Droppings

by LeutnantSchweinehund

Droppings, droppings, o'er the world,
some are straight and some are curled.
Some are black and others brown,
droppings, droppings, all around.

This poem is (about) dog shit.

Edit: Thank you, Radrook, my friend! You're right, the last line sounds better with "all around." Then again, not sure if that's a good thing, since the poem is intentionally bad, but hey, I think that's clear enough on its own.

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey Leutnant!

I'm Elinor, dropping by to review your poem since I saw this has been sitting in the green room for a while. Because this is intentionally bad, I'm not quite sure what type of feedback you'd like.

It's quite short, though, and if you were planning on revising, I think you could make it a little bit longer. What this did make me think of while reading -- you know the saying that crap wrapped in a pretty bow is still crap? I think you could definitely play around with it a little bit.

I'm not a poet by any means, but if you read a lot of poetry, which I imagine you have, you'll see how heavily stylized a lot of it is. For example:

i love d r o p p i n g s

i n the day and
in the night.

-- I think you get where I'm going. Not that there's anything wrong with such poetry, but it would be fun, and probably quite successful, if you were to lovingly poke fun at what these authors often do by writing about crap.

Just a thought I had. Obviously, this is your poem, and only you can decide what's best.

Thanks for making me laugh! Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

- Elinor

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this poem about dog shit.

I agree, that bad poetry should not be praised just as a badly played game of chess or a clumsy drawing shouldn't be praised. It doesn't help the artist and it only serves to encourage the bad habits that will keep the artist at the mediocre stage by practicing mistakes.

MY Understanding

I understand that you offered this poem as an example of poetry that should not be praised. In that sense the poem works so it cannot be criticized in failing to transmit the exact meaning that the author intended.

However, it can also be viewed as broadly representing all the garbage that infests human society. This is not to say that one man's shit isn't another mans pastry. Only to say that there are things such as murder, theft, muggings, child abuse, etc that generally fall under that category of shite.

Suggestions

The last line to me would seem better if it read this way.

. . . . droppings, droppings, all around.

After all, it makes the droppings worldwide which is actually what is happening in the actual world unfortunately.

Quite a fascinating read for me anyway. For others, of course, all that they might see is the literal shit and in such cases the poem might not seem so multidimensional.but like a dog I like to dig below the surface!

Looking forward to reading more of your work.

BTW

I was tempted to say more of your manure but for the sake of Christian charity I didn't! LOL!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTH0pXZQ5I4

Haha! Thanks!

Yeah, a poem about shit to represent the shit that infests not only the world in general, but the world of poetry especially. Short, vague, completely nonsensical and useless poetry is touted as today's elite, and I just thought I needed to point out how bothersome of a trend it's become.

My other satirical work, 'Cause Freeverse Rulez,' is another such work, only it criticizes the poet who decides to ignore form not deliberately, but out of laziness and lack of effort.

Radrook says...

Yep! That seems to be the case sometimes.
Say: Look what happened here.

Oh, now that's just shameful. Shameful, but damn funny. Totally something my dog would do.

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner