z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Snow Queen (Chapter 2)

by ErikaHale


Chapter 2

"Woah!" Andrei exclaimed, passing a hand through his shaggy brown hair. "This room alone is three times bigger than our farm!"

"Shush, my boy!" Ivan said to his grandson. "The princess will never take us seriously if you keep gaping at the ceiling like that!"

"But it's just so beautiful, dedushka!" The young man exclaimed, craning his neck at the painted figures that spread all over the ceiling above them. "Look at all the detail! At the fine brushstrokes that form that woman's hair!"

"Andrei!" cried Ivan, his eyes starting to burn with rage. "We did not travel this far just so you could marvel at the way someone painted the ceilings of the royal castle! We came here with only one purpose, and that is to report the reason why you have to permanently cover Ranger's rear with that blanket! Now stand up straight, keep your mouth shut and nod along, alright?"

The young boy gave up at once and stared down at his shoes. "Alright." 

Just then, a butler entered the room and ushered the two raiders towards the main staircase.

Said butler then stood beside the staircase, cleared his throat and announced: "All bow to Princess Sonya of Russia!"

Andrei's heart literally skipped a beat when he saw the princess descend from the wooden stairwell that led to her vast living room. Her misty grey eyes to him were like two perfect spheres which contained a thousand ancient storms. Her soft, pale skin reminded him of the most delicate of iceberg roses. Her blond hair, which was arranged in a flawless bun and adorned with shiny white pearls, only added to her immaculate beauty.

Andrei would never forget the dress that she was wearing that cold spring morning. It had short, puffy sleeves and a long red velvet skirt that gently brushed the carpet at her feet. And right in between her bosoms, a perfectly immaculate white corsage.

But the most impressive thing about her image wasn't her soft complexion, or her luxurious dress. It was the small golden crown that sat on top of her blond head, reflecting the light irradiating from the lamps.

"Good evening, gentlemen." She greeted them, her voice still childlike and feminine. "I am princess Sonya Bezukhov. It is a pleasure to meet you. I hear you have traveled far to see me."

"The pleasure is all ours, princess." Ivan said with a smile right before gently kissing her gloved hand.

"Please, follow me to the throne room."

The two gentlemen did as they were told.

Andrei watched closely as Sonya sat on a dark mahogany chair which seemed miniscule compared to her father's intimidating throne.

"Well..." Sonya huffed, sitting up on her little throne to communicate an air of importance. "Why have you traveled all this way?"

"We seek your wisdom, princess." Andrei's grandfather explained. "You see, someones broke into the stables a few days ago-"

"Sorry to interrupt, mister… ?"

"Bolkonskaya." Replied the old man with a smile.

"Of course. I beg your pardon, Mister Bolkonskaya, but what do you mean by 'someones?'"

"There were tons of footsteps on the floor of the stables." Andrei informed her, his voice deepened by the inevitable changes of adolescence. "Four pairs of shoes, I think."

"Interesting." Said the princess, relieved that this urgent matter was indeed urgent. "And how did they get in?"

"They turned the lock into ice!" The young man blurted out, seemingly excited. "We found the pieces on the floor the next morning! It was all covered in frost!"

"But that's impossible. The only person who could be able to perform such a transformation would be..."

Sonya's voice faded. The throne room was invaded by an absolutely silence, holding prophecies of bad things, sinester things.

"Um… princess Bezukhov?" Andrei called out uncertainly, his words hanging in the air.

Sonya stood up from her chair with start, shaking her head as if she had recently woken up from a trance. "Oh dear! I'm terribly sorry if I spaced out there. Anyway, as I was saying, the only person capable of turning a lock into ice would be the Snow Queen, and as I'm sure you both know, she does not exist."

"Try telling that to him!" Ivan chuckled, signaling his grandson. "He's been trying to prove her existence since he was a boy."

Sonya raised an eyebrow. "Is that so?"

Andrei looked down at his boots, his cheeks turning red.

The princess giggled at the boy's reaction. Oh dear! I would turn down a hundred princes just to get one night alone with this cutie pie!

Realizing how immature she looked, Sonya corrected her posture once again and said in an impotent tone: "What did these 'someones' take?"

Andrei looked up at the princess with a grave expression. "I think it would be best if you see for yourself."

The two gentlemen shared a look and then began to walk away.

Sonya soon followed, her short golden heels clicking against the marbled floor.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 439
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:48 pm
MrsJennings wrote a review...



Hi Erika!
I reviewed your first chapter yesterday and I must say that I was intrigued to know what followed.
This second chapter was so much better than the first!
I would have written a little more, though. You left me wanting more.
I liked how the characters are developing and the fact that Sonia, our "heroine" is obviously not perfect. Its nice to present flaws in our characters.
Also, maybe you could find different adjectives and not use the same ones as the previous chapter.
Continue writing!
You've caught my attention!
Kindly
Mrs Jennings




ErikaHale says...


Dearest Mrs Jennings,

Thank you so much for your review! I'm glad that you are rooting for Sonya, since she is in fact the hero of this story. I'm sorry I left you hanging. Chapter 3 has already been posted, if you would like to continue reading this story.
Anyway, thank you so much for your review and I hope you find the following chapter even more intriguing.

XOXO,

Erika Hale



User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 2

Donate
Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:28 am
TylerH wrote a review...



Hey again, Erika!

So I'm here again to put in my two cents. Hope they're helpful!

So, it was an interesting transition into a different POV. You did it very smoothly too, I might add. It wasn't distracting at all.

And I enjoyed the banter between Andrei and Ivan. Brought a lot to the characters and sucked me more into the story.

"Andrei!" cried Ivan, his eyes starting to burn with rage. "We did not travel this far just so you could marvel at the way someone painted the ceilings of the royal castle! We came here with only one purpose, and that is to report the reason why you have to permanently cover Ranger's rear with that blanket! Now stand up straight, keep your mouth shut and nod along, alright?"

I thought it was great how angry Ivan was here. Obviously, their reason is pretty serious. I did have two pieces of advice, however. I felt like it was good until the point where he said what the reason was. I understand your point but I felt like it was a little too expositional. Both characters would already know their purpose so it felt like this line was strictly here to let the reader know and therefore, felt slightly out of place.
Also, I would avoid the use of the word, "rear". Rump feels more natural for a horse, I think. But that's a nit pick.

I love the use of the butler here. Although, I must say, I'm still not quite sure what era this is. It seems like a mixture of medieval and Victorian just from the few details I've gotten.

"Said butler then stood beside the staircase, cleared his throat and announced: "All bow to Princess Sonya of Russia!"

So, here I would avoid him telling them to bow. It feels like the pontiff calling for all to rise when the judge enters but with royalty, I feel like all those present in the room would know to bow when a princess enters. I think he would just announce her arrival. Also, who is in this room? And why? It seems like these two men just arrived and everyone is prepared for some trial or something.

"Andrei's heart literally skipped a beat when he saw the princess descend from the wooden stairwell that led to her vast living room. Her misty grey eyes to him were like two perfect spheres which contained a thousand ancient storms. Her soft, pale skin reminded him of the most delicate of iceberg roses. Her blond hair, which was arranged in a flawless bun and adorned with shiny white pearls, only added to her immaculate beauty.

Andrei would never forget the dress that she was wearing that cold spring morning. It had short, puffy sleeves and a long red velvet skirt that gently brushed the carpet at her feet. And right in between her bosoms, a perfectly immaculate white corsage.

But the most impressive thing about her image wasn't her soft complexion, or her luxurious dress. It was the small golden crown that sat on top of her blond head, reflecting the light irradiating from the lamps."

OK, lovely description. Love the visual and the sight of the character. Watch your use of the word "immaculate". It's quite an underused word and therefore very easy to spot and you used it twice very close together.

"Good evening, gentlemen." She greeted them, her voice still childlike and feminine. "I am princess Sonya Bezukhov. It is a pleasure to meet you. I hear you have traveled far to see me."

Ok... I'm still quite confused about how old this princess is. Why would Andrei be so taken with her if she's so childlike?


"The pleasure is all ours, princess." Ivan said with a smile right before gently kissing her gloved hand.

"Please, follow me to the throne room."

So, this is purely based off knowledge of Game of Thrones but would the two men not have been escorted to the throne room and not allowed to greet the princess beforehand? And are there guards present? She doesn't know these men.

The two gentlemen did as they were told.

Andrei watched closely as Sonya sat on a dark mahogany chair which seemed miniscule compared to her father's impotent throne.

Umm the throne was what?

Sonya stood up from her chair with start, shaking her head as if she had recently woken up from a trance. "Oh dear! I'm terribly sorry if I spaced out there. Anyway, as I was saying, the only person capable of turning a lock into ice would be the Snow Queen, and as I'm sure you both know, she does not exist."

I would avoid the use of modern phrases as well. "Spaced out" doesn't seem like something used by ancient royalty.

Interesting cliffhanger! I enjoyed it overall. Keep up the good work.




User avatar
524 Reviews


Points: 7146
Reviews: 524

Donate
Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:43 pm
View Likes
felistia wrote a review...



Hi, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

Overall thoughts

Chapter plot: Wow so the story plot just sky rocketed. You've just introduced a supposedly mythical Snow Queen as the antagonist. I can't wait to see how that turns out. I wonder what she needed from these farmers? You also left it with a great cliff hanger and I was really upset when you left me hanging. Another interesting thing that you put in this chapter was the information about this story being told in Russia. Interesting. :D

Characters: Okay so an interesting thing that I noticed at the start was that you'd changed from Sonya's point of view to Andrei's point of view. Some how you managed to pull it off in a really natural manner so that I hardly noticed. Normally I abstain for these sort of things, but you pulled it off really well.

It was nice how you put in little character traits for each of the characters through out the chapter, so that they seem more and more like different, individual characters rather than cardboard cut outs. Andrei seems like a nice lad with a bit of an eye for artistic things. His grandfather seems more like the normal mold of a man in that era and is on the grumpy side. Sonya is a bit more immature than I first thought in the first chapter and I'm starting to wonder how old she is. I guess I'll find that out in the later chapters. :D

Description: Your description in this chapter was great and you had some really beautiful lines like this one

Her misty grey eyes to him were like two perfect spheres which contained a thousand ancient storms.
and this one
Her soft, pale skin reminded him of the most delicate of iceberg roses.
This where wonderful to read and I can't wait to see more of your excellent ideas for description. The iceberg roses was my personal favourite. :D

Overall this was a great chapter and I look forward to the next one. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D

This review courtesy of Image




ErikaHale says...


Dearest felistia,

Thank you so much for your review! I'm pleased that you like where the story is headed and that you find the characters interesting.
As to Sonya's age, I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't really given it much thought. I was thinking she would be about thirteen going on fourteen, but now I'm not sure. I'll figure it out soon.
Anyway, thank you so much for your wonderful review! Chapter three will be posted later today, so if you could also comment on it, I would really appreciate it.

XOXO,

Erika Hale



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:53 am
EternalRain wrote a review...



Hello!

I love the relationship so far with Sonya and Andrei. I can't wait to see how it's going to develop soon in later chapters, and if they'll be working together more.

And yes! A cliffhanger this chapter. Though the chapter was a bit short, I loved the cliffhanger at the end, and I'm very excited to see what these people took. The plot is definitely escalating - I'm guessing they're going to have to bond together and fight the Snow Queen? Or something like that. I can tell this is going to be a good story!

I like how this story takes place in Russia, too, (I suppose I didn't realize that in the previous chapter) it makes it a bit more unique and different than other stories.

So, I'm a bit confused. Is Andrei (lovely name, by the way) the boy Sonya saw from her castle - the one with red hair? If he is, I think it would be nice to clear it up a bit. Just a general description would do - Andrei running his hands through his hair (same color as chapter one) or other sneaky clues to hint that he's the same person. Of course, there's already the fact that they were the people that wanted to see her, but it still seems a little cloudy to me.

Great second chapter, and I'm definitely interesting! Do you think you could tag me once you get the next chapter up? (: I'd love to read/review it!

~ EternalRain ^-^




ErikaHale says...


Hello again, EternalRain!

Thank you so much for keeping up with the story, and I'm glad that you like where it is going! I was afraid that it wasn't clear that Ivan and Andrei were the two peasants perched outside the palace gates, so I'll make sure to add some of those 'sneaky clues' like you suggested :)
Anyway, thank you again for your review, and I will try to tag you when I post the next chapter (as I still haven't exactly figured how to do that.)

XOXO,

Erika Hale



EternalRain says...


Awesome, and you're very welcome! Can't wait for more!



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:25 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here to leave a quick review.

I generally avoid novel chapters unless the novels have interesting titles, and this one does. I would check a novel chapter to see if it interests me, and if it is considerably good in terms of grammars and punctuation, as well as having moderate exposition, I would read it to the end. This one also meets the requirements. Now, a novel chapter I would review is one that I think can be reviewed; as such, it has to have points at which I would mention.

I like it how the chapter starts with two characters having an exchange. Ivan and Andrei are different characters that give us a nice juxtaposition in their personalities; Ivan with his no-nonsense, conservative view collides with Andrei energetic, vibrant demeanour. There are tiny bits there that are interesting; the comparison of the size of their farm with the palace's room as well as the remark about males appreciating arts (which is kind of ironic, since the painters I know so far are mostly consists of males). All of these set up the tone of the novel.

You describe the princess and her clothing well, and now these things affect Andrei. It makes for an interesting reaction, and gives a message of the authority and the air of superiority the princess emits. The exchange between her and the farmers is interesting, and I suspect she does know about the Snow Queen, and doesn't really think she doesn't exist. I like how she reacts to Andrei's red cheeks, and I think there would be something sparking between them as the story goes on, given her thought:

Oh dear! I would turn down a hundred princes just to get one night alone with this cutie pie!


Interesting direction they're heading at.

Overall, this chapter is pretty solid, but is short. I think a bit of more expansion is required here, and I think this should be made part one of the second chapter, as the scene of them going to the location of what's being stolen can be composed into this chapter as well, blending them to scenes that focus on one thing: the meeting of the princess and the farmers and situation at hand. I also wonder the PoV you're using; if it's third limited, then you should choose a character of whom you would use view point. I see Ivan, Adrien, and Sonya's PoVs blended together, and it's confusing that way.

Good job, keep it up! :D




ErikaHale says...


Dear Lightsong,

First of all, lovely avatar! (I'm a huge fan of Dreamwork's 'The Guardians,' especially Sandy.) Secondly, thank you so much for your wonderful review! I've never had one that was so thorough and detailed.
I'm sorry if the length of the chapter was insufficient. I simply needed a cliff hanger. And of course I'll get the POV sorted out.
Anyway, thank you so much for your helpful insights!

XOXO,

Erika Hale




Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket