z

Young Writers Society



Unto the Darkness part II

by CaptainFinick


Unto the Darkness

Number Two

The Lady in the Lake

DCI Vile looked out into the distance where the water of the lake laystill and silent with the gloomy sky reflected in it's dark beauty. After a long silence Hannah finally decided to speak.

"Can I just ask why I'm being replaced as leader of this case?" she asked calmly.

Vile glanced at her briefly then relocated his gaze back to the horizon "Because I said so. And what I say is law."

Hannah narrowed her eyes briefly. When she finally did speak her voice was laced with annoyance "And why did you 'say so'?"

Vile glanced back at her again and there was a look of surprise on his face. "Listen, DI Granger, I don't have to answer to you. I took a look at the case and decided I might like to take a look at it. Now as I happen to be your superior you will listen to what I say and accept it! Thank you, bye bye." Vile looked back and his eyes met the young female PC "What's she still doing here?"

"N... nothing" the PC quietly stuttered "Sorry..." and she tottered off.

Hannah looked to Vile and she could feel her annoyance growing and throbbing.

"You didn't have to speak to her like that!" Hannah said coldly her eyes fixed in such a strong gaze on Vile that they might just burn holes through his back.

"I didn't have to speak to her at all!" Vile exclaimed "She should consider it a courtesy!"

Hannah waved her hand in the air "Whatever, can we just get on with this please!"

Vile briefly clenched his lips "Fine."

"Thank you!"

Hannah knelt down beside the body once again while Vile looked into the distance. MAny possibilities were rushing thorugh their minds.

"You aren't thinking murder are you?" Hannah asked her voice low.

Vile chuckled briefly, "Nah. Probably pissed up, tripped and fell. So pissed she couldn't swim and then drowned. Washed up here later."

"And that's what you're thinking!" Hannah exclaimed.

Vile nodded and Hannah couldn't help thinking that he was all too full of himself. Nevertheless she decided that she might as well listen to him. He hadn't gotten to become a DCI with idiot theories. There must be, at the very least, some inteliigence to what he was saying.

Hannah was about to speak when she noticed something. A hint of something in Vile's eye. As if he had seen something. He moved and walked further up the edge of the river. He bent down and grabbed something; holding it tightly in his hand. As Vile stood back up Hannah spoke, "What is that?"

Vile extended his arm towards Hannah and revealed what he was holding. It was an oval shaped locket made of gold with a long chain dangling over the side of Vile's hand. Other than the large ruby in the centre of the locket there was little else that was noticable about it apart from the mud that it was caked in.

Hannah gently plucked the beautiful piece of wormanship from Vile's hand and opened it. Inside of the locket was a picture of the girl. Her face was happy and her cheeks were blushed and a smile of pearly white teeth was spread across her face. Her hair was thick and beautiful and her eyes were bright and filled with life. The same could not be said for the dead body lying on the edge of the river.

"The chain's broken." Vile said "Like it's been ripped off her neck."

"What are we thinking?" Hannah said "Mugging?"

"Oh of course a mugging!" Vile exclaimed sarcasticaly "Because all muggers leave what they were trying to take in a river!"

"Murder, then." Hannah suggested.

Vile shrugged. Mere moments later a tall PC was approaching them and entered teh conversation briefly.

"Coroners here." the PC said "To pick up the body."

"Oh bloody joy." Vile muttered. The PC stayed still for a moment. But for Vile that was a moment too long and he loudly exclaimed "Come on, mush!!"

"Yes sir. Sorry, sir." the PC awkwardly replied before heading off and calling the coroner over.

"Let's let this lot move the body." Vile said to Hannah "Come on."

The two of them walked away from the body quietly, heading towards the swarm of police cars. They could hear the tiny waves of the lake lapping against the shore and a gentle breeze was whistling thorugh the air and ruffling the leaves of the trees. As they approached the cars Vile handed the locket to a PC, telling him ot put it in evidence, before continuing past the police cars.

As they walked through the forest of cop cars they saw a very different car behind them. It was a cute, red Audi TT RS Coupe with a tail fin and intricatly crafted alloys.

"Who's is that?" Hannah asked, bemused.

"Mine." Vile replied approaching the Audi and opening the door. He ben down and climbed into the car, starting the engine with a purr.

"Where are you going?" Hannah asked.

"Where else." Vile replied "We're done here for today. So... pub."

Vile reved the engine of the Audi and turned on the headlights sending a sharp beam of light slicing through the eery fog. He reved teh engine once more and then the car shifted. It began to slowly move and drove away with a loud roar of it's powerful engine...

"I can tell this is gonna be a fun case." Hannah said to herself...

TO BE CONTINUED


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:37 pm
Omni wrote a review...



Here to review!

My name is Omniyus, and I am working on a contest that you will help me through this story! Don't you feel accomplished? Oh, well you should.

Anyway, on to the reviewing part of this review. I will be reviewing this on two categories that I feel covers most everything I need to review this piece. One is grammar, which focuses on the mechanical side of the story. The other is storyline, which is much more opinioniated and influential.

So, onto Grammar:

Vile glanced at her briefly then relocated his gaze back to the horizon "Because I said so. And what I say is law."

I think this should have a comma after "the horizon."

I took a look at the case and decided I might like to take a look at it.

This sentence is extremely weird. And redundant. I think you might want to take another look at it.

Hannah asked her voice low.


This should have a comma after asked.

Overall, this was a fine piece in order of gramar. There a lot of simple mistakes, so you should just skim this over and try and fix them. I give this piece a 7 out of 10 on Grammar.

Storyline: This piece was a third person view type passage who talks about everyone's thoughts, which is extremely hard to do. Even so, this was a great and brazen attempt at it. It could be better, but it is fine as it is.

Frankly, though, this entire chapter is an arguement between two authority figures, which I was not pleased about. I have not read the first chapter yet, so I might after this. Make sure to tell me when the third chapter is out!

Overall, I give this chapter a 7 out of 10 in Storyline. Great story!

I hoped this helped.
Omniyus.




User avatar
662 Reviews


Points: 52441
Reviews: 662

Donate
Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:12 pm
dogs wrote a review...



Ok you start off a little odd, I like how Hannah is a little taken aback to why she's just being kicked off.. But I think Vile's reasons are a little weak still regardless. Also why does he decided to keep Hannah around if he just told her that she should leave and "bye bye." That seems a little flawed to me.

So Vile picks up the locket, but you never described him wearing gloves.. which seems entirely too unprofessional for someone as high as he is ranked. I would suggest you add in a quick description about that to take out some confusion. I understand your describing Vile as somewhat unprofessional but that would be too unprofessional. You need to walk a fine line of having Vile acting as though he deserves his ranking, but a tad unprofessional and comical at the same time.

"Come on, mush!"

Niiicceee! Love that line, quality character you're creating with detective vile.

Ok, so this part seems a little too short and rushed. I'm trying to think of what else you could put in here to make it a little more interesting. I'd like to see a little more attitude from Hannah instead of just letting Vile walk all over her. You have a few minor spelling errors, but thats mostly because you said "teh" instead of "the." So just read over you final draft before you submit to help solve those problems. I do it all the time. Alrighty thats all I really have to say, I'm curious to see how this is going to play itself out. Please send me a message once you posted your next chapter and I'd love to take a quick look over it. Keep up the good work!!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032





Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White