z

Young Writers Society



Two - Tied To A Brick.

by Cow


I had just woken up,

Oh, how I wanted to go back to that bliss.

That emptiness of comfort.

But no.

Now I am left,

Crying and panicking,

Even if no one can see it.

You have destroyed me.

I can't wait to be free,

You have crossed so many lines.

Truly,

I no longer care for either of you.

I cannot wait to feel happy.

I cannot wait to dress how I want.

I cannot wait to exist,

Without feeling like I'm just a brick with rope, 

Stuck at the bottom of a lake.

Waiting to be found.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 6160
Reviews: 158

Donate
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:11 am
Hkumar wrote a review...



Hi cow!

I am here for a quick review. Your poem had a lot of strong emotions coming out and I liked how you made two conflicting emotions. The one's aligned in the middle sort of revealed more about the inner suppressed feelings. I guess they added more power to your poem. I liked this idea of using the metaphor of brick with rope stuck at the bottom of a lake. I mean I always get that sort of negative feeling so I could relate with it.

The line where you mentioned about dressing made me realise of what the idea behind this could be. It can be really frustrating to be judged and follow the rules that others think is important. We are often expected to meet the expectations of the society and our parents that makes our own choices get buried deep within us.

You have already mentioned about your choice for italicizing and bolding certain words that you wanted to put emphasis on them. I really like your style.

Overall it was a very intriguing piece and had a lot of powerful emotions. I am very impressed with your poem.

Great work!
Keep writing :)




User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44 am
View Likes
LittleLee says...



There's a lot of emotion behind this, Cow. It's powerful and moving.
Well done.




Cow says...


i mean i try my dude



LittleLee says...


<333333
[s]It's wonderful.[/b]



Cow says...


aH THANKS



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Cow,

there seems to be a lot of really heavy / intense emotions behind this poem. I'm sorry if real events inspired them, and I'm hoping writing this poem allowed you to process things a bit. Poetry definitely always helps me in doing that.

As for a review -

I think that the formatting did not help communicate the intensity, but instead the use of different alignments and the mixture of italics and bold felt a bit gimmicky. I half-expected all the bolded-words to spell out something, but couldn't really find a good reason for all of them to be emphasized. The thing with emphasis marks is it's like exclamation marks. One! will leave an impression. But ! if !! you!! start !! using them all! the time!! they stop having any meaning. Hopefully that makes sense.

I think it's good that the conflict turns towards specificity and you tell the reader pretty directly what the problem is - > a lot of mournful poems sort of dance around the problem and then it's hard as a reader to have empathy with the speaker. You state the problem as feeling despair because the speaker can't dress how they want - but you don't really link this to the very heavy themes of almost suicide / heavy depression in the last stanza. I think there needs to be a clearer transition of how not being able to wear something led to that heavy emotion. My thought is that perhaps the speaker wants to present their gender in one way, but they're being told to dress another way? I can't imagine why any other issue of dressing would cause so much upheaval. I think some of the details could definitely be filled in, because the end sounds a bit overly dramatic with out those missing links.

The metaphor of a brick is one I've read before, but definitely works to communicate what you're saying and I like that you used that image both at the beginning and end as this added some continuity to the piece.

Hope this gave you some pieces to think on! Best of luck in all of your poetry writing, and I do hope you are feeling better!

- alliyah




Cow says...


Thank you! The things i have stated are identical to what i have been told over and over by parents, so it gets pretty draining after a while. Thank you!!!



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 3092
Reviews: 16

Donate
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:05 am
View Likes
Dragonthorn wrote a review...



Greetings fellow writer, I'm Thorn, and I'll be reviewing for you today.

Overall meaning is executed greatly with the metaphors, but I believe that your formatting choices take away from everything as your eyes go from here to there, it's extremely confusing with how it's all set up. I can read through the feelings that are voiced, yet it doesn't feel as strong because of the childish layout. It's not exactly childish, but in a way it's not totally adult like with everything.

---->"Without feeling like I'm just a brick with rope"

->That is some good description. It's more meaningful than the other stanzas because of the language and the voice. It's more relatable, and it's written differently because of the metaphor used, which is powerful, but I also feel like it's strangely worded.

---->Some words are italicized, which is awfully confusing. I don't think it's necessarily needed because it's written fine without the choice of drawing attention. It's similar to the layout, not that bad, but still awkward.

->Some examples are "truly" and "see" along with others. I don't believe that it is needed, but your choice.

Ask about anything weird.

Catch you later.




Cow says...


Thank you! I like your name, it reminds me of Skyrim! I have certain words bolded and italicized beause they are important to the stanza, while the stanzas in the center are more negetaive and are me talking about what the two people did.



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 2406
Reviews: 43

Donate
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:34 am
View Likes
Cow says...



@LittleLee @Gravitem

Another vent, so yay, I guess.




LittleLee says...


<3333
PM if you need to talk.




A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon