Since Infinity Chapter 9

by Daenyss

“Cailin! Cailin!” Reporters were calling my name from all sides as I made my way into the venue from the red carpet. “Why were you gone? Where did you go? How did you meet Milana? Why is your hair blonde instead of red?”

I smiled at all of them, Ana pressing into me as the security people pushed the paparazzi back so that we could walk inside. As we walked, I noted the opulence, and took a breath at how golden everything was. It was a stark contrast to my rural lives in the countries I’d visited.

The two of us found our seats, which were about a hundred or so feet away from the stage and on an aisle, before beginning to mingle with other celebrities who had arrived. Their faces passed in a blur, all people that I had never met, but that wanted to meet me.

I saw Cullen, Asher, Brayden, and Tristan standing talking to the guys in All Time Low, and went over to them, clearing my throat as I arrived.

“Cailin!” Jack explained, wrapping an arm around me. “It’s been a minute.”

I smiled and nodded, embracing the false persona that I had created to hide my real identity back in high school. “A long minute,” I answered with a slight laugh. “How’s life going?”

“It’s pretty alright,” he laughed back. “You excited to perform tonight?”

“I’m always excited to perform, especially these songs. They’re really personal to me, I’m super excited to get to share them live with the world.”

All of a sudden, Brayden was at my ear. “Do you mind if I steal our beautiful Miss Eden for a moment, Jackson?” he asked, faking an English accent and deepening his voice.

I burst out into giggles as Jack answered him in the same manner. “Why go right ahead, Mister Austin,” here he bowed courteously, “but only if Miss Eden doesn’t mind.”

“I don’t mind,” I assured the two of them, feeling my cheeks heat up as Brayden pulled me away from Jack gently and over towards he and his band.

Tristan immediately engulfed me in a hug, and I was thrown back to the conversation I overheard when Cullen had him on speakerphone and I walked in the week prior. I decided the topic was best left alone, but I couldn’t help but wonder who the girl he was interested in was.

“You look great tonight,” he complimented me as he pulled away.

“Thanks, but it’s all Ana’s doing,” I ducked my head modestly, trying to hide my slightly flushed face. “I always look like a hot mess when I dress myself.”

“Nonsense, you always look beautiful,” he came back, and luckily Brayden stepped in, allowing me to hide my shock in peace.

“So where did you go?” my rescuer questioned, brushing a stray hair out of my face.

“Colombia, Brazil, Italy, China, France, and these days I live in Norway,” I told them, and their jaws dropped.

“You’ve basically covered the world,” Tristan commented, before Brayden whacked his arm.

“Africa’s a thing, dumbass,” he reminded him, and giggles gushed from my lips once again.

“Language, Bray,” I scolded my friend, “and I actually spent two weeks in Morocco with Ana this past fall.”

“So she has been everywhere!” Tristan exclaimed, whacking Brayden back.

“Woah, guys, respect the clothes,” Ana interjected softly, speaking for the first time since we’d joined the group. “Somebody worked hard on those.”

"Oh crap," I muttered, reaching over and pulled Ana closer to our group. "Hey guys, this is my best friend Ana. Introduce yourselves."

Tristan smiled at her and offered a small wave. "Tristan Wilder, lead guitar and backup vocals. I like your hair," he offered, adding a cheeky wink and making her face flush.

Brayden rolled his eyes at Tristan and took Ana's hand and kissed it. "Brayden Austin, lead singer, backup guitar, and always a knight in shining armor for a fair maiden like yourself."

Ana blushed and rolled her eyes at his flirtatiousness before whispering in my ear, "Are they always like this?"

I nodded, and she let out a slight groan. "You have weird friends."

I laughed softly, the echo being absorbed by the bodies crowded into the space around me. "I'm aware."

Brayden and Tristan continued to flirt with Ana as Asher sidled up to me and whispered in my ear. “I like the dress.”

“I’m sure you do,” I whispered back. “We’re announcing us after this is over, right?”

“The very second,” he confirmed with a smile. “You should probably get back to your seats, show starts in five.”

I nodded, tapping Ana’s arm to get her attention. “We’re gonna go on back to our seats. I’ll see you guys afterward, we have to play catch-up soon.”

“Definitely,” Tristan said, and Ana and I made our way through the throng of superstars, record moguls, and other important people before taking our seats once more.

The show progressed slowly, and soon I was in the wings, waiting to be announced for my first performance of the night.

“And next up we’ll have Cailin Eden, performing a song off of her newest album Wandering Soul!” Jimmy Fallon’s voice echoed through the theater as I walked out to the piano and took my seat.

I turned to face the audience so that I could introduce the song, wanting them to know just a bit of the story behind it. “I just want to say before I play this that I spent some time traveling the world, finding my sound, and falling back in love with music this past year, that’s why I’ve been gone,” I started, blinking rapidly as my eyes watered from the blinding stage lights. “I left my phone and all my other electronics behind, and went out and lived in villages all across the world. This song is for all the people that loved me and accepted me and helped make me the person I am today. Here is...Mercí.”

As I began to play the song, I let it fill up my being. The smells of the rich, dark soil that I had learned to work alongside the farmers in Colombia returned to me. The sounds of the restaurant where I’d worked in Italy swirled through my head, the vendors outside the doors bartering with villagers at the farmer’s market as the kitchen boys yelled jargon I never learned back and forth. Sweat from the stage lights suddenly became sweat from the rice paddy I had worked in in China. I switched between languages as I sang the thank you I’d left before I could say to these people, and prayed that they heard it.

I looked out at the crowd after I was done, smiling and waving, before making my way offstage and back to my seat, still beaming as Ana hugged me. We settled back to watch the rest of the show, and I was absolutely thrilled when they announced that If Roses Rain was nominated for Best Rock Performance for Shattered Paris, even though they didn’t win.

At the next commercial break, I once again made my way backstage as Cullen did the same.

“Ready?” he asked me, slinging an arm around my shoulders.

“You bet,” I smiled in return.

“...debuting their duet I Know What You Hide, which is released on all platforms tonight at the conclusion of the Grammys, please welcome Cailin Eden and Cullen Pierce!” Jimmy Fallon was out in the crowd this time, so the spotlight on him simply faded out as Cullen and I took the stage.

The stage was even warmer this time, due to the prolonged amount of time the stage lights had been running, and I began to sweat immediately. I stopped at my microphone stand, and my friend gave my hand one last reassuring squeeze before continuing on to the other side of the stage to his.

Behind us, the band started, and Cullen and I made sure to keep eye contact as we waited for the first cue. The weight I felt on my shoulders was crushing, the pressure of debuting a song at the Grammys finally starting to get to me.

I scrambled to remember my words as my first cue came, and to also keep projecting my happy, effortless facade. Luckily, Cullen came in on the second verse, and I was able to take a second to breathe and collect myself.

As the song progressed, we made our way to the middle of the stage together, getting lost in the message of having someone who notices you when nobody else does and who goes through the same things you do and understands you, even when you think nobody could.

The final note sounded all too soon, and he wrapped me in a hug before the two of us made our way offstage and back to our seats as the show cut to commercial. Three minutes later, Jimmy Fallon was magically onstage again announcing that Bruno Mars and Alessia Cara were going to be presenting Song of the Year.

The duo made their way to center stage, and the prepared video package of nominees played. I thought I heard Mercí, but I wasn’t sure until Ana started shaking my arm and screaming in my ear. She got even louder when they announced my name, while I started crying as I hugged her tightly.

I made my way to the stage quickly, then hugged both Bruno and Alessia as I accepted the small statuette from the girl who offered it to me and stepped up to the microphone.

“Um, so, I didn’t check the nominations this year, so this is a bit of a shock,” I started, and the audience laughed. “I obviously don’t have a prepared speech, so I’m just going to kind of explain how the album came about. About a year ago, I got really tired of feeling like music, something I loved, was a chore, and that I was just somebody’s pawn, so I made the decision to do things on my own terms.” Memories flashed through my head - my manager telling me that I had to do what he told me, that I was just a girl who didn’t understand the world; producers discounting my opinion because I was young; not being allowed to play my own songs because they were too “basic” and they “would never sell.”

“I’m pretty sure I shocked the world,” I continued, “when I disappeared off the face of the planet, leaving anything electronic behind and telling nobody where I was going. But I took the time to get away and learn about who I was as a person, and I really grew up. Wandering Soul was written as I traveled the world, as I experienced different cultures, and Mercí was written as a thank you to everyone who helped me throughout my journey. So yeah. Mercí,” I finished with a slight awkward laugh before following Bruno and Alessia off the stage and into the wings.

Jimmy became the focus of the show again, and announced that Record of the Year and Album of the Year would be awarded together, before inviting Taylor Swift and Katy Perry to the stage to announce the winner.

Once again, I was announced as a nominee, and I actually thought I was going to throw up if I won. Three Grammy nominations in one year was a dream, three wins might be enough to kill me.

Taylor read out the winner’s name, and I felt a hand on my back pushing me back out onto the stage. The tears were falling thick and fast down my face, and I attempted to wipe them as I walked back to the center and hugged Katy and Taylor and took my two awards.

“So, um, obviously this is unexpected,” I sniffed, attempting to make it sound like I was joking. “But seriously, I couldn’t do this without a whole bunch of people. My amazing best friend Milana Vernice, the people who discovered me and are now like brothers to me, the boys of If Roses Rain, and of course my manager and all the people that work for him. Really, though, the people I need to thank are the fans. You guys didn’t give up on me when I disappeared, and you’ve been supportive since the very beginning. I love all of you so much more than you know. Thanks again to everyone who helped me get here.”

I made my way offstage once again as Jimmy thanked everyone for watching and announced what was up next. Handing back the trophies(the real ones would be mailed out later in the week, I was told), I made my way over to the exit red carpet, where Asher was waiting to scoop me up in a hug.

“I’m so proud of you,” he whispered, kissing my cheek.

I blushed. “I think I’m in shock.”

“I don’t blame you.”

A reporter had noticed the two of us and came over. “I have Asher Axton and Cailin Eden here,” she spoke into her microphone. “And may I say the two of you look very cozy for two friends.”

Asher smiled down at me as I buried my face in his chest. “You could say that,” he responded, keeping his eyes on me the entire time.

“Is there something you’d like to tell us?” the lady prompted, and I bit my lip, trying to contain my widening smile as Asher began to speak again.

“There isn’t something I’d like to tell you, but there is something I’d love to tell you,” he answered her, smirking slightly. “I’m dating this amazing girl right here, and I’m so happy we can finally tell people.”

“Cailin, is this true?” she asked me, and I pried myself from Asher’s chest to face her so I could answer.

“It absolutely is,” I confirmed his statement. “We’re dating, and we can’t wait to see where our relationship goes.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 am
Sujana wrote a review...

Okay, so at this point I'll be honest with you--I'm not really digging where Lauren and the rest of the gang are going here. I started out liking Lauren's characterization, but this chapter made me doubtful of the rest of the characterization available. But we'll talk about that a bit later.

Their faces passed in a blur - Camila Cabello, Adele, Rihanna, Pink. All people that I had never met, but that wanted to meet me.

I'm not sure if I like the name-checking here. It sort of feels unearned and juts out of the story, because we've been so focused on the personal side of Lauren's story that seeing her suddenly turn into this A-list celebrity is jarring. If you want to mention them, you can be cheeky about it and either describe their most famous traits or misspell their names or something that doesn't come off as pandering, but is well-earned by anybody who understands who they are.

“So where did you go?” he questioned, brushing a stray hair out of my face.

Okay, so who are the 'hes' here? I'm a little confused. Is it Jack, Brayden, or what? Maybe specify with a description of who they are, like 'the musician' or something, if you don't want to use their names.

“I just want to say before I play this that I spent some time traveling the world, finding my sound, and falling back in love with music this past year, that’s why I’ve been gone. I left my phone and all my other electronics behind, and went out and lived in villages all across the world. This song is for all the people that loved me and accepted me and helped make me the person I am today. Here is...Mercí.”

This is...scarce. Again, there's no movement in the words, no hint of what the speaker is doing while she's monologuing to an audience. I'd at least expect a mention of where she's looking, where she's standing, how bright the spotlights are, before finally announcing the wham line, "Here is...Merci." On it's own, it sounds more like a transcript of a scene rather than an actual written scene.

As I began to play the song, I let it fill up my being, and I saw the rural farmers of Colombia and Brazil and China, the villagers of France and Italy. I switched between their languages as I sang the thank you I’d left before I could say, and prayed that they heard it.

...That was anticlimactic. Do we not even get to hear the lyrics to the song? Are we supposed to imagine the words flowing out of her mouth, and the emotion behind it? Because that's not our job. Well, not primarily. We're supposed to be reading and imagining with what the writer is giving us, and to be honest, you're not giving the audience much here.

If only they knew what it meant, I thought, making my way offstage. If only they’d shared my experiences.

Yes, Lauren. I, too, wish I shared your experiences, because right now I have no idea what they are and I'm starting to feel like I don't care.

As the song progressed, we made our way across the stage to each other, getting lost in the message of having someone who notices you when nobody else does and who goes through the same things you do and understands you, even when you think could.

The final note sounded all too soon, and he wrapped me in a hug before the two of us made our way offstage and back to our seats as the show cut to commercial.

I feel like this should be, logically, the climax of their story, the high point of their drama. And again, I feel nothing. It's telling me how to feel, it's telling me how important this scene is to the characters, but I feel nothing.

Here's the thing; I get what you're aiming for here. I get that you have this bombastic scene in your head full of spotlights and a captive audience of thousands, staring as two silhouettes sing over each other in an emotional duet, their eyes linked like constellations, the grip on their microphones as their vocal chords struggle to find the right tune to perfectly communicate their love lost--just like you may be trying really hard to find the perfect word arrangement, the perfect sentence structure to communicate this world in your head, the struggles of these characters in your head. But writing is like making a movie. It doesn't matter if the scene is supposed to be bombastic and amazing, if the director doesn't record a ton of people clapping in their seats or the lights arranged just right or if the music is all wrong, it's still an empty scene.

Give us something to grasp here. Give us the lights or the faces of the people, or the band playing or the notes they're singing or the lyrics or the wooden floorboards of the stage or something. This is an emotional crescendo, not a Sparks Notes summary. This has so much potential on it's own, and yet it feels empty, because it's not furnished with any descriptions of what's going on. Why should the audience care about what's happening if they can't even see what's happening in their head?

“Um, so, I didn’t check the nominations this year, so this is a bit of a shock,” I started, and the audience laughed. “I obviously don’t have a prepared speech, so I’m just going to kind of explain how the album came about. About a year ago, I got really tired of feeling like music, something I loved, was a chore, and that I was just somebody’s pawn, so I made the decision to do things on my own terms.

I feel like this is an important scene for the character that isn't conveyed properly for the audience because we weren't there when she wrote Merci. We weren't there when she got tired of the music industry as a whole, so we can't feel for her. This wouldn't be a problem if it was just a cause for her to launch into her new life, and not the crux of an entire speech. Basically, most of my reviews can be summed up as "It'd be a good story if I actually heard the story instead of hearing the aimless aftermath." And also, "Show, don't Tell."

Okay, now this is just egregious. What's the point of giving the main character three Grammys? It'd be one thing if this was a Whiplash or Black Swan thing where we watched the main character go through hell and back to be good at what they do, but is music really the crux of this story? Let's be honest here. Completely. Are we reading this story because we want to hear the heartwarming story of a musician winning three Grammys?

If it was, I feel like you fell short of conveying that, because I was not at all invested in Lauren's musical career. I was invested in her path to emotional maturity, and partly her relationship with Asher (again, slightly iffy on that part). Am I saying you can't give the main character three Grammys? No, definitely not. But you need to convince the audience that she deserves three Grammys, or at the very least you need to convince us it's actually relevant to the story as a whole. One Grammy is a pleasant surprise for the readers. Three and an extra speech feels like the writer being unnecessarily indulgent and unrealistic.

“Cailin, is this true?” she asked me, and I pried myself from Asher’s chest to face her so I could answer,

“It absolutely is,” I confirmed his statement. “We’re dating, and we can’t wait to see where our relationship goes.”

Put a period at the end of the first paragraph. You don't split up paragraphs with commas.

Also, I'd say I haven't seen a red flag for "PLOT DRAMA IS ABOUT TO COMMENCE" bigger than this (other than in police procedurals when a cop is talking about his retirement plans). However, I've been waiting for drama for a long time, so I'm not sure if it'll be worth it when it finally comes.

But those are just my thoughts. Harsher than usual unfortunately, and I hope you know it's nothing personal. I do hope that the story does pay off, but right now I'm not particularly impressed.

--Elliot.

Daenyss says...

Hey, thanks for reviewing again! If you've noticed, I've incorporated some of your suggestions already, and the rest are in progress. I definitely see where you're coming from with this - I wrote this all in one night, and it screams "ROUGH DRAFT!" I promise, I'll work on it. The comma was a typo. Thanks again for poppy by!

Daenyss says...

Also, to give a breakdown of their roles in the band:
Brayden Austin - lead vocal, rhythm guitar
Tristan Wilder - lead guitar, backup vocals
Cullen Pierce - bass guitar, backup vocals
Asher Axton - drums, backup vocals

Daenyss says...

Wow, I really needed to answer this all at once, but I'm editing, and so I'm progressing through this and replying back as I get to your comments. The thing about the Grammys she won, it's to convey the superstardom there, which was previously only alluded to. Also, if I was being as realistic as I could be, she would've had three speeches. At the 60th Annual Grammys, Bruno Mars won Song, Album, and Record of the Year(as Lauren does here), and made a speech ALL. THREE. TIMES. By the time he was making his third speech, I was ready to pull my hair out. So I decided, for the sake of the reader, to play with reality and cut her short a speech. I really had no desire to write three speeches, either.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:16 am
AliceinBluue wrote a review...

Hello hello again! I'm back again for your new and improved chapter 9!!!

First up, what I liked!

Ayyyyye!!! It's the missing Grammy chapter!!! I like the fact that Lauren is so obviously grateful for the opportunities she has had with meeting other people and living across the world. Ant I think that really shines through in this chapter, she thanks everyone who has ever helped her out, even while she was at her lowest and feeling like the thing she loved to do didn't love her back. I also really like that you made it so apparent that Lauren's emotions were overwhelming her throughout this whole experience.

Next up, onto my critiques!

Alright, so a lot of new-ish characters thrown at us this chapter. We met the rest of Asher and Cullen's band, and I'm not going to lie, I honestly kept mixing them up while reading them. They just don't have any defining features about them yet. We know that Tristan has a thing for a girl and that Cullen knows who it is but isn't telling anyone, but that's about it. We didn't even really get a description of them, they were just there. Come to think of it, what parts do they play in the band? I don't think we have ever been told what each of the boys do in the band. I'm assuming that Cullen is the vocalist because he sings the duet with Lauren, and Asher is the pianist? Maybe? Because(I think) he sat down at the piano to play the cover with Lauren a few chapters back. Try going a bit more into that though because these guys are, from what I can tell, some of Lauren's best friends pre-disappearance, not to mention they're the people who 'discovered her', but we know next to nothing about them.

Keep up the great work!!! I can't wait to see where you take it next!!!
-Alice

Daenyss says...

Hey! So I went ahead and edited this a little bit. Tristan and Brayden are now kind of their own people, they have this little moment where their characters shine through(they are similar people, though, sometimes even I mix them up).

A full breakdown of the band:
rayden Austin - lead vocal, rhythm guitar
Asher Axton - drums, backup vocals

You have light and peace inside you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.
— Uncle Iroh, Avatar the Last Airbender