z

Young Writers Society


18+ Violence

"No pain, No mercy, No guilt."

by SinfullyGorgeous


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence.

I stood among the warriors with my chin held high, civil blood staining the battle grounds of what use to be a corrupted city; but now a pile of shimmering ash that spreads across the brown, dead grass. The vision of myself striking each enemy with a silver tomahawk, ending their worthless lives with a single blow that shattered the thin skulls of deathly invaders, was most amusing. It became clear, I was a ruthless killer; a murderer who did not feel grief, pity, or mercy  for the ones that perished beneath my blood stained hands. The rising flames of the burning homes danced upward; making their way towards the smoke covered skies. The smell of burning wood slithered into my nose, causing a smile to stretch across my face. I removed my sword from the holster on my right hip, raising it high above my head; making the sunlight reflect off the stainless, silver weapon.

"VICTORY IS OURS!" I roared, pride sticking out from behind my womanly voice. My golden eyes sparkled with glory, finally the battle was won; with me taking the gold of the city and the lives of many. A roar of cheer sounded off behind me, ending the silence of the torn city, filling it with a massive cloud of sound. The sun's rays of bright light reflected off the visor of my helm, then bouncing off the helm of another who stood five feet away as I turned. I holstered my victorious sword, before removing my gleaming silver helm. The sandy, blonde hair fell out into ringlets upon my pauldron; reaching further down towards my breastplates. During the removal of my precious helm, everyone stood at attention. Shoulders back and feet apart was a way to show great respect to those who earned it.

"I will be home soon, I promise." The voice of my Father ringed within my head, sending me away from reality. "I will be back before you know it. No more crying now." His hand tilted up my tiny chin, his other hand drying the tears I shed. The rough touch was soothing, almost ending the thought of him leaving me alone with mother. I nuzzled my cheek into the massive palm of his hand, his thumb caressing my cheek. His hand then dropped from my face, and I whined "Don't take him! Please." I never saw him again after that. He was put down like a dog, an injection ended his life...All because he was accused of being a ruthless killer. I shook my head, opening my eyes to what laid infront of me now; reality.

"Today, we conquered a new land. A land that will serve as the infamous Capital of our new city." I began, tucking my helm beneath my arm. I then turned on the heels of my sabatons and paced down the rows of standing men. Some holding blood splattered helms, others looking like they have just seen a horrible ghostly figure; just by judging the way they stood. "Remove your helms soldiers." I ordered, and under instruction; the protected head gear was removed from all the heads that were held high. "Tell me our motto." And in unison, I was blown away by the strong, muscular voices.

"No pain, No mercy, and No guilt!" The men chanted, I was not intimidated by their performance.

"Again!" I shouted, making some fighters straighten their backs. I stopped after catching a soldier lack the posture of a fighter. With a swift turn, I caught his attention. A lump became visible in his throat as our gazes locked; ending every chance he had to fix his standing attention. "State your name." I sternly said, inspecting the fear coursing within those fearsome blue eyes.

"Charles Colvin." He replied, with a simple gesture of my hand; a blow landed against his face. The red blood upon my gauntlet painting his pale, white cheek. He straightened up then, and I didn't have a problem with him again. Some men stared, though the cold gaze I gave back made them face forward.

"As you were." I said, eyeing the minor changes in posture as shoulders slumped. I walked past the group of men, and traveled through the burning ruins of the eliminated city. Fires died out like fading candles. Blood began attracting maggots and larva to the brutal scene. Buzzards picked at the motionless bodies that laid sprawled upon the regretful grounds. It is a shame that many children died this way, but what must be done is done. While exploring through the ruins, my foot stomped upon what seemed to be a hand-made doll. A pair of purple buttons resembled the eyes, a red stitched smile symbolized happiness. A pink cloth covered the tan rag skin, and black hair from a horse's tail was entwined within the round head. My golden eyes feasted upon this childlike creation; making my heart sink in despair.

"No pain, No mercy, No guilt...No pain, No mercy, No guilt." My mind kept repeating, though my heart didn't react the way it should. I looked to my left, and then to my right finding no one near. With a swift tuck into my breastplate, the doll was safe from the harm of the dreadful fires. I placed my helm back on to conceal the sadness expressed upon my sharp, pale face. I then turned towards the men, and whistled. A white stallion rode on cue to my call, with a lift of my leg, I tucked my right foot into the foothold and tossed my left over the saddle. I grabbed the reins tightly, and rode off towards the place I called home. A proud mother awaits, and a medal of honor screams my name. I heard the marching of five hundred men behind me, fleeing from the depressing scene.

"What is our motto!?" I shouted out towards the men, hearing them sing our law. The law of the great soldiers.

"No pain, No mercy, and No guilt!" The chant boomed like a roar, the vicious roar of a true warrior who screams victory. Satisfied, we continued marching; our flag of red fluttering within the chilling wind. The crest of a heart pierced by three swords symbolizing the law of us soldiers. A drum beats, as it plays the warrior's fighting song. The road to home was far, though the rewards would soon make up for the journey.  

The pictures of the threatened faces of mothers broke into my mind, controlling my head as if it was a game; and the picture the one playing the game. The terrorized screams polluted my ears, contaminating them with a harmful poison that made them bleed. My head ached and throbbed, my mind flashing with visions.

"NO! PLEASE, HAVE MERCY!" A woman cried as I towered over her, a infant cradled within her bone like arms. A twisted grin controlled my face, as my eyes admired the bloodshed of these two pure souls. The tomahawk came down, bashing in the head of the pleading woman. Splattering blood on the tent walls. The infant cried, as I lifted the child into my arms. I rocked the child for a while, to sooth its unsettling cries. Then I placed my freezing hand upon his cheek, wringing it's neck until I heard a snap. I dropped the newborn to the ground, exiting the tent.

The vision stayed with me until this day, the anniversary of the depressing war. I now regret the things I have done during those past five years, killing innocent children and adults; all for meaningless power and honor. I was brainwashed during the time, and I would do anything to change the past; just to make a brighter future.  "No pain, No mercy, No guilt." was just the beginning of a worthless lie because in the end, all of those emotions drown you in darkness until the day you perish yourself. The true meaning of dread is the beating of my heart, the hum of my beating heart resembled the many screams of innocent people. I was  the suffering emotion of the innocent civilians. I am the nightmare they dreamed, the queen they feared. Being hated was like experiencing dishonor, it hurts like a stab to the chest. Courage was shattered, and loyalty was only an illusion. 

I cried tears for the people who have fallen under my hand, and a cut to represent the brutal tactics I used to kill them. Consumed by depression, and surviving with guilt; I took my baby step upon the ledge. My eyes stared down at the ground below me, seeing blood flood the grass in a sea of red. There I go seeing things again. I rubbed at my eyes, trying to come back to reality without anything extra in the mix. A bird came flying, crashing right into me. I tried regaining the balance I lost, but instead I came falling down. The wind made my ears pop, as I stared up at the building's ledge; slowly reaching my hand out as it began moving further away. Everything went black as soon as my body touched the ground, ending my shattered life.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
382 Reviews


Points: 15691
Reviews: 382

Donate
Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:29 am
View Likes
Dreamy wrote a review...



Hello there!

Dreamy here to review. Before I get in-depth with your work, let me point out some typos and errors that kept bugging me, alright? Let go.

what used to be


his other drying the tears I shed.


I know that by saying "his other" you mean his hand but I don't see any harm in just plainly saying "his other hand." The latter flows well, also when I read the sentence it made me say, "his other what?" *hehe*

an injection ended his life


ppening my eyes to what laid infront of me now; realiy


"opening" and the word after the semi colon, did you mean "reality?" Typos tho. xP

[/quote]"Tell me our motto." And in unison, I was blown away.[/quote]

I don't understand the sentence that follows the quotes. I think you should make it more clear.

though the cold gazes I gave back made them face back forward.


Gazes? "Gaze" should do. Too many "back" in one sentence, don't you think?

tightly, and rode of


"off"

because in the end; all of those emotions drown you in darkness until the day you perish yourself


I think, comma would do just fine instead of a semicolon.

Being hated was like being show dishonor,


I'm not sure I understand this sentence. You either should take off "being" or the "show." And if you're going to settle for "show" then you should use -ing, just sayin'

and loyalty was only an illusion.


I cried tears for the people who have that fallen under my hand,


Um.
This is an interesting story. I loved the serene scene you created. Though, I was bothered by the sudden death of the character. You don't tell us how she dies. Did she die of old age? Did the guilt drove her crazy because she seems to be regretting her actions despite her motto. Or was she poisoned? Maybe telling us how she dies would take away the best thing that I have understood from this work, which is, we all die in the end. That being said, the end did come abruptly.

Anyway, this is a great work and I really enjoyed it.

Keep writing!

Cheers! =)




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 200
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:43 pm
View Likes
JeffRWoodridge wrote a review...



I was there, I could see the scene and hear the soldiers all because of this scene you created, it's stories like this that take me away for a short while and make me forget I'm reading. So nonetheless, I liked it. Brutal, dramatic, emotional, and very gory, you paint quite a picture in the reader's mind and stay true to your theme of a soldier slaughtering for their land, king, religion, and whatnot yet focusing solely on the aftermath with some nice flashbacks to add in some imagery and information for the reader. But the theme and the message of emotions you hold back will only stay with you until you die even if you were brainwashed by a simple motto at the time. Overall this story was brutal, very descriptive, very involving, and had a great message, I hope to see more of your works in the future!




User avatar
97 Reviews


Points: 982
Reviews: 97

Donate
Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:36 pm
View Likes
summergrl13 wrote a review...



Wow. This blew me out of the water. It sheds some light on the destruction and truth of war. I don't have much to criticize individually, as it's pretty grammatically sound and clear. But as a whole I have to say this may be too much violence, especially for the rating you gave this. Your main character is a bit too sadistic in my opinion. Not that a sadistic character isn't interesting or doesn't make a good subject for this story; I'd just say it needs to be dialed back a bit, especially if you want to keep the rating you have here.

Also, the murder of the mother and baby is very graphic. It's a bit unsettling to read, and not in the normal horror story, "This is so scary it's great way", but in a way that made me feel a little sick. I would be vague about it or not go into full details. It still provides the shock you're going for without making the reader too uncomfortable.

Further, I have to say I'm confused by the idea of using full armor with a tomahawk for a weapon. Even with a metal tomahawk, it sounds a little... feeble. A tomahawk is light and easy to swing but I wouldn't go to battle with it. You mention a sword, and I'd focus more on your character using that than a tomahawk.

And lastly, I feel like you should play up the remorse and guilt at the end of this. The character seems to have just accepted they did bad things; drive home the feelings of regret so it's clear how badly this person feels for what they did.

Good job and happy writing!





Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality