z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Four, Part One - Unfamiliar Terrain

by BrumalHunter


Chapter Four – Unfamiliar Terrain

When Aiden, Tyler and a Solosis came upon Darren, he was sunbaking on one of the pavilions. He didn’t even hear them arrive, so consumed was he in his thoughts. Even when Aiden stopped next to him, Darren didn’t open his eyes. When Aiden finally cleared his throat, Darren started and gazed upon his friend with an uncomprehending expression. His mind then re-joined his body, after which the initial surprise dissipated.

‘Oh, hey, Aiden.’

The Growlithe turned to his other friends. ‘Tyler, Raymond, why don’t you two go have a duel?’

Tyler frowned. ‘Why?’

‘Because the winner gets a Chesto bar.’

His face lit up. ‘Okay! C’mon, Raymond. You’re going down…’

The Axew and Solosis descended the pavilion, claiming a spot of the arena for themselves and initiating the battle. Darren looked at the other Pokémon playing on the arena: Some of the younger students chased each other around, while a circle of older students watched a Machoke and Heracross wrestle. A Ponyta, Minerva’s friend Nicole, happily galloped around the arena, with Minerva herself sitting some distance to Darren’s left, speaking softly to a Simisear.

‘Hey, Darren.’

Said Electrike focussed his attention on Aiden, who had laid down beside him. ‘Hmm?’

‘Why did you say your father’s name was Axel?’

‘I didn’t. I said his name was “Alex Sheridan”.’

‘I know, but you had “Axel” written on your family tree, and you only replaced it with “Alex” right before you went up to speak.’

Darren shifted a bit. ‘So?’

‘So, how come you only “realised” it was a mistake when you had been staring at it for more than five minutes already?’

‘It doesn’t matter,’ Darren said abruptly and closed his eyes again, laying his head down on the warm concrete.

‘I think it does.’

‘Why do you care?’ Darren snapped.

‘Because I’m your friend, and it’s a friend’s job to care.’

‘Well, you’re just being annoying.’

‘That’s a friend’s job too. So, are you going to tell me why you don’t want people to know your father is Axel Sheridan, or shall I just bother you until you do?’

Darren groaned. ‘I choose the third option – we forget about it and bet on Tyler and Raymond’s battle.’

‘All right, I say Tyler’s going to win. What are the stakes?’

‘A Mago poffin.’

‘I already have one, but let’s settle for that. So there, we’ve made the bet, and now I conveniently remember our previous topic.’

Darren recalled what his mother had said the previous day and shook his head, aware of the irony. Fortunately, a fluttering of wings announced the arrival of Leslie Parlan. Ordinarily, Darren would have been annoyed, since Leslie was a tag-along, but for once, he was glad to see the loquacious Spearow.

‘Hey, guys! How are you doing? Whoa, is Darren sleeping?’

Aiden, however, would not be deterred so easily. ‘Hello, Leslie. We were just busy discussing Tyler and Raymond’s battle. Why don’t you go act as referee?’

‘Okay, cool!’ the Spearow chirped happily, flying down to the sparring pair.

‘Distraction dealt with,’ Aiden announced, grinning. ‘Now, let the Skitty out of the bag.’

Dejected, Darren opened his eyes and sat up. ‘My father’s name is Axel Sheridan. He is one of the most famous bandits ever to operate in the deserts of Ytridor.’

‘Oh, damn…’ Aiden murmured. ‘Having a bandit for a father is bad already, but an infamous one is even worse.’

‘Thank you, Aiden, because I wasn’t aware of that already.’

‘Aww, Darren, I’m sorry! You know I sometimes blurt things out.’

‘That doesn’t make the statement any less hurtful.’

Aiden grimaced, ashamed. ‘I’m sure he can’t be that notorious, though…’

‘You know Mightyenas can learn Hyper Voice?’

‘Yeah, what about it?’

‘Nobody knows how he managed to do it, but my father’s Hyper Voice was so powerful, he could effectively use it as Boomburst.’

Aiden’s jaw dropped. ‘You’re not serious, are you? You’re joking, right? You have to be joking.’

‘If only I were.’

‘But… Only… Yeah, sorry, I’m mind blown. I can see why you don’t want to be associated with him. I promise not to tell anyone.’

‘That’s not enough, Aiden; I need you to promise never to speak of this again.’ Desperation had crept into his voice, and Darren hated it, but there was nothing to do.

‘Don’t worry, my lips are as sealed as a Banette’s.’

‘Thank you.’

Darren expected to feel relieved, but he did not. If the truth is supposed to set you free, then why did he feel more nervous than ever before?

‘I won!’

Darren and Aiden both looked at the little green ball of a Pokémon in surprise and asked in unison, ‘Really?’

‘Yip! Can I get that Chesto bar now?’

Aiden chuckled and opened his bag. ‘Sure. Here you go.’

Darren watched in fascination intermingled with disgust as Raymond ate the candy, the gooey substance that was once the bar diffusing throughout the Solosis’ body. Frankly, it was something he’d rather not have seen.

‘Oh!’ Aiden suddenly exclaimed. ‘That reminds me – I still need to give you your poffin.’ He made to rummage through his bag for it, but the bell rang. Looking up at Darren, he said apologetically, ‘I guess it will have to wait until second break then.’

‘Thanks for the Chesto bar, Aiden!’ Raymond said, already zooming away. ‘I have Battle now, so let’s hope I’ll be just as…’ Whatever else he said was audible only as distant sounds, for he was by then at the far side of the arena.

‘Wha’ do we ‘ave now?’ Tyler asked, crawling up to where Darren and Aiden stood.

‘Evolution,’ Aiden answered. ‘Why is your speech slurred?’

‘Cause Raymond used Confusionme.’

‘Ah. Well, you better climb onto my back then.’

Tyler did so, simply to fall off on the other side. He tried climbing on once more, but again, he couldn’t manage to stay on. Fortunately, Darren had been there, waiting, so the two canines cautiously descended the pavilion’s steps and carried Tyler to class. When they eventually reached it, everyone else was already seated and a Furret was busy handing out papers.

‘Did you oversleep again?’ Malcolm called from the back of the class, causing Seamus to start sniggering.

‘Don’t be daft,’ Minerva, who was sitting in front of Malcolm, retorted. ‘Can’t you see he’s confused? Mr Williams, I have a Persim Berry for Tyler. Would you please give it to him?’

The teacher hurried over, took the Berry, and gave it to Tyler, who swallowed it in one gulp. ‘There, all better!’ Mr Williams announced happily. ‘He can write his test now without disadvantage.’

‘What test, sir?’ Aiden enquired.

‘Oh, don’t worry – you should have seen Minerva’s face when I told her she was writing a test about which she did not know beforehand. It won’t count for marks; it’s just to see how much you still remember.’

‘On what are we writing?’

‘Eevee and all of its currently discovered evolutions. Now shoo, off to your desks! The others have already begun.’

After Tyler awkwardly clambered off Aiden’s back, the trio took their seats and began writing. When the bell rang two hours later, they gratefully laid down their pens, exhausted.

‘Have a nice day!’ Mr Williams called after the weary students filing out of his class. ‘Tomorrow, we shall go over the tests, so be prepared.’

‘That was crazy,’ Tyler complained.

‘I know, right?’ Aiden agreed. ‘Let’s hope Mr Kana is more merciful.’

‘Speaking of which,’ Darren said, drawing the other two’s attention, how about we just wait at his class?’

‘Sure.’

Once they arrived, they sat down, Aiden handing Darren his poffin and starting a conversation with Tyler. Darren sniffed the pink bun with yellow sprinkles, enjoying the slightly floral scent, and happily bit into the poffin. He relished the tanginess of the Aspear Berry combined with the refreshing sweetness of the Mago Berry and how the poffin seemed to melt in your mouth. Eagerly, he consumed the rest of the fluffy bun, but as with all good things, it was gone far too soon.

With nothing better to do, he joined Aiden and Tyler’s conversation until Mr Kana arrived to unlock his class.

‘You three must be eager for Strategy & Tactics today,’ the Medicham commented casually. ‘Well, come on in. The bell will go any minute.’ As if that were its cue, the bell rang. ‘Ah, you see? Now, come.’

Darren entered the class and took his seat in the middle of the front row. Aiden sat to his right and Tyler behind him. Since Mr Kana wouldn’t start the class until everyone had arrived, Darren took out his books so long – never an easy feat for somebody with paws – and looked around.

Everything was neat and immaculately arranged, with every item serving a purpose. It made sense, since Mr Kana taught them that every decision in a battle was important, so they would have to make each one count. However, he had already seen the class a thousand times, so he looked in front of him, bored. It was then that he noticed the three bowls. One contained a clump of grass, but the other two were empty. He was curious, but since Minerva had taken her seat to his left (she and Aiden were rivals, so he had to separate them) and she had somehow been the last to enter, the lesson was about to start. Knowing Mr Kana, it was bound to be interesting.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 2320
Reviews: 40

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:06 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy wrote a review...



I don't know if it's a coincidence or foreshadowing, but when the conversation about Darren's Dad began, this started playing. SO appropriate.

I. Impressions of the Shell Master!

1. Aiden is a Growlithe. And... Minerva is a Vulpix. And they're rivals.
...I know you haven't played the games, Astral, but I could swear that you did, considering these two pokemons are available in separate versions of Kanto (Fire Red has Growlithe and Leaf Green has Vulpix. AKA, they're natural rivals in Kanto. I find that giggle-worthy.

2. This chapter was OBVIOUSLY about Aiden and Darren's friendship, showing how concerned the former was about the latter, but um... Darn it. Too bad I didn't get a good shot at this battle.

3. Speakin' of which, you COULD've added little parts in which darren absent-mindedly hears the battle noises, or how him and Aiden stare at the end of it while it unfolds. That could've worked quite well. Food for though.

4. His Dad can... HE CAN USE HYPER VOICE LIKE BOOMBURST?! Holy...! Personally, I'd find THAT specific fact something to be proud about. I understand why he doesn't wanna be associated with the dude, though.
...Being me, I find that totally cool, however.

5. Sealed as a Banette. Lulz.

6. A test about the Eeveelutions? YEEEEEES! GIMME THAT PEN AND PAPER!


II. Conclusion!

This was quite a personal chapter. Aiden is an adorable friend, and Darren's concern about not bein' associated with his Dad's pretty darn cute. Also, Minerva's a bit of a justice lady despite her prideful knowledge, and therefore becomes slightly more likeable as well. Character development!

So um, yeah. Liked it. NOW... STRATEGIES! Here's something I'm looking forward to. On to the next one!


~Shell Master Tortwag~




BrumalHunter says...


Wow, you really plan on nabbing them all today. Well, I'm logging off after this reply (Skyrim XD), so I look forward to reading the rest later.

(Also, I am listening to that Mario Kart soundtrack, and it is quite, for lack of a better word, groovy. Probably because of the brass. Maybe it is foreshadowing, maybe it isn't. ;))

Impressions:
1. Well, fancy that. Go intuition!
2. There will be plenty of battles later on, and since Tyler and Raymond will be in a few, you'll get your chance to see them in action. ;)
3. Since Ender mentioned this too, I shall have to keep it in mind.
4. *whistles* <.<
5. You'll see many such analogies as the story progresses. In fact, my last two chapters have them too. They are very fun to write. ^_^
6. You can see some of the questions in chapter five, part one.

We shall see what you think of the strategies, yes. And since you are my Pokemon mentor at present, I eagerly await your response when I come back.



TinkerTwaggy says...


I AM! I SHALL CATCH UP TO YOU ALL!
Right. Skyrim. Enjoy, man. I'll go back to my Battle Frontier sometime this weekend, too.
Read them/comment back whenever you can!

1. That's the second time! First ws your Steven avatar, and now this! YOU ARE PSYCHIC. It's official. If you were a Pokemon trainer, you'd be a Psychic Class trainer.
2. I freakin' hope so :O
3. Not surprised that she did. Bascially just stay aware of your character's surroundings at all times, especially during Pokemon battles. I hada few descriptive troubles with that myself, but you'll be fine.
4. XD
5. You better throw them all and place 'em really well. Pokefans such as I love these, and the show already provide us with satisfying PokePuns like that.
6. YES! PERFECT. I'll reach that soon enough then!


Hopefully I'll be pleased, Astral! But it's you writing this. I'm not exactly worried.



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:27 pm
View Likes
Ventomology wrote a review...



Yo! I am actually getting around to a review early in the week. How surprising.

Anyways, I shall cut to the review immediately.

Note: Your vocabulary should make your writing succinct, not tongue-tying.

I have often complimented you on your lexicon; it's truly incredible. However, I thought a few several of your lines could have been just as effective with one less uni-exam word. (I was going to say SAT word, but I don't think you would take that...)

You also have a tendency to let your vocabulary rule more than its fair share of descriptions. There's a reason why you like my imagery, Hunter, and it lies in the poetic devices, not my dictionary. (By the way, part 1.3 of Public Bus has this really great word-play that I've been waiting for someone to catch...)

Anyways, onto the Impressions!

1. Thank you for the lovely details you added into this chapter. I know I just scolded you about them, but they're better than having none at all. The connection between Mr. Kana's classroom and his philosophy was an excellent touch.

2. Though I originally disliked Minerva (she reminded me of when I was a little smart-alec), her offer of the Persim berry fixed that. Now, I'm comparing her to my friend who just moved to Germany, which makes me both sad and happy... You'd better do a good job with her character.

3. I'm glad that Darren told Aiden the secret about Axel Sheridan. It's mildly ironic, since I seem to remember that Aiden's father is in law enforcement, but it also highlights the trust between Darren and Aiden.

4. I was thinking about the fact that Darren's father shares his name with a character from one of my abandoned projects, and it occurred to me that Aiden and Minerva might be similar to Axel and Elizabeth respectively, from my LMS1 project. And now I want to see some follow-up on your statement that Aiden and Minerva are rivals, just to compare the four. :)

And... that's about it. I'll catch you again later!
-Buggie




BrumalHunter says...


Gah, and it just has to be this chapter that needs editing!

Note:
1. Yeah, my descriptions were rushed, which is why they lack proper attention. Sorry.

Impressions:
1. That is true... And thanks! His lesson will be revealed in chapter four, part one.
2. I'm glad you like Minerva. Initially, she was just another classmate, but it seems she too is now going to play a more significant role. See, that's wh I enjoy writing like this - the readers can give you feedback on what they dislike, want and expect.
3. I never thought of it that way... But don't worry, Dalton Village is in Casmaryn, not Ytridor, so there won't be any conflict yet.
4. Oh, wait until the next few chapters are released. Things will then start to heat up. ;)

Thank you for your advice! It is much appreciated, as usual.



Ventomology says...


1. WHY ARE YOU STILL AWAKE HUNTER

2. Minerva and Aiden are going to battle, aren't they? That's going to be an exciting read.



User avatar
88 Reviews


Points: 2954
Reviews: 88

Donate
Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:18 am
View Likes
EnderFlash wrote a review...



I'm here! I'll leave all the nitpicks for someone else, soooooo yeah! I think I nitpicked anyways, haha.

The first paragraph's really awkward. "He didn’t even hear them arrive, so consumed was he in his thoughts." for example, is worded weirdly. Consumed in his thoughts, he didn't even hear them arrive. He was so consumed in his thoughts that he didn't even hear them arrive. Stuff like that make reading much easier.

It's the small things that count. For example, it would be cool to show a bit of Tyler and Raymond's battle while Darren and Aiden talk, or even to say what moves they used instead of just 'initiating the battle'. The test timeskip was pretty sudden, too, so there could be a little detail in what the test questions. 'Eevee and its evolutions' is pretty vague, after all.

Otherwise, I have no problems! :D

Thoughts:

1. Now that I think about it, I wonder if any of the characters will evolve throughout the story. They probably will, actually.

2. I hope that the characters you named will appear more, since it doesn't make a lot of sense to dump in a bunch of identified characters and then never use them again.

3. I like how they replace the typical similies with Pokemon terms.

Review.... end!




BrumalHunter says...


Thank you for your review!

1. The reason I paid very little detail to the battle and the test is because they aren't important. In fact, the important part isn't even in this chapter - I was running out of time, so I had to submit what I had.
2. See, the reason I skip out on these details is because we are still in the exposition. I want to initiate the rising action before the year is over (I'm serious; at this rate, the motoric moment will only occur after December), so I'm rushing things a bit. But yes, the characters will definitely evolve.
3. Even if the characters have names, they don't necessarily have to be important. If you think about it, wouldn't it make less sense if I didn't name Darren's classmates?
4. I'm glad! ^_^

Once again, thanks for the review.



EnderFlash says...


For number 3, actually, I personally think that it's better to leave characters nameless if they're never going to be mentioned again or very few times. It prevents confusion and emphasizes their role as a background character.




Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief