I'm a Writer, Sir.

by Dustbunny14

“What are you supposed to be kid?”

“I’m a writer sir.”

“Right, course you are… You an every other wannabe out there. Heh, there ain’t no money it writin’ pal.”

“It’s not about the money. If I have to get a job, so that I can write, I will.”

“Why don’tcha go to college, get a real job, otherwise you’ll be workin at a truck stop for the rest of yah miserable days.”

“That’s fine sir. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to achieve my dream.”

“Ey, kid… You trying to talk to me… about dreams? About dreams? Kid, dreams are just that, dreams, they’re illusions, fakes whatevah you wanna call em, but they ain’t worth anything they don’t buy food, they don’t support a family...”

“Dreams are meant to be created, not dreamt. I have no intentions of falling asleep to live my dreams, I want to wake up and live them.”

“You sound like a poet, an yah know what? They don’t make money either. What you are tryin to pull ain’t realistic, it’s disappointing. You know how many people, try and chase all their little fantasies? A lot, an yah know how many of them actually make it?”

“Not many sir.”

“Dang straight pal… Dang straight…”

“That’s not stopping me though, I’ll be a writer, I have to be.”

“You don’t have to be nuthin kid, you just gotta be what you gotta be.”

“And for me that means I gotta be a writer.”

“No, what I’m saying is you need to think about what you’re about to do with yah life, you tryin to walk down this road, heck it’s not even a road, where you happen to be goin is a cliff, a straight up cliff and you gonna fall at crash into the rocks at the bottom.”

“Maybe so…”

“Do you not understand what I’m tryin to tell yah here? I’m sayin you are headed towards a dead end, a place where there is nowhere, they’s thousands of other people out there, trying, dreaming and trying to do the same thing you wanna do, and they live in their mom’s basement, they don’t achieve these dreams, you keep going down this path an you’ll have nothing...”

“If I have a pencil, and a piece of paper that’ll be just fine by me.”

“Heh, you got some guts, to keep sayin that to me… Hey, pal, how badly you wanna write?”

“More than I want to breathe… I make myself sick thinking about doing anything other than writing. It’s… It’s…”

“No, kid, tell me. How bad do yah wanna write? Because there is a universe of an abyss between what it really takes an what you are willing to give in order to do this…”

“I want to-“

“What are you willing to do!”

“Take my home!”

“How bad!?”

“Take it, take everything! It’s not about writing for money it’s about writing because I’m a writer! You take that away and I’m nothing! It’s not about what I’m willing to do! It’s about what I WILL do!”

“Heh…” The old homeless man wiped a tear rolling down his dust covered face. “Good answer kid. Good answer, I remember, standin where yah stand, wanting to be something, but it’s because I gave up… I gave up my dreams an look where I am…” The old man fell forward sobbing. The tears wetting the patch of cardboard he sat on. The kid took a step forward and knelt down in front of the old homeless man.

“I almost want it…” The kid said “I almost want the pain that I’ll go through to achieve my dream… I almost want it, right now… I’m eager, to fight for my dream…”

“You won’t be when the pain comes towards you… What if you end up like me…?”

“Then save me a seat next to you. Then again… What if I don’t?”

“I want you to save me a seat too.” The homeless man smiled “I don’t want you to give up kid… Those who persevere, they not only carry their own dreams, but those who have lost theirs…”

“No. Carry your own dream…”

“Kid I…”

“Stand up.”

“I…”

“Stand up!” At the kids rising words, the old man stood up with a groan. He looked down at the kid.

“This what yah wanted? Here I am! I’m standing!” He growled.

“Now start walking.”

“Fine…” The kid grabbed the old man by the arm and started walking him away from the sidewalk. “Where we walking to?” The old man asked.

“Doesn’t matter.” Said the kid “just keep walking.”

“Now what?”

“Speed up, start chasing it.” The kid pulled the old man along, first, he was walking, the kid dragging him along, faster and faster. “Come on! Chase it! Let’s go!”

“What are we chasing?!” The old man asked, he was tired, he hadn’t gone running in years his bones felt as though they were about to snap just by walking.

“You’re chasing your dream!” The kid called, and the old man realized that the kid was far behind him. The old man was running on his own, chasing his dream. 

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:13 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX wrote a review...

Wow. That was an amazing story about determination and the will to keep pursuing a dream that everyone is telling you to give up on. I like how the majority of the story is written in dialogue from a young boy who is still aspiring and an old man who has given up.

I especially like that the old man was making sure that the boy was absolutely sure that he was pursuing what he wanted. It started off feeling like it was the world telling a boy to forget about his dream and do what is expected or will actually get him money. The boy's determination to continue down the path.

In a world that is only measures success in the amount of money that you get. This story tells how even the young can inspire the old to continue to pursue the dreams that they had once thought were gone.

Thank you for sharing this story and I hope to continue to see more for you in the future.

Happy Writing!

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much!

Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:14 am
KimKologne says...

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP; AMEN, CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much!!!

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:38 am
chhlovebooks wrote a review...

This is magnificent! I love how you teach a moral through your story, but you coat it in lovely poetry,like the sweetest of candies! It leaves such a wonderful new view as an after taste and you savor every paragraph like a bite of delectable chocolate cake! Writing is my dream of sorts as well and you portray how I, and I bet, many other aspiring writers feel practically perfectly! How ever, I think it could be improved if you hinted earlier in the story that the man the boy is talking to is homeless. Over all, I am very fond of your story.

Dustbunny14 says...

... Now I want candy, and every type of dessert I can get my hands on! Thank you so much for reading! I didn't hint earlier that the kid was talking to a homeless man because I wanted it to be a surprise, like, you think the man at first is normal, and mean. However you come to find out that he too had dreams and the reason he's so against them is because he gave up and they didn't work out. So you find out this man has a reason for hating dreams. :)

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 am
basia77201 says...

That is such an inspiring story! I would love to see more of your work. I got a little confused though, what was the old man's dream?

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much! And I've had a lot of comments about the old mans dream, but I wanted it to be left open to anything, while the story focuses on a young boys dream to write the old man, could be anybody with any dream! If that makes sense :)

basia77201 says...

Totally. Ok, so I guess I have to use that young imagination of mine.... ;-)

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:23 pm
ty7lucky wrote a review...

Hi I'm new to YWS I liked your story a lot, it was inspiring. At first I thought he was trying to make her give up and stop following her dream. But she stayed true and perciviered she would give up so much just to write. I liked how she didn't care how much money she got she just had to write. Then when she stands up for herself I think that's brave. I liked how he told her that she shouldn't ever give up, and that reminds me of part of me that keeps me going and tells me "You can do whatever you want to do." I liked how she had him chase his dream. I would have enjoyed knowing his dream and if he did it. Thanks for listening, Ty7lucky.

Dustbunny14 says...

Thanks for reading! :D

Dustbunny14 says...

Thanks for reading! :D

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:03 pm
Pan says...

Got chills. Nicely done, my friend.

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much! Thanks for reading!

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:13 am
speakerskat says...

Never . Giving. Up. Until . My. Last. Word .

Dustbunny14 says...

Amen! Never quit my friend!

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:37 am
Edelweiss wrote a review...

Hey there Dustbunny, Edel here for a review. In many ways this reminds me of my situation. Of course it is not exact. I have been laughed at and mocked for my dream of one day becoming a famous author. Though it dose not bother me, I just think "Well you won't be laughing once you see my name on the cover of my book."
Anyway, this is a very inspiring short story, it almost makes me want to write my situation on paper too! My favorite parts were when the kid would't not give up his dream, despite the old mans advise, and in the end the old man was chasing after his dream. I did not see any mistakes that have not been stated. You did really good with the use of dialogue, the chapters seem so real and likable.
You did such a amazing job with this piece, it's one of my favorite shorts now! Thank you, and keep following you're dream!

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much:) I'd love to read about your situation.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:03 pm
EternalRain wrote a review...

*claps* Holy snickerdoodle cookies, that was amazing. It was so, so inspiring and I loved the ending. Honestly, it was just breathtaking. You take a simple idea that everyone talks about all the time and tries to write about all the time and you, YOU make it fabulous. I loved it and it really moved me.

I loved how there was hardly any description. Sure, a story needs description, but I thought this one was better without it -- it just made it feel more... alive?

There were a few tiny bit errors and I think that's the only thing that threw me off and dropped the work down a bit. But those can be easily fixed and aren't that big of a deal.

Anyways, I just loved how motivational this was and that special happy feeling in my chest when the kid helped the man. It was one of those wipe away a happy tear kind of feelings, you know?

So... I just loved this piece to shreds. It was purely amazing. ^-^ Please keep writing, I can't wait to check out your other works! Thank you so much for this, it was truly inspirational. :)

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much!!

EternalRain says...

You're welcome! ^-^

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:34 pm
HazelGrace16 wrote a review...

Wow....my only description is wow.

It has been a long time since I have read a piece of writing that has hit me as much as this one has. As a person who loves the arts I hear conversations like this a lot.

"Only pretty girls can become actresses."

"Only perfect writers can become famous."

"Only prodigies can learn instruments."

"Only flexible people can dance beautifully."

"Its one in a million. You don't have what it takes."

Most days I believe these negative comments, and they continuously weigh me down. The only way I can escape is through reading, writing, and singing. That always isn't enough though. My brain lies to me a lot.

But it is writing pieces like this that remind me that I should fight for my dreams. It is going to be hard, and its probably going to suck. In the end though something magical can come out of it.

Today you brought a smile to my face. A real one. Most days that real smile gets hidden and abused by society, but then I read and I feel this weight get lifted off my shoulders!

Thank you for inspiring me and probably many others. I hope that you never stop doing that.
We as writers write to create new worlds, save those who need it from reality, but most of all we write to inspire others to keep going. My dreams are there, and your writing has brought me one step closer to seeing them clearly. Thank you!

Never underestimate the impact you have on the lives of other people, and don't forget to be awesome!

Dustbunny14 says...

I think I'm gonna cry... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:25 pm
artybirdy wrote a review...

From the start to the middle, there were hardly any descriptions. You maintained the focus on their conversation. It was simple, and not influenced or emphasised with any actions from the characters, yet extremely meaningful. I think that’s what makes this story impactful and heart touching. I could understand the powerful, strong message you tried to get across. I think it’d be nice if you could mention the old man’s dream. It’s irrelevant to the story, but I’d be interested to know what he wanted to achieve in life. Except that, it’s perfect. I loved it! Well done, and keep writing!

Dustbunny14 says...

Thanks! Will do!

artybirdy says...

No problem! :)

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:07 pm
deleted21 says...

Good lord! I absolutely loved it! :D

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much!

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:42 pm
Snazzy wrote a review...

Yes. JUST YES. I love this - and the quote at the bottom (of my screen) -

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity."

That first part is something I learned from your story. ;) Anyway, onto the nitpicks! :D

You have a few typos (not including the homeless man's ;) ) in the beginning and middle of the story - but I won't waste your time talking about those. They are easily fixed. :D

The only thing I really saw wrong was the ending. It seems as if the beginning and ending don't match - I mean I know it's the same story, but the last part just seems out of place. I think you should end it like this-

"'You won't be when the pain comes toward you...'
'But what if I'm still willing to?'
'Gee kid. What if you end up like me?'
'Then save me a seat next to you.'
The old man shook his head and a tear escaped his eye. 'You know what kid, save me a seat next to you .'"

I don't know...but I really like the idea of ending on the 'save me a seat part'. I just REALLY LIKE THAT SENTENCE. :D (It's just a thought, you can keep it the same if you want to, you're the writer! :D )

Other than that, your story was really well written! Great job, and keep writing! :D :)
~Snazzy, Pencil, Penicillin, etc. :)
Have a nice day! :D

Dustbunny14 says...

Thank you so much! I might actually do that because I was honestly thinking of ending it there anyway, but as I wrote it I just didn't stop and that last part came out so thanks!!

Snazzy says...

Your welcome! I know what you mean though - sometimes I just keep going on and on because the words just keep flowing and going and flowing and going...XD (I think it's actually good though to have that, than to have writer's block! XD )

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett