Gray Daze, Chapter Three - Lemon-Yellow Leaves,Pt.1

by DavidFoxx

Taken Down for edits

Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:44 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hey! I totally understand that you want to take this down for edits :)
I'm going to write a super quick review for you just so we can get this out of the green room!

Unfortunately without any of the work to go off of, I can't comment on any of your actual prose, but I can offer some general editing tips in case you see this and in case that is helpful to you!

Especially if this is a first draft, when you go to edit try to think big picture. Make sure all of your main characters have clear wants and clear things standing in the way of those wants and it's clear why it matters. Make sure each scene is driving that plot forward and make sure the characters are happening to the plot and the plot not happening to the characters. (The characters should have agency and they should be the ones moving things forward not endless things happening to them). Make sure there's an overall arc for the story. I personally like to use beat sheets when I edit (I'm a pantser at heart for first drafts so they're not helpful to me then :p) to make sure I'm hitting all of the major points of the story.

Once you hit all the big picture things, then look at what I think of as medium level things. Are you describing and showing and do the words jump off the page? Then from there move into the small sentence level things like am I using strong verbs? Am I using active voice rather than passive voice? Have I taken out filter verbs and filler words? Stuff like that.

Happy to talk more about editing if that's helpful to you! I hope this isn't too redundant of information for you :) Again, I wanted to get this out of the green room for you while you edit!

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:44 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Yay, another chapter! I also love the name of this chapter :D

Ooh, another perspective! I think you did a nice job with this chapter; it wasn't too fast paced or too slow paced. I like how we got to learn about Eva - you characterized her nicely in this chapter. I also like how we got to meet her friend, and your scenes all felt relatable and like they could actually happen. Nice job! I really liked this chapter. I'm going to point out some grammar things, if you don't mind. I apologize if I'm being too nitpicky; I only want to help! <33

It’s only the first day and I'm already skipping.

This opening sentence though xD quite interesting

But my mom’s just started a job for the first time since ..well I’m not exactly sure since when, but I haven’t had the house only for myself in ages, so it’s totally worth not going to school.

This is a pretty small thing, but if you're going to do the ".." thing, it's usually three dots! (an ellipsis)

Should be okay,right?

Another small thing, you're missing a space between "okay," and "right"

It was unusually sunny today.

You switch to past tense here when the rest of this is in present tense.

I'm sitting on оur small porch, reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Book names should be italicized :)

There isn't much traffic in the afternoon,so they don't care.

Very small thing, you're missing a space between "afternoon," and "so"

I don't remember where this big dog- with its scruffy red coat came from.

You don't really need a dash here.

she was a male at first . Mrs. Jenkins , the old lady

Couple of small things, the period should be attached to "first" and the comma to "Jenkins"

I' m trying to catch the wind, so I inhale as deeply as possible.

Small thing, "I' m" should be "I'm"

I sometimes feel like she’s reading from the same script every single day and we're all in the same play.

I'm constantly trying to change my lines, but life won't have it

I really like this comparison! It's quite unique. I kind of feel like they should be in the same paragraph. A lot of your paragraphs consist of only one or two sentences, so I think a lot of them could be combined. But if that's your style, then feel free to ignore this! <3

I just need a break sometimes.The world can be very overwhelming from where I stand.

Oof. Small thing, you're missing a space between the sentences

I decided to keep my promise , so I came to school.

Small thing, the comma should be attached to "promise"

“ And where were you yesterday, girl?”

Another small thing, the quotation should be attached to "And"

I gesture vaguely .

Same thing with this period. Sorry if I'm being too nitpicky; I just really want to help you out :D There are a few other spots, but I hope this example will help you find them!

Where.

I think "Where?" would work better than "Where."

And if she can’t - no one does. ‘

This quote should end with a double, not single, quotation.

Thank you very much. “ .

You don't need the second period.

but I’d never give up eating a chocolate cake for anything in the world.

And I mean really- anything- there’s nothing better than sweets.

SAME DUDE SAME

Overall, I think this was a great chapter! :D Eva felt very relatable haha. I hope this helped!

DavidFoxx says...

Thank you so much!! <3 No, I love that you point out my missteps, it helps me a lot!!
I'm also planning on including something about playing the piano, so I'll probably need you again, I hope you won't mind %uD83C%uDF39%uD83C%uDF39

starlitmind says...

I%u2019m glad to hear <33
I won%u2019t mind at all; I%u2019m be happy to help! :D

starlitmind says...

Oof that really messed up, hopefully you can still read it xD I%u2019ll rewrite it just in case

I am glad to hear <33
I do not mind at all; I will be happy to help! :D

starlitmind says...

I am glad to hear <33

starlitmind says...

I am glad to hear <33

starlitmind says...

I am glad to hear <33

starlitmind says...

Omg that replied so many times I%u2019m so sorry ahhh xD

DavidFoxx says...

Don't worry, I keep messing stuff with the site All Day, I can't stop :D
Thank you!!

I love how we all band together to break things...
— Kelpies