z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Pros and Cons to the Death penalty

by Ashley123


Weighing the Possibilities to an Uncompromised Ruling

When we think about murderers and the lives that they have taken, we usually feel like the government should induce a rule such as “an eye for an eye”. We mourn for our loved ones and crave for vengeance or justice for our fallen family members, as if by doing this it will bring them back. And when we hear that the one who intentionally killed our family is getting the death penalty, then we immediately jump to the conclusions that they are getting what they deserved. We don’t even acknowledge that we are doing the exact same thing to them, as they have done to us. Like all differing beliefs and difficult concepts, we know that to any good debate there are always two points of view. Both sides believe that they are right, but like everything that aren’t facts these sides are based on opinions. Different people have different stories, and it’s up to us to recognize and appreciate everyone’s ideals.

Most commonly people see the negative effects of death penalty to the United States, simply because we are taking a life. But, there are a lot of studies and beliefs that also prove that this method is affective, and takes full charge to the prison count issue. Constitutional Lawyer and General Counsel to the Center for Law and Accountability, Brian Fein, JD; showed that these inmates do indeed have a choice if they get the death penalty or not. Brian announced that “The death penalty honors human dignity by treating the defendant as a free moral actor able to control his own destiny for good or for ill; it does not treat him as an animal with no moral sense." ("Bruce Fein, JD - Death Penalty - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016. )This shows that in some sense the death penalty can be avoided, if the injustice had in fact not been committed by those held responsible. This is a path that can be chosen if the person had chosen to do something a little differently. More researchers and lawyers have chosen the same side as Fein, but decided to focus on different aspects on the situation. Another stance on why the death penalty is preferred came from the late Professor of Jurisprudence at Fordham University, Ernest Van Den Haag, PhD. He stated that the death penalty is an ideal punishment for these types of first degree criminals, simply because those types of people fear death. That they don’t fear a prison sentence and that death is a more of a punishment to these people. In addition to this, by eliminating the killers and terrorists that threaten to take innocent lives, we are helping to lower the risks of more lives taken in the future by their hands. To continue with the words of Ernest supporting this cause, he once stated these words, "I can not accept the abolitionist belief that there is no crime horrible enough to deserve capital punishment. On the contrary, there are far more crimes that do than there are death sentences. All the more reason not to spare the few who do receive it.” ("Ernest Van Den Haag, PhD - Death Penalty - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016.) Saying once again that these horrific crimes deserve to be brought to justice.

Not to only acknowledge the pros of the issue, but we also need to bring light to the cons as well to state an unbiased opinion. Related to this topic, Professor of Law at New York University School ofLaw, Bryan Stevenson, JD, shares his ideas about how unfair the penalty is. That the penalty is an unjust way to solve criminal actions, and to stop these behaviors – in my own words, “Death cannot be solved with death.” Stevenson declared that the law treats people better if they are rich and guilty, opposed to the innocent and poor. This penalty, and many other laws, get twisted and stretched in the favor of the much wealthier clients, proving what Stevenson was attempting to portray. As well as this claim, many other people have seen similar injustices happening within this federal law. Justice of the US Supreme Court, William J. Brennan, JD, also stated a similar prospect. He said that this ruling is unjust and that it treats humans as an object or something that the laws can just toy with, rather than seeing them as actual people with rights. This ruling also breaks the eighth and fourteenth amendments. The eight amendment states that “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.” ("Eighth Amendment." TheFreeDictionary.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016.) As well as this amendment, the fourteenth amendment also states that, “No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” ("14th Amendment." LII / Legal Information Institute. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016. ) This helps the beliefs that Brennan was trying to portray, as well showing how these amendments were indeed broken. Both of these people make fine arguments in why the legal ruling of the death penalty is wrong. They tell their opinions and aren’t afraid to show the world what they think. Even though these people may have done wrong, it doesn’t mean that we too should do wrong in the process of finding justice. We should be the people that our future civilians look up to, and strive to be like.

Looking at all of these opinions gives us a pretty good idea of different beliefs in different parts of the country. It shows us that not just one opinion rules the outcome, and the final say of what our country and our governing body decide. Looking at all of these different ideas about only one concept, it only proves how complex and divided our country really is. If we want our home to be a certain way then we have to be the ones to shape it ourselves. We have to stand up for our beliefs and show them what our opinion could do. If you truly think about this concept and how so many people have so many different beliefs, then you’ll see that there is no correct answer to this or any world issue. This and many other issues like it are opinions that are based on the person and their beliefs. There is no right answer, both sides are correct in their own means. We just have to look at the odds and weigh the means for a brighter tomorrow. Examining the pros and cons helps us paint a bigger picture in our minds than what only one person can really see.

Bibliography

"Eighth Amendment." TheFreeDictionary.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016.

"Top 10 Pros and Cons - Death Penalty - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016.

"Ernest Van Den Haag, PhD - Death Penalty - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016

"Bruce Fein, JD - Death Penalty - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016.

"14th Amendment." LII / Legal Information Institute. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2016.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 pm
Sujana wrote a review...



Hey there, love. It's Ellstar here to review a bit, because I made a very foolish promise not to stop reviewing until I either die or the little box gets to -150. Anyway, enough of that, let's talk about the highlights of your work.

Most commonly people see the negative effects of death penalty to the United States


In, not to.

But, there are a lot of studies and beliefs that also prove that this method is affective


Effective, not affective.

He stated that the death penalty is an ideal punishment for these types of first degree criminals, simply because those types of people fear death.


You used both 'those' and 'these' to refer to the same group of people. I suggest you change your mind and pick one of them before the readers get confused.

That they don’t fear a prison sentence and that death is a more of a punishment to these people.


Remove this a.

Now, I think it would be unfair to judge this without giving my own opinion, considering I've also debated on this with mixed to good results. Generally speaking, I think the best way to describe the death penalty situation is idealism vs pragmatism. Pragmatically speaking, it's better to kill Osama Bin Laden than let him live, as his following and his status would've allowed him an exit from prison.

Ideally speaking, Osama Bin Laden may be an evil man, but he still is a man and he deserves the right to live. If we choose to be pragmatic, we eliminate the risk of having the problem come back, but remain with a guilty conscience. If we choose to be ideal, we let the problem rage on, but our conscience remains intact. It depends on the person which sounds better, but for a special few both sounds horrible. For me, personally, I'd go for the pragmatic route--morality is only a social construct to me, after all. But that doesn't mean I agree that all the people who're getting killed deserve to die. I think it's stupid if you kill the drug dealer, because considering what he has to do for his job the drug dealer does not fear death, and in any case if you kill one of them another one will pop up because there will always be a demand for drugs. I think it's stupid if you kill a child molester, not because they don't deserve it, but because I'd rather see the child molester get harassed and killed in prison. (I'm a cruel person, I know.) I think it's sane to kill a known terrorist who teaches children toxic messages, because if we don't he and his ideology has the potential of growing way out of proportion. Looking at the death penalty through ideal lenses is useless, the only way the death penalty sounds sane is through the pragmatic lenses. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Signing out,

--EM.




Ashley123 says...


Thanks, I'll make the fixes to this paper



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:18 am
Virgil says...



If you would allow me to ask, why did you write this? I'm honestly curious to as why you did this essay.




Ashley123 says...


I wrote it in the brief description box. I said that I wrote it for a writing contest and that I needed feedback. But it's completely understandable if you didn't see that part of it. I'm okay to tell you instead.



Virgil says...


Ohh, sorry, I did not see that. My eyes must've skipped over it, alright then.



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 61
Reviews: 46

Donate
Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:32 am
thecolorofthesky wrote a review...



Hi there! I'll be writing a review for you. First, you have some very useful evidence that fits your arguments. In your introduction however, you show a slight bias in how you portray the families on the receiving end of injustice. I would focus more on facts in the introduction and talk about the families less. This way you sound less biased in the first paragraph. Next, I would add some more of your own analysis onto the issue. Not your stance, but analyzing the evidence you brought forward. I saw a few errors in citing. You need to be conscious when citing direct quotes. With your Cons paragraph, I would remove the phrase "as well to state and unbiased opinion" just to remove the idea of bias altogether. In the next sentence, you need a space between 'Law' and 'of'. In the same sentence replace the word 'unfair'. Start the one after that differently. Nice job in citing the amendment in relation to the previous evidence. In the last paragraph omit "different parts of the country". The second sentence could be better phrased. The last few closing sentences are gold! Overall I would say go over it once or twice more to polish it off.






I tried to keep it brief. I have more if you'd like. I'm a debate kid so I could go on forever. ;)



Ashley123 says...


Thanks for the review, I'll take your thoughts into consideration and change parts of the essay. Thank you for helping me edit this, I really needed someone to help me see my errors, I'm not a good self editor.




See, we could have been called The Shoes.
— Paul McCartney