z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

schrödinger's love

by FireEyes


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

i once informed him of my affection.

and if you let me have my own thoughts,

secluded and only beknown to me,

i am simultaneously in love and bitter.

when do i morph into a hypocritical asshole?

do i become the changeling that fairies give parents

because i no longer have the spark in my eyes for him?

or do i shift to the undead, mindlessly perusing 

an unreciprocated love?

i am at war with someone i cannot get away from.

my heart flutters, yet i think he is the dumbest person alive.

i am enamored by his beauty, but i say, 

"you're not as ugly as i remember."

i long for something, and reality reminds me

of the canyon i straddle.

is there a love that bridals platonic and romantic?

i have to restrain myself from unrequited desire

and merciless brutality.

i try to be gentle, instead i shout and call names.

i want to give a friendly nudge, i end up with a lingering touch.

i entertain the idea of his look in my eyes being something more,

seconds later i beat down any concern toward him.

the rest of my body shakes and sways 

from the temper tantrum above.

he knocks on my prefrontal cortex

the second it is inconvenient,

and decides to lounge on the 

quiet couch of consciousness.

all in all, the strings around my wrists pull tighter.

i love and hate the bastard.

i can only settle once i get an answer.

but i fear the echo more than the silence.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:18 am
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi there, FireEyes! I thought I'd drop by with a review to bump your poem out of the Green Room!

This poem seems to be about the complexity of love and how feelings have a tendency of jumping around on us so that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what we're feeling at any given time (unfortunately, very relatable @_@). From the description in the Literary Center, I assume this poem is written from personal experience? Regardless, I think a LOT of people have felt this way at some point and so can connect to the poem on that level.

The narrator's response to their emotional turmoil seems to be channeling it into sort of more angry/aggressive emotions throughout the poem. Even the overall vibe of the imagery/language is very intense and aggressive - we have descriptions of war, "merciless brutality", "beat down", temper tantrums, strings around their wrist, and calling the love interest a "bastard". And I think this illustrates an interesting concept, which is that love and hate are two sides of the same coin and can sometimes almost feel indistinguishable (in that they're both intense feelings about someone you care deeply about). Having those angry images and emotions steers this far away from puppy-love-adoration territory and into angsty he-loves-me, he-loves-me-not territory. I'm sure you're aware I'm a fan of angst, so I'm certainly not complaining there!

While there are a lot of fabulous images in here for sure - my favourites being the canyon / echos / silence descriptions! they were just *chef's kiss* - I think they could be even more impactful if there was some sort of connecting thread or theme to the imagery. Like we jump around from fairies -> war -> canyons -> brains -> strings -> echoes. I do see some stuff related to sound popping up in a few spots, but other than that it's kind of all over the place. You don't necessarily need to make everything fit one specific imagery family, but if the transitions between images were smoother or more logical that would be great!

I also think leaning into the physical imagery could take it to the next level; like applying the beautiful metaphors and similes that you're great at writing to the physical symptoms of love (and hate) that the narrator is feeling. "Heart flutters" is a bit of a barebones description - can you dig deeper? How could you describe the "look in his eyes"?

Other than that I really don't have any critiques or suggestion for you! Your stylistic choices - punctuation, capitalization, line length - all work super well for the poem. I especially enjoy how you use short, snappy one-line sentences towards the end to convey intensity. It also makes it feel a bit like the poem is grinding to a stop in the last few lines (in a good way), which is a neat effect. And you do a great job of conveying the very complex emotions that the narrator is feeling in a way that the reader can understand and relate to, so kudos!

I hope this review proves helpful! Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to elaborate on ^_^

Best,
Seirre




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:04 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Hey FireEyes,

Excellent use of rhyme in this piece; it felt like a very melodic and passionate poem that would probably sound awesome read aloud too with all the sound devices.

Interpretation
The title sort of sets the stage for my interpretation - but I am interpreting the poem to be about how the narrator is trying to figure out their feelings of "do I love him" or "do I not love him" and unfortunately like shroedinger's cat/box it's not really clear to them until it's "out there". Definitely gets at two interesting aspects of relationships that aren't often explored in poetry but are totally true that 1) sometimes it's not straightforward to know whether you're "in love or not" despite what movies and literature usually suggest! and 2) sometimes you have to put yourself out there in order to see if the other person reciprocates those feelings.

As an awkward little subnote here: I don't know if you are writing this poem from personal experience, but I definitely found myself relating @_@ and remembered a particularly excruciatingly awkward middle school?? experience when I person asked me if I liked them [GIANT LIFE-ENDING PAUSE AS I THINK THROUGH MY OPTIONS] and then the same time that I say "yes" he says "as friends". here's some vintage alliyah poetry about the situation @_@' lol life and love and emotions are awkward and confusing sometimes! And I think you'll probably evoke a connection for a lot of readers which in poetry is def good and I think is also accomplished by how personal / vulnerable the speaker comes across in this piece.

Highlights
My favorite aspect of the poem was definitely the rhyming, that was a nice add and really felt like it elevated what could have felt like maybe an immature experience; into something a bit deeper / thoughtout.

You also did a really solid job of giving bodily imagery / sensory descriptions in a way that was very vivid and realistic while staying away from cliche emotional descriptions.

Like these lines,

the rest of my body shakes and sways

from the temper tantrum above.

he knocks on my prefrontal cortex

the second it is inconvenient,

and decides to lounge on the

quiet couch of consciousness.


^ the mixed metaphor there that sort of alludes to the narrator being absolutely stirred up while the boy is .. clueless? or has no idea / effort in the situation is excellent!

The last line was also super intriguing because it implied to me that the narrator is just as scared of the subject also being in love as they are to the silence / lack of knowing which is a definite twist from what I was expecting / assuming.

Suggestions
I thought you did a fair job editing this - the only distraction piece I had while reading is that I think rather than "gentile" (which is like non-Jewish / sometimes Greek people or pagan nations) I think you mean "gentle" or the archaic "genteel" perhaps.

I also at some level can understand being super annoyed at the person that you simultaneously like, but I had a little bit of a tricky time following where the heat of the narrator's anger is coming from? Are there habits they hate, or do they just dislike that they aren't loved back / secure in knowing the definition of their relationship, or has something negative happened between them? Some of the that background may be good to hint at, but just was a curiosity for me while reading.

I also think something that would take this poem to the next level is to lean into the "spoken word" aspects you already have going with the steady rhyme and passionate content, and maybe see if you can incorporate some more sound devices too? I'd love to see it lean in that direction even more since it has such a solid start.

Overall it was an enjoyable read, that as I said definitely sparked up some empathy and resonance to me as well. If written from personal experience I hope the situation feels settled soon because that sounds like a really frustrating / painful place to be in!

all the best,


ps. happy revmo!

alliyah

Image




FireEyes says...


Thank you so much for the review!
I think you mean "gentle" or the archaic "genteel" perhaps.
Oh my *facepalms* I always get the two confused, I'll be sure to edit that.
I don't know if you are writing this poem from personal experience,
Yup, this is personal experience.
I had a little bit of a tricky time following where the heat of the narrator's anger is coming from?
To be honest, I don't know where the anger comes from either. Maybe it is because I perceive him as angry towards me, I feel like I have to mirror that anger.
I also think something that would take this poem to the next level is to lean into the "spoken word" aspects you already have going with the steady rhyme and passionate content
I didn't even know I was rhyming 0-0. Maybe I'll lean into it more.
Again, thank you!



alliyah says...


You're welcome! And thanks for the replies !! :)




Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop