12+

Outsiders-Othero

by HollyM64

Othero

Othero shivered and pulled his cloak tighter around him as he hiked forward. It was cold. It was always cold. The dark expanse of the forest surrounded him; black trees wrapped in fog. His feet sank with every step, mud swallowing them with every step. “Keep going.” He muttered through clenched teeth. “Just. Keep. Going.”

He supposed it was possible that the Forest had been beautiful once, but as the wind whipped around him and his eyes strained to make out midnight blue sky, he couldn’t picture it. Everything was wasteland now. Only the desperate entered the Forest anymore. The desperate and those who hunted them.

Gritting his teeth against the chill, Othero flexed his fingers for a moment before gripping the hood of his cloak. His hands and wrists felt heavy and the markings by his eyes were burning him. He couldn’t stay in this Realm. This Realm brought nothing but death and pain. It wasn’t pleasant. It wasn’t happy, or safe, or…

He froze.

Maybe it was his desperation and fear playing tricks on him.

Please have been the wind…

His blood became ice as he stood, motionless. He didn’t dare move. He barely dared to breathe.

Please...don’t let it have been real.

The howl came again, clearer this time. Still a distance away, but far too close. His hands began to burn and he bit the inside of his cheek to keep from crying out. At the third howl, Othero began to run. The tar-like mud dragged him down, slowing his progress and the howls turned to barks and drew closer. Even nature seemed to be working against him. Still, he kept running. Stopping now would mean death and so much worse.

A faded blue light appeared in the distance. He watched as it expanded, growing brighter until it exploded outward. It shimmered and Othero drove himself forward. A sudden force slammed into his back, sending him sprawling across the ground. He scrambled onto his back as a growl reached his ears.

The creature was a black mass; all teeth and heckles and blood-red eyes. Its teeth were bared in a hunter’s snarl and the thing was crouched in the pounce position. It leapt forward with a bark, causing Othero to dart sideways. His eyes glowed as he focused his attention on it; a swirling mixture of grey, blue, violet and orange. The thing flew backwards, slamming into a nearby tree with a pathetic yelp and Othero quickly pulled himself up and sprinted toward the light. His legs screamed at him to slow down, but the burning in his hands was worsening and the barks and howls were closing in.

The light came into focus, a jagged tear in the space around it. Othero gave one final push, forcing himself to go faster. It was so close. One, well-timed jump and he’d be free.

A dark figure materialized in front of the tear. A tall, imposing figure, draped in a long cloak that hid its whole body. It smiled; a yellow-tinged grin between chapped red lips, all contrasted by too-pale skin and engulfed inside of a dark, black hood. Panic rose in Othero’s chest as he attempted to stop. He skidded, his heels digging into the thick mud in a desperate attempt at a sudden stop. The figure raised its hand, a thin claw of a limb that only just resembled something humanoid.

“Nice try.”

A wholly different darkness filled his vision before Othero had time to scream...

I hope you enjoyed this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: So this work has undergone A LOT of changes in the last year so I'm going to be updating all of the existing chapters and hopefully posting a new one in the very near future. :)

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Holly!

I know this is a rather old chapter but I was starting to review your most recent chapter, and decided to just jump back to the beginning. The title of "Outsiders" makes me think of a lot of things from pop culture, mainly because it's circled around a lot of different plots. People like to use it.
So mainly I think of aliens, judging from the character descriptions that are right above me.

I always like to start by talking about the title, the first sentence and the first paragraph. That's just my method, so my first thought about this first paragraph, is that you need to split it up into several parts. Here's just one possible thing.
Othero shivered and pulled his cloak tighter around him as he hiked forward.
It was cold. It was always cold.
The dark expanse of the forest surrounded him; black trees wrapped in fog. His feet sank with every step, mud swallowing them with every step.
“Keep going.” He muttered it through clenched teeth.
“Just. Keep. Going.”

Okay so maybe you don't need to split it up that much but the general message here is that you've got so many of these ideas, all happening at the same time, and they just need more distance.

And besides the more technical things that I've spent a lot of time on, this first paragraph is not telling the reader too much. But the critical thing here is that the main character is identified and a small hint is given to the setting. The opening line isn't bold or flashy, but compared to the other things that I see going on, it's probably best to stick with that current way.

A thing that I saw the other reviewers commenting on is the fact that this is labeled as a prologue. And while there's a couple of ways of looking at this, I'm going to recommend that you label it otherwise. Because something that happens in the real world and on yws, is that a reader has the possibility of just skipping right over the prologue.
So if you want it to matter and make sure its read, think about reclassifying it.

Now I guess that I should probably move on.

The descriptions in the middle weren't really doing that much, they were certainly eery and creepy and somewhat grabbing for the audience, but still for me they don't do much. They have the same recurring things, mainly just being dark and gloomy. So I'm not going to comment much on that, as it's not the main points of focus for a reader.

The secondary thing that they'll be focusing on, is the end.
Then the world went black...

You end a scene and you have the character passing out, in one way or another, the world going black means some sort of passing out. And while this is kinda okay to be happening, it's also regarded as being kinda cheap and cliche. So maybe it'll work for you but as an ending to a story, it just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

That's all for now.
- lizz

HollyM64 says...

Thanks for the feedback! Outsiders was supposed to be a stand-in title until I could think of something more appropriate, so it will most likely change at some point and I was thinking of changing the chapter title from "Prologue" anyway. Again, thank you so much for the feed back!

Nobunaga wrote a review...

Personally, I don't really like prologues in books. I'd rather just start at the beginning, if that makes any sense. I feel like they raise an unnecessary air of confusion and the mysteries of the novel are usually brought up within the novel anyway, but I understand the appeal of writing them.

With your prologue I'm feeling a lot of the same things. But, as far as prologues go, this one wasn't horrible. I'm thinking that Othero is probably not of this world and trying to get back to his own while daunted by some mysterious antagonist.

I don't have much to say here. The writing was very straightforward and I would have liked to see more description here, something to really immerse me in your world or in the mind of Othero. I know you said things like "Panic rose in Othero's chest", but that's like telling us that he was panicked instead of describing how he behaved that indicated he was panicked. I don't know. I hope I'm making sense here.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but I did enjoy this. I'm going to move on to your first chapter now :)

HollyM64 says...

No no, I appreciate the feedback! Prologues aren't for everyone, I get that, I just love writing them. Any feedback on my first chapter is welcome too :)

Kanome wrote a review...

Hello. I am here to provide you a review. Let's get started, shall we?

Nitpicks:

Everything was wasteland now.

This is only the nitpick I have, figured I point it out to you. Simple mistake.
Everything was a wasteland now.

Prologue Overall...
This was a great prologue. It shows the readers of what might go down in future chapters. It makes your readers curious about the mysterious figure at the end.
The ending was perfect, a great start to the first chapter, or I guess the "beginning" of the novel.
I don't really have much to say about this since this is just the prologue. This does look interesting, and I would love to see what happens throughout the whole novel.

You provided well-detailed information on the setting. It's like I was there seeing the scene myself.
I hope we get to learn more about this Othero character because it seems like this won't be the last we hear of him.
Keep up the great work! I can't wait to read the future chapters. Keep writing and have a wonderful day!

- Kanome.

HollyM64 says...

Thank you, this was really good feedback! And don't worry, you will see Othero again, but not for a little while :)

Mea wrote a review...

Hey there Holly! Glad to see you're making a comeback to the site. :) I thought this looked interesting, so I figured I'd go ahead and review it.

I really liked this. The atmosphere was great and it was one of the main things that drew me into the story. I don't know much about Othero or this Realm he's in, but his immediate and unusual danger and the way you used words to paint a tense picture of this world and the forces he's up against - that was what drew me in.

He supposed it was possible that the Forest had been beautiful once, but as wind whipped around him and his eyes strained to make out midnight blue sky, he couldn’t picture it. Everything was wasteland now. Only the desperate entered the Forest anymore. The desperate and those who hunted them.

Okay, we're right off the bat and this line was excellent. Seriously, it gave me chills and drew me right into the story.

He couldn’t stay in this Realm. This Realm brought nothing but death and pain. It wasn’t pleasant. It wasn’t happy, or safe, or…

He froze.

The wind had carried a sound with it. His blood became ice as he stood, motionless. He didn’t dare move. He barely dared to breathe.

This was also a great use of syntax and a paragraph break. It clearly shows us his mental state and also catches our attention as we wonder what that sound means. However, "The wind had carried a sound with it" is much weaker compared to the other sentences - it just doesn't flow right, and both "carried" and "sound" are nonspecific and boring. Honestly, I would tell the readers that sound was a howl right here, rather than waiting until the next paragraph. Something like "A distant howl pierced the wind."

And that lead me into my overall critique: at times, you almost lose all the lovely tension you've built because of awkward sentences or too much repetition or verbs and adjectives that aren't particularly vivid. Go through and read this aloud, watching for places where it doesn't quite flow right or where you can change a verb/adjective to be stronger.

Also, split the "fight" part of it up more - don't bunch it into one paragraph, as the reader will be reading quickly because of the tension and skim right over it, ruining the pacing. Honestly, I almost missed that Othero has some sort of magic the first time I read it because it wasn't explicit and it happened in the middle of a paragraph. You don't want that to happen; you want to draw attention to the magic because it's another interesting thing about your world.

Then the world went black...

This may be more of a personal preference, but I think it would be a stronger ending if it didn't trail off like that and instead was just "The world went black." It fits the style of the rest of the scene better, and for some reason the trailing off draws attention to this being a story.

And that's all I've got! I really, really enjoyed this - definitely let me know when you post the next part so I can review it! Your story was gripping from the very beginning and your prose is really quite good - the main thing left to do is make it even better.

HollyM64 says...

Hey! It's good to be back lol. I really appreciate the feedback, and thank you for the structure point on Othero's magic, I hadn't even thought of that! Next chapter is up, any kind of feedback is welcome!

Mea says...

No problem! I'll definitely try to get to it today or tomorrow. :D

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda