Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

12+

The End of Mr Y

by Dani965

Hi, I'm new to this website so I want to start small with the writing that I share because I'm not overly confident in some things that I write. So I know there aren't really any book reviews on this website but as I wanted to start small I want to share a review I wrote on a book called 'The End of Mr Y'.

'The End of Mr Y' by Scarlett Thomas displays how some people become so captivated in trying to achieve the impossible that they find themselves at an easily avoidable end if only they paid more attention to the other aspects of their lives. 

Mr Y, a character in the novel, inadvertently casts his attention away from his work and family in pursuit of his dream to reach the 'troposphere', which he had previously experienced after receiving a tincture from a 'fairground doctor', giving him the ability to jump from one person's mind to another.

However, Scarlett Thomas wrote the novel in a more unique way, she decided to write her book from a young university student's perspective. The student (Ariel) is a fan of the author Thomas Lumas who, in the novel, is the apparent author of 'The End of Mr Y' (also the name of the book in the actual novel). 

Now, in the novel, Lumas, the editor and the publisher all unexpectedly pass away, supposedly after reading the book. And thus, the rumour of the curse began to spread. Obviously the curse is the idea that whoever reads the book also passes away. However, Ariel has read the book and is perfectly fine. Although, she does hold the recipe for the tincture that Mr Y so desperately tried to get a hold of. And he eventually did. This drove Mr Y to further insanity and he put so much work into the 'troposphere' that he forgot everything else and starved to death.

So, what will happen to Ariel? Will she reach the troposphere or will she end up like Mr Y?

---

I would like to add that this book does contain some mature content so i wouldn't recommend it to young readers. 

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:40 am
Dest wrote a review...

Hello and welcome to YWS!

Excellent review. You gave a lot of good information enough for me to decide if I want to read it or not. Actually, I think might. The premise sounds interesting enough.

The student (Ariel) is a fan of the author Thomas Lumas who, in the novel, is the apparent author of 'The End of Mr Y' (also the name of the book in the actual novel).

Ah, so it’s a book within a book type of thing.

Overall, did you like it? Were the characters likable?

Dani965 says...

Thankyou, I'm glad you liked it!
1) Yes it is a book within a book type of thing and I must admit it was hard for me to describe this as it made it quite confusing

2) Honestly I haven't actually finished the book yet, my review was based off of what I have read so far. But to answer your questions I'm really enjoying it so far and I think some of the characters are likable and others just make me really annoyed by how snarky/stupid they can be. However, I usually have one or two characters in each book I read that annoy me, so your opinion may be completely different to mine!

I do suggest reading it. It is an amazing book and if you do choose to read it, I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do because it is a fantastic book!

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:17 am
Poppy wrote a review...

Hi Dani! It's Poppy, and I'm here with a review!

First of all, welcome to YWS! I'm new too, and so far it's been great! Everyone I've met so far has been really nice, so I'm sure you'll have no trouble making friends on here :) Also, there aren't book reviews (that I'm aware of) but you can join clubs about different books, or even make your own club! I'm sure you could state your opinions there, and maybe even hold a debate!

Now, onto your piece! I've never read 'The End of Mr. Y', but it sounds like an interesting and maybe even a philosophical read! It reminds me of a book I read for school called 'The Best Things in Life', a fiction about Socrates (a famous Greek philosopher) coming back to life in our generation, and basically his thoughts and questions consisting mostly on religion and the evolution of progress.
But anyway, enough about that. I found this review of 'The End of Mr.Y' very interesting, and it sounds like a book I would enjoy! I do wonder about more details on 'getting to the troposphere' because that's lowest region of the atmosphere, but it's about mind reading? I can see how those could be related in a book, perhaps he mind reads his way into getting to go to the troposphere, but clarification on that would be helpful, especially since it's a review.
I'm also curious as to why you left off with questions instead of a fully comprehended review of the book. I like it, it makes me want to read the book to figure out these things, but as for a review its unique. But, if you're going for a more mysterious ending, you nailed it there!

Overall, the piece is well written in my opinion, and I see no reason why you shouldn't be confident in it! I liked it a lot :)
Keep up the great work!
-Poppy

Dani965 says...

Thankyou for the review I'm glad you liked it!
I must admit the 'getting to the troposphere' part confused me aswell, so unfortunately I can't answer that very well. All I can really say is that it is described as the "center-point of Lumas's book and it is supposed to be a place where all consciousness is connected and you can enter other people's minds and read their thoughts.
And yes, I ended the review with rhetorical questions to try and make it more mysterious and hopefully entice the reader and make them want to find out more!

Poppy says...

I see, almost like A Wrinkle in Time (I don't know if you've read that, but basically different dimensions in time hold reality together, like a center-point). I'll definitely have to see if my library has this book!

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind