z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

No Escape

by IsProcrastinator


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

“I knew I should have cremated her instead.”

Diana muttered under her breath as she peered down at the lawn through the curtains. Beads of sweat dotted her forehead as she watched breathlessly. The monotone ticking of the clock was the only sound in the house, yet it seemed deafening to her ears.

A white dog, wearing a red collar was curiously sniffing around the dirt near the withered chrysanthemum bushes. His furry tail briskly swayed side to side as he nuzzled and clawed at the uneven ground.

“Come on, Fluffy!” said a young boy, probably his owner as he tugged at the leash, “we'll be in big trouble if old Mrs. Morgan were to see us.”

The boy glanced up at the window as he talked. Diana moved away from behind the curtains at once, hoping he hadn't noticed her.

She let out a sigh of relief, wiping her forehead as she saw the boy finally walking away, forcing his pet to move away from the lawn. Diana watched until he was completely out of sight.

That old hag... she'll never leave me in peace, even after she's dead.

. . .

If it weren't for Diana's job, she'd never have to put up with that woman. Who in their right mind would want to stay in a shabby old manor in the middle of nowhere? But Diana couldn't afford to leave her job. She desperately needed the money.

She was assigned to Mrs Morgan as a full time home health nurse, by the agency she worked in. But she never imagined it to be this hard.

Mrs Morgan was the owner of the mansion, nearly as old and battered as the house itself. She had an unusual mark around her neck.

That really made her stand out.

Diana wondered if Mrs Morgan had been one of those patients of the asylum who needed to be chained.

But on top of everything, she was absolutely obnoxious.

The old woman did nothing all day except sitting on a rocking chair, watching television, or maybe get into a nasty brawl with the neighbour living across the street, which seemed to be the only house in sight beyond miles of foggy, barren land.

One day, Diana might have been a bit absent-minded when she was giving her the daily injection. The needle caused a sharp pain in her arm, causing Mrs Morgan to yelp. But before Diana could apologise for her mistake, she violently shoved her away, knocking her against the scalding teapot.

“You! Are you trying to kill me!?” shrieked Mrs Morgan, clutching her arm, her beady eyes wide open.

“I'm really sorry, ma'am, I—”

“You're trying to kill me because of my property, aren't you?” she didn't let her finish. Diana's mouth was agape as she stared at the old woman. She had no idea why she was reacting that way over a small prick in the arm.

Who wants to have your old, run-down shack anyway?

“I'm sorry,” Diana apologised, ignoring the fact that Mrs Morgan had hurt her more, “There seems to be a misunderstanding, ma'am. I didn't mean to hurt you on purpose,.”

“Silence!” she yelled, “if you think your sweet words are gonna fool me, you're wrong. One more mistake and I'll report to your agency — hell, I'll even get the cops if you cross the line.”

After that, Diana thought better of arguing with her anymore. She tried to pass it off, thinking she might just be a typical, bad tempered old lady, but it was more than that.

She was deeply obsessed with the fact that everybody was trying to kill her because of her property. It made sense why she was always getting in ridiculous arguments with her neighbor.

Every time Diana would give her medicine, every time she would prepare her meals prescribed by the doctor, Mrs Morgan would subject it to a thorough examination to make sure it wasn't poisoned. She was convinced that Diana wanted her dead. She'd curse at her for the smallest mistakes, threaten her that she'd contact the agency and get her fired.

Diana asked her agency numerous times, requesting them to assign her a new client. But she was simply told to ‘put up’ with it. It was even worse that she couldn't find another job elsewhere.

She began to hate Mrs Morgan more and more every passing day.

Everything about her was repulsive. Diana hated the way she'd sit in the rocking chair all day. She hated the way the ancient chair would creak.

The sound was enough to drive her mad.

She hated her croaky voice while she'd quarrel with her neighbour.

She despised how the old woman would question her every move, staggering around the creaking floorboards with her walking stick.

But that day, she had enough.

It started like a normal day. Diana had given Mrs Morgan her medicine in the morning and went out to sit on the porch for a break. That was when a man barged in through the front doors, clasping the hand of small girl who Diana assumed was his daughter. The man looked enraged, while his daughter was sobbing uncontrollably.

Diana stopped him halfway through the hallway.

“I demand to see Mrs Morgan!” he said. He looked as if he was about to kill her, and anybody else who might be in his way.

Diana heard Mrs Morgan step into the hallway, in her usual wobbly steps. The man narrowed his eyes at her.

“It was you! You poisoned her pet dog. You killed him, old bitch!” he said, pointing a finger at her which was shaking in anger.

As he said so, Diana remembered Mrs Morgan feeding cookies to a dog that happened to wander around the lawn a couple of days ago.

“Do you have any proof?” 

“My daughter says that our dog had wandered off to your lawn while she took him for a walk. If you need more evidence, you can say that to the cops when I get them.”

“You won't prove nothing.”

Mrs Morgan let out a raspy chuckle. “Here's an advice. Take care of your little girl. If she keeps walking her pet in people's lawns, someone might poison her too. You can never be too careful nowadays.”

The man stormed out, slamming the front door before threatening to call the police. The child's sobs echoed in Diana's head over and over.

She went back into the living room, where Mrs Morgan had settled herself in the rocking chair, as if nothing happened.

Creak... creak...creak...

The annoying sound was getting on her nerves. Diana wanted that sound to stop forever.

She turned to Mrs Morgan with pure hatred in her eyes. She felt sick at the idea of poisoning an innocent animal. She silently reached for the fork from the plate on the coffee table, and hid it behind herself, which Mrs Morgan didn't notice.

“You really did it, didn't you?” Diana breathed out, clenching her teeth.

Mrs Morgan's wizened face twisted into a nasty grin, showing her yellowed, decaying teeth. This drove her over the edge.

Diana grabbed the armrest of the chair in one hand to stop the irritating noise, and raised the fork above her head in the other. Before Mrs Morgan could react, Diana covered her mouth with a firm hand and stabbed her left eye, hard and deep. Thick, crimson blood flowed down her sunken cheek as her screams were muffled by her hand.

She kept Mrs Morgan pinned to the chair and hit her in the ribcage using her knee. Her screams took a higher pitch as Diana twisted the bloody fork into her eye socket and gouged out her eyeball. Diana threw the fork away at the table.

She grabbed her bloodied head and banged it against the wooden armrest, which made the armchair creak again, much to her disturbance.

“STOP THAT SOUND! MAKE IT STOP!”

Diana yelled as she banged her head over and over until she heard a sickly crunch and Mrs Morgan stopped struggling.

She stood up, breathing heavily as she looked at the mess. The air of the room was filled with a sickening, metallic stench of blood. Diana's mind was clear by now. She knew what to do.

“I'm getting a new job and you're getting a nice burial,” she said to the corpse that stared up at her with one eye and an empty socket.

That day in the late afternoon when it was almost dark, Diana dragged the corpse out at the shadowy lawn. She had wrapped it in black plastic sheets from head to toe.

It's a damn good thing that nobody's home.

She glanced at the only house across the deserted street, which was empty.

It took a good two hours to bury the corpse behind the withered chrysanthemum bushes. Diana looked at her ‘creation’ with deep satisfaction in her eyes, holding the shovel over her shoulder.

Two days passed without any disturbance. Diana took the time to get ready to leave the place forever and made sure there was no evidence that she had ever been there.

. . .

As soon as the boy left with the dog, Diana rushed downstairs, while her bags, with which she was about to escape, laid aside.

She grabbed the shovel again as she cursed under her breath. If she didn't bury it deep enough, dogs would pick up the scent and dig it back up.

She decided to burn it down to ashes this time. She would entirely dispose of the body there in the middle of nowhere. No one will ever know.

Then, Diana would have a new, fresh start in life.

It was dark outside, and she glanced at the house across the street again as she struggled to find her way in the darkness. Still empty.

She went up to the chrysanthemum bushes, and started digging right where the dog was clawing before. Sweat trickled down her forehead as she dug the dirt with a new energy.

I won't let you ruin my life anymore.

In her imagination, Diana could almost hear the crackling fire as she would burn the disgusting, old Mrs Morgan.

Diana cursed and ducked behind the bushes as she heard a car coming up the road. She felt her heart thumping against her ribcage, almost hurting her as she stayed still, trying not to breath.

Her heart nearly stopped as the car seemed to slow down in front of the house. She feared if the child's father had really brought the police. She let out a sight of relief as the car didn't stop, and went past the house.

She resumed digging again. She kept digging for what seemed like hours. With each passing moment, she anticipated to feel the surface of the plastic bag against the shovel.

Nothing but dirt.

It felt like she was digging forever. Her hands were aching and she felt dizzy. She sat down on the pile of earth, throwing the shovel at one side in frustration.

Then it hit her.

She must have been digging at the wrong place.

She remembered burying her by the chrysanthemum bushes, but she couldn't remember which side it was, as she was a bit carried away at that moment.

The road was empty, and nobody was home at the neighbour's. She seriously considered bringing the flashlight with her to find the right spot. She was sure she would be able to identify it then.

Not wasting another moment, Diana dashed back into the old manor. The flashlight was in the living room, by the television.

Locking the front door behind her, Diana quietly stepped in the creaking hallway. The living room door was ajar, just as she had left it. She went in. Her back faced the room as she was closing the door.

Creak...creak... creak...

Diana froze in her spot as she heard the rocking chair creak behind her.

She screamed as the TV was turned on, the blaring sound echoing throughout the empty house.

The rocking chair creaked in front of the TV, while the bluish light of the screen filled the empty room. Diana slowly turned her head.

A human form, shrouded in black plastic sheets from head to toe was rocking back and forth in the chair. Numerous maggots came wriggling out of the gaps in the plastic sheets.

That was the last thing Diana saw.

. . .

If it weren't for Emily's job, she'd never have to put up with that woman. Who in their right mind would want to stay in a shabby old manor in the middle of nowhere? But Emily couldn't afford to leave her job. She desperately needed the money.

She was assigned to Mrs Morgan as a full time home health nurse, by the agency she worked in. But she never imagined it to be this hard.

Mrs Morgan was the owner of the mansion, nearly as old and battered as the house itself.

She had an unusual mark around her neck, and always wore an eyepatch covering her left eye.

That really made her stand out.

. . .

[This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 109

Donate
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:06 pm
View Likes
silvermoon17 wrote a review...



Ooh finally some good suspense.
That ending is twisted
(SPOILERS)
but I still genuinely found it interesting that that woman made people go insane, so that they killed her and she could kill them afterwards. In an endless loop.
Now let me talk a bit of twists.
A predictable twist is, of course; bad. But a twist shouldn’t be impossible to figure either. A twist only comes out as satisfying if we have been giving elements pointing to it all throughout the story. That’s why the twist like in “Now you see me,” is bad, because it was logically impossible for us to guess. While a twist like (again spoilers for early GOT watchers/readers) in GOT, when it’s known that the bride of the murdered one is actually the killer- is relevant. Because there’s like tons of clues pointing to that.
Now. Was your twist good.
My first idea of your story was that it’d be like in the Shining, with the main character going insane. But that was predictable. Her killing the lady was predictable was well. I mean, at the same time she says she wants the lady cremated in first place. (Again, odd choice. Why ruin to us that she killed the lady. Maybe so we don’t know who was killed.) now I’ll just spoil it right now, your twist was fine. But it does not come out that satisfying. I mean, sure; there were little elements showing an idea of maybe a loop. But.. maybe you could’ve done something more present like pictures of all her caretakers in her room or something. Or that she has huge wounds everywhere. That would’ve made it more satisfying.
Ooh also, nice catch line.
“What could POSSIBLY go wrong?”




User avatar


Points: 58
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:43 pm
View Likes
Sunrise05 wrote a review...



I am a big fan of horror things so reading this made me happy. The story was well written and had a good pace especially for a horror story. It has been a while that a story has kept my attention, but your story was able to. I like that your ending was the same as your opening. The plot twist was something I like since I didn't expect it that to happen. I like your story and can't wait to see future work from you.






I'm really happy that you liked it! Thank you for reading :)



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 3377
Reviews: 67

Donate
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:47 am
View Likes
Awru wrote a review...



OMG!!You weren't kidding when you said horror.I literally had chills down my back the whole time i was reading this and the fact that it is nightime here and i am all alone in my room seriously isn't helping.Like it had all the essence of a truly horrofying tale.Especially the end gawd it pushed me over the edge.The way you drscribed the whole killing process was seriously amazing in a horrifying way.Honestly speaking you got what you were aiming i am terrified,i feel like someone is behind me.As sooon as i write this review i am going to my parents room.This the whole reason i mostly don't read horror stories or watch them movies.The fact that Diana was titally calm after killing her as if she was a professional(although it was the other way around)unsettled me.I think she should been terrified by the fact that she killed someone not just killed goughed out the eyeball as you it(Eww i am gonna puke)I mean her hands should have shivered on what she did she is human afterall.Overall i loved this horrifying piece.It is i guess a treat for horror lovers

Keep Up The Excellent Work :smt023

Peace Out






It's daytime here and honestly your review gave me a huge confidence boost in the start of the day! I'm really glad that you liked it (terrified by it, actually XD)
Thank again for reading! :)



Awru says...


Technically its daytime here too but lie i told you i wrote it at night andvposted in the morning :D
I am glad



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:35 am
View Likes
Lib wrote a review...



Oh man. This is one hell of a story. Anyhoo, I'm here to give you a review! *rubs hands* Let's start now, shall we? Before that, I hope you're doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on. :)

Alright, so. Description was great here specially since this is horror. And what makes a horror a good horror? Description. I'd say you get a 99.99%. Just kidding. It's 100%. But keep in mind, that there is always room to improve. :smt023

Grammar was spot on over here! I repeat, spot on. Also, just saying, in a couple of places like the first sentence, you tell everyone that Diana spoke in the next paragraph when it's actually supposed to be in the same paragraph.

“There seems to be a misunderstanding, ma'am. I didn't mean to hurt you in purpose,” Diana apologised, ignoring the fact that Mrs Morgan had hurt her more, “I'm sorry.”


In purpose or on purpose? I'm pretty sure you meant "on".

Mrs Morgan let out a raspy chuckle, “here's an advice. Take care of your little girl. If she keeps walking her pet in people's lawns, someone might poison her too. You can never be too careful nowadays.”


Capitalize the first letter of the bold word so that it looks more like this: Here's. (:

She sliently reached for the fork from the plate on the coffee table, and hid it behind herself, which Mrs Morgan didn't notice.


Spelling is incorrect for the bold word. It's actually supposed to be "silently".

Diana grabbed the armrest of the chair in one hand to stop the irritating noise, and raised the fork above her head in the other. Before Mrs Morgan could react, Diana covered her mouth with a firm hand and stabbed her left eye, hard and deep. Thick, crimson blood flowed down her sunken cheek as her screams were muffled by her hand.


Okay, you practically made me puke here. PS: This is an example of who fantastic your descriptions were. Pretty gross, but you get it. It's quite... Revolting, if I must say.

“I'm getting a new job and you're getting a nice burial,” she said to the corpse that stared up at her with one eye and an empty socket.


*pukes*

---

Alright, done with my review! Hope this helped in one way or the other. I really look forward to seeing more of your works around. This is a master piece. <3 And... Of course, if you've go any questions, feel free to ask me anytime!

And as always...

Keep on writing!

~Liberty






Thank you veryyy much for the awesome review! It's funny how I always fail to notice the ridiculous typos in my writing XD
Thanks a lot for pointing them out for me. Your review was extremely motivating, and it'll definitely keep my procrastination at bay! :)
Thank you for reading, and have a good day! (Whoa, that rhymes)



Lib says...


Lol, not a problem. ^-^



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 518
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:21 pm
View Likes
mthanmark263 says...



It is an enjoyable story it got anxious to know how it would end . This was my first story reading and it was exciting . You are really talented






Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear that you liked it.




I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
— Solomon Short