z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Valen: Chapter 1.1

by Carina


The pulpas would use their weapons to attack, but in a flash, they became a pile of blood and bones. The metal tanks were warped and slung out of the way. The night sky was lit up and thick with red. The smell of flesh blood tasted raw and metallic. They killed everyone. Every last one of them, because—

Evaline awoke on a chair with a desperate big breath of air, feeling sweaty and disoriented. “The Order,” she whispered through her panicked breaths, closing her eyes again to remember the faces. 

How? How did it come to this?

“Status report, Evaline,” an impatient voice said through the intercom.

Without wasting another second, she swiftly pressed the intercom button. “Time’s down. The strategy is a no-go.”

“How disappointing. Plans will be set to change.”

The conversation ended. Seconds and minutes ticked by, but Evaline did not move. The sights of murder no longer clouded her vision like it used to, and she was not at the slightest bothered by it. 

We used to be best friends, she thought. 

How did it come to this?

Mel twiddled with her thumbs and fidgeted uncomfortably as silence enveloped the wet and musty elevator around her. Two burly guards were standing very close next to her, quiet and standing very still while the rusty elevator was slowly descending. An excruciating two whole minutes had passed, and the only sound was the screech of metal against metal.

“How far away is it?” she yelled.

“What did you say?” the younger guard yelled back. Mel never did catch his name, even though he escorted her through her whole journey.

“I said, how far down is this place?” she attempted to yell louder, but was disrupted by turbulence in the elevator that nearly caused her to lose her balance.

Instead of answering her question, the man, who held his ground perfectly through the turbulence, dismissed her question and held a straight look forward. Another minute passed by in silence, and Mel began to notice the smaller things: the weird flickering of the yellow light, the smell of wet rock, the narrowness of the tunnel they were descending, the annoyance of the guards—

She felt a jab on her chest and practically heard the scowl coming across the older guard’s face. “Stop that,” she vaguely heard him say as he looked up into the lights.

“What? Oh,” Mel said as she looked back up at the lights, noticing that it stopped flickering. This reminded her of the many times this past year someone had come up to her, shocked while asking, “How did you do that?” if she found herself dazing off into a light source, and she had no idea what they were talking about. Ironically, that was the main reason she was coming down here in the first place.

After another minute of silence between the three of them, the elevator stopped with a loud clank, and suddenly everything was too quiet. Mel stood on her tiptoes to peek out the open panel, and she was disappointed that she saw exactly what she expected: a tunnel with even more rocks.

“Wait,” the older guard said before she stepped out. “Before you go, we need to see you demonstrate your vale.”

“Is this really necessary?” the younger guard said. “We’ve been with her the whole week, and she even just now used it.”

The older guard seemed to suppress a smile, as if he was used to hearing this from his less experienced comrades. “It’s protocol. You know how they are.” He gestured to Mel, nodding. “Go on, then. Use your vale on this light right here.”

He pointed at the strip of very old light bulbs glowing an orange tint that was barely illuminating the tunnel they were in. Mel lived in the pulpa areas of Sector 4, and even she knew that these bulbs were very outdated—to the era of humans, even.

“Okay,” she said, concentrating on one bulb in particular. Without spending too much thought on it, the light flickered just like it did in the elevator. But deciding this didn’t justify what she could do, Mel thought of a lush green color that reminded her of the peaceful forests she ran through as a kid, and before she knew it, she was surrounded in that color, even though it provided a false sickly-green luminescent glow instead.

“Wow, kid,” the younger guard said, examining his hands and the green tint that enveloped him. “You’ve got natural talent at your age. You can step out now.”

Mel looked away from the source and suddenly the room went back to its normal monochromatic color scheme, leaving her feel a pang of sadness for having to leave her home to this. The three of them walked further down the tunnel that seemed to get darker, wetter, and smellier. It only made her more and more homesick.

“Is this the Capital?” Mel blurted out.

The two guards laughed and shook their heads. “No,” the younger guy said. “Well, yes. You’ll see.”

They walk down the tunnel some more, which was getting narrower and narrower. The younger guard kept on jabbering about how great the Sector 3 Capital was: “You’ll love it here. You’ll have a lot of freedom to control the light. It’s small, but we are a close-knit community, which is unlike all of the other Capitals.”

I doubt it, Mel thought in her mind as they continued to walk forward. The tunnel was getting narrower, warmer, and shorter. Then suddenly, she literally saw the light at the end of the tunnel; it was a narrow opening with bright white light enveloping the hole, and she found herself walking faster behind the guard she was following. Perhaps it was her instinct or maybe it was her vale, but the light seemed to beckon her to come closer.

“Slow down, kid,” the older guard in front of her said, stopping mere steps away from the light. At this point, the wall and ceiling of the tunnel was so narrow that only one person can walk at a time. “Watch your head here. The opening is even shorter than you are.”

She wrinkled her nose as a drip of water fell on her forehead. “What’s over there?” Mel asked curiously, peeking behind him but seeing nothing but bright light.

“See for yourself,” he answered instead, crawling in the hole and then calling for her to follow.

The younger guard behind her lightly pushed her forward. “Go on, then,” he said with a mischievous grin. “And welcome to the Sector 3 Valen Capital.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
275 Reviews


Points: 15319
Reviews: 275

Donate
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:08 pm
elysian wrote a review...



wow there are lots of reviews on this but hi i'm here finally because i have time(????) I love how aesthetic this is hehe. let's go ahead and jump right in.

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

The pulpas would use their weapons to attack, but in a flash, they became a pile of blood and bones.


in chapter ones, I always like to single out the first line because it's one of the most important parts of this chapter. I wouldn't call this a bad first line, but I do think it could be improved on. I feel like first lines should be kind of vague, but this one for me is confusing almost? like who became a pile of blood and bones? like I feel like I understand what you're trying to say, but it took me a minute to grasp who was involved. Again, you don't have to change this xD just being nitpicky.

if that first paragraph is a dream, imo (and preference), it should be italicized. But that's just my preference so no worries.

okay but i love the beginning. it's super interesting and makes me wonder what happened with these characters. I wasn't crazy about the dream, i felt like it was too sudden and confusing for it to really matter?

“You’ve got natural talent at your age.


I feel like this is a perfect place to let the reader know how old she is, exactly. I have no clue right now if she's young or old. I think younger since she's surprised at her talent, but...how young? like kid young or twenties young?

I can definitely feel the dystopian vibe here, is that what's happening? I'm very interested in reading on for sure, so good job! My only complaint is tha† this is such a short first chapter...jk I just checked and saw there's parts so xD

great job iluuuu.

- del <3




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:49 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



CARINA OH HEY :D

So here I am! I'll submit this review for critique :) I haven't checked out your LMS thread because I want to know next to nothing about this novel before jumping in. Maybe it's a bit of a selfish decision--I just want to avoid spoilers.

I'm a bit iffy about the opening of the prologue. The events of the prologue happen AFTER a dream, and we all know that there's some writing advice that dream sequences are not a great idea because you have to get introduced to the characters twice. But there's no rule, and I will be like GO FOR IT if a dream fits. And I'll link here Wisterisa's article about prologues: To prologue or not to prologue Food for thought :)

My other quibble here is that I'm a bit confused in the dream--the dream is still the opening and it's not that good to be confusing in the opening, is it? Like the pulpas were ready to attack, and the next moment, they were all dead? I understand that something routed them but it felt so sudden (at least to me) that it was a bit startling.

I'm really interested by Mel's magic and I'm looking forward to see how it develops. Right now we're given only a snippet of it and I'm excited to see more, to see the capabilities of her powers. You told me in the PM that this is a coming-of-age story and I can already see hints of it. The way Mel is taken away from home and sent to a new place. It must be because of her powers! Do the government want to use her? *puts on speculation sunglasses* You said it is a dystopia so I'm predicting they might.

I'm not sure about her relationship with the guards! They ignore her and they talk to her, perfectly friendly, and ask her to demonstrate something. They act like cold-shouldering guards at first, then later friendly acquaintances...almost like friends! And I'm not sure how this is supposed to play out: is she a prisoner? Because I don't see why she'd come from home willingly. Or is she somebody special the government wants to treat well? Then it makes sense.

One final note: the description! In first drafts, I don't consider it too important for descriptions to brim with atmosphere and emotion--it's more important to get the bare bones down in my opinion. But I shall link Rosendorn's article here: Breathing emotion into scenes so that it may help you breathe in atmosphere into your descriptions in later drafts. I feel like a lot of it here is just stating what is here and what is there and ends up a tad dry, so maybe this is something to fine tune once you finish writing this :) But one description I liked a lot was the sickly green light and how it reminded her of home. It showed character and emotion and that, I felt, was the strongest part in this chapter.

I know my review is a bit critical, but I'm enjoying it a ton! What is the Sector 3 Valen Capital? Why is Mel sent there? Poor Mel. I NEED TO KNOW so I'll be proceeding on to later chapters. And I'm looking forward to see more of the guards. I hope Mel and the guards will be friends.

Also, could you add me to your ping list? Thank you! And I think that's all I've got to say! :D

-Ink




Carina says...


agsgsjsjhshs!!!! this is a great review!! and I will give this a proper reply very soon, stayed tuned



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:03 pm
View Likes
Omni wrote a review...



HI CARINA okay so I’m finally getting to this I’m so sorry this is so late lol

This is all gonna be a LOT of nitpicking because that’s what I do until I get bored and then I just do a lot of general stuff. (so like, you can tell when I get bored of reviewing in my reviews xD) but like, don’t be offended plsty you can rip me apart in my next LMS entry lol

First off can I just say how much I adore your use of graphics on your stories? I remember a poem of yours that was just marvelously done graphic-wise, and of course your drastic contributions of CAMP XD. These small additions to your story adds a professional flare to it. Your top graphic is something I would totally see in a science fiction novel as their chapter banners. Just add a “1” somewhere in there lol and you have something publishers would grovel over!

So, onto your first sentence, specifically this part here:

The pulpas would use their weapons to attack


This is just… really clunky. Like, it’s grammatically fine but it’s such a clunky first line. The rest of this first paragraph is fine, but like, this first part took me completely out of the story and I had to just look at that line for a bit to wrap my head around it. Maybe I’m dumb (read: yes im dumb :P ) but… I have no more words to add here so I’ll stop rambling.

So, regarding the prologue in general, I have to say I’m not too much a fan of just how, well, not vague this is, but something along the lines of how all over the place this is. The first paragraph is a nightmare, the second paragraph is her just waking up and we are introduced to “The Order”, the third paragraph is a vague thought (along with the last one) that maayyyy relate to the nightmare, but then suddenly a status report is needed. So I’m speculating here, but her dreams are important to the status report. It sets up a LOT of questions (which is how you do a prologue, so uhh well done xD) but it just feels like it doesn’t have a direction and is trying to tackle too many ideas at once. I was there in multiple write-ins where you admitted this was a long-gestating idea of yours and it felt like there was a lot to incorporate into this story. I can definitely feel that here. If/when you revise, I highly suggest that you meander more on one or two of these components instead of tackling all of them in such a short amount of time. I will admit that I really am not the best when it comes to reading something and deciphering it on the first time around, so take what I say with such a tiny grain of salt.

Mel twiddled with her thumbs and fidgeted uncomfortably as silence enveloped the wet and musty elevator around her. Two burly guards were standing very close next to her, quiet and standing very still while the rusty elevator was slowly descending.


Okay, so this starts off well! I like the descriptions in the first sentence (although I was a little put off by them at first, but you tread the tricky balance well).

You repeat “standing” and “very” here. Perhaps you could say:
Two burly guards stood uncomfortably close next to her

I would love to see more description here besides “very”. That’s a trap word, like “really”, which just doesn’t give a description. It actually takes away from what you were trying to say here! One of my absolute favorite Resources articles that I try to remind myself of every so often is this: Verbs Are The New Adjectives

So, verbs are such a strong tool to use when you just don’t know what to use. Instead of using weak adverbs or something like “were standing” you could find a powerful verb that would describe them better. I’m also gonna give you the same advice that you gave me xD I want to see more description of senses! Maybe Mel could smell their body odor they were so close, or maybe she could hear their breathing and that made her really uncomfortable. Something along those lines! I’m sure you’ll do amazing if/when you go through and write this again :D

“How far away is it?” she yelled.


Okay, so it caught me off guard that she yelled right here, until I read further. Perhaps you could put that the metal against metal was deafening or excruciating or something along those lines?

Another minute passed by in silence, and Mel began to notice the smaller things: the weird flickering of the yellow light, the smell of wet rock, the narrowness of the tunnel they were descending, the annoyance of the guards—


There’s the senses! I get that she’s kinda impulsive from this, and that you’re trying to make it obvious that she’s daydreaming. I would still like to see more of the senses before this.

This reminded her of the many times this past year someone had come up to her, shocked while asking, “How did you do that?” if she found herself dazing off into a light source, and she had no idea what they were talking about. Ironically, that was the main reason she was coming down here in the first place.


So, this seems abrupt to me. I can’t quite think of why this seems so… wrong? To me? But it seems so nonchalant. Looking back at this, I bet that’s just how Mel views it, but it still seems to brush aside something that screams important to me. This is just a personal thing though and not really a nitpick so take it how you will lol

The older guard seemed to suppress a smile, as if he was used to hearing this from his less experienced comrades. “It’s protocol. You know how they are.” He gestured to Mel, nodding. “Go on, then. Use your vale on this light right here.”


Oh gotcha, this explains it better for me. Ignore my last remarks xD

The two guards laughed and shook their heads. “No,” the younger guy said. “Well, yes. You’ll see.”


So the guards seem like actual nice people here, but I didn’t get that at all from the beginning of this chapter? From them ignoring her question and then prodding her to stop her vale (right before they told her to perform a demonstration??) made it seem to me that she was in some kind of trouble and what she was doing was prohibited. But, now, it’s not? And they are in a small part of awe for her talent?? I am getting such mixed signals from this part and the earlier part of the chapter.

I like the ending! It fits well with the last two/thirds of this chapter xD

So, I feel a dissonance here. I won’t comment anymore on the prologue bit because I feel I already said all I wanted there, but the first half of chapter one and the second half have two different tones here. Like, it seems like the first half was written by Sad!Carina who viewed the guards as really inapproachable people and Mel as being in trouble and the second half was written by Optimistic!Carina that had a still nervous but comforted Mel and drastically nicer guards. Mel seemed pretty consistent (nervousness makes poor of most situations) but that guards aren’t. Is that just Mel’s perception of them through the writing? If so, I’m not sure I quite got that here. All in all though you have me sufficiently impatient for the next chapter :D




Omni says...


Whoops I realize this sounds like I didn't like this chapter but I really did whoops



Carina says...


ALSO LATE TO REPLY LOL BUT THANK U FOR THE REVIEW!!! also it takes a lot to get me offended (like, you'd have to be hateful or harass me or be a creep wHicH u aren't except maybe the creep when u stalk lololol)

The whole yell/silence thing, prologue being confusing, and my weird obsession with the word "very" lol was brought up by other reviewers so def working on that. I thought your thought on the story being divided by sad!carina and optimistic!carina (heh heh) was v interesting and I didn't even realize that. I was trying to go for the mood that Mel was taken from her home to come to this place, but she wasn't super opposed to it and the guards are just doing their duty, albeit annoyed that they have to help a lil girl lol. WHOOPS I MADE IT SOUND LIKE SHE GON GO TO PRISON

but yeah ty ty ty, interesting perspective and if I ever do rewrite this, I'll clean up this mess of a chapter lolz

OH YEAH and another thing about the prologue. Dunno if you can tell, but the second banner is the same as the first banner. I guess I'll say...this story won't fully be chronological, but you'll be able to tell when you're out of present time by looking at the banner. So basically, I gave the reader a snippet of the end, then started with the beginning. It def is confusing and imma work on that, but scenes like these will happen like five more times until it reaches the end, and it all makes sense. SO LIKE, it ain't really a typical prologue, because if it is, then there will be five more of them scattered in the story lol

but in this case, this one is a prologue. idk my brain is fried right now so idk wat im saying


JUST
THANK U ILU



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 1846
Reviews: 102

Donate
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...



I have no time to review but YAS.
Many questions but yes yes yes much likey
Okey bye frend moar chapters plez
c:




Carina says...


<333334 MILLION HARTS



TheBlueCat says...


<333333 harts 4 u 2 C:



User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 am
View Likes
soundofmind wrote a review...



CARINAAAA I AM HERE AND I FINALLY HAVE TIME TO REVIEW but I am also tired so please have mercy on me but I will try to be as helpful as possible

FIRST OFF I read Shady's review and it sounds like you applied a lot of the things they suggested in here, because I didn't see any of those issues (especially the very's lol). So wonderful job. Yeet. Okay so here are just some little nitpick things I guess?

Mel twiddled with her thumbs and fidgeted uncomfortably as silence enveloped the wet and musty elevator around her. Two burly guards were standing very close next to her, quiet and standing very still while the rusty elevator was slowly descending.


In these first two sentences you say elevator twice, and while it's really not terrible at all I wonder if there's a way for you to combine the "wet and musty elevator" with the "rusty elevator" because they both kind of speak to the same thing.

“How far away is it?” she yelled.


This could just be my very poor reading comprehension, but when I read yelled it kind of threw me for a loop lol and I was like... WHY SHE YELLING AT THEM. Then I read back at the metal against metal screeching part and I was like OHHHH I guess the screeching is super loud???? Idk if I'm just dumb and didn't pick up on that at first, but maybe you could also throw in another adjective to let us know that uh, the screech is barely loud enough to talk over or whatever words you wanna use? If only for the dummies in the world like me. :,)

the weird flickering of the yellow light, the smell of wet rock, the narrowness of the tunnel they were descending (into?), the annoyance of the guards—


This part was just a little confusing for me because I couldn't really envision where the tunnel was? I guess I thought they were still in the elevator? Does she mean tunnel as in the uhh tunnel the elevator is traveling down/being lowered into? I guess where I got confused is when the other tunnel comes in too that they walk down. But here they're descending... a tunnel. I guess if you mean that the elevator is very small and tightly packed because the tunnel it's traveling town is small maybe you could even mention that up where she says the guards are smushing her cuz they're close on either side? Like, to explain why its such a tight fit. IDK lol. Maybe it actually does make sense and I'm... me.

They walk down the tunnel some more, which was getting narrower and narrower.


Starting from about here in the next three paragraphs you mention that the tunnel is getting more and more narrow and that it's narrow narrow a lot lol. Idk if you wanna pull out the thesaurus but I felt like in my imagination by the time you said it was getting narrower the third or fourth time I was like... but CAN IT GET ANY MORE NARROW????? IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE???? WON'T THEY GET SMUSHED??? LOL BUT I KNOW YOU WANT TO COMMUNICATE THAT IT GETS GRADUALLY SMALLER and I know at some point the dudes go from walking on either side of her to in front and behind so maybe you could use that as a way to show instead of tell us that it's getting more narrow? Since I think it wasn't like... directly mentioned. It was just like oh now there's a guard in front and behind. But uh yeah????????

OKAY WOW NOW THAT ALL OF THAT UHH STUFF IS OVEr like wow, geez soundofmind, who even r u I wanted to tell you that AAAAAAA!!!!! I REALLY LOVED THIS CHAPTER and I love love Mel!!! I love how she controls lights without even thinking about it cause she's bored and uncomfortable or whatever and I love the bit about her changing the lights to green and thinking of home. And getting homesick aghhhh my FRAGILE LITTLE HEART. She's precious.

And I love how she's just progressively getting less and less impressed with the Capital lol (even tho I know she hasn't seen it just yet). She's like "wow this place is cramped and wet and rusty this place sucks." Like "I LEFT HOME FOR THIS????? WHERE'S MY REFUND."

All that said I hope the Capital is actually really cool and impresses her or whatever. Or MAYBE it's just as dumpy as she thinks it is. That would be really sad for her tho. WHAT A DOWNER.

I also like the contrasting attitudes of the two guards - the older, more experienced, maybe a little condescending to his younger coworker guard. And the younger, slightly more talkative, guard. It helped w/the interactions a lot and it was very good yes. Quite.

But okay.......... that OPENER THOUGH. LIke CARINA what kind of the hECK of foreshadowing is that CARINA YOU CAN'T JUST DO THAT TO ME I WANTED THIS TO BE A HAPPY STORY BUT NOW I KNOW THINGS GO BAD AT LEAST FOR EVALINE AND they're ???? Doing war simulations or something???? Being desensitized to blood and war?????? What is happening to Evaline??? WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER AGHHH I NEED to KNOW!!!! DON'T TELL ME THOUGH DON'T SPOIL ME!

Like heck. That beginning left me with so many questions unanswered. Like, who is THE ORDER and WHERE ARE THEY so I can PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE cause I'm pretty sure they're brainwashing people or SOMETHING.

.......Anyway I'm...... done. I loved this chapter and I want loads more. Feed me Carina, I crave de la crave more. I want that sweet, sweet, coming of age story.

Bless u and keep it up, because this is great. Big luv <3 And I'm proud of my wafer




Carina says...


sound sOund SoUnD SOUND WHY ARE U AN AMAZIN WAFR I WILL FOREVER LIVE FOR UR REVIEWS <4

ok so first, LOL I actually didn't even edit the stuff that Shady mentioned yet but yes I am v gud I will take ur compliment and definitely pretend that I applied it yes thnk u vry much i werk hard cant u tell if only the lms department pays me overtiem

but BIG THANKS for pointing out my obsession with the words elevator and narrow lol bruh I didn't even notice and apparently I say very a lot too wuts rong w me WHY IS MY ENGLISH BECOMING BASIC. but srsly, I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't mention it so I'm def gonna watch out for repetitive words next time, just u w8. BUT YEAH, I don't think I made the silence scene clear enough since it's been mentioned in the other reviews WHOOPS so it's not just u my frand u r not a dumdum!!!!!1

also

She's like "wow this place is cramped and wet and rusty this place sucks." Like "I LEFT HOME FOR THIS????? WHERE'S MY REFUND."


lololol YES EXACTLY HEH HEH HEH

BUT EEEKKKKKKKKKK I'M GLAD U LIKED IT THANK U THANK U THANK U THIS WAS SO HELPFUL <33333333333millionharts



soundofmind says...


<3 <3 !!!!! OMG LOLOLOLOL *sweats* does that make me look like a bad and unobservant reviewer? omg, ,,,

AND LOL IT'S NO WORRIES MAN. I just point it out b/c it's one of the things I constantly have to fix in MY writing lol, so I always ,, ,notice repeated stuff lololol

AND AAA I'M GLAD THIS WAS HELPFUL YOU ARE VERY WELCOME!!! BIG LUV <3 <3 AND YES I LUV THIS



User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:50 am
View Likes
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hey @Carina! Thanks for the ping! I'm so excited about this concept.

First things first - I know that this is LMS and it's a first draft and you're unlikely to be looking for super in depth criticism at this point because your focus is going to be on writing the rest. So I'm going to give you a few thoughts but I absolutely 100% appreciate that you mightn't much be looking for them, and that things may change radically before you come back to edit this, but anyway here they are!

Someone once told me to never start a story with a dream, because it's the oldest trick in the book. I don't think that this is necessarily the case here, but boy I found the prologue pretty confusing. Obviously that will improve as the story goes on, we find out what pulpas are, we find out who Evaline is, etc etc. I'm intrigued by the friendship lines at the end of the prologue but otherwise, it didn't do so much for me in comparison to Chapter 1. Which was great! Mel seems like a fun protagonist, I'm intrigued about what's going on, and your introduction to the vale was great. I really only have a few remarks about Chapter 1:

- you mention silence twice even though there's metal screeching, and then when the screeching stops, you mention unbearable quiet. I just think there's no good using the word silence when there's no silence. Lack of conversation, sure, silence, no.

- I liked the introduction to the vale, but I felt like if I didn't know any better then I would assume that everyone is able to control the light. I guess that'll become apparent as the story goes on.

- from this, and her interaction with the guards, it's unclear what Mel's position is. Is she a prisoner, or a guest of honour, or a bit of both? I just couldn't get a handle on it and while, again, that'll become apparent as the story goes on, I just couldn't quite get a grasp on it and it bothered me.

Otherwise, I really liked this and I'm super excited about this story and looking forward to reading more. Will you ping me? :)

- Stella x




Carina says...


STELLA YES OF COURSE YOU CAN GET AS MANY PINGS AS YOU WANT. <3

This was a helpful review, so thank you thank you and many thanks! It seems like everyone was confused about the silence/lack of conversation part, so I'm definitely going to have to make that more clear if I ever edit this. Also, good point about how readers might think vale is the ability to control light; that didn't even occur to me. I'm treating this chapter as a vague-ish introduction to vale without info-dumping the reader, but they'll read enough to have a general understanding of it. Kind of. I hope I wasn't too vague. xD

Very good question about what Mel's position is, and once again, good point! I'd answer, but it'll become obvious in Chapter 2. :P (lol she does kinda seem like a prisoner here, though.... WHICH KINDA MAKES SENSE, if you knew what I knew. imeanwhat)

So about the prologue -- there will be more instances like these (introduced by the same banner) sprinkled every so often, taking place in the same time period. So the beginning is totally confusing now, but it'll piece together later, if that makes sense?? Pulpas were not discussed here, but they will be somewhat discussed in the next chapter. Still, do you think it's risky to mention terms that are not explained in the first chapter?

Speaking of which, as you know, it's a coming-of-age story. So PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you think I'm not playing Mel's (and rest of characters, introduced later) age right! She should be around 14-ish now... I think. It might actually be 13. I'll figure this out in chapter 2 next week LOL. But yeah, I'd love to hear what you and others think about this because, chances are, I would't even notice if they act out of their age.

A MILLION THANKS AGAIN <3



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Carina!

Happy to see that you've jumped on the LMS wagon even tho you didn't even bother to tag me in your post announcing this, that's fine I GUESS. I suppose I will overlook that blunder, however, and give this a review anyway ;) Let's get started...

The night sky was lit up and thick with red.


Hmm... I feel like I have a vague idea of what you mean here -- essentially "lots of dying and blood" and such, but "thick with red" is a little confusing to get a firm grasp on which imagery, exactly, you're trying to convey to us here.

The smell of flesh blood tasted raw and metallic.


Flesh blood? Do you mean fresh blood? Or flesh and blood? Or something? I've never heard of flesh blood lolol.

Two burly guards were standing very close next to her, quiet and standing very still while the rusty elevator was slowly descending.


So... things that I've read about writing say not to use the word "very" because it's a weak descriptor. Like something isn't "very pretty" it's "beautiful" or something isn't "very painful" it's "excruciating" you know? Like trying to find stronger words to take the place of needing to use "very" in your prose. I, personally, try to avoid it myself -- but I'm not overly concerned if it pops up here and there, I think very's can be okay. But you have two in one sentence here, and I'm not loving that.

Maybe you could try to use this as a "show don't tell" moment and eliminate at least one of the very's? Kill two birds with one stone ;)

The guards could be looming over her. They could be standing still as statues. Etc. you feeling me? Find another way to describe the scene to eliminate one if not both of the very's.

“I said, how far down is this place?” she attempted to yell louder, but was disrupted by turbulence in the elevator that nearly caused her to lose her balance.


But... but you said it was silent. Twice you mentioned the silence of the elevator. However this makes it seem very very shut up I get to use that word cause I'm reviewing not writing :P noisy. So, which is it? I get by silence you probably mean no one is speaking -- but at first that's not how it comes across.

My first mental image was of them in like a quiet office building, the elevator being completely and utterly awkwardly silent, with her being caught in the middle of two stone-faced grumpy guards. Now this mental image has me seeing her in a really noisy grinding clattering elevator that doesn't feel safe. Both are good pictures -- but they are directly in contrast with one another and I'm not 100% sure which one is right (though I assume the noisy one is closer, at this point).

He pointed at the strip of very old light bulbs glowing an orange tint that was barely illuminating the tunnel they were in. Mel lived in the pulpa areas of Sector 4, and even she knew that these bulbs were very outdated—to the era of humans, even.


Hiss. Kill the very's. Also, they feel a bit unneeded here in the first place. I mean you could swap "very old" for ancient or whatever, but I think just leaving it as "outdated" rather than "very outdated" works pretty well -- especially since you add in "to the era of humans, even" at the end. That last little bit after the dash gives us a good feel for a futuristic setting and I think would make your point quite well without the very.

Mel thought of a lush green color that reminded her of the peaceful forests she ran through as a kid, and before she knew it, she was surrounded in that color, even though it provided a false sickly-green luminescent glow instead.


OOOOoooooOOhhh. I like this a LOT. I don't know why I like it so much even xD But it's so nice. I really like this mental image of the electricity changing colors with her moods/thoughts. So cool.

leaving her feel a pang of sadness for having to leave her home to this.


This bit is a little confusing. Do you mean "to this" as in a "it has come to this!" sort of doom and gloom sort of way. She left her home and now her home ended up like this. Or do you mean it more like a "she left her home to come to this" sort of way?

I doubt it, Mel thought in her mind


Where else would she be thinking? I'd be concerned if she was thinking in someone else's mind ;)

~ ~ ~

Okay! Hope that review wasn't too critical. Despite all my nitpicks, I really did thoroughly enjoy this chapter. But me just fangirling about how good it is isn't super helpful... plus it wouldn't be a real Shady review without a high dose of cynicism and snark. ;)

Seriously, though, I do think this is a really good start to your novel. The pulpa thing confused me, and even by the end of the chapter I don't know what that means, which I'm not sure is a great thing. Also the "vale" I think I have a vague understanding of what it is -- but it definitely needs some fleshing out.

I do like your pacing in this chapter. You had some nice fluttery emotions going on, gave some pretty awesome characterization -- and ended us with a cliffhanger that isn't too jarring but still adds enough anticipation that I want to read on and see what happens -- so well done with that!

I'm running out of helpful things to say, so I'll end this review here -- but feel free to keep me updated when you post more of this. No guarantees I'll be able to follow once grad school gets started, but I'm willing to make the attempt if you're willing to actually tag me ;p

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




Carina says...


OMGMGGMGMG SHADY THIS WAS A VERY (lol) HELPFUL REVIEW YOU HAVE NO IDEA, YOU DESERVE 3 MENTIONS NEXT TIME OKAY I DIDN'T KNOW IF YOU'D BE INTERESTED BUT HECK I WAS WRONG EEEEEKKKKKZ

I honestly had no idea how often I used the word 'very', so thank you for that! It's one of those things you don't notice until someone points it out. :p I will for sure keep this in mind next time! (it's been so long since I've written for fun lol I think all the bullcrap words to get to the word limit from English classes have been leaking out of me)

And the elevator point -- also didn't realize that most people would probably think of a stereotypical office elevator, even though it was far from that. THESE ARE HELPFUL THINGS I MUST KNOW ABOUT OK KEEP THEM COMING

I'm glad that the vale thing kind of makes sense; I didn't want to throw an info dump, so I'm going to reveal it little-by-little. Same with the pulpas. So you're introduced to them right now, but just the terminology. I realize it can be like "wtf is this" but it'll make more sense in the future. Unless you think I shouldn't hint at them at all?? They will come up as an important point for the next chapter, but they won't be talked about in a ton of detail just yet. I'm takin' a nice and slow pace for this story lol one layer at a time

BUT THANK YOU THANK YOU AND A MILLION THANK YOU'S! I may actually edit some of this stuff tomorrow because you bring up some really good points (and I made a typo you pointed out lol whoops) SO AHHHH TYTYTY I WILL UPDATE YOU (three times, mark my words) NEXT TIME OK SHADY U DA BOMB DIGGITY



Shady says...


Hahaha I'm glad it was helpful <3

I dunno about the pulpa question just yet -- I'm going to have to read the next chapter before I can advise about whether it's more or less confusing to have them mentioned here... tho just now trying to write "pulpa" it keeps getting typed/pronounced in my brain as pupa. Probably just my zoology brain going wild but I keep thinking of little maggot creatures and it's weird lol.

But yis, def do the heckin' tag for me next week ;)




Love is so short, forgetting is so long.
— Pablo Neruda