z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Since Infinity Chapter 10

by Daenyss


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

“Asher Axton, don’t ignore me,” I almost growled, grabbing his wrist and pulling him around to face me.

“I’m not! I just thought we’d already addressed this,” he growled in a similar fashion, yanking his arm out of my grasp.

We’d awoken in his Los Angeles condo to news of our relationship announcement covering our social media feeds, as well as magazine covers. “Asher Axton and Cailin Eden - Crazy In Love,” read People. USA Today had “Cailin Eden and Asher Axton: Will It Last?” blazoned across its front. Star’s cover story: “Dating Again! After a Year of Being Single, Drummer Asher Axton is in a Relationship!” Now, I, at least, was determined to face the facts we’d been putting off for almost two months now.

“No. We haven’t addressed anything since we’ve been back together, and I’m getting sick of dating someone I feel like I barely know anymore. Either we talk, or I’m sorry, but this just isn’t working for me anymore.” I held his eye with a steel gaze, refusing to budge.

He sighed, taking a seat on his kitchen island before looking at me. “I’m listening.”

I bit my lip. “Are you?”

He nodded. “Yes. If you feel like we need to talk, I’ll talk.”

I wrapped my arms around myself, needing a hug but not wanting one from Asher. “So, um...I felt like we’d start at the obvious,” I whispered, my voice wavering as I finally spoke the words I’d been rehearsing in my head for so long. “We don’t really know each other anymore.”

His brow furrowed. “I don’t know what you mean.”

I sighed. “I’m not the same person that left in the middle of the night almost a year ago. I was that girl, yes. But that girl traveled, she saw how people around the world lived and loved and made their ways through life. She grew up, a lot. She found her own voice.

“I’ll never be the girl you dated before. She’s gone, as much as you might hate that. And as much as you might want to say that you know me now, reality is that we haven’t spent enough time together for that to be true. I won’t pretend that I know how you’ve changed over the year I’ve been gone, and there are things even now that seem to come out of left field from you. We can’t keep pretending we know each other when we don’t,” I told him, and he ran his hand through his hair, a habit he seemed to have developed since I’d left. He used to hate touching his hair, or having other people touch it.

“I have changed,” he sighed, fiddling with his fingers. “And you have, too. I guess I just assumed that we’d get to where we were comfortable with that.”

I shook my head. “I don’t want any more assumptions. It’s too easy to get mixed up when they’re made.”

“That’s fair.”

I smiled slightly at him, before remembering what I planned to say next. “The next thing I wanted to say is...I think we need to start over. Completely.”

“What?” His face was a sculpture of confusion, eyes widened slightly and eyebrows raised. “What does that even mean?”

I looked at him. “It means that whatever we were before...it doesn’t count anymore. We broke laws, Asher, and we hid it with lies. I was fine with it before, but I’m not now. I don’t want to continue a relationship that only survived because of lies.”

He groaned. “We talked about this over and over. You always said it was okay. What changed?” His eyes had gone from bewildered to angered, the understanding changing to defensiveness.

“I changed,” I explained, turning away from him so that I could keep my train of thought pure of guilt. “I saw people get arrested in China for lies much smaller than the ones we told. I learned how not okay it is to lie. And I don’t want to be in a relationship built on one.”

He seemed to soak this in like a cheap paper towel - absorbing some of my words, but leaving plenty to permeate the air. My heart beat rapidly as I watched him try to understand my words. Every movement of his face, every flash of his eyes, every twitch of his hands added to the tension crushing my shoulders.

“So - so you’re breaking up with me?” Everything about him was crushed and drawn into itself when he looked up.

“I’m saying that I want to start our relationship over as two consenting adults, instead of continuing a relationship that started as a minor dating an adult without parental consent and that was covered with lies,” I clarified, leaning back against the table.

He nodded. “We should probably, y’know, tell people about this. Like, Ana and Cullen and Tristan and Brayden.”

I smiled over at him. “Does that mean you agree?”

He bit his lip in response. “I agree. I'm not thrilled, but you've got a point. I just want to be with you, and if this is what it takes, I'm willing to do it.”

Standing, I walked over to him. “You know, you’re hot.”

Asher smirked and rested his palms against the countertop, flexing casually and causing me to almost burst out in a fit of giggles. “You’re pretty hot too, gorgeous. What would you say about lunch on Friday?”

The torrent of giggles I’d been suppressing pushed past my lips and filled the room. “What if I’m busy during lunch on Friday?”

“I’ll just have to ask you to dinner, then,” he answered nonchalantly, shrugging as if he was unbothered by my question. “You’ll find I’m persistent.”

I blushed. “I’m open whenever you are then.”

He winked, walking over to the coffee maker and pouring himself a cup of the black liquid before taking a sip. “I can’t wait.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 pm
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, Daenyss. I am here to provide you a review. Let’s get started, shall we?
Note: This review will be based off this chapter alone since I have not read the previous chapters. Please bear with me.

I. OPINION ON CHAPTER
The drama in this is so like, I don’t know how to feel about it. It was like “My god” type feel, y’know what I mean? I love the topic you chose for the characters to discuss about. This is true, you can’t have a relationship based on lies, and it would probably be painful to continue where the relationship left off. It is best to start over. Kind of like, get to know the person all over again. Except this time, this will be a real and honest relationship. This simply showed an amazing aspect being portrayed in this chapter. I love it. I am very interesting in the rest of the novel now. ( Going to have to go back and read all the chapters. )

This chapter was simply amazing. It’s upsetting that the only thing I can provide is my personal insight of the chapter because I haven’t read the novel yet.
Keep up the great work. I shall be reading from the beginning when I can, and I will be one of your committed readers. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day.

- Kanome

This review courtesy of
Image




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2872
Reviews: 62

Donate
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:02 pm
AliceinBluue wrote a review...



Alright alright! I'm back again and ready to review!

First up, like always, what I liked about this chapter!

Yessssssss, YESSSSSSSSS, give me the drama, give me the character flaws, give me the characters talking things out, give me them talking about how their first relationship was technically illegal and how that makes them feel yesssssssssss. I want you to know, that reading this chapter, I was mentally making grabby hands at every moment where they talked about things, where Lauren and Asher had conflict, where they disagreed with each other. I literally read the first line and went 'yesssss', out loud, in the middle of a library. I love the fact that you're talking about this stuff!!!

Now, onto my critiques!

Okay, so you have started talking about the flaws they had in their relationship, but you've only brushed the tip of the iceberg on what you could discuss. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the topic you choose to discuss, but I still think it would benefit them to talk about how Lauren leaving affected Asher, and what led Lauren to leave in the first place, we're nine chapters in and we still don't know why Lauren would have left and cut off communications with Asher. Also, how did the status of their relationship get out to the press? I though they were going to announce it at the Grammy's? If they did release it at the Grammy's like they had planned, then we missed out on a HUGE event as the Grammy's have been built up these past few chapters as a really big event for everyone involved. Maybe make that part a little bit cleared or add a section somewhere where they discuss releasing the status of their relationship again.

Can't wait to see how you continue this story! I loved that you added depth, I love that Lauren is uncomfortable with a relationship that they built on lies, but Asher just wants things to go back to how they were, I love the tension I can see slowly starting to build between them! Keep up the great work!
-Alice




Daenyss says...


Oh dag nabbit. I accidentally uploaded the wrong chapter. There was a bunch of stuff that happened at the Grammys that was supposed to come before this. I'll work on fixing it ASAP - but trust me, there will be a scene at the Grammys, it will be long, and much will be revealed. And this is one of many, many discussions they have about their relationship, as Lauren is committed to keeping it open and honest this time. Thanks for popping by again!




If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson