z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Mourn Me Not

by D


On misty days and grief drenched mornings,
When sight is blurry and life a dark ride,
I see you drunk with perplexion and
Lost in wonderous complexities.
But, mourn me not
For I shall rise soon.

Bloodied paths do you tread,
Remnants of human frailty.
When love is lacking and
Hope blinded by naivete,
Mourn me not
For my return is forthcoming.

Echoing whispers do I hear,
Prayers and curses – of humans young and old.
Faith invested in people and stars,
My rays show me a world
In apprehension of the future,
The present spent in prayers
For a better tomorrow.

Enormous miseries and fantasies
Do my luminosity envelope,
Emitting shards of magical realism –
Your quotidian charm.

As long as tomorrow exists,
Mourn me not.
For I shall rise every day
And leave novel beginnings in my wake.

This poem was written from the sun’s perspective since the sun is often used as a metaphor to convey positivity, happy times and such. The world isn’t in the best possible state right now but we’ll hopefully get through this. Hope you had a good read!

Thoughtfully yours,
 
D

Originally published on Random Specific Thoughts (my blog).


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 1763
Reviews: 60

Donate
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:39 am
View Likes
LizzyTyler wrote a review...



Good morning/afternoon/evening

That is quite the poem! I love your use of imagery, it allows the reader to picture exactly what is happening, and I know it’s a bit difficult to do that in a poem. And your description isn’t overdone either. It gives just enough for the reader to picture what is happening, but also leaves room for wordplay and interpretation.

On misty days and grief drenched mornings,
When sight is blurry and life a dark ride,
I see you drunk with perplexion and
Lost in wonderous complexities.


I think this is my favorite part of the whole poem. An amazing way to start off your poem, and a great example of what I mentioned above. Your words create a haunting atmosphere clearly in the reader’s mind, but with an eloquence that is uniquely poetic.

I am quite impressed with the vocabulary in your poem. I’m impressed you were able to fit words like “naivete” and “luminosity” without disrupting the flow of the poem. I didn’t even know what “quotidian” meant! All around, your poem was beautiful and haunting, both in your wordplay, and in your meaning conveyed in your poem. I hope to see more of your work around! Stay safe and keep writing!

-Lizzy




D says...


Hey Lizzy!

I'm so sorry for replying so late.

It makes me so happy to hear your thoughts on the poem! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review! I highly appreciate it!

Take care!

-D



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 351
Reviews: 60

Donate
Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:50 am
View Likes
Sunflowerdemon3712 wrote a review...



Sunflower here for a review!

When I tell you that this poem made me cry I really do mean it. This poem conveyed deep emotion of seeing people hurt so beautifully, like it gave me goosebumps. I love the idea of the sun being sad for us. Of course I don't like the sun beine sad but as in the idea of the poem is all. I also think it's cool you used the sun instead of the moon, because in all the poems I've ever read I feel like people always lean towards the moon when talking about human suffering. Maybe it's because the moon is closer but I have no clue! Any way that not the point of my review, the point of my review was to tell you that I wish more people could see beautiful work because you definitely deserve it and I wish more people could read things like this because I feel like so many think poetry is boring but it's things like this that would prove them otherwise. I think that's all I really have to say other than once more stating I love love love this poem and I'd love to see more of you work! Thank you for reading my review and I hope you have a great day/night, much love from sunflower bye!


Tldr: I loved this so freaking much, and I tlak to much!




D says...


Hey Sunflower! I love your name!

I'm so sorry for the late reply.

Aw I'm sorry it made you cry as that wasn't my intention but at the same time I'm humbled you found it so emotive. I get that! It's also partly why I chose the sun - like an idea that sometimes the brightest person may also be the saddest...
Thank you so much! That means a lot to me!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review! This just made my day!

Have a great day/night!

-D



User avatar
995 Reviews


Points: 324
Reviews: 995

Donate
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:50 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



This is a fun poem! I like how it gives off the feeling of victory and hope.Like no matter what happens there will still be hope for a better future.There’s always tomorrow.It’s just like Annie from the musical said “The sun will come out tomorrow.” I’m an Annie fan haha.I really like this.I hope you have a nice day/night.




D says...


Hey vampricone6783!

I'm glad you found it fun! Ooh, I'd love to check that out! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review!

Stay safe and happy!

-D



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 33
Reviews: 105

Donate
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:47 am
View Likes
fatherfig wrote a review...



Hey it's Gem. I am a bit rusty at reviewing but I will do my best.

Things that caught my eye.

Well mourn me not is just an interesting title. It made me immediately curious. The first stanza is also very artistic. Though the line drunk with perplexion was just chef's kiss. Then you have an oxymoron oh how much I love those !! Magical realism is just so enchanting sounding! My favorite part would have to be the last two lines however very uplifting and inspiring.

Constructive criticism/ advice

You have every right to ignore this but maybe you can find some help here. The line with forthcoming is nice and not redundant but it does start with for so it kind of steps on it's own toes it feels like you predict the last word before reading it which is great if you want that effect but personally I like surprises!🙂

The word quotidian is bound to make someone pull up a dictionary, so if you don't like the disconnect you could find a more common word or you could keep it and inadvertently or maybe purposefully teach a few people a new word!

I would love to see you try lower case poetry without punctuation, your writing voice is just beautiful.

Other than that I don't have any other nitpicks haha.

Keep writing and being cool!

This is Gem leaping back into the dragon's den.😉🤘




D says...


Hey Gem!

I'm so glad to hear that! Oxymorons are super fun to use given they don't seem out of place, haha!

I'm always open to constructive criticism! Yeah, that makes sense - thank you! It isn't the first time someone's told me that, haha! I like using new words but I get what you mean. Maybe polishing the context might help? But it's definitely something to think about either way!

Aw thank you! I believe I've written one before on my blog. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out - https://myrandomspecificthoughts.wordpr ... old-youth/

Thank you so much for your feedback and for taking the time to read and review! It was super helpful!

Have a lovely day/night!

-D



fatherfig says...


The poem was indeed beautiful thank you for sharing!




They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain