z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Lameness of Paper Messages [Part 1]

by Lightsong


When I was thirteen, there was a crumpled piece of paper under my table. I thought it was someone’s rubbish, given to me as a gift for my nerdy reputation. It had happened, so it wasn’t surprising.

I went to the dustbin at the back corner of the class to throw it it and you came to me to ask what I was doing. I frowned. You never talked to me, and you weren’t supposed to. You were everyone’s favourite; I was everyone’s joke. Being this close to me was bad enough; someone might have thought you had lost your likeable brain and inserted the ugly one like mine in your head.

‘Don’t throw it,’ said you. ‘It’s not rubbish.’

I said it looked like one, and that you shouldn’t be bothered with it.

You frowned, your hand raking through your hair. ‘Look, why don’t you check it first? There might be something in there.’

I raised my eyebrow at you, and looked at the paper in my hand. ‘Alright,’ said I, and unfolded it.

‘Whoa! Not here!’ said you, your hands reaching out to the paper, making me freeze. ‘Check it somewhere else.’ Was it just me, or was your cheeks turned slightly pink as you turned around and walked away?

I pocketed the paper, and went back to my place, the one near the window at the front of the class. The position sucked because the teacher would be able to check your every move as effective as a CCTV camera, but it was excellent to hear what he or she said. Plus, I could always looked out from the window, seeing things that I would not be involved in, and ignored the rest of the students who would only care to whisper poisonous things about me with each other. I was used to it; I had no friends, but I was more comfortable like this. When I was alone, I didn’t need to worry about what I should do, what I should say. All the space was mine.

*

You should socialize more with others, you know. You don’t have to be all by yourself.

It was lunch time. I was in the library with a few others. It was quiet, and cold because of the air-conditioner. And I was furious. Who was this person who dared to tell me what I should or shouldn’t do? Why couldn’t he or she say it to my face if he or she was so right about this? I wanted so much to throw the rubbish into the dustbin for the sheer absurdness it contained.

I should socialize more? I didn’t have to be all by myself -- was that the paper’s way to inform me I was a loner? I had tried. I had tried to talk to people years ago, but they found me odd. The sight of me writing stuffs on the paper, me with a novel in my hand, so absorbed with the story I was reading, and me talking passionately about books and anything related to them were just out of place here. It was tragic enough that I liked to read, because the amount of readers in this class -- no, make it the entire school -- were so small we could be the minority. And what usually happened to minorities?

I should start my own Readers Movement.

So yes, I had tried, and it failed. The failure was a proof that people in general didn’t like anything that was different from them, that was not popular. It was a sad reality, but I had to go through it the moment I put my feet into the school area. Sometimes outside of the school. I thought spectacles were cool when I was seven, but they weren’t anymore. They were my curse, and my need.

I wanted a word with this paper’s owner. Teach him or her a thing or two about the dangers my kind were facing from his or her kind. The thought led me to you. How could you possibly know? That there was something written in the paper? Had you been watching me from the moment I got the paper out of my table? Perhaps it was you, the author of it?

I couldn’t be sure. If the author was insecure enough to tell me what he or she wanted to tell, he or she would be insecure enough too to be seen as someone that was related to the paper. Maybe he or she sent you to me not to throw it away. Maybe he or she told you there was something written in there, but didn’t tell you what was it. Or maybe it was really you.

There were too many maybes. Right now, I wanted to focus on the sure things, like the deadline of English homework, Malay homework, Mathematic homework, and other homeworks the teachers would be happy enough to torture us with. I shifted my attention to the pile of exercise books in front of me and finished the short story I had left mid-way. One homework at a time.

*

I saw you on the field today. I had to admit. You were an excellent football player, the way you maneuver yourself from the opponents and kick the ball to the goalpost to gain points. Too bad football wasn’t the sport I was interested in. I turned around to the badminton court, the racket in my hand. A few students in their PE shirts were there. Syafiq was finally there. Good. I had seen him play badminton in the few occasions where he didn’t play football, and he was terrific in delivering smashes. A worthy opponent.

I wasn’t sure he would play with me until he did. He was one of the Stars, or one of the students who were sprinkled with Stars. Just like you. He smiled at me when I arrived at the court.

‘Hey, Khalid,’ said he, stretching his arms. ‘You want to play against me? You dare?’

How cocky. More motivation for me to beat his ass. ‘Let’s do this,’ said I, not wanting any little chit-chat. His kind shouldn’t converse with me, anyway.

He chuckled, and my heart beat faster than it usually should. The tenor of his voice sounded nice. It was even perfect for his handsome face - the firm jawline, the Western-ish pale skin, and the eyes gleaming mischievously. Even the unruly midnight hair. I suppressed it. If me being a bookworm was bad enough, this was worse. Far worse. I should contain it, so I didn’t react to his chuckle. I didn’t look at him in the eyes. I didn’t want to feel whatever I felt when I did look.

If someone knew I felt this way, I was doomed.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:23 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello hello! Happy RevMo! I'm here to bring this out of the green room for you my dear Lightsong :D (and I haven't forgotten about your novel! It's still on my list and I will get to it soon, I promise!)

I've said this before in other reviews, but one thing I really appreciate about your writing is that you write what you know, which is Malaysian culture. I also love that it feels natural. You don't throw it in our faces like look at me I'm writing in a non-Western culture! I'm unique! like someone not from this culture might do. You write your story and you throw in little details that show us this isn't happening in the States or in Europe, and that's awesome. As I'm sure I've said in other reviews, literary agents in the States looooove diverse authors and authentic diverse stories. :D

You also probably know by this point that I'm a sucker for a good little love story, and this (I think) is going to be a cute little love story. I like the mysteriousness of not quite knowing who this guy is and why she's into him and the mystery surrounding the note (although I'm pretty sure he gave it to her and maybe he's secretly into her too??) I also kind of loved that they play badminton. I know that's a competitive sport for many in the world, but I've just never seen it played that way. In the States it's usually played as just a fun yard game.

Onto the nitty gritty!

When I was thirteen, there was a crumpled piece of paper under my table. I thought it was someone’s rubbish, given to me as a gift for my nerdy reputation. It had happened, so it wasn’t surprising.

Let's talk about this opening for a second. The way the first sentence is phrased, it makes it sound like the only thing that happened to this person in their 13th year was that they received this crumpled up paper "gift". Is it important for us to know that she's thirteen? I don't know where she is? "my table" could be anywhere. Maybe instead of telling us her age, you could show us where she is when she discovered this note. "I walked into science class and noticed a crumpled piece of paper under my seat." or something like that.
Also, "It had happened" is vague. What is "it"?

I went to the dustbin at the back corner of the class to throw it it and you came to me to ask what I was doing.

Now normally I would say to show us this little piece of the conversation, but so far I think the tone of this story lends itself well to this type of telling.

‘Don’t throw it,’ said you. ‘It’s not rubbish.’

"You said", also, dialogue should have " " around it not ' '. :)

‘Look, why don’t you check it first? There might be something in there.’

The second statement is also a little vague. There might be something in there that what? Why would it be important for her to check it?

The position sucked because the teacher would be able to check your every move as effective as a CCTV camera, but it was excellent to hear what he or she said. Plus, I could always looked out from the window, seeing things that I would not be involved in, and ignored the rest of the students who would only care to whisper poisonous things about me with each other.

This description of the merits of this seat confused me a bit. Why does it matter that the teacher will be able to see this boy? And do we really need such a long description on the merits of this seat? Every word counts in a short story and I feel like you could make this description more concise and save these words for somewhere else.

I should start my own Readers Movement.

I don't think you need this statement. It felt a little out of place and random compared to what's around it.

Teach him or her a thing or two about the dangers my kind were facing from his or her kind.

"my kind" versus "their kind" makes it sound like they're different species. This isn't sci-fi/fantasy is it? You could also say "the dangers people like me face from people like him or her". And you could also get a little more specific about what these "dangers" are. That's also a bit vague.

How could you possibly know? That there was something written in the paper?

I think this would sound smoother as one sentence.

Overall, I think you have a nice start here to a cute little love story! I'll leave things there for now, but let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! I'll be back for The Last Light Companion soon!! :D




Lightsong says...


Hey, thanks for the review.

I just want to inform you that the protagonist is a he, not a she; the name Khalid is for boys. :3



Carlito says...


Sorry about that!! :o Reading it back now I see. You might want to give us the name or show the gender a bit earlier so people don't default to girl. And then I'm guessing Khalid likes boys then? (If so, that just adds another interesting layer to this story!)



Lightsong says...


Tis okay. Yeah, I need to give more indication to his gender. I'm so excited and terrified in continuing this story because the issue is very personal to me and I'm going to hit it head on.



Lightsong says...


Tis okay. Yeah, I need to give more indication to his gender. I'm so excited and terrified in continuing this story because the issue is very personal to me and I'm going to hit it head on.



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:35 pm
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there. :P Thought I'd drop a review on this.

So! Short but pretty interesting part. On the surface, not much happens, but I can already see things waiting to unfold.

Okay, so it's totally obvious what the point of the note was and who sent it, and I think it's kind of sweet. Your second person narration is interesting - I actually like how you use it here, only really using it when the 'you' is actually in the room, and not mentioning 'you' when he's by himself or talking to others.

I thought they felt older than 13 - maybe 15 or 16. Thirteen just feels too young for your main character's attitudes and such.

I like how you revealed your narrator's forbidden feelings. Well-done and somewhat subtle. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, if you ever write the next part. :P

I thought the little internal monologue about how he never has had any friends and how he feels out of place because of his bookishness (and, though we don't know it yet, his sexuality), was overall good but a little long. Just a little too much specific self-reflection, especially since the reclusive bookworm is a really common trope in teen fiction.

Specifics:

Plus, I could always looked out from the window

Should be "could always look out the window"

If the author was insecure enough to tell me what he or she wanted to tell, he or she would be insecure enough too to be seen as someone that was related to the paper.

This sentence was confusing. I think you meant "to tell me through a note," or something along those lines.

You used "stuffs" again. That's not a word. :P Neither is "homeworks" - it's all just "homework." Though in the case you used it, "assignments" would be the better word, both in place of "homeworks" and in "one homework at a time." Homework is always a collective.

That's all I've got this time - sorry it's a bit short. Are you planning on posting more parts?




Lightsong says...


Thanks for the review! :D

I plan to post more, but I can't guarantee when. xD Sometimes it takes a while for me to go to the next part, and I've actually done this one only lel.



Carlito says...


@Mea - D: I started my review for this earlier today and came back to finish it and you had already taken it out of the green room. Serves me right I guess for procrastinating my finish :P



Mea says...





User avatar
253 Reviews


Points: 17359
Reviews: 253

Donate
Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:15 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache wrote a review...



Well, hello, lovely! I am Rache, as you know, and obviously, I'm here to review. You also know I review by rambling at you until I've managed to say something. I can't help it. I write to think.

My old bones got all insulted by the title of this, you know. Back in my day, paper messages were the *bomb*. We also didn't really have much of a choice in the matter, because texting and emailing wasn't common until I was at least in high school. So if you wanted to give someone a covert message, paper was the way to go. There was an entire artform dedicated to notefolding that I never mastered. But the 'you' character in this obviously went for the crumbled form of delivery, also acceptable. That works too.

I was quite glad the content matter wasn't "Do you like me? Check yes or no" because that would be rather cliched, though still probable. The content of the crumple contained the same sentiment, but in a way that showed You knew I fairly well. Had been watching I.

In the first half of this, I did think the narrator was younger, maybe 13 tops. In the second part of this, when Syafiq enters the picture, I thought of the narrator as older, maybe 16 or 17. The narrator's dialogue gave me that impression in the latter, as well as Syafiq's, and then the narrator's description of Syafiq was more mature than a 13 year-old's would be. Earlier, what gave me the impression that they were younger? It seemed to be they had only one teacher and classroom, rather than several. Which could be my American filters talking, but who knows.

I suppose I need to read part two to give you my full thoughts on things overall...

Oh! Back to the title. For such a bookish main character, "Lameness" seems very slang. Also, offensive to members of the Disabled community. Mayhaps another word? Inadequacy? Insufferability? Worthlessness? You know better than I what you want to imply.

Back to the story. I think I like how I'm left wondering whether Syafiq is also the person who wrote the note, the You. If so, I'm left wondering why you transitioned from a First-Second narration to a First-Third. Either can work just fine, I suppose.

Writing wise, nothing stood out to me (in a negative way.) I thought your narrator had a great voice that was consistent and relatable.

And apparently, I'm way more tired than I thought and my cat's purring on my lap and I think old me is in need of a nap. I shall find Pt 2 sometime soon. Please let me know if you have any questions! Hopefully I'll be more helpful once I'm a bit more awake.

Rache




Lightsong says...


*screams in delight* omgomgomg *calms self*

Thanks for the review! Yeah, I've been considering at which ages these characters should be. I wanted to make them 16/17 but decided not to because I felt the narrator's voice was a little younger than that, but I guess it's okay because you seem to be fine with I's voice being 16/17.

Anyway! The second part is not there yet because I haven't started it, and I'm a bit of a procrastinator that way since I usually left the first chapter to simmer for a few days, or a few weeks, or a few months. xD But I'll tag you if I post it up and you allow me to. :3



User avatar


Points: 10
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:34 pm
emoglobiin says...



Loved it. The story is so mysterious and there's a lot of questions unanswered, that make me want to keep on reading.
The adjectives used in the description of Syafiq were picked out carefully and they added a lot of character. :)
Not sure if you plan on continuing the story, but I'd love to read more of it!





while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind