Home » Literary works » Other » Narrative

Scared

by FireEyes

Do you ever have that feeling where you think you are a bad person? You know you've done things that aren't so favorable but you only see those bad actions. You know you aren't a bad person but something still wracks in your brain telling you everything you have done wrong. No sense can come through. You know you do so many more and great good things that would certainly counter any naughty thing you did before but that feeling still haunts you, I am a bad person.

I can't shake those feelings. I know what I did to someone hurt them and I never got the chance to apologize. I'm scared she'll think of me as wicked, doomed to forever be that person I was two years ago. I can't control what people think of me. I can't control the past or the future.

I

am

not

in 

c o n t r o l

Why? Why can't I mold things into the way I want them to be? I am scared of the unknown. Nothing I do can change anything. All I do will only fall out into misery. 

Now this thing- this feeling- is looming over my shoulder whispering into my ear, "No matter what you do, you will not be good enough." Oh, great another thing to worry about. Stress envelops me and there is only a darkness surrounding me. I can't handle this. Am I a basket case? 

When I was young- when we- were young nothing bothered us. Sure, little Suzy called us a name or Ron took our favourite pencil but we got over that in a day or two. Now with all this self-awareness things seem off. The world is a darker place. The things that scared us most on the news were forest fires and those endangered species. Now there are people out there that want to hurt us. No, they were always there, but we just chose to not acknowledge them. We used to only care what our hair looked like but not our bodies are something to be unhappy about. The only thing in our lives were staying up past 10 pm or begging our mom's to buy us that toy we really wanted. Now we stress about a paper that's due tomorrow and other people's opinions.

Just stop and take a step back. You're here. I'm here. We have both survived 100% of our hardest days. Isn't that amazing? Now we just need to keep doing that. If that means dropping a friend who isn't so friendly, or talking to a professional, or taking some time off for yourself, so be it. Better that than living in fear of all that stuff.

Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:26 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

I was hooked from the very first line. The first line actually made me think if I am a good person or a bad person. This is a direct piece.
You know what our brain sometimes acts the opposite - I mean it opposes us. But, we shouldn't do the blunder of listening to it.

Stress! It has taken over the world. Over 50% of the world's population is heavily stressed. I hope it will decrease.

You're here. I'm here
I really liked this line. It tells the audience to live at present. We generally don't live at present. Most of the time, we are immersed in future and past...

Whatever, it was an enjoyable read.

illy7896 wrote a review...

This was a really direct piece that forces the audience to ask a lot of questions about themselves. You should totally write this down in a short story with those two characters Suzy and Ron. This piece has been done in a fictional way yet it is very honest and direct- well done.
And you are definitely right about the subject of this story. We really do limit ourselves and keep on telling ourselves that we can't do something because of this and that. We have been taught that we aren't capable. This is really good and I love the way that you have introduced the two characters exercise your point.

Perhaps to make more of an effect on the reader, you could have more short sentences and full stops. I reckon that breaking this piece up would make it flow in a more clear manner and also give more room for the reader to think: 'Oh, great another thing to worry about.' I think that by adding a full stop in this sentence, it could make more of an effect: 'Oh. Great. Another thing to worry about.' This is completely up to you, and you've done really well with your rhetorical questions and illustrating your inner thoughts. Really well done. I also hope that you are okay and I too have those very same emotions, and you can achieve whatever you want to achieve. I also loved your ending. It's true. we have survived every moment of hardship that we've had to face because we are here now.

I enjoyed reading this piece :)

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:40 am
starlitmind says...

ahhhhh wow this hurt my heart to read, wishing you much love <333 i'm always here if you ever want to talk :) <33

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman