z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Annabelle Chapter 3: Mistakes

by Bluegirl135


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Annabelle Chapter 3: Mistakes

"Why the hell am I so stupid" Anna was contemplating what had happened with Drake, how stupid she was when she left Drake because Lewis called, god the things he does to her... She was laid there, on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. She felt like crying, screaming and punching a wall all at the same time. Anna got up off the bed and ambled over to her desk, opened up the top drawer, took out the picture of her and Drake and laid back down. As she began to stare at the photo, she realized how happy she was. That's when the tears came. Then there was a knock at her door Anna jumped, "crap my bruises." Anna looked into her phone and realized the bruises had faded.

"Yeah?"

"it's Payton"

"Oh, come in."

"You ok" inquired Payton

Anna looked up at Payton. She was balling at that point. "Ok stupid question, sorry..."

"No, it's fine" Anna sobbed.

Payton sat next to her on the bed, then held and comforted her. Anna put hands on her face and leaned on Payton. Anna didn't want a relationship right now and she especially didn't want to talk to Lewis. "Ding, ding, ding, ding..."

"Hey, who is it," questioned Payton

"It's, Drake?"

"You want some privacy?"

"Yeah please"

Anna stared at the phone for a moment. Her heart dropped, she didn't know if she was ready to talk to him yet. She watched her trembling hand press the answer button."Um , hello?"

"Hey, it's Drake can we talk"

Although she wasn't ready to talk to him she said yes, they agreed that he'd come over in an hour. Anna got up, changed out of her pj's and into some leggings and a jumper. She entered the sitting room, looked around, she did the dishes and cleaned down the sides. After she made the sofa neat, fluffed up the pillows and ordered a pizza.

"Hey, Payton,"

"yeah?

"Well, Drakes coming over to talk so I'm going to need the sitting room ok, and do you know when Jason gets back?"

"Uh that's ok and Jason doesn't get back until six, and it's only half past three so you've got plenty of time. Anyway, I'll just stay in my room."

"Oh, yeah, thanks."

Anna checked that the room was clean and tidy then she sat on the sofa and checked Facebook on her phone. Then she noticed a text, from Lewis. The text read "Hey you got to come over today around eight GOT IT!" Anna decided to reply saying "Ok I'll see you at eight." Anna was anxious to see Lewis again. "Knock, knock" Drake was here, her heart was in her throat. She opened the door... "Hey..."

"Hi Drake, come and sit down"

"Yeah ok"

The two sat on the sofa and began to converse.

"I'm sorry for everything I said when your first told me and I'm sorry for blowing you off,"

"Nah, it's ok. Anyway, how've things been?"

Anna and Drake, sat, chatting and laughing for a couple of hours. This was the first time Anna had felt close to him in a while. Friends she thought, friends sounds good. Anna thought that she and Drake were better off as just friends, she thought, it less complicated, less stressful, and less intimate. To Anna that sounded perfect as she wasn't ready to get intimate for the moment. She, for once in a while was happy.

"Hey I got to go, I've got a shift at work today,"

"yeah ok, I'll see you later,"

"bye."

Upon looking at the time Anna knew she had to go to meet Lewis, so she headed out. She stood at his door staring at the handle. Her eyes began to water. She knocked on the door, her whole body trembling. He opened the door, it was the same as last time. Lewis looked at her with his devil eyes. Quickly, he grabbed her hair and dragged her into his room. Going against her will, he beat her and forced her to get intimate, she was sobbing through it all. Eventually, he let her go at eleven o'clock. "Now we're finished you can get the fuck out." She ran out of that building sobbing. When she got back, she opened the door looked around and snuck towards her room. All of a sudden, Jason came out of the kitchen. "Crap," Anna thought. "Hey, what's wrong?" inquired Jason.

"Oh I-I um... It's nothing,"

"hey, come on, I know some things up, you can talk to me"

"I-I can't"

"well, at least have a drink with me, we haven't spoke properly for years"

"well, uh, fine."

The two sat down on the sofa with two bottles of whiskey (Jack Daniels to be exact). By one o'clock in the morning, Anna had almost drunk a full bottle, while Jason had only three shots. She was almost completely drunk.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine Jason, I'm just exhausted, and sad"

"Hey um, do you want to tell me the truth about earlier, come on what's going on ay?"

"Well, um I've kinda got myself into a fucked up situation, well kinda, its more of and abusive relationship, it's stupid, my fault..."

"Hey, what? Come on, please tell me? Who is it? What happened?"

"It's nothing, whenever he calls me I go over, otherwise, he comes over here, and I don't want him to come over here. When I see him he hits me and forces me to be intimate, but it's my fault. I met him when I was drunk and we were intimate that night, but it's my fault because of that first night I was getting over Drake, I wanted to do it. At first, it was just drunken love, but now I hate it."

"Hey come on, tell me who he is, Anna?"

Anna looked over at him, then she looked at the whiskey. Quickly she grabbed the bottle and finished it off. "Anna comes on, tell me..." Anna stared at her hands for a moment, then she looked at Jason. Her face was completely pale.

"Anna?" She looked at him she began to blink more and more. "Jason?" All of a sudden fell back, as she passed out.

"Anna? ANNA? SHIT! PAYTON, PAYTON, QUICK!"

Anna had fallen backward off the sofa. All she could hear was buzzing. She was tired, exhausted even. Her heart was pounding extremely fast, and it was difficult for Anna to breathe. "ANNA, ANNA COME ON GET UP? PLEASE ANNA!!" Exclaimed Payton.

"Ngh, wha-what"

"ANNA?"

"Wha-what?" Anna sat up, her head was pounding, her ears ringing, her vision blurred. She could barely see if it was Jason or Payton sat in front of her. However, it was neither of them.

"Thank god she's ok" sniffled Drake

Anna jumped, she could hear Drakes voice, she rubbed her eyes and looked up. There he was "H-hi Drake."

"Hey, are you ok,"

"Yeah, yeah I'm ok"

Drake came up close to Anna and leaned into a warm embrace. Anna felt like pausing the whole world just to enjoy the moment for a while longer. She was happy, content. "I'm so sorry for worrying you all, I'm super stupid..."

"No, no you're not, its fine, we all care about you no matter what!"

"Yeah," "defiantly" Payton and Jason agreed with Drake.

"Anyway, now you're ok, I have to go home, you know because it's like three am."

"Yeah see ya,"

"bye" "bye."

"Anyway you two, I'm off to bed."

"Night Payton," "yeah, night"

"Come on, I'll take you to bed, make sure you get there safely" Jason held Anna's hand and took her to bed. Jason began to practically tuck her in.

"Hey, come on, I'm not a kid"

"Wha-oh yeah sorry"

"Anna, you know something,"

"what Jason?"

"You, Annabelle after ten years, are still just as beautiful, still just as cute, still just as amazing..." Anna looked at Jason, as she began to blush.

"Jason, I'm not fifteen anymore, I'm twenty-five,"

"I know, and I'm twenty-seven, we know that what we want now, not like before when we used to mess around" explained Jason as he touched Anna's hair gently with his hand.

"Jason..." Anna knew she wasn't ready for a relation but she just couldn't hold back. Old emotions were running high, however, it wasn't like in high shool where it didn't matter. It did matter now. Jason pushed the sheets of her and climbed on top of her he began caressing and kissing her. "Jason..."

"Yeah?"

"I-I just realized how much I still love you" Jason began to take off her clothes, as Anna looked into his misty blue eyes.

"Remember, it's just like our first time,"

"yeah, very romantic" Anna had fallen in love with him all over again...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:59 am
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again! :D

Okay, the things I mentioned in the previous review about slowing down and making sure you're not doing too much in each chapter applies here as well. Instead of repeating myself (because that's not helpful), I want to give you some examples of how you could expand in places and what showing might look like here. And I also want to talk about your dialogue.

So showing and expanding. Let's look at your first paragraph:

"Why the hell am I so stupid"

I think this is a good opening line, but to differentiate thoughts from regular dialogue, I would recommend putting thoughts in italics. Also, I'll talk about this more later when we talk about dialogue, but you need punctuation after "stupid" and before the end quotation.

Anna was contemplating what had happened with Drake,

After you give us that thought, zoom out a bit and orient the reader to where we are. It doesn't have to be a big boring description of where Anna is, you can make it active like: "Anna paced her bedroom, contemplating what had happened with Drake." and then what does her room look like, is it messy because she's been so preoccupied with what's been going on with these boys? Is it super clean because she's been using that as a means to distract herself? Does she have a photo of herself with Drake sitting on her nightstand that reminds her of what their relationship was like before she found this news out?

how stupid she was when she left Drake because Lewis called,

You could show her feeling here. She feels stupid and horrible for leaving Drake after he confessed this huge thing to her just because Lewis called. How does she think this will effect her relationship with Drake (if it will)? How does she think he'll respond to what she did? Fester in her worry and her sorrow for a little while.

god the things he does to her... She was laid there, on her bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Then you can get deeper into her feelings about Lewis. How does she feel about the things he does to her? Why does she continue to go over there if she knows what's going to happen? And the part about her laying there on her bed, is that in reference to what she was doing when she was with Lewis or what she's doing now?

She felt like crying, screaming and punching a wall all at the same time.

Great identifying of her feelings! Now why does she feel this way? Is this in response to what happened with Drake, what happened with Lewis, or a little bit of both?

Anna got up off the bed and ambled over to her desk, opened up the top drawer, took out the picture of her and Drake and laid back down.

Great! Showing what she's doing. (I would start a new paragraph here though).

As she began to stare at the photo, she realized how happy she was.

Take me through this thought process a bit more. As she starts to stare at the photo, what immediately comes to mind for her. How does that thought change and develop to get her to the point of feeling happy?

That's when the tears came.

Describe these tears. Are they big fat crocodile tears or a few quiet tears rolling down her cheeks? And what sparked the tears? What is behind those tears?

Then there was a knock at her door Anna jumped, "crap my bruises."

This should be broken up into a few different sentences because you have a couple of different thoughts happening here. "There was a knock at her door. Anna jumped and thought, crap my bruises." Does she have any guesses about who could be at the door?

Anna looked into her phone and realized the bruises had faded.

What does she think now? Does she feel comfortable enough and safe enough to go open the door?

See how much just that one paragraph can be expanded by digging deep into her emotions and thought and showing the reader exactly what is going on? It takes practice, but it can be really effective :)

For the dialogue, you just need some more punctuation. Those rules can be a bit confusing but I think [url]http://theeditorsblog.net/2010/12/08/punctuation-in-dialogue/]this article[/url] does a really good job explaining how to do it.

I'll leave things there for now, but like I said in the previous chapter, I think this story has promise and I hope you continue to work on it (or another story)! Please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! :D




User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:01 pm
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello, Steggy here for a review!

I haven't read the previous chapters so if I say anything wrong that was covered in the previous chapters, let me know! The beginning of this chapter feels a bit lengthy, in my opinion. Even though it is the third chapter, I think the third chapter itself should show some type of conflict (which later on, it does). But, back to the beginning, I think it might be best if you shorten the beginning down to a few paragraphs. Even throughout your whole chapter, I don't see a bigger paragraph than the one in the beginning; it would also be best since it can keep everything consistent.
Another thing I noticed is this chapter is mostly just dialogue. Sometimes when a chapter is so thick with dialogue, it doesn't exactly go anywhere. You should balance the dialogue with some action when writing. It is just a bridge without a stable connection. Dialogue and action settle each other out in writing.

Another thing I like to point out is when you are writing dialogue, it should end with a period and be capitalized. A good way to see if there are mistakes much like the one I mentioned would be re-read your writing when done, that way you can find common mistakes without anyone pointing them out.
Also the action bit, when Anna and Lewis are fighting. It feels too "plain". In relationship fights, sure people scream and yell and throw each other on the wall, but the reader might not know that. Try explaining in little words possible or use description to show them fighting. Description gives the reader something to visualize when they're reading. Perhaps read up on some drama novels or research up online on tips to write action scenes.

Overall, this was a nice reading. It kinda reminded me of the Notebook because of the drama that was involved. Hopefully I'll see some good works from you later on.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy




Bluegirl135 says...


Hey thanks for commenting and I'll be sure to take in all of the advice. Anyway I've decided to take a break from this story for a little while I'm just not feeling it




News is not a game show. You don't win a car if you happen to be right.
— John Oliver