z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Echoes of Yesterday

by AustereMelodies


Please ignore the periods in between stanzas. The spacing wasn't formatting correctly. x'D

.

After so long away

it all

felt

forsaken.

.

The trees had decayed

they would

not

reawaken.

.

There was brush underfoot

but it scraped

at

her

skin.

.

There was light overhead

but beneath

it

was

dim.

.

She remembered the sounds

of those loved

long

ago.

.

They were echoes now

lonely memories

in

tow.

.

It was saddening to see

their last marks

on

the

ground.

.

They were no longer here

not a soul

not

a

sound.

.

It had grown very old

in the years

that

had

passed.

.

But then, so had she --

and gave in

at

long

last.

.

As she laid on the ground

in the place

all

her

own.

.

Her last thoughts were their voices;

she had found

her

way

home.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
97 Reviews


Points: 114
Reviews: 97

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:22 pm
acm says...



I really enjoyed reading this poem. Especially how you had the last three words on their own lines. It makes the poem unique and cool to read. It all flowed very well and had a great meaning in it. Those are the two things that I really like in poetry. Good work!






Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :DD



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 157
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:10 pm
Virgilius says...



I love how at the end of each stanza you spaced the words to show hesitation. Well I think that was what your going for.






Thank you! I was hoping to make it sound a little breathless, since she was supposed to be struggling a little. Thanks for reading!



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 216
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:15 pm
ChloeJoelle wrote a review...



Wow! I love this! Very intriguing and well written. This is obviously a poem, but there is a very strong story in it as well. Fills you with satisfaction to read this. The woman seems so peaceful 'in the place all her own'. My favorite stanza is 'they were no longer here not a soul not a sound.' You said to ignore the periods, but I think they pace the words quite nicely. It looks good visually. You are a wonderful writer, very talented and I look forward to reading your other work--Trapped.
-ChloeJoelle






That's my favorite too! Haha. Thank you! (:



Random avatar

Points: 493
Reviews: 58

Donate
Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:41 pm
ticktock123 wrote a review...



Amazing poem! Its bleak but this makes it all the more meaningful. I love the way not everything is revealed at the beginning-but how the poem appeared to me as a continuous journey in which the reader discovers more and more until it reaches the end.

I love the rhyming! It flows so well and fits into the poem perfectly-without making it seem like you were lost for words. It was perfect. I also love the structure. I haven't seen a poem like this before-but I think it flowed better than most others. I love the way you leave the 3 words at the end of each verse - its really unique.
I couldn't see any flaws.
Tick tock






Thanks so much!!



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 402
Reviews: 107

Donate
Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:35 am
Persistence wrote a review...



Hello, AustereMelodies. This is a depressing poem, but a good one all the same.

The elderly woman walks barefoot on a bushy plain, sorrowfully recalling old memories of times long passed, before thinking about them one last time.

The format of the poem is great, with every consecutive line shorter than its predecessor in each stanza. Not only does it look good, but it is very fitting for the theme of the piece.

I liked the rhymes - simple, classic, they never get old. This poem made me put myself in the woman's shoes, and think about what it would be like for me, what I would think in such a situation.

Hope this review helps, and helps encourage you to get some more writing done. Keep it up.






Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:00 am
View Likes
Dracula wrote a review...



Wow, I think it's awesome that you think about your old characters! I should do that more often... I wonder what they would be doing today? *puts thinking cap on*

I'll be completely honest; reading the first four lines, I had a lot of trouble picking up a rythm, because there just weren't enough words for me to get a grip on. BUT when I linked forsaken with reawaken... POW! Everything fell into place, it sounded beautiful. Your rhyming is great, it doesn't feel like you were just looking for words which rhymed, it feels like each word is supposed to be there and the rhyming is just a coincidence. :D

Not a soul, not a sound. I just wanted to point this bit out because the reptition of 'not' was perfect. The words sounded beautiful, they really did! It even reminded me of Dr Seuss.

My one suggestion has to do with the last part. It doesn't sound right. I think you need a comma after voices so that the sentence makes sense. Otherwise, it's a really lovely poem! Thanks for sharing. :)






Thank you so much! I'll work on fixing that last bit. (x



Random avatar

Points: 107
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:46 am
Unfunnyguy1998 wrote a review...



I found that the whole message was beautiful. But I'm confused was the woman in the poem an old woman or a woman with dead friends. I know age is not a running theme in some poems but it would have been nice to have some context. You should carry on writing poetry as I think you have a real knack for it and think you're very talented. Again beautiful poem.






The answer to your question is both. xD An old woman remembering friends from a long time ago who were gone/ dead. And thank you!



Random avatar

Points: 107
Reviews: 5

Donate


The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb