker is crushing on this person and how they discover their sexuality through the language used rather than telling us straight in the next stanza “i finally understood . . . “, if that makes sense.
2. Relatedly, the last stanza was my favourite because of how you use ‘showing’ rather than ‘telling’ all the way through, choosing to repeat “I see you . . . “ rather than state the speaker’s inner thoughts. I thought this was a really good choice, especially for the last line, because that’s usually the one that readers remember.

This poem has a sweet, earnest feel to it and speaks clearly to the reader, which is why I found it highly enjoyable as a whole. The development of the theme in each subsequent stanza creates a sense of excitement, anticipation and I feel it would be even better if the pace and other structural devices were just as varied and exciting to read. I’m no expert, so some things I mentioned might be a little unclear (feel free to message me if you need clarification!) but hopefully you’ll find these comments helpful.

That’s all I’ve got – happy writing!

Mageheart says...

Thanks for your review! I'll definitely keep your comments in mind when revising this piece in the future. <3

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal