Death's Servant - Chap. 6

by Evander

A/N: Edited, although I definitely missed some stuff. Once again, I'm looking for tips on character interaction, description, and flow. Predictions on where you think the story could be going would be nice. Word count is 1,180

Summary - Cora, Samuel, Lena, and Romy are the main characters. The first three are humans, the last one is a ghost. This takes place in the underworld after Lena, a seven-year-old, fell through.

-

Samuel clapped his hands together, calling attention to himself and his words. Cora turned around, catching his hardened glare.“I don’t care who explains at this point. The ghost’s voice is awful, but C-O-R-A obviously has something to hide. I’ll put up with the ghost if I get the truth, but it’s painful.”He contorted his features into an awful expression, signing the twisting sign for pain.

Cora quickly connected the dots, realizing that Romy’s distorted radio-signal voice was probably sending Samuel’s hearing aids into a haywire frenzy. Without thinking, she signed for Romy to wait, not waiting to hear the ghost’s objections on the matter, and then launched an explanation that she didn’t know that she had prepared.

She had never told a living soul about this. Tears continued to flow down her face, but she hastily wiped them off and sniffed back the snot that blocked her breathing.

“I haven’t murdered anyone, if you’re worrying.” A horrific image of her dad appeared in mind’s eye, the scene of his death altered with splattered blood on the walls instead of the equally horrific, yet still mundane, truth. “My parents died when I was eight. It’s my fault, partially.”

She studied the expression on Samuel’s face, watching his irritation ripple away into mild confusion, although his cheeks were still stained with light pink. His stance had relaxed somewhat, shoulders no longer stiff. Cora cast her gaze down to Lena, no longer burying her head into Samuel’s check and looking toward Romy — who, based on Lena’s drifting focus, was probably floating to and fro in the background.

They both looked so alone in contrast to the vast yet empty background in the underworld. The short grass grew into tall grass which seemed to span on for millennia, perhaps punctuated by a tree here and there. A long, empty gravel path stretched lazily across the terrain, dotted with dead torches every so often.

“Your fault?” Samuel signed, an eyebrow quirked up. With fault, Cora noticed that the glow offered by Romy no longer hit Samuel. Instead, he had his own soft fire-like glow that radiated off his hands and brought clarity to his sign. The longer he stood there, the more it increased in brightness.

A horrible musing flashed across Cora’s mind, once again connecting the dots like a sick childhood puzzle.

Not knowing if it was the breeze or recalling childhood memories, she shivered. Regardless, she chose her words as carefully as possible. “G-R-I-M R-E-A-P-E-R-S attract death. Drain souls,” she winced at this, no longer looking Samuel in the eyes. “It’s not intentional. I don’t want it. I didn’t ask for it.” Cora wanted to give the truth, yet found herself dancing around the horrific topic of soul siphoning. She found herself at a loss for words again, realizing that her previous refusal to enter the underworld meant that Romy was right. She was woefully underprepared to explain anything about her life. How could she explain the status that came with being a reaper if she ran away from it at every turn?

The impact of her decisions held heavy on her shoulders, Samuel’s backpack and the emotional weight of her sketchbook causing her knees want to buckle. Yet, she found herself still standing.

“Drain souls?”For the second time that night, the color flushed away. “What do you mean?”Samuel’s signing became more rushed.

“If you don’t want it, then give it up,” Lena said, her tone so matter-of-fact that it was surprising to hear it from a seven-year-old. The aftermath of her crying spell was still apparent on her face, her eyes rimmed with red and still swollen from crying. “I mean, if I don’t want a stuffed animal anymore, then I give it up. S’not hard or anything.”

Cora nearly panicked, trying to remember the appropriate age to be exposed to death — she didn’t even think about Lena paying attention — her pets had started dying when she was five, so she never had a good metric for when other kids had to adjust to the harsh realities of life. “I wish it worked like that,” she signed down to Lena, a half-smile dancing on her face. If anything, Cora was happy to dance over Samuel’s questions for just a few moments longer.

Lena shrugged, “It can work like that if ya want it too.” She peeled herself away from Samuel, making a huge deal of waving your hands. “You’re talking about grim reapers and death and murder and stuff — like you’re scary or something. But you’re not? I’ve seen pictures of reapers. You’re nuthing like that.” Gesturing around the underworld, she continued. “This is kinda scary when I’m alone, but it’s gettin’ easier now that my big bro is here. I really wanna go, though— it’s chilly and I’m tiiired.”

Cora cut Lena off mid-ramble. “S-A-M-U-E-L and I will get you out of here. Don’t worry. R-O-M-Y will help too.”She glanced to Samuel, gauging his reaction — he still seemed antsy, sign suspended midair.

He caught her gaze.

“You can call him Sam, y’know? Only I can call him Sammy, but everyone else calls him Sam! Except Mama when she’s really mad—“

Samuel put a hand on Lena’s shoulder and she looked up at him. Softly, he shook his head and signed, “Now is not the time.”

In a huff, Lena sat down on the grass and crossed her arms over her chest. “I just wanted to help…” Her voice trailed off into the night and she flopped onto her back, staring up at the seemingly permanent empty sky.

Samuel raised his eyebrows over at Cora, repeating his previous question.

“I’m a monster, I know,” Cora started. “It’s not purposeful — I can’t control it. There isn’t controlling it. D-E-A-T-H marked me with it…” She paused, blinking back the tears from her eyes. Still, she found herself dancing around the actual meat of the question — maybe if she ducked and dodged enough, then he’d be satisfied with her lack of answer. Yet, despite her hoping, she knew it wouldn’t work. “The longer someone is around me, the more of their soul is drained away. It’s worsened by physical contact. It’s a side effect of being a reaper.” She forced her face into a large smile, trying to make light of a situation surrounded by an utter shroud of abyss.

“Like the ghost’s explanation of here? This place sucks away souls?”

“Yes.”

Samuel stood there in silent contemplation for a moment.

“I’m sorry if you hate me. I’ve put you and L-E-N-A at risk.” A shuddering sense of dread creeped back up her spine. More apologies started to come to mind, thinking about all the times she had put Samuel and Lena at risk by just existing. Cora began to sign sorry again, but—

Samuel wrapped her in a hug before she had a chance.

I like Cora diving into an explanation on her own because she realizes Romy's voice is literally painful to Samuel because of his hearing aids. It's a nice way to slip into Cora explaining herself and a wonderful motive for it. Not that she wouldn't want to explain herself anyway in the hopes that her explanation will make them less angry with her than Romy's might, but this is a lovely pure motive.

The author's note in this chapter really helped me understand Lena in the last chapter. She was so tearful it was almost over-the-top, but I was picturing them all as teenagers, and it turns out she's just a kid. Soooooo that makes a lot more sense to me now.

On the note of her childhood:

Gotta love kid logic. Honestly I think the matter-of-factness goes right along with being a seven-year-old. Kids tend to be much more matter-of-fact about things than adults do.

V IMPORTANT QUESTION is the light she notices around Samuel his soul beginning to be sucked away by being in the underworld/near a reaper? I was confused on this point and unsure whether or not I was even meant to understand what was going on just.

I loooooooove this right at the end, because she literally just told them that physical contact makes it worse, but he doesn’t even care. He’s not angry or even scared; he just feels so bad for her (I’m guessing, because I sure do) because her parents died and her pets kept dying and she didn’t even know why, as a child, everyone she loved kept disappearing on her. #tragic

I think the flow/pacing in this chapter is really tops—we get an explanation of Cora, her as a reaper, and her past without it going into too much detail, getting too long, or slowing things down. I like how Lena really just doesn’t understand what the big deal is, or, more specifically, why Cora can’t just get rid of this horrible, bizarro power. The character interactions were also pretty much spot-on for me, except that after seeing Lena cry so much in the last chapter it felt weird for her to suddenly be “what? I was just trying to help.” But at the same time, little kids can literally be screaming one minute and totally fine the next, so it’s not actually unrealistic; it just felt off to me for some reason.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm
Hattable wrote a review...

Heya, Adri!

Another chapter so soon?? Heck yeah! (I actually have no sense of how close the two are, I'm going based on when I last reviewed, which was yesterday. I'm now remembering, though, that I left the previous chapter hanging for a few days, haha)

I'm going to jump right into it because this is already pretty long.

I’ll put up with the ghost if I get the truth, but it’s painful.”He contorted his features into an awful expression, signing the twisting sign for pain.

You seem to be missing a space between the closing quotation mark and "He".

Without thinking, she signed for Romy to wait, not waiting to hear the ghost’s objections on the matter, and then launched an explanation that she didn’t know that she had prepared.

I think "waiting" could stand to be changed. It's a bit repetitive with the command for Romy to wait. Maybe try "not pausing to hear [...]"?

A horrific image of her dad appeared in mind’s eye,

Did you mean "her mind's eye"?

She studied the expression on Samuel’s face, watching his irritation ripple away into mild confusion, although his cheeks were still stained with light pink.

Did his skin turn pink out of frustration?

Cora cast her gaze down to Lena, no longer burying her head into Samuel’s check and looking toward Romy — who, based on Lena’s drifting focus, was probably floating to and fro in the background.

Samuel's what now?

Also, haha at Lena keeping an eye on Romy.

They both looked so alone in contrast to the vast yet empty background in the underworld.

"of the underworld"? Also are you not going to be capitalizing it or is that only for this instance? I think capitalizing it would be proper, but I don't know for sure.

The short grass grew into tall grass which seemed to span on for millennia,

I'm pretty sure you're trying to envoke that the grass nearer them is short, and further out it gets taller, but this wording sort of makes it read as though the grass just grew?

A long, empty gravel path stretched lazily across the terrain, dotted with dead torches every so often.

I personally feel that "through" or a similar word would work better here. "Across" just sort of has me envisioning a path parallel to their position, stretching along somewhere in the field, rather than from them and into it, which I'm guessing is your intended imagery? I know that "across" should work to convey that, but I just keep imagining the parallel path first. This is probably just a me thing, so you probably shouldn't change it unless more people agree, but yeah--

That's a nit-picky beat, but I hope I at least made sense with it.

Instead, he had his own soft fire-like glow that radiated off his hands and brought clarity to his sign. The longer he stood there, the more it increased in brightness.

Neat neat neat. Only thing here is the lack of commas in "own soft fire-like glow" which I think would be better punctuated as "own, soft, fire-like glow" or at least "own soft, fire-like glow". I'm not sure which of the two examples are more proper because sometimes I go too heavy with commas and sometimes I'm too light, but they're available for your selection.

The impact of her decisions held heavy on her shoulders, Samuel’s backpack and the emotional weight of her sketchbook causing her knees want to buckle.

Your grammar stumbled at the end of this sentence and I'm not quite sure the wording you were going for. "Causing her knees to want to buckle" seems the most obvious.

"Drain souls?”For the second time that night,

You're missing another space here, oops!

What do you mean?”Samuel’s signing became more rushed.

Oh, and here.

“I mean, if I don’t want a stuffed animal anymore, then I give it up. S’not hard or anything.”

LENA. BABBY. IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE BUT AWH.

she didn’t even think about Lena paying attention

I think "she hadn't even thought" would work better here, as it shows that Cora hadn't considered it before going into the explanation, whereas the wording here makes it feel more present? And not quite like that. 'That' being what I think you intended.

She peeled herself away from Samuel, making a huge deal of waving your hands.

Why is Lena waving my hands now-- what is this reader-insertion-- leT mE oUT.

like you’re scary or something. But you’re not? I’ve seen pictures of reapers. You’re nuthing like that.”

“This is kinda scary when I’m alone, but it’s gettin’ easier now that my big bro is here. I really wanna go, though— it’s chilly and I’m tiiired.”

Thank you? For giving us? More Lena? She's great, favorite character, adorable.

I love this, but I also have to admit that it feels a tad on the nose in regard to, like, Sam being the obvious nickname and all. And then Sam's reaction added to it makes for it all to be an unnecessary addition.

I still like it, but I'm not sure how realistic it is for the situation they're in, and Lena now no longer seems affected by the fear she had just moments before. Like it's just been washed away? So this causes some inconsistency in her behavior at the moment. But it's still great and I hope it can stay in some way.

In a huff, Lena sat down on the grass and crossed her arms over her chest.

Now this is going to be particularly nit-picky, but I think I recall you saying there was a clearing with no grass where they landed? Not sure, but I think maybe?

“I just wanted to help…” Her voice trailed off into the night and she flopped onto her back, staring up at the seemingly permanent empty sky.

Yeah, and now Lena is perfectly fine again, which doesn't feel particularly consistent. I'd attribute the quick shift in mood to her being 7 years old? But she's also 7 years old and would probably cling to her fear a bit more than this.

And end!

This ending is better than the alternate version you shared in WFP, buuut it was still pretty rushed, I think? What with the "but-- Samuel wrapped her in a hug before she had a chance." It's fast and feels like a single long sentence that's been cut in two by the em-dash? Uh.
Maybe you could find a way to make it less fast-paced, draw it out a little, not make it so abrupt. The ending sentence with Samuel's hug feels a bit weak, too, but I think that's simply due to the broken sentence feeling.

Character consistency has remained for Cora and Samuel, I think. Cora is understandably worried about how her foster siblings will react, as she's been throughout the story. And she clung to hiding the truth even when trying to explain it (until the end), but this felt more to protect herself than to protect them, so a slight shift? She's previously been largely about protecting them. Not sure I'm making sense.

Romy was very quiet, haha. But it's good for her to take a back seat or else she's probably have you wanting to retcon more things. -wink-

Lena was the least consistent, what with her mood swinging from Absolute Fear to "Oh haha I'm chill".

Pacing was pretty good this chapter, I think. Flow, too. I'm sort of rambling now and not sure what else to touch on, so--

I hope this was helpful, though! Good work!

- Hatt

Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse