z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence Mature Content

Today, I Locked Myself and Cried: A Series of Poetry

by Kelisot


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

Sadness

Today I cried in the bathroom
Sobbing like a lost madman
And no one came to comfort
This soul is in great distress

Who will ever see me? Who?
I'm still trapped in here now
With music playing on loop
I still cry in a damn bathroom

~~~~~

Fly away

I feel no comfort from prayers
When tears start to run dry
The eyes start to overflow them
Like wells, like a water vessel

No one is reaching me here
Let's go somewhere unknown!
Wouldn't you love dying from
Something you don't know about?

~~~~~

I am sending

It's still sending
That one image
It wouldn't load
I am waiting for it

Still waiting for
Love, cold love
Only one side
Seen by me

~~~~~

It's for the better

Leaves grow and die
Clothes are on and off
And this cycle goes
Round and round again

It's for the good, we say
So that no one will cry
Yet why, why are you
Sobbing with me, friend?

~~~~~

Love and Die

I can finally die with joy
Laughing in an afterlife
You know me, little boy
When love swung a knife

Let me embrace you again
We can leave when darkness
The shadows, my little bane
When you are the stillness

So come to me and leave
Back and forth like this tree
Fate has sewn a nice weave
Let's die together with glee

But don't cry because I
Ai, ai, I cried a red dye

~~~~~

I'm Sorry

I'm sorry for what I did
Burning you for a bid
With SOS, you scream
Your soul is still agleam
And my mind is still a kid

~~~~~

Another Queer Ballad

I am not like the evergreen but an oak tree,
Leaves shedding like tears naked with shame.
Someone left my psyche, it was Lady Glee.

So I locked myself, injuring my dusty knee.
And there is nothing left on my lips but blame,
I am not like the evergreen but an oak tree.

A pinch of poison and sugar, an evil flea,
That is what my mother called, my name.
Someone left my psyche, it was Lady Glee.

I laughed with you, scraping my weak knee.
You mended me, caressing me as you came
I am not like the evergreen but an oak tree.

I started to itch and scream, just from a flea,
But you protected me and slain, with a maim.
Someone left my psyche, it was Lady Glee.

There is one thing we know, what we agree
That we will love, and we are great acclaim.
I am not like the evergreen but an oak tree.
Someone left my psyche, it was Lady Glee.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:32 pm
View Likes
Horisun wrote a review...



Hiya! Thanks for requesting a review, I hope you are having a great day or night!
Since these are seven unique poems, I'm going to try and review them separately. First off would be your poem "Sadness"
Your use of figurative language here was great, and it seems to be a strong suit of yours, running through all your poetry. The line "Sobbing like a lost madman" was particularly potent. I did think line three and four of the first stanza felt a little disconnected from one another, though I'm not certain why.
Your next poem, "Fly Away" felt a little bit like a continuation of your previous poem. Though this is possibly unintentional, I liked how the first poem is about being 'trapped' while the second is titled 'Fly Away' They both also have similar themes of isolation, if for different reasons.
I found myself chuckling a bit at "I am Sending", it was very relatable, even if it later takes a darker turn. It does feel a little out of place among the other poems, but I do enjoy it on its own.
"Love and Die" and "I'm Sorry" are both very good. My favorite line between the two was

When love swung a knife

As I said earlier, you have a particular talent regarding figurative language. I can 'see' the things you're feeling, if that makes any sense? It makes for a very lively read.
"Another Queer Ballad" was fantastic, though I wouldn't have known it what exactly it was about without the title. It was also distinct from your prior poems, while also still feeling like a continuation. It's a brilliant conclusion to this small collection of poetry, and though each of them stands on their own, together, they make a beautiful short anthology.
All in all, this was a wonderful read. I haven't read poetry in a while, but now I think I've been missing out! Thank you so much for asking me to take a look at this, I had so much fun reading it :) Keep on writing and have a fantastic day!




Kelisot says...


OH MY GOD THANK YOU FOR READING AHKFDSJLJ
I didn't expect you to give a review-- gosh, I should be making reviews too after all! Thank you for reviewing!



Horisun says...


No problem! I loved reading this! :D



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:01 pm
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi there Kelisot! I'm only going to focus on two of your poems today, as I figure it's better to give more in-depth feedback on a couple than very vague feedback on all of them!

First I want to quickly talk about the title - I find the phrase "I locked myself" to be super interesting. It's not saying "I locked myself in [to a room]", since it's missing the "in", so it seems as if the verb (locked) is being applied directly to the object (myself). To me, that makes it sound like an internal struggle as opposed to a struggle with the narrator's surroundings. Perhaps the narrator has "locked themself" in that they no longer know how to act like themself. Perhaps it's more that they feel mentally numb. Perhaps it's that they feel like certain emotions have become locked inside them and they don't know how to get them out, so they simply can't feel or express some of their emotions. It's hard to tell just from the title alone, obviously, but I do quite enjoy that the title made me think so much before I even started reading the poems!

Love and Die

I think this poem is about two lovers finally reuniting at the end of their lives. It sounds like they have a lot of history, but they've put that all aside because there are higher stakes now. I can't tell if the imminent death being referred to throughout the poem has to do with old age, dangerous circumstances, or potentially even a double su*c*de - but regardless, it seems that the narrator is expecting to die soon and is determined to be defiantly happy and alive in the meantime.

One of my favourite parts of this poem was the phenomenal sound devices you used throughout. "Laughing in afterlife" especially was just beautiful - I couldn't place why at first, but then I realized it's because of the repetition of the "aff" sound in laughing and afterlife. And I enjoyed the repetition of the "i" sound in the closing couplet: cry, I, ai, ai, I, cried, & dye. I imagine that hearing those two lines spoken aloud would be amazing.

In terms of a main critique, I found that a lot of the poem was just sentence fragments. It made the ideas feel disjointed from one another, and sometimes I genuinely couldn't parse what was going on or where one thought stopped and another started. For example:

We can leave when darkness
The shadows, my little bane
I expect darkness to be doing something in the second line; we can leave when darkness arrives, or something like that. Instead two new nouns (the shadows & little bane) are introduced, with no clear connection to the previous line (and no clear connection to the line after, either). This kind of thing happens several times throughout the poem. I think there's a good chance this is because you were trying to accommodate the rhyme scheme, and compromised clarity/good flow to do so. I would encourage you to remove the line breaks, and look at the poem like that to see if it actually makes sense, sounds natural, and forms complete sentences. Workshop that and then put it back into poem form!

I'm Sorry

I love a good limerick! It can be interesting to play around with darker subject matter in a limerick, since the form is so strongly associated with playful themes and comedy. It creates a big contrast when you take the playful form and use it to write a morbid poem!

Looking at structure, your lines are all very similar in length. Typically, lines 1, 2, and 5 are longer than lines three and four. Usually the longer ones are 7-10 syllables while the shorter ones are 5-7. Obviously you don't need to conform to that rule, but it is something that a lot of readers will expect when they go into reading a limerick; so just something to keep in mind! If you don't mind contradicting readers' expectations, it's perfectly fine to leave as is.

I'm sorry for what I did (7)
Burning you for a bid (6)
With SOS, you scream (6)
Your soul is still agleam (6)
And my mind is still a kid (7)


I like that you manage to pack the poem so full of images in such a short space. You use very evocative language: burning, scream, agleam. And that makes the whole thing feel vivid and engaging for sure. Also love the subtle alliteration of "burning" with "bid" in line two!

I feel like there could be a lot of backstory to this poem! It's hard to capture an entire conflict in just 5 lines, but you did a great job considering that. I think the poem's about something that happened while the narrator and the person being addressed were still kids. The narrator majorly betrayed the other person in some way - perhaps for a dare? or to gain popularity? - and now they regret it. The other person, though, is still facing the negative repercussions of whatever happened, which makes the reader question if they'll actually accept the narrator's apology or if the narrator is just kind of speaking into the void.

Overall - while I didn't review all your poems in this set, I did read them all, and I definitely see a thread of interpersonal conflict / relationship problems that kind of unites them all. Some are conflicts from the past, some from the present, some in person, and some online, which adds interesting variety and means that the theme is being looked at from a lot of different angles. I hope this review proves useful for me, and let me know if there was a poem you really wanted feedback on that I didn't get to; I can leave a comment on a specific poem if you'd like!

Best,
Seirre




Kelisot says...


Thank you for your review. I've used some of these poem ideas from personal issues and experiences (not all, just the mild ones like the crying in the bathroom,) and I'm glad you understood the meanings.
Hope you have a great day




Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson