16+ Language Violence

.

by KingLucifer

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 am
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Hey Avalon how are you doing?! Stella here to review!

So the first thing I noticed is your tenses. You start off in past tense and then you switch to present tense. Be careful with these - it's really important that your tense stays constant - your work looks really lazy otherwise. Always proofread - sometimes reading aloud is the best way to keep aboard your tenses.

Secondly, in terms of the story here, I was confused - you say this is a short story but there definitely seems like there's more to it - are there more parts to come? Even if there are I think that this could use a bit more meat on its bones. What did Beatrix do to feel Anna's wrath? I think that the whole idea of her 'playing the hero' needs to be discussed more - how big of a deal was it really? Is Anna overreacting, or did Beatrix really do something wrong? And was it against Anna? I'm assuming the two are sisters, so is it a personal dispute, or a political type one? Do they have different alliances/alignments and that's why they're fighting?

Especially with the HP universe you have the chance to talk about the houses they were in in Hogwarts to help us get a feel for their unique environment to make them so different. Is Anna a Slytherin and Beatrix a Gryffindor? If so, tell us! It will help the story to make much more sense and also be so much more interesting.

Also, while I thought the whip thing was cool, to fully immerse your reader in their world, I think that an actual incantation/spell might be more effective. This could be any universe right now, but it isn't, it's quite a specific one and I think you should show that.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

Avalon says...

Like I say with IamTraunt, patience I will explain everything in due time.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 am
IamTraunt wrote a review...

Hey! IamTraunt here to review ;)

Nitpicking Time!

She had lost control and crashed, sending her to the ground. She groans from the pain of her landing slowly pulling her senses together after a wild flight though the air.

You need a comma after 'crashed'. I would also suggest putting a full stop after 'ground' so the sentence doesn't drag on.
~
Then a second figure lands a slender female who brandishes her wand as she approaches the fallen Beatrix who was still trying to get back on her feet.

This sentence is a little choppy. You need to sandwich this sentence together, like so:
Then a second figure lands. A female who brandishes her wand as she approaches the fallen Beatrix, who was still trying to get back on her feet.

~
The slender female pulls her arm back and then whips it forward and her wand became a long whip of magic.

There is quite a bit of redundancy in this bit, why not put: (you also change from present to past tense)
The slender female pulls her arm back, then whips it forward and her wand becomes a long whip of magic.

~
"This is what you get, this is what happens when you think you can play hero!” Anna growls her teeth clenched with anger.

I would cross this part out: (also you need a comma)
"This is what you get, this is what happens when you think you can play hero!” Anna growls, her teeth clenched with anger.

~
Anna pulls tighter on the whip as Beatrix tries to pull away but the force between the two only tightens the whip further searing itself into Beatrix’s arm.

Again, this sentence is choppy. I think you should put:
Anna pulls tighter on the whip as Beatrix tries to pull away, but the force between the two only tightens, the whip further searing itself into Beatrix’s arm.

~
Finally, after a few minutes, Anna releases the magic and whip disappears, but the damage is already done - the skin where the magical whip had been was burned and scarred.

~
Beatrix only gently sobs to herself tears streaking down her cheeks as she nurses her left arm close to her chest.

This sentence is a little iffy, maybe you should put:
Beatrix only gently sobs to herself, tears streaking down her cheeks as she nurses her left arm close to her chest.

~
Beatrix finally opens her eyes and see’s Anna’s wand pointed right at her face finally she looks at the older girl a fire was burning in her black eyes.

'See's' needs to be 'sees'. Also, you need to split these sentences up. Where you put 'finally' you need a full stop before it.

And that is my nitpicking done! I think you just need to read this a loud and see where you need to put commas and where you need to split your sentences because some are really long and you need a break.
This was certainly an interesting tale. But at the end I was asking myself the question:
What did Beatrix do?
I really want to find out!

Good job. Keep it up

Avalon says...

Patience all is explained in due time.

IamTraunt says...

Oh, okay.
Your welcome...

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell