Ms. Mirror

by Ilium417

I'm looking in your eyes

and I'm afraid of what I see. 

Because your eyes are mirrors 

And show the demons I've hidden deep within me. 

Whenever I'm with you, I love it

But I hate it too. Because you're a mirror.

I've broken all the mirrors in my house

Afraid to see myself any clearer. 

I can't avoid you though. 

I've tried but I always come back. 

You're so good, some call you perfect, 

But each look in your eyes is an attack. 

It's nothing that you do. 

You would never intentionally hurt me. 

But the mirrors of your eyes, of you, 

Makes me find what I don't want to see. 

In the end, I can't step away from this mirror. 

You're a better mirror than the others I have. 

The others are lifeless, giving my demons back to me

You show me how to beat them, an example of friendly love. 

It's not that I can't, I won't look away. 

This mirror is showing my demons' weaknesses for me

Thank you, Ms. Mirror, for being a kinder reflection

The version of me I want to be. 

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:37 am
KassandraRose says...

This is a crazy good poem! Great job! I was instantly intrigued from the first line. I love the lines: “In the end, I can’t step away from this mirror./ You’re a better mirror than the others I have./ The others are lifeless, giving my demons back to me”. I love the emotion and rhythm of the whole work. Excellent job!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:37 am
KassandraRose says...

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:37 am
KassandraRose says...

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:37 am
KassandraRose says...

Ilium417 says...

Thanks for the review! :D

NivedaJames22 wrote a review...

Hey Ilium!

First of all, great job with the concept. You opened the poem really well, and I was totally hooked by the first line.

I really like this part:

Because your eyes are mirrors

Also this part:

It's really raw and honest, and beautifully expressed. Initially, you express a sort of fear of looking into this person's eyes, but later you say how the person also helps you fight your fears. It's a beautiful contrast.

On the whole it's a wonderful poem. Keep writing. <3

Ilium417 says...

Thanks so much for the review! I actually was thinking about someone in particular when I was writing it xD

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:49 am
ForeverYoung299 says...

It's great!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:05 am
NateAtNight wrote a review...

Whoahhhhhh. *mind explodes* This is a really great poem. I think you definitely did a good job with the whole poetic part. I typically don't like poems, but I really likes this one and the whole premise of it. I thought the line about every look into this "Ms. Mirror" person's eyes was an attack was very interesting. But I did find the ending part, starting when you say "You're a better mirror than others I have." is a bit puzzling, and I had to analyze it like a deep song to kind of get it. So I think you could make that clearer. Unless you mean for it to be puzzling, and deep (puzzling and deep probably aren't the right words, but I hope you understand what I mean), and if that's so, the poem's perfect!

Ilium417 says...

Bro, thank's so much for the review, it helps a lot!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 am
nightshadows wrote a review...

wow..dude! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!! Awesome job on your creativity! I think most of us agree that when we look in mirrors that sometimes we don't see what we expect or want. And all people struggle. And you depict this beautifully. I am leaning toward the mindset that you wrote this deep from the heart because the emotion flows like a river. But one thing is, since your poem is named Ms. Mirror it would be nice to see the name mentioned a few more times but other than that it was absolutely touching. Great job!

Ilium417 says...

Thanks so much for the review! :D

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat