z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Six, Part One - Midweek Action

by BrumalHunter


Chapter Six – Midweek Action

As the lesson earlier in the week had demonstrated, Strategy & Tactics was ordinarily an interesting, eventful subject. However, as Mr Kana himself would say, strategy was not always an exciting activity, and sometimes, it was downright tedious. On that Giraday morning, the appropriate adjective was “tiresome”.

‘What’s the matter?’ Mr Kana asked, chuckling. ‘Did none of you go to bed when you should have? Even you, Minerva?’

The Vulpix gazed at the Medicham with tired, yet determined eyes. ‘I did go to sleep on time, sir; it’s just… that incense you’re burning…’ She yawned. ‘It’s making us sleepy.’

‘And so it is. The reason you all feel like doing what Duncan had been doing for the past few years – and which he is doing quite loudly now – is because I am burning not just any incense, but Full Incense.’

He strode behind his desk and placed his hand on the yellow and red bowl on his papers. ‘Unless today’s strategy is to make you all fall asleep so I can have a free, paid period, what possible reason could I have for burning this most expensive of products?’

‘Full Incense has an extraordinarily calming effect on anything that can smell it,’ Aiden answered. ‘It is calming to such an extent, it makes you want to sleep, so it is used in battle to make the bowl’s holder move last in his or her priority…’ Aiden yawned. ‘In his or her…’ He yawned again. ‘It makes them move slower.’

‘Precisely right. Would you also like to explain why this could be useful in battle?’

‘It’s because… err… sorry, sir, I’m not a Growlithe anymore.’ Aiden nudged the friend to his left. ‘Darren here isn’t a Drowzee yet, so he can answer.’

Darren was taken aback, but he obliged. ‘Moves like Gyro Ball and Avalanche have more power if the user is slower than the target or if the user moves after the target, respectively, so it would be beneficial to Pokémon who use moves like that. Granted, they must be able to resist falling asleep. If they use that Electric Terrain we studied on Diaday, then it will work perfectly, since they can still get drowsy, but can’t fall asleep.’

‘Excellent, Darren! And I’m impressed that you not only used information learned from a previous lesson, but that you did so while maintaining coherent speech. I also haven’t seen you yawn even once.’

‘Mom’s good friends with Miss Charmaine le Chatelier, so I spend a lot of time in her shop.’

‘So tha’s wha’ ye do when ye aren’t with yer buddies,’ Malcolm called from the back of the class, his eyes drooping. ‘Ye gaze into foggy crys’al balls and analyse some stupid tea leaves.’

Darren made to reply with a snarky comment of his own, but he bit his tongue when Mr Kana raised his hand.

‘Malcolm.’

‘Yes, sir?’

‘As you slowly exhale, you feel the stress leaving your body. As you inhale, you feel the pure tranquillity created by the incense permeate through your body. When you exhale again, you feel even more stress leave your body. You feel a blanket of fussiness cover you from head to tail. You feel your consciousness slipping away, and even while I am talking, you drift away on a sea of relaxation…’ Mr Kana trailed off, waiting for a moment before speaking again. ‘There, he’s asleep.’

‘Along with Seamus, Nicole, Tyler, and now Aiden,’ Darren said, looking around the class and stopping at his friend. He was beginning to drool on his textbook, so Darren put Aiden’s paw beneath his mouth.

‘I’m still awake!’ Minerva added resolutely.

‘Me too!’ Leslie agreed, almost as sober as Darren.

‘Very good. Was there anything else you wanted to say, Darren?’

‘Not really, but I guess you can also give your Full Incense to your target by using moves like Switcheroo or Trick. If you know you’re going to face fast opponents like Greninja or Ninjask, it will allow you to render their strengths useless.’

‘An outstanding observation! I honestly had not thought about that possibility. That’s some creative thinking, Darren; it will serve you well later in life, no matter your career.’

‘Aren’t we going to discuss the effects incense has on reproduction?’ Minerva enquired.

‘Considering the subject I teach, I don’t think so. That would be Mrs Williams’ domain.’

‘Oh, right.’ Minerva muttered something about the incense muddling her thoughts.

‘Will we discuss all the incenses today, Mr Kana?’ Leslie asked.

‘Indeed. As much as the sleeping two thirds of the class would like to stay that way, we still have an hour and fifty minutes left of this period, and seeing as I only have two periods with you a week, I have to make the most of it.’

‘How many different types of incense are there?’

‘Nine, and we have to discuss them all.’

‘Should we start waking the others up, then?’ The Spearow looked uncertainly at the Ivysaur next to him.

‘We’ll discuss Lax Incense next, but that is rather straightforward, so they can just read through the textbook to catch up on what they missed. The Luck Incense is rather pungent though, so they ought to start waking up then.’

For some reason, Darren found it amusing that the teacher would allow more than half of the class to sleep while a lesson is being taught, but even more so that said teacher had put them to sleep in the first place. (In addition to Hypnotising Malcolm, which was awesome. Then again, it was Mr Kana, so duh.)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
88 Reviews


Points: 2954
Reviews: 88

Donate
Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:13 am
View Likes
EnderFlash wrote a review...



Ahem... Here are some unorganized paragraphs to formulate my review. Let's hope I can make the most out of Thanksgiving Break (a.k.a not play games and read fan fiction all day) and somewhat catch up!

I don't have much to critique here. Darren's one of the few who don't feel sleepy, so there isn't much of a change needed to his perspective. I wish I could fault the massive amount of dialogue to action ratio, but it only makes sense to have a lot of talking in school and less movement since everyone's sitting in their seats. It'd be nice to have the environment worked in more, so we have a constant view on what everything looks like or what individuals are doing.

---

1. ... I'm more than a month late. WELP

2. I must say, Pokemon school seems a lot more interesting and interactive than mine. Why can't I have teachers like this?

As what Buggie said below (way before me, I may add), not much happened, good or bad. I'll see you next chapter!




BrumalHunter says...


No matter how unorganised your paragraphs are, they are always useful, so I am grateful nevertheless. ;)

1. I am seriously neglecting the village's layout. Bleargh, I'll have to draw a map some time soon...
2. I'm more than a few months late, so I'm just glad I'm receiving any reviews from you at all.
3. As long as the classes are interesting, I can still hope. XD

Sorry for responding so late. I liked the review in advance just to show that I have read it and that I am not ignoring you.



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:14 pm
View Likes
Ventomology wrote a review...



Ah, and here we see Darren's genius again. Honestly, how has he always managed to be only an average student?

Anyways, moving on.

No notes this chapter. It'd be nice if fewer paragraphs started with quotation marks, but you never get too repetitive, so I can't complain that much.

Impressions:

1. Thank you for being the one person to have their chapter ready before the end of the week. (Aside from me, duh.)

2. Mr Kana is great. I'm not sure I'd approve of how he runs his class, but at least he's fun. The effort you put into making every character unique is obvious in the teachers especially.

3. Also, did you purposefully title this chapter "A Convenient Spelling Error?" I don't usually doubt title relevance, but this is a repeat.

Hmm... not much happened, and there's nothing spectacular for me to gush over, so I guess this is it.

Ciao for now!
-Buggie




BrumalHunter says...


Thanks for your review, Buggie!

He excels in battle classes, but not in much else, and that is why he's an average student. Aiden does well in all the subjects, he simply specialises in the ones concerning battle.

Impressions:
1. Sorry to disappoint you, but this is last week's chapter, but because it was Review Day, I couldn't submit it on Sunday. I have yet to write this week's. XD
2. Thanks! And yes, Mr Kana is unorthodox. That's actually a response I'd expect from Minerva. :P
3. That was most definitely a mistake. Whenever I start typing in the title box, all the previous titles pop up as options. I usually choose one so I don't have to rewrite the repeated parts (like "The Adventures of Darren Cassidy"), but in this case, I only changed the chapter number, not the name. I've fixed it now.

I eagerly await your next chapter.



Ventomology says...


No, no. Ender and Tort still don't have last week's chapter ready yet. You and I are the only ones really keeping up by this point.



BrumalHunter says...


Oh, I see! Well, then... :/




Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered