16+

Labels

by LadyShadows

Let them label me, I know who I am.

I am the lion, stronger than the lamb. 

Crazy, creep, liar, and whore,

these names linger forevermore. 

Let them label me; I don't care. 

I am who I am, they'll point and stare. 

Insane, weird, emo, and freak,

I'll be strong before I'm weak. 

Let them label me, they think they're right. 

I know who I am; I'll shine bright. 

Faithless, Heaven, these names and such.

Hatred will never be my clutch. 

Let them label me, I know who I am. 

I am the lion, stronger than the lamb. 

Crazy, creep, liar and whore, 

these names will break me nevermore. 

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:04 pm
megan17 wrote a review...

This is awesome! I love how the narrator is blowing off the bullies/society and not letting them bring em down. This is really powerful. I absolutely loved every part of this poem. The rhymes flowed really good and it overall read great. I was very amazed with how good this was and am very excited to read more of your work!

-Megan17

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 pm
JaylinBoykins wrote a review...

This was excellent. I usually avoid these kinds of poems due to the cliche messages but your poem kept me captivated. It flowed together so fluently and your vocabulary usage was perfect too. In my head, I could almost picture it as a song. The "I am the lion, stronger than the lamb. Crazy, creep, liar and whore, these names will break me nevermore", is catchy. Definitely something that will be stuck in my head today which is what you want from the reader. Amazing job! Keep up the good work

LadyShadows says...

Thank you both megan17 and Jaylinboykins! I am glad my work gave you a good feeling!

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:47 pm
Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here to provide a review.

Thanks for sharing this poem which skillfully and clearly employs verbal irony. It very effectively demonstrates how the mind of tends to justify any behavior which it deems advantageous. But the sad thing behind all this is that a properly educated mind would never do that. A properly educated mind which is familiar with the basic principles of ethics would immediately see that such excuses are illogical. That certain personality characteristics are to be condemned instead of being admired. So the fault is our educational system that tends to produce adults who haven't the faintest idea when they are being unjust or immoral.

Suggestions

forever more. [forevermore]
never more [nevermore]

LadyShadows says...

Oh! Thanks! I actually didn't think that those needed to be together and not spaced. Thanks again!

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie