z

Young Writers Society



James Bond.

by BenFranks


Thumbs down to the Ian Fleming's original books, they're too slow in plot, but I love the man for inventing clearly the best thing in the world.



Thumbs up to the Young Bond series by Charlie Higson: They're some of the best books I've ever read in my sad little life :D I'd recommend them to ALL.



DOUBLE THUMBS UP to the movies. There's nothing better. Can't wait for Bond 23. :D


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
150 Reviews


Points: 5214
Reviews: 150

Donate
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 am
Ross wrote a review...



I'm a big fan of the movies. I've adored Daniel Craig the most, though. He just takes this smooth, suave, womanizing spy and turns him inside out. Major kudos to him there. Right now I'm in love with James Bond, only played by Craig, of course. ;)

I've read one original book. I agree with BenFranks' original post. It did get a bit "Jane Austen" at points. (For anyone who's interested, I read 'The Spy Who Loved Me'--terrific narrator.) But Bond was very sweet, although it did get a bit unrealistic at the sex scenes. (And no, I will not divulge details on a young writers' website.)

But, when James Bond lives, Ian Fleming lives. As previously said, the man is a genius.




User avatar
411 Reviews


Points: 42428
Reviews: 411

Donate
Sat May 29, 2010 7:12 pm
BenFranks says...



Charlie Higson is a genius.




User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 37408
Reviews: 182

Donate
Sat May 29, 2010 4:30 pm



Wow, the fellow was brutal even in his youth. :)




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 117

Donate
Sat May 29, 2010 4:20 pm
napalmerski wrote a review...



Hey, Aspiring, here's a sample of young bond http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 320572.ece




User avatar
261 Reviews


Points: 1639
Reviews: 261

Donate
Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm
Mr.Knightley wrote a review...



Bond movies = WIN! Haha, I love Casino Royale...one of my favorites. I guess you, me and Hope make a trio, huh Ben? ;)

Never read any of the books, but I picked up Casino Royale at the library, just because I had already seen the movie...I might try and read them one day.




User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 37408
Reviews: 182

Donate
Thu May 27, 2010 12:03 am



I can't seem to find the little Bond books anywhere.




User avatar
411 Reviews


Points: 42428
Reviews: 411

Donate
Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:48 pm
BenFranks says...



Haha, I do admit Fleming has his moments, but sometimes he can go a bit "Austen" on a situation. :)




User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 37408
Reviews: 182

Donate

User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 117

Donate
Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 am
napalmerski says...



I kinna resist the temptation to try and sway you Ben :D Here's the scorpion sequence from Diamonds are Forever. You gotta admit that only Flaming would begin a thriller like this.

***

WITH its two fighting claws held forward like a wrestler's arms the big pandinus scorpion emerged with a dry rustle from the finger-sized hole under the rock.

There was a small patch of hard, flat earth outside the hole and the scorpion stood in the centre of this on the tips of its four pairs of legs, its nerves and muscles braced for a quick retreat and its senses questing for the minute vibrations which would decide its next move.

The moonlight, glittering down through the great thorn bush, threw sapphire highlights off the hard, black polish of the six-inch body and glinted palely on the moist white sting which protruded from the last segment of the tail, now curved over parallel with the scorpion's flat back.

Slowly the sting slid home into its sheath and the nerves in the poison sac at its base relaxed. The scorpion had decided. Greed had won over fear.

Twelve inches away, at the bottom of a sharp slope of sand, the small beetle was concerned only with trudging on towards better pastures than he had found under the thorn bush, and the swift rush of the scorpion down the slope gave him no time to open his wings. The beetle's legs waved in protest as the sharp claw snapped round his body, and then the sting lanced into him from over the scorpion's head and immediately he was dead.

After it had killed the beetle the scorpion stood motionless for nearly five minutes. During this time it identified the nature of its prey and again tested the ground and the air for hostile vibrations. Reassured, its fighting claw withdrew from the half-severed beetle and its two small feeding pincers reached out and into the beetle's flesh. Then for an hour, and with extreme fastidiousness, the scorpion ate its victim.

The great thorn bush under which the scorpion killed the beetle was quite a landmark in the wide expanse of rolling veld some forty miles south of Kissidougou in the south-western corner of French Guinea. On all horizons there were hills and jungle, but here, over twenty square miles, there was flat rocky ground which was almost desert and amongst the tropical scrub only this one thorn bush, perhaps because there was water deep beneath its roots, had grown to the height of a house and could be picked out from many miles away.

The bush grew more or less at the junction of three African states. It was in French Guinea but only about ten miles north of the northernmost tip of Liberia and five miles east of the frontier of Sierra Leone. Across this frontier are the great diamond mines around Sefadu. These are the property of Sierra International, which is part of the powerful mining empire of Afric International, which in turn is a rich capital asset of the British Commonwealth.

An hour earlier in its hole among the roots of the great thorn bush the scorpion had been alerted by two sets of vibrations. First there had been the tiny scraping of the beetle's movements, and these belonged to the vibrations which the scorpion immediately recognized and diagnosed. Then there had been a series of incomprehensible thuds round the bush followed by a final heavy quake which had caved in part of the scorpion's hole. These were followed by a soft rhythmic trembling of the ground which was so regular that it soon became a background vibration of no urgency.

After a pause the tiny scraping of the beetle had continued, and it was greed for the beetle that, after a day of sheltering from its deadliest enemy, the sun, finally got the upper hand against the scorpion's memory of the other noises and impelled it out of its lair into the filtering moonlight.

And now, as it slowly sucked the morsels of beetle-flesh off its feeding pincers, the signal for the scorpion's own death sounded from far away on the eastern horizon, audible to a human, but made up of vibrations which were far outside the range of the scorpion's sensory system. And, a few feet away, a heavy, blunt hand, with bitten finger nails, softly raised a jagged piece of rock.

There was no noise, but the scorpion felt a tiny movement in the air above it. At once its fighting claws were up and groping and its sting was erect in the rigid tail, its near-sighted eyes staring up for a sight of the enemy.

The heavy stone came down.

"Black bastard."

The man watched as the broken insect whipped in its death agony.

The man yawned. He got to his knees in the sandy depression against the trunk of the bush where he had been sitting for nearly two hours and, his arms bent protectingly over his head, scrambled out into the open.




User avatar
411 Reviews


Points: 42428
Reviews: 411

Donate
Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:19 pm
BenFranks says...



Each to their own (:




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 117

Donate
Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:18 pm
napalmerski wrote a review...



Ahem, the old Bonds are a textbook of how to write descriptions. The man's a rough poet Chandler style. Who else would start a book with a chapter dedicated to a scorpion in a desert /Diamonds are Forever/? Or give pages of deadly accurate description of birds in fight, or children playing on the beach, or a spy reminiscenting about being a child playing on the beach? Controlled force vibrates in every scene, without pathos, but a pleasure to read for the style-fanatic. Unlike the dull trudging megalomanic prose of the Ludlums and the Clancy's :D
But I guess I'll have to check out the young Bond. First time I've heard of it, thanx!





Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo