Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Supernatural

12+

A Painter & Writer's Magic [Chapter 11]

by Liberty

A/N: Just... a bit... longer. :p

Last Line(s): “No.” Audrey said flatly. “We should go ask Zoya now, if she wants to help.”

Audrey pulled Will out of the room. She was a hundred percent sure that he and Akol had talked about something - something about her. And she didn’t like that her husband was keeping secrets from her. She would make him talk about it sooner or later. 

“An adventure sounds nice, but who’s going to look after Ujalaa?” Zoya prosed. The couple, Zoya and Ujalaa were in the girls’ room. It was a lot like Audrey and Will’s room, but the setting and color scheme was different. Also, instead of one bed, there were two twin beds, on opposite sides of the room. The four of them were sitting on Zoya’s bed.

Ujalaa crossed her arms and pouted. She got off the bed and ran over to her side of the room. The rest of them watched as Ujalaa shuffled through her top drawer on her dresser. She jumped back and held up a notebook and pen. Then she strode back over to the rest of them, all the while, scribbling something on the notebook. She held it out to Zoya.

Zoya furrowed her brows in concern and read aloud what she’d written.

“Just because I cannot go on an adventure, does not mean that you cannot go, Z. I can take care of myself. Please go. For my…” Zoya trailed off. She tossed the notebook across the bed. She crossed her own arms. “No.”

Will rolled his eyes. “Is stubbornness genetic by any chance?” He nudged Audrey.

“I… don’t think so?” Audrey said, tilting her head and watching as Zoya and Ujalaa continued bickering - Zoya talking in a foreign language and Ujalaa signing quickly.

Will held his chin in his hands and brought his knees to his chest. “Are we just going to wait?”

“I suppose?” Audrey crossed her legs.

Seconds turned into minutes and when Zoya finally sighed in defeat, Audrey and Will smiled. Seemed like they were definitely getting help. The teenager rolled her eyes at another sign that Ujalaa did then turned to look at the couple. "I'm coming."

"Awesome!" Audrey grinned, patted her head and jumped off the bed.

Will followed. "Pack some stuff to take with you," he said.

Zoya raised a brow. "You guys have magic. There is no need whatsoever for me to take anything." She raised her head slightly.

"Oh?" Audrey frowned. "We... don't exactly know how to use it, if we do have it."

"Was Akol supposed to tell us about that too?"

Zoya shrugged, ushered them out of her room and slammed the door. Behind the door, she winced slightly, genuinely not meaning to slam it. But she couldn't stop her anger from flaring. Who would take care of Ujalaa? All the kids at the palace bullied her. And Ujalaa wasn't even very capable of handling them, considering how young she was. Maybe it was time Ujalaa got her own wand.

***

That evening, the palace was more alive than it ever was in the past century. In the main hall, the Devils were playing around with magic, showing off their talents, but at the same time, attempting to help out the Painter and Writer with their own magic. Slowly but surely, they were getting the hang of it.

The rest of the kids who were under the age of ten were in a corner of the hall, gossiping. The older kids, who had been granted wands were in another section of the hall. Among them were Zoya and Ujalaa. Zoya had already made her a wand and was surprised to see how fast she caught on to the basics, like going invisible, summoning things, or making things appear out of thin air. Doing magic like that needed a lot of thinking and concentrating and it seemed that Ujalaa had both. Zoya beamed as Ujalaa made another apple appear in front of her. The little girl smiled, grabbed it, and started munching.

In the middle of the hall, Audrey and Will had sort of mastered their art. Akol was leading them, bored and annoyed that it had taken six hours for them to get one thing right. He was sitting on a cushioned chair that Askel had brought for him. The couple still hadn't been properly introduced to him. They'd just been told that the man was Akol's brother.

Speaking of the Devil... "Do it again," he mumbled, clearing the canvas with a wave of his hand.

Audrey ground her teeth. "We've done it sixty-three times already!"

"You've been counting?" Will asked.

"Yes."

"Continue," Akol growled, slumping in his seat yet again.

Askel face palmed, irritated. "Look, you guys," he said, coming in front of them. He was as handsome as Akol. The whitish-blondish hair that reminded Audrey of Draco Malfoy, the coal black eyes that had a tint of gray and his tall stature. "Mrs. Winchester, when you start painting, you have to breathe deeply and know that you're painting super fast. Mr. Winchester, while you watch her hand dance across the canvas, you have to imagine the personality of the thing she's creating. I know it doesn't seem right for a chair to have personality, but if you think and believe hard enough, it works. And when you recite the spell, you both have to chant it three times and..."

"Hold hands," the couple said in unison.

"Right," Askel said. "Try again. This time, you better master it."

Audrey bent down again over the canvas, plucked her paintbrush out of her bun and dipped it into cinnamon brown paint. She breathed deeply and started painting the legs of the chair she had pictured in her mind. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. She closed her eyes. When she opened them, her hand was flying across the canvas. This time, she didn't grin stupidly like she did the first time, and mess up. She now knew she had to keep a straight face. One always learned from their mistakes.

It took seconds for Will to create a personality for the chair. It didn't squeak when it was pushed back on the floor. The cushion was made of leather and that too, didn't break easily. What other personality could a chair have? Will started panicking, because Audrey was pretty much done the painting. Nothing else. There was nothing more.

Audrey stepped back cautiously, and Will stopped thinking - that was the hardest part. He stared at the painting of the chair. Audrey reached out for his hand and he held it firmly. They both took a sharp intake of breath and started the chant.

"Blow life into this painting. Give it its deserved appearance and character,” they said it together, three times.

All around them, there was a silverish glow, but it wasn’t exactly coming from anywhere. It was just… there. Only Audrey and Will could see it. The rest of the Devils and kids in the hall couldn’t see it. That was how the magic on Pluto worked. If you performed magic, only you were able to see it. Not anyone else. And the same for anyone else. That’s why the magic on Pluto was also tremendously dangerous. Not many are able to predict when magic is happening.

When they heard the soft chime that signaled that the chair was ready, Audrey slowly opened her eyes and Will’s flew open in hope that they had gotten in right.

The first thing they saw was the chair. It was beautiful. It didn’t look like any normal chair. It had a cushioned backrest and bottom that was made of leather. And its wood was a very cinnamon-y color.

Will sniffed the air around him. “Do I smell…” He looked at Audrey. “Are you wearing the perfume I gifted you?”

Audrey looked at Will too and they shared a grin. “No. I think it’s the chair.”

Akol and Askel, who were staring at the chair, grinned at each other. Akol got up and patted his brothers’ shoulder. “Thanks, devil.”

“You got it, little brother.” Askel made a clicking sound and winked. Carefree, he tucked his hands into his pockets and strode away.

Akol turned to watch the couple try out the chair. His heart skipped a beat when he saw Audrey laughing, bouncing on her heels. He looked away and shook his head. He took a deep breath. “No no no no no.”

He clenched his fists, plastered a stiff smile on his face and neared the couple. Zoya was standing there too, with Ujalaa. “You guys can try making something else if you want. But after that, you have to go upstairs to your room and do the rest of your packing there.”

Zoya made a face. “Okay, papa.”

Akol rolled his eyes but continued. “Use magic, use normal stuff, use whatever, but just get ready. Quick. You won’t need food.”

“Can we have the invisible food?” Audrey asked, smiling.

Akol nodded. “You can literally magic that up.”

“When do we leave?” Will asked.

“At dawn.”

“Nice. Sounds like a movie,” Will smirked. Audrey laughed.

Akol face palmed. “Don’t take this as lightly as any movie. The fate of Earth is in your hands,” he warned.

“Okay… jeez…” Audrey chuckled.

“Please take this seriously.” He clapped his hands together, pleadingly.

Will raised a brow. Audrey took a sharp intake of breath. A king. A king was begging them. When she noticed that Akol’s eyes were getting watery, she whispered to Will, “Let’s get him out of here.”

Zoya noticed too and walked right out of the dining hall. She would lead them to Akol’s room. Will already knew. He put one arm around Akol’s waist. Audrey held Akol’s hand, patting it every once in a while as they led him out of the dining hall. The Devils and kids all stopped whatever they were doing and parted for the three of them.

Once they were out of the dining hall, Zoya started marching ahead. “Stay strong, my king.”

Halfway up the stairs, Akol started slowing down. The couple both had each of Akol’s arms around the back of their necks.

Will grunted. “Man, you’re getting heavier by the second.” He pulled Akol up again. “Kid, wait up!” he called.

Zoya froze and swiveled around. “Is he okay?”

Audrey stopped walking. As did Will. He painfully held the Devil up as Audrey stood in front of Akol and inspected him. When she saw how slumped he was and that his eyes were closed, she gasped, her hand over her chest.

“...I think he fainted!”

Magebird says...

There's so much that happened this chapter, but all I can think about is how Akol fainted at the end - and how we got to see him interacting with his brother and Zoya again. I hope we get more interactions like that in the future!

I also hope Ujalaa somehow ends up in their group - either by sneaking out or joining them later. It would be great seeing Will and Audrey deal with the two sister's dynamics and shenanigans. <3

Liberty says...

>~< Sorry to disappoint you but Ujalaa couldn't tag along heh.

Fri May 01, 2020 6:06 am
LadyVendetta wrote a review...

Haha, I'm almost caught up... Haha, I'm almost sad about that now, well, let's go. Also, my last review for you was over 3,000, so I may try to top this for you, though!

A/N: Just... a bit... longer. :pI can do this, this looks shorter than the other one.

OK, maybe you could have used this as an opening to say her hair color. Her black brows, for example. Describing them more in passing comments is really helpful for readers

Ooh, sign language! I like the diversity you have here, not too many books have that representation! She can still have mood though, she could be singing slowly and softly or quickly and snappily, you can even convey sarcasm in it. Lot of signers use plenty of facial expressions to convey their point… I’m sorry, you probably already know that, I just got excited.

Wait, did Ujalaa just speak? Am I going loopy from sleep deprivation or why did Will and Audrey not adressing this? If it’s Zoya, make it more clear!
"The rest of the kids who were under the age of ten were in a corner of the hall, gossiping. The older kids, who had been granted wands were in another section of the hall. Among them were Zoya and Ujalaa. Zoya had already made her a wand and was surprised to see how fast she caught on to the basics, like going invisible, summoning things, or making things appear out of thin air. Doing magic like that needed a lot of thinking and concentrating and it seemed that Ujalaa had both. Zoya beamed as Ujalaa made another apple appear in front of her. The little girl smiled, grabbed it, and started munching.

Whoa, Libster, this is long, like three for one long. That’s a good deal for certain things, but not this. It’s long and hard to read. Also, I like the magic, but give this more time. This is NOT, and I repeat, NOT a magic learning montage, so please treat this huge development as learning magic a few chapters or at least a page. Make it somewhat hard and describe the sensation of doing frigging magic better! The next few lines aren’t enough to make up for this, so I expect something better written in the future.

Done the painting. Done with the, you mean?

Zoya made a face. “Okay, papa.”

I gasped, I thought this would be some scandal where Zoya is actually his daughter and then I realized it was sarcasm [/s] and I was disappointed, because, DrAmA[/s]

I mean, he didn’t deny it, hehe.

One tip, for a king, he is not well-spoken. Literally is a bit teen-esque, don’t you agree. He should be more confident and stop sounding like he watches Disney shows in his spare time :P Again, I’m being sarcastic. I don’t want you thinking I’m insulting your characters!

Oof, no pressure, though…

“Okay… jeez…” Audrey chuckled.

Also, watch for the ‘…’ things. It disrupts the flow, which has been slightly shaky this chapter, but is still miles better than when you started!

After room, a comma would be better than a period. I like these three, and I can imagine this in my mind’s eye. I love this.

Started? If she had walked out of the hall, she would have already been ahead. YOu mean she started marching. A better worded way could be “Leading the way, she spoke.” etc

ANother thing, a castle, a dining hall, wands, slaves. Um, this seems a bit reminiscent of the Harry Potter series, just another plot. Make sure you make it your own, you’re creative, you can turn this into something “magical” all on it’s own.
This is why I’m so lonely. Puns

“...I think he fainted!”

Jeez, drama queen XD

OVERALL:

I’ve already voiced all my thoughts. You can tell I enjoyed this chapter and I’l finish up with the last one now, I really like this series! NOw, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve gotten to the point in my reviewing playlist that the sad songs have started. I’m gonna go stare out a window whistfully and come back in a second! :P

Jade

Liberty says...

Lol thanks for the review!! I'm loving them. :)

Hkumar wrote a review...

Hey Liberty!
It is great that Zoya has agreed to come along with the couple. I have started liking her character. The part where kids were using wands reminded me so much of Harry Potter and then you actually mentioned Malfoy's name. Askel is also portrayed handsome just like his brother.
It's the first time we saw the couple use their magical powers. It will be interesting to see in the future how they will make best use of their magic to defeat those angels.
It is clearly seen that Akol and Askel are both very concerned over this whole affair but Aud and Will still don't take these things seriously. Though they are trying their best but still I don't think they have been able to convince Akol that they will accomplish this task of saving his home with all their heart and soul. May be that's why he can be seen fainting in the last part.
It was mentioned in your previous chapter that Akol won't be accompanying them in the journey. So I guess I will really miss his presence because he was really an entertaining character so far. I hope you will bring some new exciting elements in the coming chapters. Especially if Zoya is coming with them I think there's going to be some new humour for us and also this time the couple will be using their powers together.That's going to be exciting!
Great work <3
Keep writing :)

Liberty says...

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:57 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

Hey, Liberty! Just realized I haven't been reviewing your series, so I finally got around to it!
I've been really enjoying this series so far, and I really enjoy Will and Audrey's interactions, specifically in this chapter, with the whole magic stuff.
One small nitpick I had was that I was a bit confused when Akol fainted. Also, did Will and Audrey start helping him along before he fainted? I dunno, the last few paragraphs confused me a little bit. Again, that's a really small nitpick.
I really enjoyed this chapter, (And the whole series) So far. Keep on writing, and have a good day!

Liberty says...

Thanks for the review! I was having trouble writing the last bit, honestly. But basically, Akol started getting emotional when Will said it sounded like a movie. Audrey noticed and they took him up to his room. Halfway, Akol started getting heavy and Will said the thing about Akol being heavy. But Akol had actually fainted halfway up to his room. Does that clear it up for you?

Horisun says...

Yeah, thanks!

Liberty says...

Great! Thanks again for the review! :)

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical