The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Six, Part Seven - Midweek Action

by BrumalHunter

***

After Darren and Aiden had finished their race (frustratingly, the result had been a tie), they proceeded to Mr Van der Brunnen’s class. The interior contrasted with all of the other teachers’ classes, but especially Mr Kana’s and Mr Kaori’s. In fact, one would not have guessed that it was even remotely related to Battle or any such subject, since it literally doubled as an accounting office. Many boxes containing records occupied the shelves, three of the class’s four corners, and the tops of the various cabinets (which were themselves filled with innumerable ledgers and files).

The old Torkoal himself was completely at home, of course, but then again, he was the inspiration for the archetype of “boring, monotonous teacher of some theoretical subject”. Being an accountant, however, he wasn’t stupid – to prevent the likes of Duncan and Tyler from falling asleep in class, he always (always) kept smelling salts littered around the class. Most peculiar of all, he had lost neither his sight nor his hearing with age, but his smell.

Oh, and he never smiled. (Minerva once pointed out that Darren used too many absolutes, but after he dared her to observe Mr Van der Brunnen for a month, she admitted with much surprise that he had been right after all.)

As was expected, neatly stapled papers atop their desks awaited them. Mr Van der Brunnen handled most of the villagers’ financial affairs, so he used every opportunity to keep the class busy and work on his bookkeeping. (He was usually the last one to leave the school and lock up, and when he left, he took a box with him.)

‘Sir?’ Malcolm said. ‘Could we… perhaps… err, do one-on-one scenarios today?’

A slight stream of white smoke escaped the Torkoal’s nose. ‘Why?’

Another thing: he spoke not only monotonously, but also very slowly.

‘We learn better when competing against each other.’

‘Is that so?’ Mr Van der Brunnen continued to gaze at the Venipede with tired eyes. ‘Very well, I suppose. Come, draw your lots.’

He poked his head underneath his desk and reappeared with a box (the same brown cardboard variety as all the others) in his mouth. Flipping off the lid, he stuck his head inside and produced nine straws. The students eagerly rushed forward, each expressing relief when they drew a straw of normal length. Duncan pulled the short one, so he took his position at the green chalkboard behind the Torkoal’s desk.

‘We shall only do solo scenarios today. As usual, the top four will get to participate in Zekday’s team scenarios. Claim your numbers.’ After the class answered, he rolled his signature twelve-sided die four times – he ignored anything above eight, but had rolled eleven twice – and declared, ‘Leslie and Malcolm, you are our first pair.’ After rolling the die almost twenty times and flipping a coin twice, he added, ‘Leslie, your avatar is Annabelle the Vaporeon, and Malcolm, yours is Braxton the Vileplume. Assume both are Tier Four.

‘In relation to ideal statistics, Vaporeons have one-hundred-and-thirty per cent Health, sixty-five per cent Attack, sixty per cent Defence, one-hundred-and-ten per cent Special Attack, ninety-five per cent Special Defence, and sixty-five per cent Speed, with an average of eighty-seven-point-five per cent. Vileplumes have seventy-five per cent Health, eighty per cent Attack, eighty-five per cent Defence, one-hundred-and-ten per cent Special Attack, ninety per cent Special Defence, and fifty per cent Speed, with an average of eighty-one-point-seven per cent. This should be interesting. Attacks?’

‘Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Poison Powder, and… Petal Blizzard,’ Malcolm responded.

Darren turned around to look at Leslie. The Spearow’s brow was furrowed and he looked into space.

‘Surf, Aurora Beam, Aqua Ring, and Sand Attack,’ he finally replied.

‘Hmm. Training?’

‘Ten per cent to Health, ten to Special Attack, and twenty to Special Defence,’ Leslie answered quickly.

‘Ten to Health, twenty to Special Attack, and ten to Special Defence.’

‘Who do you think will win?’ Aiden whispered.

‘I hate to say it,’ Darren answered, ‘but Malcolm. He has the Type Advantage.’

Aiden grinned. ‘We’ll see.’

‘Braxton the Vileplume uses Poison Powder!’

‘Annabelle the Vaporeon uses Aqua Ring!’

The Torkoal teacher flipped a coin twice. ‘Annabelle is poisoned and, after healing herself a little, has one-hundred-and-twenty-two-point-five per cent Health left.’ Duncan wrote “122.5 – 85” on the board.

‘Annabelle the Vaporeon uses Aurora Beam!’

‘Braxton the Vileplume uses Giga Drain!’

After a few minutes of more calculations, Mr Van der Brunnen announced the result and Duncan wrote “26.75 – 71.5” on the board.

‘I told you,’ Darren said sadly.

‘Braxton the Vileplume uses Petal Blizzard!’

Mr Van der Brunnen flipped a few coins. ‘Oh, Annabelle landed a Critical Hit in her desperation. Let’s see if it’s enough…’ He continued with his calculations. ‘Ah! Even with the lowest value, Annabelle knocks Braxton out before he can finish her off. She is left with eighteen per cent Health. Well done, Leslie. The odds appeared to be against you, but they seemed to have favoured you after all.’

Tyler patted a grinning Leslie on the back.

‘Let’s see who’s next… Aiden versus… No, Leslie’s already won… again…? Ah, versus Tyler.’

The Axew’s smile disappeared. ‘Oh, joy.’

Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:58 am
EnderFlash wrote a review...

This chapter feels like a missed opportunity for comedy, possible in multiple ways: The 'battlers' take it very seriously (shown through little actions after dialogue), making the great contrast between their intenseness and the monotony of the situation hilarious. Or, it could go to the other end of the spectrum and have everyone be incredibly bored during proceedings. As something not related to the students, we could have Mr. Van der Brunnen's actions in more detail to really show how slow he moves. Of course, my rather cheap views on humor may differ from yours, so feel free to ignore this.

I'm glad for the first paragraph providing some background- just try to keep this up throughout the chapter.

---

1. This kind of battling sounds like what I tried to do in first grade, in after school. I would draw up some video game level and whenever a fellow student 'approached' an enemy or obstacle, I would have them say their action and make up some response. It... was kind of weird, but it was fun. For me, anyways; I don't know how the other person felt.

2.

...he was the inspiration for the archetype of “boring, monotonous teacher of some theoretical subject”
I love this line. Thank you.

BrumalHunter says...

Comments:
1. My humour generally manifests as the dry variety, i.e. puns or lame jokes. :P
2. I shall try. Now that I'm creating a map of Dalton Village, it will be much easier to do so.

Impressions:
1. That's interesting. But don't worry, I used to play the Pokemon TCG with a limited set of cards (only those found in a Kyogre tin), so I invented my own rules. (My one friend kept sacrificing his Pokemon to give his Dugtrio more HP and subsequently, we'd have a 260 HP mole on our hands.)
2. You're welcome. ^_^

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:09 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...

Um... weird methods much, Mr. Van der Brunnen? Anyways, let's get on with this review.

General Comments:

1. Little note on the hyphenating of long numbers: to avoid overwhelming your reader, separate the 'parts' of a number with spaces instead of hyphens. i.e: 1243 would be written as one-thousand, one-hundred and forty-three. This makes it easier to interpret, even if you're just going to write the numerical version afterwards.

Details:

Err... nothing really stood out here...

Plot, Characterization, and Misc. Items:

1. The characterization for Mr. Van der Brunnen is lovely. He matches some preconceptions of tortoises, but the addition of his apparent love for numbers is the touch that gives him life.

2. Malcolm hasn't really been that annoying lately. I mean, I'm glad he gets his just deserts and all, given Darren and Aiden's reactions, but the Venipede hasn't done enough within the confines of the story to deserve the opinion Darren's group seems to have.

3. Poor Tyler. He's in for a thrashing isn't he?

4. We need to get to Darren and Minerva's battle already. I want to see them go at it, especially since you devoted an entire chapter to Darren and Aiden talking about Minvera's battling style.

Well, that's about it for now. Maybe I'll catch some reviews again oh... two weeks from now? There are some nice holidays in November up here.

Until next time!
-Buggie

BrumalHunter says...

Of course he's weird - otherwise he'd just be another teacher. ;)

Comments:
1. I have since applied your advice to my numbers. It is quite useful.

Impressions:
1. I believe stereotypes are completely acceptable if you give them more flesh to make them, as you said, more alive.
2. I took care of that in the next chapter.
3. That would be the logical conclusion.
4. I must love torturing you all. XD

Hopefully, you will get more reviews later today. If I hadn't slipped up on these responses too, I'd have been busy with them already.

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare