z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Mature Content

how many cyberpunk tests am i gonna do? who knows. warning: lots and lots of bad language.

by Jyva


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Fuck it. Listen.

There’s a rainy street down the half-flooded part of New York. There’s glowing neon signs and the stink of cigarette smoke in the air. People are walking down the cracked pavement with their eyes cast downward, stepping over faded advertisements for the latest body modifications and the latest robot hookers. Down this street is an inconspicuous-looking building, and outside the building is parked an inconspicuous-looking car. At the door to that building are three people – or two, depending on how you digest this next bit of information. One of the people there is a young-looking guy in his twenties, and he is white. Whitest guy you’ve ever seen. White eyes, white hair, white sweater covering his thin white body. His name’s Christopher Silverstone, but that’s a secret. Next to him are Claire Holt and then newly-born Amy Holt. Their names are a secret, too. Amy is Claire’s clone, which is why she’s currently hiding her face with Claire’s hoodie. Amy is who Claire used to be, or would have been. She’s got neatly-cut brown hair, a worried face, and a tendency to look at anything that moves. Claire, by contrast, has a Nix cigarette between her teeth, a bird tattoo on her right shoulder blade, and a violently punkish hairstyle that can change into any colour of the rainbow thanks to the wonders of sci-fi technology. For sale in the distant future for the low price of ten bucks and a contract kill. Available in a range of textures and lengths. Braided styles now 20% off.

Now why, do you ask, is the world’s whitest person and a generic punk chick (and her clone) standing outside this inconspicuous-looking building? It’s because they gotta talk to the people inside, duh. Foul Dagger, “specialist guild” for hire, also known as a bunch of hitmen living together in a shack. Why are they called Foul Dagger? Hell if I know. Sounds like a terrible name. Anyway, back to business.

Claire knocks on the Blue Dagger guildhouse’s door, which has a nice sign sticky-taped onto it, saying “FUCK OFF” in big red letters. The door’s opened by a woman named Mallory Fynn. She’s got long black hair and a resting bitch face.

Amy, Claire’s clone, does her best to hide herself from Mallory. This was a wise action, but at the same time an unnecessary one. Why? Because Mallory’s a bitch. Mallory sees Claire and shuts the door before Claire can even groan. A moment passes in which Claire groans. Then she knocks on the door again. When Mallory Fynn refuses to show her resting bitch face to the small group a second time, Claire says aloud, “Mal, open the fuckin’ door.”

A voice from within the guildhouse can be heard saying the same thing, and Mallory opens the door again, clearly in dire need of a tampon and love.

“What do you want?” Mallory snaps.

Claire gets right to it. “Where’s Jackson?” she asks.

“Why the fuck would I know?” Mallory replies.

“Because he fucks you in the ass every other weekend, dickweed,” Claire shoots back, showing absolutely no regard for Mallory’s dignity or reputation. Christopher – remember him? He’s the white guy. Christopher stifles a giggle. Amy’s face goes red. “Where’s Jackson?” Claire repeats.

Mallory, to her credit, does not immediately shoot Claire in the face, instead settling with closing the door again.

Chris now has to cover his mouth. Amy is still blushing like mad. Claire, being very tired of Mallory’s shit at this point, kicks the door open. For the uninitiated, kicking a door open is quite a feat of strength. Not many people can do it – but then again, not many people have techno-bullshit reinforcing their legs. The Foul Dagger’s (Daggers’?) door swings open, and Mallory, having deftly stepped to the side to avoid it, is now very peeved.

In view beyond the Foul Dagger doorway is a messy kitchen, a 21st-century coffee machine, and a dude sprawled on an assortment of beanbags.

“Yo,” says the dude, “I ain’t fixing it this time.”

Claire ignores him and repeats her question to the peeved Miss Fynn. “Where is he?”

Mallory sighs for dramatic effect and decides to delay just to spite Claire. “Why?”

“Need him for a job. Where is he?” Claire repeats.

Mallory finally gives an answer. “Where he always fuckin’ is. Fighting ring down the subway.”

Claire gives Mallory a finger gun as a reward for her information, throwing in the world’s most transparent smile for free because she’s generous like that. “Thanks, bitchtits,” Claire says. “Ciao.” Our punk rock anti-heroine turns and walks to the inconspicuous car from the first paragraph, Chris and Amy in tow. They get in and do a U-turn to the beat of DJ Reisz’spop hit Get Fucked, Cunt blaring from the car’s speakers.

Not really how you’d expect the beginning of the end of the world to go, but hey. There it is.

a/n: i wonder how many writing styles i'm gonna jump through before i get bored of doing this stuff.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 am
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Jyva. Pan here to fry up a review.

Wow. It's a rare thing on this site for me to be so hooked in by a piece that I almost forget to read it critically, but you achieved that with this. I adore the voice of the narrator - you get such a strong sense of their personality within the first few lines, and you maintain that throughout with your coarse descriptions of characters and liberal use of swearing. The setting is incorporated effortlessly, too - people always go on about the necessity of showing in writing, but an even harder skill is being able to tell in a way that holds the reader's interest. A lot of what you do in this opening is exposition, but there's enough mystery to hook me in and it's so well handled that I want to know more.

A truly polished piece. And your opening and ending lines are killer.

There's not much for me to comment on, but I will give a few pointers:

1) As brilliant as the narrator's voice is, be careful that it doesn't intrude too much on active scenes. For instance, in this exchange:

“Because he fucks you in the ass every other weekend, dickweed,” Claire shoots back, showing absolutely no regard for Mallory’s dignity or reputation. Christopher – remember him? He’s the white guy. Christopher stifles a giggle. Amy’s face goes red. “Where’s Jackson?” Claire repeats.


It's not a huge issue, but having the narrator chip in with little comments can pull the reader out of the scene and distance them from the action. For the most part, you manage to do this effectively, but be careful that it doesn't happen too much. The narrator's voice is so distinctive that the reader will need the occasional breather.

2) Also, cutting out unnecessary telling. Sometimes you reinforce something to the reader that they can already infer from the text. An example in the quote above would be the clause 'showing absolutely no regard for Mallory's dignity or reputation'. You don't need it, because we can already glean from Claire's crass comment that she doesn't care about Mallory's dignity. It specifies something that we can tell for ourselves.

Another instance would be here:

Claire, being very tired of Mallory’s shit at this point, kicks the door open.


We can kind of guess from the fact that she's kicking the door down that she's tired of her shit. If you want to keep the same rhythm, maybe replace the line in bold with a clause that further highlights her exasperation - something about her huffing air through her nose or rolling her eyes or whatever she does in that hesitation before slamming her foot into the door.

If you give the piece another read through, just keep a keen eye out for anything that isn't necessary to the reader's understanding. It's only a minor issue, but it will tighten the piece up.

I don't really have much else to recommend. I was really impressed with this - it's the best piece I've read on YWS for a long time. My presence on this site is really irregular, but if you decide to continue this, could you please PM or tag me when you post the next part? I really want to know what happens next!

Hope this helped!

Keep writing!:D
~Pan




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 135
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:58 am
MysteriousNorge wrote a review...



Oh my, that's a lot of swearing! Kinda like me! I love the made-up swear that Claire said. It made me laugh XD

The name should be Foul Daggers'. It depends on what you think suits the name of a location.

But yeah, this was an interesting piece I've read. Never have I ever read something that has lots and lots of swearing!





Some people file their [tax] returns inside of a dead fish.
— John Oliver