16+

Gray Daze

by DavidFoxx

Taken down for edits

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi David, welcome to YWS!

I'm here to give you a quick review. I think it would help, firstly, if you labelled your work as 'chapter one' in the title. That makes it easier to keep track of when you're posting any subsequent chapters and also means that people who come across it know before clicking where they're jumping into the novel.

Ok, now onto the actual piece.

Or now’s because of the four coffees and the headache I've been trying to ignore for the past few hours.

I swear the stupid drive from the airport's f*cking endless. Not that I'm excited to get anywhere, though. I just need a shower.

And a smoke, which I won't get any time soon. That I can be sure of.

I was stupid enough to throw the pack once we landed and I regret it by the minute.

Yeah, I know

This is very interesting, stylistically. The disjointed sentences and short, sharp paragraphs give a very specific feel to your character. It's a good choice, I think, though I can't help but think it would only work for so long. So my advice would be keep it for this chapter, but if you're planning on continuing from this character's PoV then it would probably be good to make further chapters flow together better. Otherwise I could see reading this becoming very tiring.

As another note, you don't have to * swears in your work on this site. If you've chosen to do that for the novel itself then fair enough, but you don't have to do it just to post here. I also see you've given the work an appropriate rating, so nothing to worry about.

Not that she could check anything in the last few weeks.

She insisted on coming to Canada earlier with my father last month, so that she could prepare everything before we arrive.

Not that she'd prepare anything, I think she was just afraid he'll start cheating on her the moment they are more than two miles apart.

The first and last sentence here feel a bit too repetitive with the 'not that she' at the beginning.

I think she was just afraid he'll start cheating on her the moment they are more than two miles apart.

Watch your tenses here – you change back and forth here.

- We'll be there in no time- my father's new assistant says . - Canmore's really not that far from Calgary anyway.

I'm not sure why you've chosen to do your speech in this manner, but personally I'm not a fan. If you need help on structuring speech then there are plenty of helpful resources on here I can direct you to. If this is a choice, I would say maybe reconsider? It makes it much harder to read.

That's my main point I think, that the speech makes it hard to follow. I can't really comment on the rest of the piece since I found it harder to work out what was going on during the speech.

Otherwise, it's an interesting start. You've definitely primed the story for some conflict, and I look forward to seeing which direction you take this in. Your character voice is also very unique so I'm intrigued to learn more about them!

Hope this helped somewhat. Feel free to ask me any questions if something isn't clear. :)

Icy

DavidFoxx says...

Thank you so much!
It's huge help, and I really, really appreciate it <3

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:52 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there! Welcome to YWS :D I hope you're enjoying it so far!
Ooh, so it definitely seems like there are some secrets to be uncovered in this story. I think you have a pretty good start! There are some places I'd like to point out that may need work on. It mostly deals with grammar and a few suggestions in general.

It's almost dawn, the time when ink blue starts turning pink at the edges. The new color begins to creep up, until it has completely chewed up the dark and then spits the sun out.

I feel that "blue ink" sounds better than "'ink blue." But I love the second sentence; it has quite interesting imagery!

I'm confused by this sentence grammatically. I think you meant "Or maybe it's because of the four coffees and..."

Often times I'm confused by where you start a new paragraph. Many of your paragraphs are just a couple of sentences. I feel that a lot of your paragraphs could be combined. I'll give you one example below.

I believe this all could be combined. This is just one example. I don't think you need to have so many very tiny paragraphs.

Like a limb you've been sitting on for too long, or like when you fall asleep drunk in the weirdest position and wake up hours later.

This is not a sentence by itself. I would combine it with the previous one.

Like MissGangamash said, no quotations make this a bit confusing. I'm curious on your choice of not using quotation marks. I often forget who is speaking and who is who in general. Unless you have a reason for not using quotations, I think your story would really benefit from them.

"Oh, I'm such a nice guy, you are going to love me "

Very small thing, the quotation should be attached to the "me" without a space.

Not him nodding off at the dinner table, or mid-conversation.

You have a lot of sentences like these that aren't technically sentences by themselves, and I don't think they need to be entirely new paragraphs.

It’ll suck when dad slips in king- mode again and starts firing people at random.

"dad" should be capitalized since it's being used as a name.

She gives us both a kiss on the cheeks, like we’re in a French movie and we’re old friends, meeting for their afternoon tea.

You don't really need the "their" before "afternoon tea."

Wine maybe, since that’s France?

"it's France" sounds better to me than "that's France."

Like the last six months never happened and we can all wipe our brains clean, spotless like this new house and start everything all over again.

Ooh, I love the closing sentence. It's definitely going to make readers want to read the next chapter, and it has nice descriptions!

Overall, I think you have a good idea going on here! I'd just look at your dialogue and your paragraphs. Your paragraphs are what threw me off the most. I hope this helped!

DavidFoxx says...

Thank you so, so much!
I messed with the way dialogues are presented, so I apologize- it must've been painful to read.
Thank you once again <3

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm
MissGangamash wrote a review...

Saw this in the green room so I thought I'd give it a read and give you your first review.

Is there a reason you're not using quotation marks for speech? It makes reading this very jarring and confusing, especially when the narrator narrates in a conversational way, too.

I like the little hints of - I'm guessing - the brother's illness. But, again, it's quite difficult to read and follow.

'We arrive decades later. No exaggeration.' - except it is an exaggeration? So the last part in redundant.

'None of our parents made it to the front door' - sounds weird. Could just be 'neither of our parents'. Unless they have more that two parents and that's important.

Hope this helps :)

DavidFoxx says...

Thank you so much!
I messed the format, because I copy paste, and it must've been hell for you to read.
Thank you once again, especially about the remarks about sentences that sound weird <3

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina