The Story of the Tinius Minimus

by Gnomish

Once there was a dragon. Not a large one, not like the Elaphauntus Magnus Dragons that live on Mars. No, it was not large. In fact, it was quite small. A Tinius Minimus, it was about as large as your biggest toenail. These dragons were unable to breath fire but they could fly so fast you couldn’t even see their wings. On they’re wings was a dragon mark. All dragons had one no matter how big or small. It symbolized that dragons were cruel vicious creatures.

These dragons stayed out of sight of humans because they weren’t big enough to kill humans and the humans, recognizing the mark would kill them.

This one Tinius Minimus was flying by a dragon cave when one of them popped out.

“Why do you not have a mark?” growled the dragon, for dragons without a mark were exiled from birth.

“Oh I do,” replied the little dragon as he slowed down so the other dragon could see his mark.

“So you do. You flew so fast I couldn’t even see it!” The other dragon retreated back into its cave. The little dragon had an idea. “What would the humans do if they couldn’t see my mark?” he wondered.

The next day, he crept into the human city in broad daylight and flew so fast no one could see his mark.

Suddenly, he made a big mistake. He saw a big fly and, without thinking, his dragon instinct took over and he snapped up the fly. In a minute he was aware of what he had done.

“Oh no!” he thought. “I’d better fly away.”

Then he realized the humans were clapping and cheering for him.

“Hurrah! Hurray! No more bugs!” Of course, because of how vain he was, the little dragon loved the attention. He quickly left, back to the little Tinius Minimus caves to tell the others.”

“Guys, come on. If we fly really fast humans can’t see our mark, and when we eat bugs they cheer!”

“Really?” asked a young dragon. “Let’s go!”

In no time at all, the little dragon and all his friends were eating bugs.

“What should we call them?” asked one man.

“Well, they’re flies that look like dragons. How about dragonflies?” one person suggested.

And so, the name stuck.

mthanmark263 says...

Hi it is mthanmark263 to do a review and can I just say really cool story. You really talented because this was an amazing and interesting story to read. It is the kind of story I would tell my sister to cheer up her day. First of all I loved the way you connected the name dragonflies to the little dragon Tinius Minimus cool name by the way. Second this was short and interesting to read, it was like I was watching a movie while reading this story. My favorite part was when the dragon saw the fly and his dragon instinct took over and the humans clapped. It was really straight to the point actually and one of my best stories. If I may ask where did you get the idea of writing this story.

Keep writing you really talented I can wait for your next work

Gnomish says...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the story!
I'm not really sure how I came up with the idea, probably just from watching dragonflies and wondering about the name.

mthanmark263 says...

really cool

mthanmark263 wrote a review...

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:22 pm
rosette wrote a review...

Hello there, Gnomish!

This is an adorable story that I found kind of fun. It was short and sweet and kiddish, in a way. (I especially liked how you cleverly used Tinius Minimus as the dragonfly's name :p). I think my favorite part about this story was how these dragons, who had to hide away in fear, were now celebrated by humans. It's a rather triumphant story and leaves one with a good feeling at the end.

Something that confused me, though, was the mark. All dragons have a dragon mark on their wings (though later it's noted that "dragons without a mark were exiled from birth," which made me curious), but what confused me was what the mark was. For a second I thought it was the wings because dragonflies fly so fast you can't even see their wings, and that's why they could get away with hanging around humans. BUT. I don't know if that's true. It might help to clear that portion of the story up. :]

The main dragonfly seems so cute - you might want to consider giving him a name. :p If you want to go into more detail with this story, I think that'd be great. You don't have to go Rudyard Kipling style, but something about this does remind me of his stories, (the Just So stories, at least, which are so much fun!) It might give a little more flavor to the story.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing! I hope you continue writing and I certainly hope to see more of your stories soon. :D

ta-ta!
~rosette <3

Gnomish says...

Thanks for the review! The mark is just a symbol that all types of dragons have on their wings so that they can recognize each other. I'll try to clear it up!

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:36 pm
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...

Hi there!
This is a cute story! I like it. :).
There is one sentence that I would change up a bit.

This one:
“Guys, come on. If we fly really fast they can’t see our mark, and when we eat bugs they cheer!”

While it is clear the dragon is talking about the humans, I would still say "humans" in this sentence. I think it would flow a little better. That is just me though. :)

That is all I noticed. Really good story!

Gnomish says...

Thanks FireSpyGirl!

I didn't see that but I'll change it right away!

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns