z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Earth's Child- Chapter 2

by GreenTulip


“Wake up,” a voice whispered into my ear.

“Five more minutes,” I groaned, pushing my face further into my pillow, blocking out the obnoxious sunlight.

“You told me that five minutes ago, lovebug.”

Groaning, I opened my eyes just to be looking into the brown ones that belonged to my fiance. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get the heavy feeling out of my eyelids.

“Well sorry, I’m tired,” I snapped. “You aren’t the one who’s pregnant you know?”

“I’m sorry, love,” he apologized. “I did come up here to wake you up, only because you have a visitor.”

“Who is it?”

“She said she was your mother.”

“Well, I don’t want to see here. And besides, when I first started dating you after that incident with the cops, she made it perfectly clear she didn’t want to see me nor have anything else to do with me,” I tried to explain.

“I don’t care, Kili!” he snapped, his gaze dropping from mine. “Talk to her before she decided to barge into our home anyways.”

“She’d do it anyway. I wouldn’t have to tell her no, Brandon,” I sighed. “You know that.”

Shaking his head, he held out a hand to help me out of bed. I was so close to my due date that it was hard to get out of bed. Then just feeling like I was losing the ability to maintain my control over the stupid powers didn’t help any. I was terrified of what would happen- would this child end up being the death of me, one way or another? If I were to lose my control long enough, the whiplash of the powers leaving me would kill me not counting anyone with a few miles radius.

“Go invite her in then,” I growled. “Do realize this though, I am only doing this for you. Not for myself and especially not for myself.”

He just nodded and asked, “Do you want help getting dressed?”

“I’ll be fine. You already laid out my clothes for me,” I replied.

“Okay sweetheart,” he smiled. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

He left our room to let me get dressed and to go downstairs to let the monster, who is called my mother, into our home. I shook my head unwilling to deal with her as the last time I dealt with her was not good. That was four years ago, she had never made a move to come and attempt to make things better with Brandon or I. I wished I could just hide out in my room like I used to as a kid.

After taking as long as I could to get dressed, I slowly went downstairs. Seeing Brandon there made me smile, but then I lost it when I saw her.

“Mother.”

“Kili Amelia Lillian Johnstone,” she said, anger in her voice.

“Oh, what did I do too you now?” I asked.

“You went four years without talking to me,” she stated. “You are going and marrying him. You end up pregnant and did you go and tell anyone, no. You are nothing but a stubborn little bi-”

“You will not talk to my wife like that!” Brandon exclaimed.

“And who are you to tell me what to do?” she spat back at him.

“This is my house,” he responded. “Get out and don’t come back if you can’t be civil. You won’t be part of our child’s life as you’d try to poison them with your ideas.”

“But. But.” she sputtered, clearly thrown off.

“Leave, Mommy dearest,” I sweetly said. “Shouldn’t work yourself up.”

Clearly angered, she turned and stomped away. Yelling as she went, “You can die for all I care. You are freakin’ disowned now!”

Tears welling up in my eyes, I looked at Brandon for support. He came and lead me into the living room and set me down on the couch.

“I’ll be right back baby,” he said. “I’m going to make sure she actually left.”

Nodding, I closed my eyes as I set my head against the back of the couch. A wave of pain go through me. My eyes shut open; the doctors had warned this would happen soon.

“Brandon!” I shouted.

“Baby?” he said, running into the room.

“I think that I’m going into labor.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 606
Reviews: 69

Donate
Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:46 pm
NympheaLily wrote a review...



Top of the morning to you, NympheaLily here!

Ah, yes, back to the present! I had just finished reading your first chapter and now I'm super excited for what comes next. I can see the bit of family disagreement throughout the story with her mom and all. The time period in which this seems to have been set gives off the vibe that she is a young mother, maybe still in her teens or twenties and the fact that your protagonist is pregnant adds to the growing plot. Now, on to critique!

"“Oh, what did I do too you now?” I asked."

'Too' should be 'to'.

"“You will not talk to my wife like that!” Brandon exclaimed."

I feel like this scene went a tad too fast. Let the tension build up and try and include some forced pleasantries. It adds for a more dynamic story.

"“Go invite her in then,” I growled. “Do realize this though, I am only doing this for you. Not for myself and especially not for myself.”"

You said 'myself' twice here so I would add in some different word choice here.

Phew! That was a tough grind, but anyway, on to the good stuff!

I thought that this period in the story was very short lived but dynamic. At the beginning when you open with a simple "Wake up" was very nice. It wasn't too complicated nor very confusing. It gave you the impression of a sleepy morning on a weekend possibly with sunspots all over the room. Oh, now doesn't that sound nice!

When you get into the middle of the story, things start to get a little more serious. With her mother, it's obvious the two don't like each other as much anymore. Tragically, these types of things happen all the time in the real world and so it gives the sense that instead of viewing this protagonist as a type of mythical being, that she is a human and hurt by words.

At the end, a huge cliffhanger was present. GAH! I love using them in my writing but I HATE reading them! It gives a feeling the suspense and makes the reader want to keep reading. I really want to read this next part, so please if it isn't a burden, please tell me when the next chapter comes out! Keep up the hard work and as always, KEEP THOSE FINGERS TYPING!
Ciao!
~NympheaLily




GreenTulip says...


HI! And thank you for the reviews on both of these chapters!It means a lot to me. And I am currently revising this a little bit to post as an edited chapter, and I can tell you when it's posted if you like. I am just making it to where the pacing is a bit better and attitudes are more justified.



NympheaLily says...


Awesome!



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 pm
Omni wrote a review...



Hey there Tulip! Let's dive right in.

I haven't read Chapter 1 yet, so apologies if anything I say is explained through reading it.

“Wake up,” a voice whispered into my ear.


As far as introductions go, this is bland. There's nothing much going on her besides some dialogue. The mystery here isn't needed nor does matters as it gets explained not even three paragraphs down, so I don't think it's needed here. There's no vivid imagery happening here, and nothing to entrance the reader to keep reading. I know this isn't the first chapter, but I think this still applies, especially to people reading as in parts.

“I’m sorry, love,” he apologized. “I did come up here to wake you up, only because you have a visitor.”


I know she's pregnant, and grumpy, and he's trying to be comforting to her, but he has said two versions of "love" here and she's said none. In all of my relationships, I rarely said that stuff that much.

I tried to explain.


I think she explained it quite well! See, "tried to" here just drags explain down. She did explain it to him, and since we don't know his thoughts at this moment, it wasn't trying at all. She did it just fine.

“I don’t care, Kili!” he snapped, his gaze dropping from mine. “Talk to her before she decided to barge into our home anyways.”


Two things: This seems incredibly out of character for him to snap at her like that after basically being so polite and loving right before. And, also, "Talk to her before she decides..."?

Then just feeling like I was losing the ability to maintain my control over the stupid powers didn’t help any.


Ooh powers. That kinda jumped out at me, but I'm sure that's because I haven't read the first chapter yet.

Not for myself and especially not for myself.”


Did you mean for this to happen?

General Thoughts

Okay so the biggest things I've noticed through this chapter is the lack of consistency these characters hold. It's like all of their attitudes are on roller coasters, not keeping a stance on any one things.

This also didn't feel too much like an actual chapter. It was short, and everything happened so fast. I highly suggest just slowing down. Focus more on the characters and their thoughts. Usually chapters are more than just one scene, and this one wasn't. Add more to this, both in content and descriptions. This chapter was mostly dialogue, and thus just felt... bare.

Anyway, I apologize for the short review, but I hope this helped. Keep writing! <3




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:51 pm
Hikarufire64 wrote a review...



Hi Hikaru here with a review for you!

First off id like to say that even though i havent read the first few chapters of this wonderful story, it seems like an interesting read from what i read here.

Character wise your main character seems pretty alright, you showed her dislike for her mother and love for her fiance (almost) and you showed a bit of her struggle with being pregnant by describing her trying to get up, trying to sit down and even describing to us about the sudden wave of pain before going in labor though i dont people get a sudden wave of pain im pretty sure they pee out a wave of water on someone's new couch though.

The fiance was alright but we just saw the morning side and get the hell out of my house side of him which isnt as good as actually showing us how he really is and with that he just kinda seems like a basic husband. But with this you could go two ways the one way is that you can make him seem like the nervous sorta clumsy and worrisome fiance or you could go with the overprotective aggressive kind of fiance that is only aggressive to other people. Or you could have the fiance who always chill about everything. If you dont already have a personality for him.

Now the Mother, if you feel like you were trying to make her a total bitch then CONGRATULATIONS you have succeeded in taking your first step into writing a bitch like character that no one will ever love, unless you wanna be like Rebecca sugar and give them feeling then thats alright too. But to really get under the reader's skin write her as one of those incredibly snobby mothers who thinks she can do everyone's job better than they can.

Also i noficed a few grammer errors so ill just put them out there.

“Well, I don’t want to see here."
“Well, I don’t want to see her."

“Talk to her before she decided to barge into our home anyways.”
“Talk to her before she decides to barge into our home anyways.”





He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how.
— Friedrich Nietzsche