Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Terry Pratchet

by Elelel

Has anyone read any books by Terry Pratchet? He's written lots. I've read some. I thought they were funny and intertaining. What do other people think?

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:59 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...

I adore the Discworld series... Carrot *melts as well* How can you not love him? And Angua? And Detritus? And Nanny Ogg? And Death, I love Death...

Unfortunately, he announced a few weeks ago he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. How ever, (I can't find the article) he said to be optimistic, he had another two books planned already which will definitely be published, and hopefully many more, and the announcement should be read as a sign saying "I ETEN'T DEAD." :) Wishing him all the best.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Well ther is me and you. And err.... Yes i see you point. We shall rustle up some members.
Set angua on them if neccesary, lol :D

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:31 pm
Rydia says...

You just go to the user groups section. I suppose I could have a go at setting one up but we have to get a certain amount of people to agree to join...

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:10 pm

How do we start a Terry Pratchett usergroup. It would be cool. We could all discuss The oen an only Pratchett.

He is releasing a new book in october.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:41 am
Swires says...

Update: I read Interesting Times and have bought a lot of 18 off of ebay. I've read through 6 of them and now I'm a Pratchett fan. The earlier books are the funniest I think. I love the Granny Weatherwax discworlds the most.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:16 pm
Rydia says...

Yeah, he's brilliant! So who's going to start the usergroup for Terry Pratchett fans? I'll join =)

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:54 am
Shadowsun wrote a review...

I've read most of the Terry Pratchett books and have really enjoyed them. My favourites would be the ones with Sam Vimes in. He is my favourite character in the entire series.

~ Shadowsun :D

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:50 pm
Saphira says...

I don't like any of the Terry Pratchet books. I find them boring and Confusing. I got given loads of books by him before and just passed them on to a friend.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:38 pm
Rydia says...

Must agree, Terry Pratchett is brilliant! I love all the ones with the watch in, Sam is hilarious and the best hero ever. Must agree that Guards Guards is one of the best and Men at Arms isn't far behind. Simply superb!

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:41 pm
Jules the jester wrote a review...

Yeah someone should start s usuergroupd for terry Pratchett. I just love everyone of his books(that i have read).

Men At Arms and Guards Guards are my favourite. Well truly I love all the books with Sam Vimes in them. He is one of the best characters ever.

Carrot and Angua.. When they gonna have kids? Half Dwarf(by adoption) and Half Werewolf. Brilliant.

I got Wintersmith signed by Terry pratchett and he visited my school once and i had to take him to lunch as i was the only student who had really read alot of his books. He is so weird!!

Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:21 am
deleted6 wrote a review...

If you can't read them try understanding when watching them. Wyrde Sisters and Soul Music. My Dad taped them ages ago. Anyway i've read The Amazing Maurice and his EdUcated Rodents, a graphic novel of Gaurds Gaurds and Feet of Clay also read most of Men at Arms and Mort.

How can you not like him his idea of Pork Futures. Pork that is yet to exist but they have warehouses heh. Oh and you gotta love Death someone gotta to start a usergroup for Terry Prachett.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:32 am
Sohini says...

Yay! Big Sis likes Pratchett too!!

don't love Detritus the troll and Carrot?? i love those two.

Detritus is charmingly stupid, stupidly charming and he's amde of rock, what else can you want? and Carrot...*melts*...he's simply great.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:16 pm
gyrfalcon wrote a review...

Totally with you, Sohini. Terry Pratchett rocks!!! But I'm not qute as...defensive of him as certain other authors here. He's a great writer, and if people don't agree with that, well then, they're the ones missing out on some great material. He's a big boy, he can take care of himself.
The first book I read in the Discworld was Going Postal. Actually, my family and I listened to it on one of our absurdly-long car trips. At the time, we didn't really know what we were in for. It started off...normally enough, and then, out of nowhere: Mr. Pump! And yeah, the rest is history. I really love his stuff, though I don't read the Witches books or most of the earlier ones with Rincewind (though I do love the luggage). My favorites of his are the Watch books (most notably Night Watch and The Fifth Elephant) and the Death books (Soul Music and Hogfather are fantastic!).
So, yeah, there you have it.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:49 am
Sohini says...

I just read "Men at Arms" (thanks to Jojo)
i think it was awesomely amusing-what a grand writing style. i love Pratchett's humour and i want to read more

Binky wrote a review...

Amusingly enough, Going Postal is likely my favourite of his books, although I like all the little quirky "one-shotters" he does, I'm unsure whether I only take to those books because I've long been indoctrinated into the Discworld er... World, and therefore enjoy the weirdness and change of perspectives, yet still being within the world.

Thief of Time as well, another great book with characters created solely for it, yet within the Discworld continuum.

EDIT: Ah yers, Binky comes from Discworld, Binky being Death's horse.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:07 am
Elelel says...

Has anyone read Monstrous Regiment or Night Watch? They're my favourites, I think. If you don't count the Bromeliad Triliogy. When I first read them they were the best things I had ever read.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:50 am
Swires says...

Im with Firestarter, I just could not get into Going Postal from discworld books ar all. And they arnt that funny

Sureal wrote a review...

Jojo wrote:I feel he's a grossly underrated author because no one except my brother knows about Terry Pratchett in my family.

Underated :?? All of his latest books have reached number one bestseller, and his is the number two bestselling Brit (just behind Rowling, although he still holds of being the most shoplifted author ;)). He has also been appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to literature ("I suspect the 'services to literature' consisted of refraining from trying to write any.").

Habbisham wrote a review...

I love Terry Pratchett, I think his Discworld novels are well written and very humourous. They can get confusing if you've only just started reading them because even though they dont have a chronical order they can follow on from one another and overlap the characters and sometimes that takes some time to get into.

I think Truckers, Diggers and Wings are amazing books. Def my favourite from Pratchett.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:04 pm
Myth says...

I really like some of them and have brought most of the Discworld series.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:59 pm
Jojo says...

Indeed, the drawings on the cover are very misleadingly horrid and not at all funny.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:57 pm
Myth says...

We all know who he is in my family, my parents don't like him because his Discworld books have 'disgusting drawings'.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:20 pm
Jojo wrote a review...

I just read the first 12 pages of 'Men At Arms' of the Discworld Series and felt that he is one of the most capable humorous authors of all time. I feel he's a grossly underrated author because no one except my brother knows about Terry Pratchett in my family.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 am
zelithon says...

The book Thud! just came out! I am soooooo reading it and getting it for christmas.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:16 am
zelithon says...

The Johny maxwell series. How is that? What other ones are not on discworld. oh and the wee free men does not downright say it, but it is on discworld. Overlaping characters.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:53 pm
Rincewind says...

which series to do you speak of?
there are only:
The Bromeliad <--Truckers, Diggers, Wings
The Johnny MAxwell Series
and the Wee Free Men books (2).

Other wise its just Discworld and one or two books which are similar but not set on discworld.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 pm
zelithon says...

Has anyone read his other series? Besides truckers ect. and discworld?

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:52 pm
Rincewind says...

The colour of magic is the first discworld book it was from the early eighties i believe.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:29 am
zelithon says...

I thought the color of magic was a older book?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:35 pm
Nis says...

I love the world of Terry Pratchett, I have read most of the Discworld series and am looking out for the older ones which I haven't read yet.

My favourites are Sourcery and Colour of Magic.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:56 am
zelithon says...

I think to some people (not me) it may be that he says some stuff people think but do not say, may mess with them.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:00 pm
Caligula's Launderette wrote a review...

I love you Jack...

Bernard Cornwall is my hero.

But on Pratchett...I have Lord and Ladies and Soul Magic and Color of Magic, I thought most of them wer humerous, but he can be very, very, very confusing...I think it might be his mission in life.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:44 pm
Nefer says...

I first got interested in Discworld after reading Sourcery, it was confusing at first but I got into it quickly, after that I borrowed more Discworld books.

I've never read the Wee Free Men, I might check it out.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:32 pm
Nox says...

I also bought 'A Hat full of Sky' and haven't had time to read it yet.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:24 am
zelithon says...

I have read most of the childrens books and like the adult ones better.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:55 pm
Rincewind says...

I've read the Wee Free Men, and I bought A Hat Full of Sky which is the sequel. Haven't read it yet though. I'm also reading the second book of the nomes "Diggers", its fantastic.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:17 pm
Nox says...

I love Terry Pratchett books and recently read 'The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents', 'The Wee Free Men' and the Nome trilogy.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:24 am
Rincewind says...

Oh so witty.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:57 am
zelithon says...

Then you should totally read something by him! he is witty. oh so witty.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:45 am
Snoink says...

...Never heard of him...

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:32 am
zelithon says...

yes sort of, I feel protective of my favorite books like a mother wolf feels protective of her pups.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:23 am
Rincewind says...

By protective do you mean defensive?

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:19 am
zelithon says...

Great! You share my opinions only I am more protective.
Plus I was so outraged I got a bit confuseing.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:13 am
Rincewind wrote a review...

Ive read tons of Terry Pratchett. Rediculous amounts really. Saying that he is trying to hard to be humerous is a seriously lame thing to say, and I think it shuld be taken back. You don't publish 30+ novels and win Caregie Medals for writing "nonsense".
Just because you can't make sense of it doesn't mean its the author's fault.
Pratchetts originality, and ability to write any kind of story makes him pretty much the best author around. He also had a dry wit and an extremely knowledgable hisotry with the english language.
I've also read Good Omens and its nearly the best book I've read (it's second to Douglas Adams' Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy).

If you don't specifically like The Disocwrodl books because they are so confusing, or there too many central characters, first of all heres a tissue, secondly try somethign he wrote for younger readers. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, as stated above is hilarious. It about a clever cat and some clever rats who find this stupid kid who plays a flute to come around with them and rob cities by creating a plague of rats and takign care of it. Also look at The Wee Free Men, and its sequel A Hat full of Sky. Oh, and the Nomes Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:29 pm
Nefer wrote a review...

I've read some of his books, I really love the 'Discworld' series. I did find some of his books confusing but I'd rather read Terry Pratchett books than J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter. I'm not a fan and couldn't care about what other people say.

Sorry if you're a Potter fan.

EDIT: I also want to say the Lord of the Rings is just not my thing.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:39 pm
zelithon wrote a review...

Anyone who doesn't like or understand his books is either stupid or crazy or it might just be above your reading lvl! no offense but most of you must be i feel really bad saying that but i am protective. I understood everything i have read many of his books. HE IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i read ALOT! He is a genius you could not churn out one of his books in a week, especially if you do not understand it! He is brilliant! Has any of you morons (joke) (known offense meant!) read the hitchhikers guild? they are not by him an they are really good too. If you do not like or understand his books now it probably is not cause you are stupid but because it is above your reading level or you don't have a sense of humor. Try again in a few years when you are better at reading and or have lightened up a bit.
it is so much better than lord of the rings and potter.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:34 am
Elelel says...

I saw more than nonsense in the ones I read. Maybe you weren't looking hard enough.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:47 pm
norris_redford wrote a review...

I read the first and thought it was fairly amusing.

Then I read the second, and just got tired of it.

I hate to say this, but I think any of us here could write one of those books in a week. They are just nonsense.

But his collaboration with Neil Gaiman, entitled Good Omens, was very enjoyable.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:11 pm
Firestarter says...

Is 'Maurice and his amazing rats' the one about the cat, making fun of the pied piper type thing?

I think I read that. That was good, actually. Forgot about it. I forget a lot of books I read.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:13 am
Elelel says...

The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents, I've got that one!

Firestsrter: I haven't read The Theif of Time, so I can't comment on that one, but if the books that you read seemed complicated, he has others that aren't. The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents is good, to use an example already mentioned.

WinterGrimm: Like I said, personally, I don't think The Colour Of Magic was his best book, I didn't really get the end much, but the rest is easy enough to understand once you've read a few of the books. Many of the themes carry through, like the heros.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:16 pm
iced.cappuchino says...

I love Terry Pratchett^^

I read a couple of books from his 'Discworld' series, 'Good Omens' (Nail Gaiman + Terry Pratchett = one amazing book) and 'Maurice and his Amazing Rats'.

I love his books.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:10 pm
Firestarter says...

Lol, No. I tried to read Thief of Time recently and it had four different viewpoints in quick succesion, so I had no idea who was who and I threw the book on the floor. And read somebody better:

Bernard Cornwell.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:06 pm
WinterGrimm says...

And here I thought I didn't understand Color of Magic because I was a dumb American.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:29 pm
Firestarter says...

I don't like him. I don't see what's so special about him.

I've read several of his books, and I don't find them funny. I usually find them confusing, stupidly complicated, and trying too hard to be humourous. And it failed, for me.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:37 am
Elelel says...

There are better books by him than the colour of magic... one I just got was the Monstorous Regiment. Very very very very funny!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:57 am
WinterGrimm says...

I read Color of Magic and was amused. Unfortunatly I have a couple of friends who will not SHUT UP about Terry Pratchet and as a result I'm totally burnt out on him.

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore