Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Realistic

2am rant from a writer who hasn't written written fiction in a long time

by Kazumi

Hello. [Kazumi] here.

To be quite frank, I don't want to write right now. It feels pretty lazy to write. I mean, I can write. I have a small headache that has persisted for two days despite constant sleeping and room isolation, but my temperature hasn't risen at all, my appetite is still strong, and as you can clearly read, I can still write quite nicely. So yes, I am still very much capable of writing--mentally and physically.

However, nakakatamad magsulat.

Or in English, I feel too lazy to write. Or I don't feel in the mood to write. Or it takes a great effort for me to get myself to write. You see why I expressed it in Tagalog? I'd say I'm pretty damn fluent in English, perhaps even more fluent than an average Englishman or American my age. But in Tagalog I could express that feeling in just two words. Two very crisp words. Two very crisp words that roll off the tongue so nicely when you hear a Filipino say it in native Tagalog accent. Nakakatamad magsulat. It's so concise, well-contained and perfect, like the sound of a little whiskey being poured into a glass with two ice cubes while the jazz quartet plays in the background.

Speaking of jazz quartet, I'm now listening to my jazz playlist on Spotify. Now, I don't know who the fuck is performing the music I'm listening to. It could be Stan Getz, Lester Young, or whoever else I picked out from Haruki Murakami's vinyl record playlist. I just picked some pleasant jazz songs on aforementioned playlist, looked at the artists, and added as many of their albums and songs into my playlist. God damn, music has never been so cheap these days.

It's very pleasant. I like Billie Holiday in particular. Billie Eilish? I don't know her, sis. Holiday has some very soothing jazz vocals, especially in her Lady in Satin album, which has her accompanied by a whole-ass orchestra. However, I do prefer her older, simpler records where she simply performs with Lester Young. It feels homier, more cozy, and more fitting of a jazz bar than the grandiose instrumentals of Lady in Satin.

Anyway, this jazz playlist of mine is important. It's because with it, I can trick my brain into writing. Oh my lordy. It's really simple. I just pop my Spotify open, put this playlist on shuffle, and get on my word processor/notebook.

Think of it like this. Would you rather write in your room, or would you rather write in your room with a nice cup of Starbucks latte by your side? It's that beverage entertainment, baby. It's that little something fun to go with your writing that encourages you to actually sit your ass down on that desk in the first place. And once you have strategically positioned your ass on that magical writing chair (not desk, my mistake), you have officially beaten procrastination. Procrastination is dead. You are geared up and one word away from beginning your work as a writer for that day.

Look where that got me now. I first started with a Lady in Satin song with the goal of only writing 300 words for the day. But five songs and one Spotify ad later, I have probably written 500, 600 words already? Fucking amazing. Jazz is fucking amazing. Rock and roll may die, rap may get phased out, but I hope jazz never fucking dies out. If a dictator rises up in my country and for some reason bans jazz, then by golly gee I am going to get my ass on the street pulling a one-man demonstration, clamoring for the return of Frank Sinatra and the other sexy voices I hear in these records. Or I may as well just secretly download those and store them in USBs, which I will illegally distribute to friends. I can't write when I'm dead, you know. (Unless there are pens in the afterlife. Which I doubt. I'm not sure if being in an eternal state of union with God includes writing materials, or if Satan's that decent of a guy.)

Anyway, things are getting too long, so I will shut things off soon. I would like to say one thing, however. I'm saying this not for you, but for me. You know how you remember things you write down better than mental notes you make in your head? Same logic here. I am publicly stating this for myself, so that this is imprinted in my head.

Two years ago a guy believed in me. He was a stranger, but he said I would go far. I was, at my youthful age, disciplined, compared to him, who at my age was just tinkering around with DoTA and fucking around with friends. He said I was disciplined, and that I could go far, and it was good that I was ambitious.

Someone believed in me. Someone believed in me.

In the grander scheme of things I might not be special. But now, I have to believe the lie that I am special and that I am talented and that I will go far, because that is the only way that I will get shit done. Because quite frankly, the writingless and lazy and YouTube-filled rut that I am in--it is totally unbecoming of someone who is special. It is unbecoming of someone who will go far in life and perhaps etch themselves into the pantheon of great artists of history. It is unbecoming of who I am. So I need to get my shit together.

Good night.

mellifera wrote a review...

Hello Kazumi!

So, I don't usually review articles/essays because I'm not at all versed in any nonfiction piece, so I doubt I have much helpful feedback. Please take what I say with a grain of salt!

That said, let's get into it, shall we?

To be quite frank, I don't want to write right now. It feels pretty lazy to write. I mean, I can write.

"It feels pretty lazy to write" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but perhaps you were going for something I'm not processing? You say later that you personally feel too lazy to write, but here you say it feels pretty lazy to write, which is somewhat contradictory?

And also, by saying you don't want to write, it already kind of implies that you can? I'm so used to snipping unnecessary sentences out of prose, so honestly, do with that what you will, but I don't think you need that "I can write" there unless you want to twist it as "I can write, however, I don't want to."

like the sound of a little whiskey being poured into a glass with two ice cubes while the jazz quartet plays in the background.

This is beautiful imagery and I love it! I don't love the flow or "a little whiskey" instead of just "whiskey being poured into a glass", but otherwise, I really do love this description.

Speaking of jazz quartet, I'm now listening to my jazz playlist on Spotify. Now, I don't know who the fuck is performing the music I'm listening to.

aha I love the subtle "I don't even want to talk about not wanting to write so let's talk about anything else" change of topic

God damn, music has never been so cheap these days.

"has never been so cheap these days"? I think this is supposed to be "music has never been so cheap" because "never been so" and "these days" clash with each other. (also, out of curiosity, this almost sounds like you don't like that it's cheap? I'm not sure if that was your intent or not!)

I like Billie Holiday in particular. Billie Eilish? I don't know her, sis.

I'm not exactly sure why you mentioned Billie Eilish? She's not the only other musical artist whose name starts with Billie lol. I know there might have been a "I'm not interested in that kind of music", which is fine, but it did feel random to me.

Anyway, this jazz playlist of mine is important. It's because with it, I can trick my brain into writing.

There was an ulterior motive! I know I said that I liked that you switched the topic before, but I actually also really like that you tied it right back into writing!

Think of it like this. Would you rather write in your room, or would you rather write in your room with a nice cup of Starbucks latte by your side? It's that beverage entertainment, baby.

While I do also really enjoy this mental image, it feels like a sudden switch? I wish there was more of a segue into this description, rather than going from talking about how jazz makes it easier for you to write to describing what the ideal writing situation would be, y'know?

(Unless there are pens in the afterlife. Which I doubt. I'm not sure if being in an eternal state of union with God includes writing materials, or if Satan's that decent of a guy.)

This made me smile :]

You know how you remember things you write down better than mental notes you make in your head?

Don't I know it.

It is unbecoming of who I am

This is?? a very uplifting line?? I love

I really like the mention of that person who believed in you and your writing! It really transitioned nicely from talking about not wanting to write to how you get yourself motivated to what helps to keep you going! Having someone to believe in an artist is really one of the greatest gifts around, and I'm glad someone did that for you!

Overall, I think this was a very nice piece! Hopefully some of my suggestions were helpful, and if you have any comments/questions about anything I said, please feel free to let me know!

I hope you have a fantastic time! Happy RevMo!

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 am
BIHXY wrote a review...

i usually only review poetry because i tend to find articles and chapters way too lengthy, this on the other hand caught my eye and rightly so. this is very relatable and i can understand the feelings of the speaker and i think that is the most important thing in any piece of writing. i must say, you have inspired me to write an article and get out of my poetry comfort zone;)lol.. but anyway this is good and the fact that it is personal makes it even better.
Really good stuff here.

Hkumar wrote a review...

Hi Kazumi!

I hope you are doing well. Since this feels like a personal piece where you have a expressed about your feelings I am not going to judge it like any literary piece. I feel it's a very good way to pen down your emotional state in order to lighten up the weight from your chest. The title just caught my eye because I too rant about a lot of things in my life around 2 am.
Your quote 'I feel too lazy to write' is so relatable for me. English is not my mother tongue so sometimes I do feel I am unable to express my feelings with the correct set of words in this language and that can be really frustrating sometimes.

I agree a hundred percent with what you said. I do end up making a lot of mental notes about my life problems and they just end up being piled up and just make me feel more guilty every time. My mind is so tired and frustrated at times that I really can't find the strength to write anything and the guilt just eats me from inside.
There was a time when I too lived a very disciplined life and was ambitious but that me is now lost somewhere. Writing is not my profession and will never be, I just use it as a way to divert and comfort my mind. I guess I should stop now otherwise I will end up ranting about my problems here.
One thing you wrote very correct in the beginning you definitely can write very well and it's clearly visible with the way you have expressed yourself so honestly above. Well I hope all goes good with you and you find your motivation :D

All the best for future works.

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot