12+

Never Be Alone Chapter 1 (LGBT)

by EllaWrites14

Ash

"Ashley?" Sam stepped inside of my room. I quickly shoved my notepad under my duvet and spun to face him.

"Yeeeeessss, my dear brother?" I leant towards him, raising an eyebrow.

"Have you stolen my binder?" he asked, huffing impatiently.

"The clothing or the book?" I replied, glancing around my room. It was a mess. Clothes strewn everywhere, schoolwork and textbooks heaped high.

"The clothing, idiot." he rummaged slightly through some clothes.

"Nope. Tracy might have borrowed it. She mistakes it for one of her sports bras sometimes." I laughed bitterly at that, thinking about how ignorant my step-sister is. She always dead-named and misgendered Sam and constantly barged into my room looking for any evidence that I was gay so she could tell my boyfriend and my year and ruin everything.

"I'll grab it when she leaves." Sam said. He was terrified of her. He had the right to be. She was bitter and angry towards him like nobody had ever been. He wasn't used to being treated like he was a freak.

Sam stood awkwardly by the door, until he came up with something to talk about.

"Got any crushes?" Sam asked. I leant back against the wall and thought about it. The last time I'd really liked someone was years ago. At my old school. But that was a long time ago. I was older now. Smarter. Harder to impress.

"Nope. But there's a party this weekend so maybe I'll find someone there. And I have my first drama lesson tomorrow so maybe I'll find a hot drama nerd." Me and Sam chuckled at this comment.

"Well I'll clear off. I've got a hot date in four hours and I need to get ready." Sam winked and stepped out of my room, heading towards his.

I laid back on the bed. My boyfriend was good enough. For now.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:03 pm
PrincessMia wrote a review...

This story seems like it's going to be amazing! I feel the urge to read the entire thing. I am very curious about Sam and Ashley's relationship, it seemed like they were a little close for comfort of brother and sister. However, I love that you are writing about an LGBTQIAP+ topic and am excited to read more as it comes!

EllaWrites14 says...

Thanks a bunch!

CyranNum says...

That sentence sentence made me very interested.

EllaWrites14 says...

What?

SaveDodosNopeTooLate wrote a review...

Hi Ella!

First of all, though this really is too short to be a chapter, it already makes me want to know what happens next, which is one of the most important factors in a novel. Is it a page turner? Is it suspenseful? You always should ask yourself these questions when you read your own work. In this case, I think you have a lot of promise, and I really hope you can deliver in the next few chapters.

I'm definitely intrigued by Sam and Ashley's relationship, because they seem to like each other a lot, and yet don't have much to talk about. I feel like if I was writing this I would develop their relationship in the coming chapters, and also how that affects the way they deal with Tracy, who, as others have said, hopefully won't turn out to be a complete jerk.

Another thing I have to add is that I really, really hope this won't turn into a typical 'coming out despite there being homophobic characters around' kind of story, because let's face it, there are already too many of those out there. But as I said, this seems promising.

Regarding the writing style, I think that you have a good, natural way with dialogue, but I did notice one thing, simply because it's one of my weaknesses too: the text in between the dialogue. The transition from someone speaking to Ashley describing something to the readers doesn't seem as natural as it could be. I'm not sure how to do that though, because I'm still figuring it out myself.

I know this review is a bit all over the place, but it's my first one on here, so I hope you can excuse that. :)

Overall, great little blurb, that seems promising and has definitely made me want to read more. :)

Sadie

EllaWrites14 says...

Thanks for making me your first review!

I know it's short but it's just a first draft and I'm using all of these reviews to help me develop my chapter.

I am not the best, at description and flow, as you said. I am trying to get better.

No worries. I'll be back for your next chapter. :)

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 am

Marms said it all. It's a bit too short to be a chapter, but it isn't bad.

Make sure you don't make the characters' sexuality or whatever their primary trait. There's way more to a human being than whichever group they think they belong to.

Also, careful about, perhaps, accidentally making Tracy completely evil, reprehensible and antagonistic, because again, there's more to a human being than their political beliefs. Sure, there are truly evil people out there with no redeeming traits, but that's quite rare, I think. You probably plan to do that in the future, but right now, she did seem to be going in that direction.

EllaWrites14 says...

Thank you very much for your advice! I am doing a first draft of my book so the chapters will be longer and all advice will be taken with gratefulness. I am planning on developing Tracy and Sam as side characters so they will be more than their beliefs and sexualities from your advice to.

Good to know!

It is easy to accidentally define characters by one or two traits. You see it happen in many literary works. Hell, it probably happens in my own quite often.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 am
midnightdreary wrote a review...

Hi! I'm glad you're writing a story with queer characters! We always need more of those. So what I liked was that you discuss certain issues in the queer community (like dead names, outing etc.) right off the bat. That being said, let's get into the review!

So my first thing is about Tracy. She seems like she's terrible to Ash and Sam. You told us that. But, it'd be more impactful if you showed us. Instead of saying "Tracy dead-named Sam" you could have a scene where Tracy actually calls Sam by his dead name, and then Sam and Ash get upset with her, or expresses his sadness to Ash later.
Another thing about Tracy is that she's just... evil. No one is purely evil, and Tracy is no exception. She needs to have some redeeming qualities to be realistic character. Also, try making her dynamic in the story, rather than just making her stay ignorant the entire time. (Don't know what you're planning but I think that'd add to the story).
Also the "evil stepsister" trope is pretty overused, so maybe change Tracy's relation to Ash and Sam.

So the next thing I have to say is Ash and her boyfriend. From what I understand is that you're trying to imply that she doesn't like him very much. Either than or she likes him, but she's planning on cheating? Either way, I feel like this isn't showing a very healthy relationship. If you want to show an unhealthy relationship, that's fine, but that's not the vibe I'm getting from this story. I think you should have Ash break up with her boyfriend, and have her state her feelings honestly. Although, the whole part about her boyfriend is pretty confusing and I don't really get what their relationship is about.

So that's all. I hope this review was helpful!

EllaWrites14 says...

Thank you for the advice! It will be taken in its entirety.

I will be developing Tracy as an interesting side character with a potential plot path using yours and Schweinehund's advice.

Ash's relationship with her boyfriend is what I plan to be a plot point later on in the story. I won't spoil it (in case you review the other parts I plan to post in the future, as I like reviewers to have fresh minds and be able to feel what a true reader may feel) but it will be quite interesting.

Okay! I'm excited to see what you write!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 am
Charm wrote a review...

Hey Ella (is it okay if I call you that?)! I'm super hyped to review your first novel ever! That's so exciting and I really hope I can help you in some way with your work. I really encourage you to keep writing and aiming for your goal whether that's getting published or just writing for your own benefit. If you find anything in my review to be too harsh I hope you'll forgive me. I can be a little blunt, bold, and honest with my words at times but my intentions are good.

So far, this novel looks good. I think your dialogue sounds realistic. I think you can improve on your descriptions a bit maybe adding to what Ashley's bedroom looks like or what her facial expressions are (this goes for Sam too). In writing it's good to place hints to what the characters look like. For example, "Ashley ran her hand through her mousy brown hair," but I don't know if Ashley brown hair or not. I definitely think this chapter needs to be fattened up a bit, but if you're an underwriter like me you might just want to get the story out and then fatten up the draft when you're going through it.

She always dead-named and misgendered Sam and constantly barged into my room looking for any evidence that I was gay so she could tell my boyfriend and my year and ruin everything.
This quote could use a little work. It's a run-on sentence and while I tried to fix it, I was having some trouble.

She always dead-named and misgendered Sam, and was constantly barged into my room, looking for any evidence that I was gay, so she could tell my boyfriend, my year, and ruin everything. Italics in writing really help with expressing certain words and phrases. You can even use them when you want to write the character's internal dialogue (thoughts). I use it a lot in my novel because it's always good to have an inside to the character especially when you're writing, though I don't think you need to that since this story is written in first-person. Pretty much the entire narrative is Ashley's internal thoughts, haha.

He was terrified of her. He had the right to be.
I'd add these two sentences together so they flow better.

He was terrified of her and he had the right to be. The sentence after that is a really good place to bring in some more information about Tracy. Why is she ignorant? What does she look like? You can really play into Ashley's disgust/distrust with her step-mother here in the kind of vocabulary you use. Paint her an image that makes us feel for Ashley and Sam. Right now Tracy just seems 2D. Also try to make Sam and Ashley more in depth characters. I know it's only the first chapter but the description of her bedroom can really show her personality without you plainly saying it. Also it's great that you're characters are part of the LGBT+ community, but that can't be their quirky, unique feature because it's 2017 and being part of the LGBT+ community just isn't original, unique, and eccentric (while they're aren't many LGBT+ novels the character should be as realistic as you can make them, pretty much we need more details: specific details that a real person had about themselves). It's a sexuality: it's normal and average, and that's what's amazing about 2017. That most people are totally fine with people's sexualities (I said most because obviously there are still some close-minded people and I think Tracy might be one of those people from what I know of her so far). While it's awesome that you're characters are part of the LGBT+ community (I know for a fact that publishers are looking for LGBT+ novels since people want to read about real people with real issues) I think you should really try to find quirks for them so they seem more real and by quirks I mean like habits or something. People want to read about unusual, different, yet realistic characters. So far you seem to be on the right path.

But there's a party this weekend so maybe I'll find someone there. And I have my first drama lesson tomorrow so maybe I'll find a hot drama nerd.

But there's a party this weekend, so maybe I'll find someone there. And I have my first drama lesson tomorrow so maybe I'll find a hot, drama nerd.

The last time I'd really liked someone was years ago. At my old school. But that was a long time ago. I was older now. Smarter. Harder to impress.
This quote is a little choppy. I really recommend using commas instead of periods because it has the same effect and it doesn't read awkwardly.

The last time I'd really liked someone was years ago. At my old school. But that was a long time ago. I was older now, smarter, harder to impress.

Also, I recommend talking more about Ashley's boyfriend in the next chapter. You can even start the chapter like: "I met (boyfriend's first name) in the first few weeks of attending my new school..." and then go on telling the story about him and Ashley relationship. We need to know what their relationship is like. Or maybe don't do that and just add that into this chapter to fatten it up. Whatever seems best it's your novel and you hold the outline (or not I don't know if you outlined, haha).

If you're interested in me reviewing more chapters of your novel just PM me or head over to my thread ( i will most definitely review for some food ). I really hope I helped you in some way and if you disagree with something I said in some way that's totally fine. This is just my advice and you can take what you want from it.

marms

EllaWrites14 says...

Thank you for the advice! It will be taken in its entirety. And you can call me Ella haha.

First of all, before I go on to address your amazing in-depth review, I must preface my reply by saying that this is a first draft so all advice will be taken under careful consideration. The chapter is short because it is my basic first draft.

As I said, this is a short, basic draft so description and detail are lacking (although I will be using your description advice when I am second and third drafting). It is also lacking description because it is my Achilles' heel, but back to the review.

Thank you for the advice on the sentence. I knew it was weak but didn't know what it was until you pointed it out so thanks. I will use your idea of playing around with italics when I rework the book.

I'm planning on creating more 3D characters out of Tracy and Sam throughout the book but will most probably add more description and analysis of them in this chapter when I rework and fatten it up. Tracy will be more than an asshole and Sam will be more than transgender as the book gets longer but I will use your advice to help fully make them into interesting, unique individuals.

I'll add in the commas.

The next chapter is from the other protagonist's perspective so I will most likely bring Ash's boyfriend in later on (in a few chapters) and in this chapter. I plan on him and their relationship being a major plot point so it will need to be developed and added to over the course of the book.

I will certainly come to you in the future for advice and reviews as I like your advice. I'll probably come to you for advice on my first draft of chapter 2. You can have all the food you'd like.

(P.S. this probably sounded like my defending and excusing my choices. Your advice is seriously appreciated.)

Charm says...

I'm glad I helped! c:

constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather