z

Young Writers Society



The opposite of happy

by FireEyes


We often say the opposite of happy is sad. But what about anger? We often overlook anger as a triad of these emotions. But anger still isn't the same as sadness. We never hear of people comparing sadness and anger as the same sort of emotion. But how does happiness fit into this triad? 

We first need to examine what joy's roll is for us. Joy or happiness is present when something in our environment is beneficial, something we like is present, or when something happens that sparks a memory that was happy. Now anger and sadness are presented in the same way just with differing igniting factors. Now think, can we also say the opposite of happy is angry? If you couldn't think of an answer let me simplify it even more. Is the opposite of a negative emotion a positive emotion? Most likely you thought yes.

People often believe happiness is the goal. We strive to be happy and try to diminish any negative feelings. In reality we should be striving for a balance. We couldn't have and appreciate any one emotion without the others.

Here's the thing, we need to stop simplifying each emotion. Happy isn't just happy, it can be love, faith, optimism, excited or anything else that provokes a positive feeling. Sad isn't just sad, it can be empathy, compassion, understanding, nostalgia or anything else that sparks a tender and almost vulnerable feeling. Angry isn't just angry, it can also be passion, power, justice, pride or anything else that gives a sense of meaning or success. 

In reality we don't go our day-to-day lives feeling pure joy, sadness, or anger. There are layers to these feelings. In most cases there are mixes of these emotions like melancholy, miserable, and bold. Heck, there are even more basic emotions we feel other than these three. We can feel suspicious, hesitant, brash, and copious of other things. We need to stop the mindset that kindergarteners have. As we get older our feelings mature with us, but in this day and age we think of them so basically.

So what is the opposite of happy? Well, it's everything you and I feel. There cannot be an exact opposite.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
78 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 78

Donate
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 am
View Likes
NivedaJames22 wrote a review...



Hey!

For starters, I love how deep and introspective this piece is. The entire concept is beautiful. I love how you explain the whole "kindergarten mindset".

I love how you describe this part:

In reality we don't go our day-to-day lives feeling pure joy, sadness, or anger. There are layers to these feelings. In most cases there are mixes of these emotions like melancholy, miserable, and bold. Heck, there are even more basic emotions we feel other than these three. We can feel suspicious, hesitant, brash, and copious of other things. We need to stop the mindset that kindergarteners have. As we get older our feelings mature with us, but in this day and age we think of them so basically.

It reminds me of the "The world isn't purely black or white - its a mixture with varying shades of grey" thing.

On the whole, you have presented a highly philosophical thought in a beautiful way.

Keep writing.




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 12
Reviews: 42

Donate
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:24 pm
View Likes
EsmerayaRose wrote a review...



Hi, brokenHeartsAri here for a short review!


I couldn't really relate to this but, I could understand where your coming from.


"So what is the opposite of happy? Well, it's everything you and I feel. There cannot be an exact opposite."


When you ask someone what is the opposite of happy they atomically say: melancholily miserable
sad unhappy
upset depressed
troubled disappointed
disturbed down


Yes, some are true but sad can mean many things.

Just like Happy can mean many things.

This is why I loved that you pointed this out.


We are feeling sad and upset about the recent tragic events which have unfolded.
This can mean sad
or depressed
Or anything



The real question What is happiness?

happiness is used in the context of mental or emotional states.

But can you define it?
They say "Happiness is when your life fulfills your needs."

I think they are all Lies
Because Happiness never fulfill mine it was always that loneliness or the depression state that got me where I needed to be.

Feelings are like glass.
They break
They can be put back together
They can be covered up when wanted to.

My favorite part of this was
"In reality, we don't go our day-to-day lives feeling pure joy, sadness, or anger. There are layers to these feelings. In most cases, there are mixes of these emotions like melancholy, miserable, and bold"

This really stuck out to me

many of our emotions are unpleasant and unproductive. If you want to manage or minimize your negative moods known as “self-regulation” it’s worth your time to more accurately pinpoint exactly what you’re feeling.

I hope to see more of your work soon!

---BrokenHeartsAri




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:42 am
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hello fireeyes!! Here for a review. This will be very short becuz I don't have much to suggest!

Nitpicks:

We often overlook anger as a Triade of these emotions.

I guess triade will be triad.

I just could not find any other mistakes!!

Overall:
You really did a great job in making us think about it deeply. You just straight-forward told that we need to come out of those kindergarten lessons– I really liked that line. One thing you could add is not only happiness but each and everything has its own positive and negative side. Maybe it's something not very related to what u wrote but it just came to my mind while reading.
You did a great job! Keep it up!!

~Forever





I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble.
— Rudyard Kipling