Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Dante's Divine Comedy

by Areida

Difficult? Yep.

Full of symbolism and allegories? Sure.

Like wading through quicksand at times? Oh, yes.

But an incredible work that everyone ought to read? Definitely.

So who has read it?

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:15 pm
-KayJuran- wrote a review...

I haven't read it... but I did put some of the quotes from it on my art project, I think. At least... I was going to. Can't remember whether I was able to fit them on in the end.

So... what exactly is it? Isn't it like a really long poem? Perhaps that's Paradise Lost though. Hmm...

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:45 am
bubblewrapped says...

Sadly, havent read it. My bookshelf is threatening to implode with the number of books I need/want to read, so I havent even BEGUN to think about it. Which is sad. But I definitely want to! ...I just have to get through about 100 other books first.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:32 am
Mr. Everyone says...

not me =(

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:46 pm
lucafont90 says...

I read in my appalling English II class a month ago.

I enjoyed reading it. Quite difficult at times.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:28 am
Via says...

I've just read The Inferno.

Loveee.

Seriously. Best thing I ever read in highschool. Definitely worth the Saturday spent on it!

Oh, and my level? Eighth. Haha.
Meg

Sureal wrote a review...

I know this site questionaire thing that you answer and it tells you which level fo Hell you go to, accorinding to Dante's thingy.
I got to Level 6 (I think anyways).

Anyways - never read the actual story though ;).

Sam says...

AUGH!!!

I want to read Inferno so badly...but...all the copies in my library are always checked out.

Ah well.

Thu May 19, 2005 1:56 am
Areida says...

Paradiso is probably the least-liked of all three parts in the Comedy. It lacks in gory description so common of Inferno and contains many lengthy lectures on things like the function/nature of angels, the Fall of man in the Garden, Creation, the nature of sin, etc.

Incandesence wrote:Purgatorio was kind of...pointless and disturbing.

Once past hell, you get to go float around in an empty white box and contemplate what you did. OOOOOH now that was creative given his timeframe. :shrug: Dante is a waste of time. If you want an Omnibus coures, you need to keep materials current; as religion is nothing but a superstition that is eventually superceded by science in the future.

Disturbing how?

Keep the material current? Brad, that's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard you say. If we kept everything current that would mean not reading Homer, Virgil, Suetonius, Plato, Aristotle, and Chaucer.

Thu May 19, 2005 1:45 am
Zion says...

how was Heaven? I only had the chance to read Inferno

Thu May 19, 2005 1:44 am
Incandescence wrote a review...

Purgatorio was kind of...pointless and disturbing.

Thu May 19, 2005 1:42 am
Areida says...

I like it as a whole, but Purgatory might actually be my favourite...oddly enough. Inferno scared me...LOL...

Thu May 19, 2005 1:34 am
Zion says...

I loved inferno. thats all Im gonna say

Thu May 19, 2005 1:31 am
Areida says...

That's awesome, Snoink! I think it's really cool how he wrote the poem in the vernacular Italian so that his countrymen could read it, rather than writing it in the classical Latin. Yep.

Thu May 19, 2005 1:21 am
Snoink says...

Yes but...

I'm going to learn Italian so I can read it in its proper form. :D

Thu May 19, 2005 1:18 am
Incandescence says...

:raises hand vaguely:

Dante was a nutcase, and excepting Inferno, the rest of the "Comedy" sucked. This would be easier to discuss on AIM, so...yeah. If you've got it, IM me at glisterystripe. If not...:shrug:

Thu May 19, 2005 1:15 am
Areida says...

Oh, come on, you guys! Somebody must have read it!

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot