Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Other

The Biggest Mysteries Of The Universe

by EverLight

Astrophysicists have grown in their knowledge of the universe. Most of them know what stars are and where they come from. Why most Astrophysicists even know how the universe began. Yet, something still doesn’t add up. Many age-old mysteries regarding the universe’s origin and composition remain unsolved. And these very astrophysicists are starting to ask these frightening questions-What is the universe hiding? What aspect of the universe are we missing? Why do we keep missing it? The following are some of those baffling, mysteries.

What is Dark Energy?

With all the gravity in the universe, one would think the universe should be pulling together-but it’s not. In fact, the universe is stretching apart. Why? Scientists believe the answer is a kind of energy called Dark Energy. But they have no clue as to what it looks like, where it could be, or why it’s and why it’s stronger than gravity.

What is Dark Matter?

81% of matter in the universe is missing. But astrophysicists know it’s there because they can see its effects. (It keeps galaxies from tearing apart.) But they are no closer to figuring out what it is. Where is Dark Matter? What does it look like? Is Dark Matter a particle? The effects of another universe?

Why is there more Matter then Antimatter?

Matter and Antimatter are twins. One mirrors the other. However, this means that there should be equal amounts of matter and Antimatter. But as you know, Matter is far more common. Why? What happened when the universe began all those years ago that made matter more common than antimatter?

What caused the universe to re-ionize?

In its early days, the universe was a hot, energetic, place. Astronomers say that 13. billion years ago, it went through a re-ionization. The problem is, scientists have no clue what caused that re-ionization. Was it some extinct form of matter? An extinct type of particle? What?

The truth is, astrophysicists are no closer to answering those questions than when they were first proposed-in fact, they are quite baffled by them. And no mystery has ever terrified scientists more than those four.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:18 am

Hey Ever, I'm reviewing essays today, and your's had a great intriguing title, so I had to click on it.

So what I liked best about this:

- You are very concise. Long essays are great for scientific journals, but for a piece maybe written for YWS audiences, they can get a bit lengthy for just a casual friday-night reading session. Good job getting a lot of information in a short amount of space.

- You use great casual language to keep it entertaining. While this isn't appropriate for an academic essay, for the type of piece you're doing I think it worked purposely, parts of it made me laugh and kept me engaged. I think you could have done a bit less with the hypothetical questions though since there were just a lot of paragraphs that ended in "what" and "why" which got a bit repetitive.

- Lastly, I think your premise was very interesting - like I said, I clicked on this because I saw the title, and the intro also kept me reading. I particularly liked this line, "these very astrophysicists are starting to ask these frightening questions-What is the universe hiding?" (just a note, that you should put a spaces between the dash when you aren't trying to link them to be one word -> so it should be written as "questions - What" and in this case you really don't need the dash in the first place).

Now a few things I think could be improved on.

- I'm not sure why you chose this list of mysteries, but it doesn't strike me as very comprehensive, and I'd like to hear why you chose these specific topics.

- I'd love to see a bit more depth in the scientific information, especially in terms of theories and citations and how these concepts effect our daily lives.

That's about all I had to say, I'm no science-expert so I can't speak to the accuracy of your statements, which is again why I'd love to see some citations or sources for your information, or even just something about where or why you've been researching.

Happy writing!

alliyah

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:31 pm
KatjaDawn wrote a review...

Hey EverLight, Katja here to review your essay! As with all of my reviews please feel free to disregard any and all comments or suggestions I make, should you find them to be unhelpful. With that being said, lets get into the review~

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on these topics. I made sure to cite my sources and research each topic in depth before making my review, so if I made any errors I apologize in advance!

Overall Thoughts

Firstly, I like that your essay calls to question many important aspects of science in general and how the world is what it is, the forces that make it what it is, and the different theories and proposed reasons. Your essay made me do my own research and think back on all of my school lessons to really grasp the various mentioned ideas- which is awesome because it interested me enough to do so~

Secondly, I love the information you provided and covered to back up your thoughts on these topics. Your thoughts are clear and concise and you use useful information to convey this. Because it's an informative piece, and you provide a lot of information, however, I would have liked to see sources for the information you provided.

I'm going to cover each section to comment on individually to help keep my review organized from here on out...

Thoughts while reading...

Dark Energy and Dark Matter

According to NASA the universe is made up as follows: 68% dark energy, 27% dark matter, and 5% normal matter. The proposal of Dark Matter and Dark Energy in and of itself is saying that the 95% of the universe made up of these two things is not missing at all but exists differently than "normal matter". Your suggestion that "81% of the universe is missing" works, if it is an opinion statement as opposed to a citation of Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Though I'm uncertain what sources you used for this piece (for example, what source cited it was 81%?), so that is just my thoughts on this portion of your essay.

Matter and Anti-Matter

According the Live Science anti-matter has the opposite properties in their sub-atomic particles. To expand on this, they go on to explain the properties of anti-particles are opposite that of normal matter's atoms.

In the case of antimatter, the electrical charge is reversed relative to matter, according to NASA. Anti-electrons (called positrons) behave like electrons but have a positive charge. Anti-protons, as the name implies, are protons with a negative charge.

Your questions seem to disregard proposed theories that answer them- though you may disagree with the theories, it is important to acknowledge them and counter-argue with them if you disagree.

For example, the answer to your question of why there is more matter than anti-matter in one theory, as mentioned on the Live Science article, states that more matter was created after the big bang so that when the matter and anti-matter collided (which causes both to annihilate each other and creates energy-- this is something confirmed and has been studied) there would be enough "normal" matter left to create galaxies, planets, stars... You could then counter-argue if you disagree.

The Re-Ionized Universe

The universe was said to exist in, as you said, a "hot, energetic place" which prevented electrons and protons from coming together and forming neutral atoms. It is said that after 380,000 years give or take, the universe had cooled enough to allow for them to form neutral atoms and created hydrogen and helium and eventually formed stars. It is said the big bang occurred during these "dark ages" and the re-ionization of the universe was completed about 1 billion years after that. There is information such as Cosmic Microwave Background that we are able to observe and provide useful information backing parts of this theory, Light wavelengths, electromagnetic spectrum, etc.... It's a LOT to take in. Because there is so much to the theory involving the re-ionizing of the universe, to say "The problem is, scientists have no clue what caused that re-ionization." Ignores the presented information as a whole.

I disagree with this on the basis that scientists are always studying, discovering, and presenting their findings over time. There is a lot of information I feel was ignored, but also like I said earlier, it could be you simply disagree in some way- which is why i feel it is important to present the theory/theories and counter-argue with them in your essay.

Suggestions

I highly recommend presenting the information available out there for the theories you discuss, in much more depth and then explain your side. Your essay goes in with the assumption the reader 1. knows what you're discussing and 2. ignores key points within the available information on these topics.

Summary

Thank you for making me really think these topics through and do some research! I love that your piece really made me thoroughly consider what i believe given the presented information and I love when a piece can do this. I do really like the questions you asked, but I feel like there are already answers presented that you could clarify whether or not you agree with- and you make assumptions that you write as facts. It is important to remember to be objective and present information without making your own assumptions come off as definitive facts. You can definitely use your opinion and try to sway readers, but to be fair I'm uncertain if the essay is meant to persuade or present facts- I assume a combo of both so that is what I'm basing my review on.

Overall, job well done. It does help to cite sources so the reader also knows where you got your information from.

Other than that I hope my review was helpful!

Keep Writing,

~Katja

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:21 am
LadyMysterio says...

Cool Essay, One thing that came into my mind while reading was something my chemistry teacher talked about in school. She said that there is a there is theory that a light source doesn't produce light but "sucks' the darkness away (they've named them dark suckers) Its an interesting theory.

I learned some cool stuff from this. If I didn't want to be an actor I would probabily be an Astrophysicist. I love space. I can't really find anything to review on this, other wise I would.
I was thinking about how scientists try to "Scientifically" explain everything, but somthings can't be, like Jesus rising from the dead, or Mary being a virgin and having a baby.

-Lady Mysterio

EverLight says...

True. Half of science isn't really about facts-it's about theories.

No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance