Professor - 2

by Jahandar

As Thomas stood in front of his class, he began to speak about the philosophers of the 19th century. He expounded upon the ideas and theories of thinkers such as Kant, Hegel, and Marx, explaining their impact on the world of philosophy and their lasting legacy.

As he spoke, Thomas couldn't help but wonder why there seemed to be fewer philosophers today who were as fundamentally influential as those of the past. He paused in his lecture and turned to his students, his brow furrowed in thought.

"One might wonder why we don't see as many fundamentally influential philosophers in our own time," he began. "I believe this may be due in part to the rapid pace of change that we experience in the modern world. The world of the 19th century was a much different place, and I believe that this slower pace of change allowed for more time for contemplation and deeper thinking.

"Additionally, I believe that the proliferation of technology and the internet has led to a more superficial and fleeting form of discourse. We have access to more information than ever before, but I fear that this has led to a focus on quick, surface-level analysis rather than deep, fundamental thinking.

"But I have hope that this trend will change. There are still those among us who are dedicated to the pursuit of truth and understanding, and I believe that it is through their efforts that we will see the emergence of truly influential philosophers once again."

Despite his concerns, Thomas remained optimistic about the future of philosophy. He continued his lecture, pointing out that there were still many philosophers today who were making important contributions to the field.

"I do not wish to diminish the work of contemporary philosophers," he said. "There are many among us who are doing vital and valuable work, and it is important that we recognize and support their efforts.

"For example, there are philosophers who are exploring the ethical implications of artificial intelligence and the responsibilities that come with its development. Others are examining the intersection of politics and philosophy, seeking to understand how we can create a more just and equitable society. And still others are delving into the nature of consciousness and the self, trying to understand the very foundations of our existence.

"These are all important and worthy endeavors, and I believe that they will lead to a deeper understanding of the world around us and our place within it. So let us not despair, but rather embrace the opportunity to continue the never-ending pursuit of truth and understanding."

Thomas was pleased to see that philosophy had come such a long way in recent years. He felt that the field had made tremendous progress in understanding the world and our place within it.

"I am heartened by the advances we have made in philosophy in recent years," he said. "I believe that we have made great strides in understanding the complexities of the world around us and our place within it.

"Through careful analysis and critical thinking, we have been able to shed light on some of the most fundamental questions of existence. We have examined the nature of reality, the nature of consciousness, and the nature of the self, and we have made significant progress in understanding these concepts.

"And I believe that this is only the beginning. There is still so much more to learn, so much more to discover. I am confident that as we continue to explore and to ask the right questions, we will continue to make progress and to deepen our understanding of the world and ourselves."

As the esteemed professor of philosophy at the university, Thomas had spent a lifetime studying and contemplating the intricacies of the human experience. Standing at the lectern, he addressed his students with the gravitas of a man who had dedicated his life to the pursuit of truth.

"The importance of asking the right questions cannot be overstated," he began, his deep voice resonating throughout the lecture hall. "For it is only through the process of questioning that we may hope to uncover the answers that elude us. It is the driving force behind all intellectual inquiry, the catalyst for progress and understanding.

"And yet, it is a skill that is too often overlooked in our modern age. We are too often content to accept the answers that are presented to us, without pausing to consider the validity or depth of our own understanding. But it is only through the act of questioning, of actively seeking out the truth, that we may hope to arrive at a deeper, more meaningful understanding of the world around us."

Thomas paused, allowing his words to sink in before continuing. "And so I implore you, my dear students, to never underestimate the power of a good question. For it is only through the act of questioning that we may hope to uncover the secrets of the universe, and find our place within it."

"Dear students, in today's world of technology, it is easy to become reliant on the vast amounts of information at our fingertips. However, it is not the accumulation of knowledge that truly matters, but rather the ability to ask the right questions. It is through asking the right questions that we are able to gain a deeper understanding and discover the truth. I encourage all of you to embrace the art of questioning and to never be afraid to seek out the answers that truly matter. Remember, it is not the quantity of information that we possess that matters, but the quality of our understanding and the depth of our curiosity."

Arthur was a tall, elegant student with glasses. He had a careless disposition and was sitting in one of the front rows of the classroom. For him, asking information and meaningful questions was an important tool for better understanding in the next lesson.

"Dear Professor, technology is advancing rapidly today and information is easily accessible everywhere. In this case, the importance of accessing information decreases and asking the right questions increases. How do you think this will affect the future of philosophy?"

"Arthur, your question is quite astute. In today's technology-driven world, it is easy to become lost in the sea of information that is constantly being fed to us. And while it is certainly true that technology has allowed us to access an unprecedented amount of knowledge, it is equally true that it has made it more difficult for us to sift through that knowledge and determine what is truly important.

This is where the importance of asking the right questions comes into play. By posing thought-provoking, meaningful questions, we can cut through the noise and really get to the heart of the matter. We can begin to understand the underlying causes and effects of the issues we face, and ultimately arrive at a deeper understanding of the world around us.

So yes, in a way, the ability to ask the right questions has become more valuable than ever before. It is the key to unlocking the true potential of our knowledge and understanding, and to making informed decisions about the way we live our lives."

The student, a young woman with long curly hair and glasses perched on her nose, raised her hand tentatively. Professor Thomas, noticing her hesitation, encouraged her to speak up. "Yes, what is your question?" he asked kindly.

The student fiddled with her pen before finally mustering the courage to ask, "Why do universities tend to focus more on Western philosophy than Eastern philosophy? It seems like there is a clear bias towards the Western perspective."

Professor Thomas nodded thoughtfully, his bushy eyebrows furrowed in contemplation. "That is an interesting question, and one that has been debated by philosophers for centuries. There are a few possible explanations for this. One reason could be that Western philosophy has a longer and more well-documented history, with many influential figures and schools of thought. Another reason could be that the Western world has traditionally held more political and economic power, leading to the spread of Western ideology and the dominance of Western thought. However, it is important to note that this is just one perspective, and it is crucial to consider and study different philosophical traditions in order to have a well-rounded understanding of the world."

The answer to this question is also related to historical and cultural reasons. Western philosophy is a philosophy movement that emerged and developed in Europe. For this reason, Western philosophy is more focused in universities in Europe. However, this does not diminish the importance of Eastern philosophy. Eastern philosophy originated and developed in other regions outside of Europe. For this reason, Eastern philosophy has also gained more importance in non-European universities."

The student nodded, considering the professor's words. "Thank you for your insight, Professor Thomas," she said before sitting back down.

Thomas was a professor who encouraged his students to reflect, to question, and to learn. He would try to open their minds and develop their thoughts. For this reason, he asked each of his students to prepare a question until the end of the semester. This question should have been a deep, meaningful, thought-provoking question that would contribute to philosophy. Waiting for the students to search for answers by questioning these questions, Thomas was curious about their thoughts and discoveries in this process.

"This assignment aims to improve your thinking skills. Your question should be a deep, meaningful, thought-provoking question that will contribute to philosophy. This assignment will also reflect on your grades, because the quality of your question will affect your grades. Remember, questions are the most important tools for us to learn the answers. If you ask the right questions, you can find the right answers. So take this assignment seriously and do it diligently."

Liminality wrote a review...

Hi Jahandar! Lim again with a review.

General Impressions

I thought Thomas reflected concerns that lots of academics/ intellectuals, especially older ones, tend to have about the 21st century. It was interesting to see how concerns about technology and how it affects the mind have been represented through this character. His focus on questions also seems to define him as a character. I kind of sense that hope and the development of knowledge are pretty big themes in this story. For instance, the Thomas of the first part is almost purely optimistic, but he has more mixed feelings here. I interpret him as being uneasy with present-day life and conditions. But the mixed feelings make his continued hope more meaningful, I think.

Glows – What I liked

I liked that you added some conflict and aspects that challenge Thomas as a person here! The thoughts about philosophy as a field in relation to certain developments in the modern world like technological development and AI, as well as growing concerns about what is being taught at universities, help to direct this part of the story and make it feel more focused than the previous part.

This is where the importance of asking the right questions comes into play. By posing thought-provoking, meaningful questions, we can cut through the noise and really get to the heart of the matter.

I thought this was an interesting idea. I like that Thomas seems to have a ‘positive thesis’ or idea of his own that he wants to promote. It could potentially give him more of a goal to the story and increase the interest / tension in this narrative. It makes me wonder what kinds of events would make him consider that “the right questions” have been asked.
For this reason, he asked each of his students to prepare a question until the end of the semester. This question should have been a deep, meaningful, thought-provoking question that would contribute to philosophy.

I also liked this end to the part and also the dialogue that Thomas leaves off with. It leaves me curious about what sorts of questions his students might ask, and is a nice way to get the reader eager to read on!

Grows – Ideas to consider

Something I kind of wished I got to read about here was what personal experiences and involvement make Thomas want to pursue knowledge, discovery, truth, etc. Maybe philosophy helped him out of a difficult time in his life, or he had a ‘eureka’ moment as a young person? Character backstories aren’t always necessary, but in this case, I feel like it would help me relate to Thomas more if I knew what life experiences he’s had that motivate him to do philosophy.
I do like that we’re getting introduced to a few more students in this story, with different personalities. Just like with Thomas, I find myself curious about what motivates them to ask the questions they did:
The student, a young woman with long curly hair and glasses perched on her nose, raised her hand tentatively.

For example, we don’t know the name of this woman, but she seems interesting – perhaps she has an interest in Eastern philosophy? How did that interest develop, if it’s not taught much at the university she attends? I wouldn’t advise squeezing in a whole lot of details and backstory for every character, since after all, Thomas is the main focus, but maybe it might be nice to have one sentence or two in the dialogue/ description, just as you have nicely conveyed in a few lines here that this young woman is shyer / less confident than Arthur.

This is an interesting short story project to follow. I can kind of see how the dialogue-centered format can be interesting to read even without much physical action happening in the background. As mentioned before, my main suggestion is to add some sense of what events or personal experiences motivate what the characters say, if you are planning to revise this.

Hope this helps – let me know if you’d like more feedback on a specific thing!
-Lim

Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:42 am

First Impression: This is a rather interesting continuation of the previous piece here, focusing far more on the Professor and his own thoughts on these matters. Once again we reflect on a few new idea and we also seem to have deepened some others since James in the previous part.

Oooh this is intriguing, it appears on the second chapter we're shifting towards seeing more of the Professor's side of things which I think is going to be a rather interesting change in POV. Let's see where this goes.

This is a rather intriguing direction to take us, diving into the more real world and modern aspects of philosophy and its current place as a discipline. I think its very interesting to see how much it seems to affect Professor Thomas and to see that he takes a moment to discuss it within this lecture too.

OKay this is a good note to conclude that little segment of the lecture there, having guided us more towards the sadder parts of this reality, its nice to have it end for us on a much happier note. Its a good way to inspire these students as well.

Hmm this paragraph feels a little unnecessary here because it seems to simply just tell us everything about Thomas that we can already quite easily infer from all the other interactions that we have managed to have with him.

Hmm it appears we're sort of going along with the same messages that we saw in the earlier paragraph only it seems as a result of that discussion Thomas had earlier, the view he had there has been expanded ever so slightly and he's relating it to everyone else who is studying under him.

Oooh this is interesting. It seems we're branching out from the example of James earlier and looking at other students in the Professor's class and perhaps how exactly they are affected. Given the title of this is the professor it does make sense that we seem to focus more on his story.

Hmm it seems we're really toying a lot with this same idea of the questions. Its fascination quite how much you manage to bring across with just the one idea of how to ask the best question possible and to see this effect multiple students now is quite an interesting process.

Well this is a great little moment for us to end on here. Having the qualities of the Professor be exemplified quite so nicely and powerfully for us to experience. I think its a rather lovely touch on the whole matter.

Overall: Overall once again below all the philosophy that's been conveyed to us and what gives us its own powerful meaning I think you do a rather wonderful job with the character of the Professor and taking about the way that he affects these students of his so powerfully and helps them rise while also worrying in his own way about philosophy and its future an its place in the modern world and what he seems to be doing about said worry.

If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman