12+

The Black Cloud

by GrayButterfly

Junie enjoyed singing to the trees. The rough concrete scratching beneath her thighs didn’t matter much to her when she had her guitar. Naturally, her fingers plucked the cordial strings. Song left her lips and the trees danced. She closed her eyes and breathed.

“Junie Lynn Evans!”

Her heart froze.

“Yes, mother?”

“Don’t be smart with me!”

Junie shifted her torso to face the mad-woman. She swallowed.

“Dinner is ready. Put that guitar away.”

Junie nodded. She stood and brushed off the tiny rocks. Suddenly, the concrete hurt. Her eyes fell lower as she walked in the house.

“Why do you always look so depressed all the time?”

Junie rolled her eyes and gently laid the guitar down on her twin-sized bed. With disdain trickling through her veins, she sat down at the dinner table. Her father, graying hair and deep wrinkles sat across from her. Her mother, dry ash blonde hair and defeated brown eyes to her left. Weird, they were all sitting together for dinner. It made Junie uncomfortable, sitting here with them like a normal family.

“Your grades are dropping again,” her mother stabbed a piece of lettuce and crammed it in her mouth. Her dusty rose colored lips smashed together like a cow when it eats.

“Yeah,” Junie said. What else was there to say? I’m sorry I haven’t met your expectations. Math is hard. You are even harder to deal with, but I can’t say anything or you’ll punish me.

“You need good grades for college,” her mom wiped the small dollop of dressing off the corner of her mouth.

“I know.”

“You are going to college,” her mother commanded.

“Not everyone wants to go to college,” her father joined.

“But Junie is.”

“Stop trying to control her, she can do what she wants!”

“It’s best for her!”

“How do you know what’s best for her?”

“Can you please just, stop,” Junie interrupted.

“This is not your conversation,” her mother snapped.

“Do you find satisfaction in controlling your daughter? Just like your mother,” her father accused.

“I am not controlling her, she is making her own decisions!” Mother said.

“Oh really? That’s what you call that?” Father retorted.

Junie half-finished her plate and sat it in the sink. She went to her room without the need of her mother’s reprimands. She sank into the bed, faced the window, and held the guitar in her lap. Her fingers pressed against the strings and she couldn’t bring herself to sing for a while.

When she worked up the courage, she began “Oh, somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly.”

A pair of wings eased out from beneath her shoulder blades. Junie fluttered her wings, getting used to the new feeling.

“And the dreams that you dream of, dreams really do come true.”

She stood from her bed and looked out the window. The blinding orange sun casted a glow on the pink lemonade clouds. She strummed the guitar.

“Where troubles melt like lemon drops, way up there, the chimney tops, that’s where you’ll find me.”

The trees did not sway. She sank to the floor and tuned into the melodies her fingers chose. She breathed and closed her eyes. Maybe if she wished herself away from this place, she would disappear and materialize in her auntie’s arms. She was afraid she would get those stress-lines in her face like her parents. She didn’t want to grow up to be them.

Neither of her parents enjoyed their jobs. Her father worked in a bank counting money and wearing old ties. His tired eyes hid behind the thin frames of his glasses. Adventure called to him when he was young, but he never ordered that plane ticket. A few years later he was completely discouraged. He stepped into his father’s shoes and joined the bank to experience the same monotony everyday. No one knew why he didn’t travel now; maybe it was the birth of Junie or maybe he thought he was too old. Her mother found work as a nurse. She’d been at it since she left college. When asked, the mother hardly revealed her failed passion. In a deep dark corner of her heart was the desire to direct a fashion business. But it was hard, and she didn't have the time. At least, that’s her excuse.

Junie decided she would be a musician. She couldn’t deny, it wasn’t the most reliable of jobs, but she couldn’t think of anything else that would make her happier. She remembered her little cousin, Trenton, and his shadowed face in the dim hallway. His thin lips curved into a half-smile as he listened to her soft melodies. They distracted themselves from the monsters voices who echoed down the stairs. Wine. Politics. Snotty strangers. Who cares.

Hot tears pulled Junie back to the present. She heard yelling from the kitchen. Anger crashed against her rocky shores, but she kept sailing, trying to keep her distance from the jagged edges. Why couldn’t she have a normal family? The cliffs destroyed her fragile boat plank by plank, string by string, and the water crashed over her. The waves tugged her deeper and deeper down. The moon was a blurry facade and the stars rippled as she sank. She didn’t need air. The navy-purple sky could entertain her for decades. But water filled her lungs, and consciousness slipped away into the night.

When she woke, her lips faced the warm sun. She squinted and took in her bright surroundings. Damp white fluff appeared everywhere before her. She spread her dry ocean blue wings and sat there pondering. She wished she didn’t have to return to the monsters that lived down the hall from her room.

Her guitar lied in the fluff elsewhere. Chipped wood and broken strings rested in peace like the rubble of a great city. She pushed herself up on her hands and knees and unsteadily crawled over to it. Her fingers grazed over the cold metal strings. An idea popped into her head, and she picked up the guitar and flipped it over so the salty water could spill out of the sound box. She brushed her fingers roughly over the six pitches. Junie played them all together to produce a song. Her left hand began to compliment the right, and she stood with a new spirit reigning over her body. Her bones shook as she tried to decipher this new emotion. It was exhilarating and she found herself leaping through the clouds. Her wings flittered, but she couldn’t quite figure out how to fly. The strumming grew more intense, and her fingers bled.

“Junie!” a voice called from far below, but she couldn’t care less.

“Junie!” It called again.

Specks of blood freckled the tawny guitar and her teeth revealed a wild smile. She began to laugh while she leaped.

“Junie Lynn Evans!” A strange thunder roared beneath her feet. She paused for a moment to understand the shaking tremors erupting from the soft ground.

A crack of lightning sounded in the distance. A threatening black cloud approached above the white. Her stomach dropped. As lightning flared, the inside of the cloud lightened like a flame in a mad clown house. She turned to run, but ripping winds pushed her back. She pulled at the fluff, but it disappeared in her hands. Her knees buckled and the guitar flew away from her hands. A flash of light and she couldn’t move. The black cloud swallowed her.

From the depths of the darkness, she heard a faint whisper, “You’re crazy. Why would you ever think you could be a musician? You’re not good enough for that. You will never make it. And what’s the point anyways? Money, fame, popularity? That’s pathetic.”

It imprisoned her soul and taunted it. When she awoke the next morning, the alarm next to her bed rang out. She grudgingly prepared for the school day. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t focus on the teachers or the schoolwork. All she wanted was to play the guitar, but she wasn’t even good at that.

“No one will listen to you. No one will care,” the whisper tickled her ear.

When she got home, she dropped her bag in her room and stared at the guitar leaning against the dark wall. Her eyes grazed over the strings and imagined the pitch of each one as she sat on her bed. Her mother’s voice replayed in her mind.

“I should focus on college,” she said.

She decided to set the music stuff behind her and pulled out a textbook from her backpack. But, still, there was that pesky desire that told her she could be somebody. Somebody with a guitar and a voice to sing. Junie pushed it away and tuned into the book. The black ink of the Times New Roman letters became too heavy for her eyes to carry. Her mind drifted off with closed eyes. When she woke, night had fallen, and she realized her mother hadn’t called her to dinner. She tiptoed out of her room and found her father laying on the couch watching the television. The enthusiastic voices of Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz travelled from it, and she realized her father had probably fallen asleep while watching American Pickers.

She crept to the kitchen and grabbed a cup from the cup drawer. It was pink and Barbie was posed fashionably on the front with a scratched out face. On her ninth birthday, Junie wanted Barbie everything. Her older sister, Vanessa, even came down to visit, and they celebrated with plastic Barbie cups and paper plates. She’s hardly talked to Vanessa since then, but it never bothered either of them all that much. Whenever Vanessa was around, their mother’s stress levels heightened horrifically.

Junie poured water into her cup from the sink. She gulped it down and made her way back to bed. As she slept, she saw herself playing outside in front of a huge audience with her guitar. Everyone was smiling and clapping, and she quite enjoyed herself. A roll of thunder snapped in the distance, and to her horror, a big black cloud headed their way.

“No,” she breathed as she recalled her previous encounter with the black cloud.

“You cannot be a musician! Why are you listening to them?” Lightning whipped around the sky. Her audience covered each other with their arms and hands.

“Leave us alone!” Junie raised her fist in the air.

“You think you’re so high and mighty?” The cloud roared.

A bolt of lightning raced from the sky and cut through her chest. Junie tried to stand, but she couldn’t; her limbs refused to move. 

“Junie!” her mom cried. She ran on the stage and held her daughters face in her hands. “Junie!”

Her father hovered over her, “It’s a shame, she was really doing something with that music stuff too.”

Junies eyes burst open and she sat up in her bed. She saw her mother staring at her in the doorway.

“School starts soon!” Her mother yelled.

saifmmlp2 says...

Hey, I wrote something like this yesterday in the same section, titled "That's you Mum." I like this one better, but check mine out and lemme kno what you think. this is actually really good, and i feel rlly sorry for Junie. Great story!

Thanks, I'll have to check it out :)

shaniac wrote a review...

Hello, shaniac here to review your piece!

Sorry, I'm kind of scatterbrained right now as I got back from a family gathering but I've wanted to review this since this morning as the title caught my attention. I think it was because I got the main concept right around and kind of made me wonder what the story is going to be about. And as I continued to read this piece, I kind of got swept up in how descriptive you present it. Even at the end, you tie it together, giving off different descriptions for how Junie felt. You basically just showing instead of telling. You are showing the reader a painted picture of her emotions and even, in the end, it just kind of leaves the reader left to guess as to what happened to Junie.

Song left her lips and the trees danced.

To make this sentence run smoother, add an 'a' in front of 'song' because she is singing a song to the trees. And since this sentence is happening now, 'danced' would be 'dance'. Also, in the beginning, why does she say finally? Even if you mention it later, I do think that you could hint at her mother being a bit of Miss Not-so-fun and not allowing her daughter to play the guitar.

Her father, graying hair and stress-wrinkles sat across from her.

'stress-winkles' doesn't sound quite like the right description and kind of chunks the sentence. I think it should be 'wrinkles of stress' and there should be a comma after wrinkles as you were describing him and then shifting to where he was sitting to Junie. Also, I'm noticing just from that description alone that her father cares more about her than her mother (even though the dialogue points that out :P), but the father works harder for the family than the mother does.

I kind of want something more to the family. Why is it awkward for them to sit together at the table? Why is it making Junie uncomfortable? You do kind of hint at it with the mother mentioning how her grades are falling, but I kind of want more. A bit of background as to why the family doesn't like to sit together. And it can be as simple as the table is usually messy to something as big as Junie doesn't talk much to her parents.

Her dusty rose colored lips smashed together like a cows when it eats.

This description intrigued me, not only do you paint a picture of how she is eating, but you compare her to an animal that is usually big or fat. There is a lot more descriptions I liked throughout this short story. The descriptions did set it up nicely. Also, it'd be 'a cow', not 'a cows' ;)

Dinner was a frustrating chunk of silence and embarrassment.

I think instead of frustrating, you could put 'awkward' because I wouldn't feel frustrated eating with my family, but instead awkward because I don't know what to do. I read somewhere or maybe my teacher told me, but you should put yourself in your character's shoes and think about how you may react to something like that. Or, something more traumatizing, that way they seem more realistic.

she couldn’t bring herself to sing for a while.

As a suggestion, to make this part a bit stronger, instead of 'a while' you could put 'for some time'. Means the same thing but 'for some time' gives it more of a vague timeline after dinner ended.

I like the song you chose because Somewhere Over the Rainbow is a very motivational song that you can sing if you are feeling down or just need that sudden boost of motivation to do something. And in this case, Junie is singing it as sort of an escape from her mother not allowing her to enjoy music, and putting her down.

She sank to the floor and tuned into the melodies her fingers chose. She breathed and closed her eyes.

These two sentences are kind of awkwardly worded. For example, with the first one, is it 'turned' or 'tuned', because when I read it over aloud 'turned' seems better. As Junie is playing her music, she is probably imagining herself floating on the music notes that lead her away from this place. With the next sentence, instead 'breathed', to make it a bit stronger, you could put 'she took a deep breath'.

It seems like the mother and daughter relationship kind of shifted from the beginning to where it mentions the jobs. When I first read the beginning, I got this vibe that Junie and her mother hated each other, and then even later when her mother points out that her grades are slipping. But it almost seems like they do talk a lot about life and how she got a job (which could be why her mother doesn't want her to become a musician for the fear that Junie will end up like her parents).

Then later on, you begin to get into more descriptions but this is what I mentioned earlier. You use these descriptions to paint a story and at the end, you leave the reader kind of wondering if she will ever be a musician or did her parents just tell her to give up.

To cap, I really liked this story. There was a message of don't let your folks eat you up when you want to do something. You just have to show them you can do it. I think you work more on how the family didn't eat together. If you mention or hint at it, I think it'll make the story run smoother. Have a good day/night and if you have any questions, let me know!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the story :D

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 pm
GoddessGurl wrote a review...

First of all, this is a beautifully atmospheric piece. There are a few distracting grammatical issues, and the language feels a bit overwritten in places (I would suggest trimming some adjectives and adverbs), but overall, the language is a perfect representation of Junie's magical soul trapped in a restrictive, toxic home. Well done in that regard.

Personally, I'd like to see her relationship with her parents developed more. They feel a bit like caricatures right now, and I think if you gave them specific traits, made them unique, it would make the story much stronger. What was her mother's failed passion, and why hasn't she pursued it? Why specifically does her father dislike his job? Answer those questions--even indirectly--and the family will feel real and immediate, which will make Junie's situation all the more empathetic.

Finally--and this may be the autistic part of my brain working--I wasn't sure if there were supposed to be fantastical aspects to the story or if all of the description along that line was just figurative. I assumed figurative, but it seems to me that, depending on the reader's interpretation, your story could feel like magical realism more than straight-up literary fiction. If other reviewers express the same sentiment, I'd suggest figuring out a way to clarify things a bit more, but don't change that solely on my account.

Congratulations. This piece really is excellent.

Thank you so much :) The fantastical aspects vs the figurative are supposed to be up to the reader and how they interpret it, but I can see how that could be confusing, so I will touch it up in places :D Thanks for the tips

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian