House Of Kehila (Episode 2)

by Aravind

[Scene 1]

(Morning Breakfast with the whole family)

JUSTINE - Here, let me get some milk.

DAVID - Skimmed Milk! Remember what the doctor said.

KAI - You're so health conscious.

DAVID - Well yes, because, I-I don't want to....die.

KAI - We all will, eventually.

DAVID - You need to start becoming health conscious. Talk to your wife about it.

ELIZA - He's right. Health is important too, Kai.

KAI - I live off KFC Buckets every weekend. Nothing ever happens to me.

VINCENT - It'll happen soon, dad.

SARAH - They're right. Too much fat consumption can cause a build up of plaque. It can cause heart attack.

KAI - Is that why people die when going to McDonald's?

SARAH - Too little or too much of something is bad for you.

KAI - Okay, so I can still go for the buckets. Got it!

PERRY - Alright, time for you guys to get out.

KAI - What was that, Perry?

PERRY - Time for you to leave, I meant.

KAI - I'm bringing that book, tonight from work. Read it and tell me how it is.

PERRY - I don't like where this is going.

MARTA - Kai, do you really have to use him as your test subject? Can't you find others at work?

KAI - I could, but he's a perfect depiction of someone who'll buy our stuff.

PERRY - Well, I'm not liking your next product.

MARTA - Why? What is it?

(Perry whispers it into her ears)

MARTA - (Shocked) What?! Gross!

ELIZA - You just design anything for people, don't you?

KAI - Hey! We give the people what they want, and that's helping you with your charity work.

ELIZA - He's got a point.

(Marta looks down at his pants)

PERRY - Dear, as much as you have the authority in the family....(feeling awkward).

(Kai is giggling)

PERRY - (To Kai) You're just waiting for this book to get me laid, right?

JUSTINE - Okay, too much information. Everyone, off to your respective places.

[Scene 2]

JUSTINE - Now what's with this whole chat about getting laid? What's it this time?

PERRY - Kai's product test.

JUSTINE - Oh good!! Can I be a part of it?

PERRY - No! No!! Not in a million years!

JUSTINE - Sometimes I feel you have mixed feelings for Kai and his testings.

PERRY - Let alone Kai's other tests, you need testes for this one.

JUSTINE - (Shocked and Grossed Out) I-I have work to do (leaves to do chores).

PERRY - Too much information? God, why am I always getting the shitty projects.

[Scene 3]

(Design Technology Class in School)

MR. FERGUSON - I'm going to make myself very clear. Be very careful when around with these tools. You have saws, screw drivers, 3D Printers, A Huge Laser Cutter behind me, and Jonathan?

JONATHAN - Yes?

MR. FERGUSON - Don't try to eat the wood chunks. Believe me, they don't taste like the paper you eat. Now then! Deadline for your final Jewelry pieces are in three weeks. Make good use of your time.

(Students head off to work - they're designing jewelry pieces)

CHRISTIE - Exciting right? It's your favourite project.

XANTHE - Of course I am! I love making jewelry. What's great is that I can continue blogging about jewelry making, even with the stuff I do in school. What do you suggest I use? I'm sort of thinking on using the laser cutter. Should I go for that?

CHRISTIE - I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Threads, beads, and all.

XANTHE - Too much time. I'm going with laser cutting.

(Xanthe draws out various jewelry design pieces)

[Scene 4]

(Physical Education Class)

MR. GRANT - New unit! It's going to be a fun unit!

LUKE - (Whispers) I bet it's Basketball. No wait, Ultimate Frisbee.

HARRISON - (Whispers) I know right? It's going to be awesome.

MR. GRANT - As part of our school initiative! We plan on introducing new forms of study into the subject. For that! We're introducing the Dance Unit!

ALL - What?!

GIRLS - Oh Yes!!

BOYS - Yuck!

MR. GRANT - Hey! Hey! Calm down. I don't expect anyone to do the Michael Jackson or anything. Based on what you're being taught, you need to perform. We don't need anyone judging around here. You're in Grade 11, so put it together!

HARRISON - How's this going to help, exactly?

MR. GRANT - For two reasons! You need a sense of balance. You're a great frisbee player, Harry. I don't want to see you tripping all over the field, with no sense of balance. You do that at times, you know?

HARRISON - Yes but-

MR. GRANT - You need to understand rhythm, balance, and form. PE isn't always about sports. This comes under the subject too.

HARRISON - Second reason?

MR. GRANT - Oh yes! Prom is coming up. You need to get ready for that.

HARRISON - Can't we just hang out at prom?

MR. GRANT - I expect you all to learn the Waltz by then.

ALL - What?!

MR. GRANT - Hey! Hey! Calm down! Good news, is that I'm not teaching this unit.

ALL - Phew!

MR. GRANT - We have a dance instructor from outside, teaching you all. Say hello! To Ms. Anna!

ANNA - Hi everybody!

(Students are in shock)

ANNA - Dancing can be difficult for some, like the shy ones. Especially when with a partner, there is added pressure. Not to worry, I'll make this unit easy as lemons.

HARRISON - Lemons?

ANNA - Everybody find a partner! Boys pair with Girls! Quick, Quick!

(Boys are paired up with girls)

ANNA - Hmm...that's good. Oh wait! What do we have here?

(She sees Harrison partnered up with Luke, and two other girls partnered up with each other)

ANNA - Switch partners.

HARRISON - Damn it.

(Harrison is partnered up with Rosie)

ROSIE - Hey, Harry.

HARRISON - (Nervous) H-Hey.

ROSIE - (Turned on by Harry's Physique) I love dancing. (Checks Harrison out) Looks good to me.

HARRISON - (Nervous) Jesus Christ.

ROSIE - (Giggles) Oh come on, don't feel shy.

ANNA - First position! Basic position! Boys have your left hand up, girls with your right hand.

(Students follow)

ROSIE - Oh wow, your hand is nice and strong.

HARRISON - Are you always turned on like this?

ROSIE - (Giggles) Naughty, Naughty Harry.

ANNA - The girls put their left hand on the boy's shoulder.

(Students follow)

ROSIE - How do you like it?

HARRISON - Are you tickling my collar bone?

ANNA - Finally, the boys place their right hand behind the girls back. When I mean the girl's back, I mean somewhere around the shoulder blade.

(Students follow)

HARRISON - (Hesitates and places his hand on Rosie's shoulder blade) T-This just got more awkward.

ROSIE - Ah....

HARRISON - C-Can you calm down?

ROSIE - But you make me comfortable.

HARRISON - Piece of advice for you: Don't get drunk in the future.

[Scene 5]

(Board of Schools Meeting)

ELIZA - Till date, sufficient relief hasn't been provided to those affected by the Haiti earthquake. To make up for the remaining homes, I want all schools in this country to host "Service Week".

(She shows a Presentation)

ELIZA - The idea of "Service Week" is for students to contribute to the charity work. Our target is $10 Million for Haiti. For one entire week, we are offering for schools to host activities and events such as free dress day, and school carnivals. These are just ideas, but end result we hope to see "Service Week" being initiated.

We hope for teachers to plan whatever activities and events they want for that one week. End result should show money being collected for Haiti. I feel this could be a great chance for students to understand current events - while we have the luxuries, there are still those striving to get access to them.

(Everyone applauds her presentation)

CHAIRMAN - This is a good idea. We'll speak with the group of schools, including Principals and Vice Principals of schools to give clearance. From our side, you have the green signal. There may be a few issues regarding the week coinciding with UN Day.

ELIZA - It would be great if that one week, where UN Day coincides with, could be "Service Week". This would be a great plus point for this initiative.

CHAIRMAN - Right then, consider this project done.

ELIZA - From our side, we'll be contributing some $2.5 Million off profits made from husband's business.

[Scene 6]

(Standard Chartered Bank)

MARTA - Come in!

CLIENT 1 - Afternoon Ms. Kehila.

MARTA - Afternoon.

CLIENT 1 - We're starting off a new Marathon race in city side.

MARTA - Okay.

CLIENT 1 - We're a team of 20 and we plan on hosting a 10km Marathon. We were hoping for whether or not, the bank could sponsor the event.

MARTA - What are the prizes going to be?

CLIENT 1 - We're looking at giving away $500 cash prize along with your Bank's Privilege Card. Second place get $250 cash prize along with bag, and third place settles with $125 cash prize along with a Nike water bottle.

MARTA - So Nike is also sponsoring this, for the sake of bags and water bottle giveaways?

CLIENT 1 - We'll be having Subway sponsor this event soon for the snacks and drinks too.

MARTA - How about this, wait for Subway to give the green signal. After which, we can proceed with this. I'm liking the idea so far, it's just that we'll have to discuss the giveaway of cash prize along with the privilege cards. Are there going to be multiple age groups?

CLIENT 1 - We'll be having three races: U12 Marathon, U19 Marathon, and finally the Seniors' Marathon.

MARTA - That's the important bit you missed out. My team will have to discuss this first, then proceed. For now, ensure Subway gives the green signal.

CLIENT 1 - Okay, thank you.

[Scene 7]

(Back home from school)

PERRY - Hey! How was school.

XANTHE - Awesome!

SARAH - Usual.

VINCENT - Nothing much.

HARRISON - Sucked.

PERRY - What?

HARRISON - It sucked. How come you never question their answers?

PERRY - You're here, and they're there.

HARRISON - We're doing dance in PE.

SARAH - Oh! I remember doing that last year.

HARRISON - Was your dance partner like...

SARAH - Like what?

HARRISON - Turned on?

SARAH - No.

HARRISON - I'm paired up with Rosie. Who could possibly be the next big thing.

VINCENT - Next big thing? Mate, you have to elaborate on that.

HARRISON - Stripper.

ALL - Ew!! What?!

HARRISON - We're doing the Waltz, people! How the hell does someone get turned on by the Waltz?!

SARAH - I mean, it is a form of dance with both a male and female partner.

HARRISON - I get that, but come on! Why does it even exist? Dancing shouldn't even be a thing.

SARAH - Hey! Hey! If that's the case, then neither should your ultimate frisbee!

HARRISON - Oi! Ultimate Frisbee requires training and learning the rules. Not dancing! Look! (dances in a very weird manner) This is dancing! No playbook! No technique!

XANTHE - Harrison, j-just don't that again.

HARRISON - The what?

XANTHE - Horses are not meant to fly, and you're not meant to dance.

HARRISON - Oh! Praise the lord! Someone understands me!

XANTHE - You're just being naive about this. You don't have to like dancing, just respect the art form.

HARRISON - I can do that. If things got to me easily.

VINCENT - Dude, what is your problem? I caught a Weedle in your argument.

HARRISON - In no way whatsoever, do I love to dance. Okay! So that put me in a disadvantage. What's worse is having a dance partner, who gets turned on by the Waltz.

VINCENT - (Giggles) Loser.

HARRISON - Vinnie.

VINCENT - (Giggling) I-I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Good thing you're not doing the Salsa.

ALL - Hahaha!!

HARRISON - I don't get it. D-Did you just call me a nacho!

[Scene 8]

(Xanthe's room - Xanthe is setting up the camera for her Vlog)

XANTHE - (Turns on the camera) Welcome back! To Xanthe Jewel! I'm going to be introducing a new form of jewelry making - Laser cutting! Hopefully you all are aware of it. For those who don't let me show you how it works (whips out her paper) As you can see, on this paper I have the drawing of my jewelry. I'll be making a pendant in the shape of a crab. Draw anything you like, but making sure the shapes are connected, because as your final product, you want to make sure the lasers can easily cut out the shapes you wanted for your jewelry.

You can see that the details of the crab are all connected, and not separated. Apart from the holes in between for the eyes and all. The laser will be able to cut this out and there you'll have it! Your laser cut jewelry. Join me next time, as I present the final piece of pendant jewelry.

[Scene 9]

(At night after dinner - everyone's asleep)

MARTA - Good night, Xanthe.

XANTHE - Good night, Mom.

MARTA - Good night, dear (kisses Perry).

PERRY - Good night.

(They go to sleep - Kai opens the door and wakes Perry)

KAI - (Whispers) Wake up!

PERRY - (Wakes up - whispering) What on earth are you doing here?

KAI - I brought the book.

PERRY - She's already asleep, it's never going to happen.

KAI - This is a meditation book, not for that.

PERRY - Can we do this some other time?

KAI - Read it tonight, and give me your feedback in the morning.

PERRY - Oi!

(Kai leaves the room)

MARTA - (Sleepy voice) What was that?

PERRY - Nothing, nothing.

(Perry is haing mixed thoughts about the exercises in this book - whilst reading)

PERRY - (Upon finishing the book - mind voice) Holy shit, I can't even feel it anymore!

END EPISODE 2

I’m not sure what the main point of this is just now. The biggest point of contention at the moment seems to be Harrison’s discomfort with dancing, only because the most time is spent on it.

(I made so many snarky comments about that as I was reading, btdubs. i.e. Dancing is a sport, have you seen how strong ballerinas have to be? and Yeah, dancing requires NO training and NO rules, I’m sure you could hop out onstage and do the tango with no training whatsoever. Off you go, Harrison.

Gosh, can you imagine how turned on Rosie would be if they were learning the tango?)

Anyway, I’m really not sure what the main point is. Here’s what happens, as summed up by me.

1. A discussion that basically sounds like a commercial for healthy living—which weirdly revolves around milk fat, even though there’s a vast difference between the fat in milk and the fat in a McDonald’s hamburger.
2. A somewhat cryptic discussion of Kai’s latest product and how weird/gross it is.
3. A scene where Xanthe and the others are excited about their jewelry design project (which *does* sound pretty cool).
4. A gym-slash-dance session that makes Harrison extremely uncomfortable and leads him to slut shame a girl who is (understandably) turned on by the beauty and grace and power that is ballroom.
5. A school board meeting centered around the new Service Week (which weirdly will raise money through fun stuff instead of students performing services for people).
6. Marta’s meeting with a bank client who wants the bank to sponsor a marathon.
7. Harrison complaining about gym class while the others tease him.
8. Xanthe’s vlog on making jewelry.
9. Bedtime and something about a meditation book.

Not only do few of these things actually seem to have anything to do with each other, but they involve different characters—the family is more or less all together for the healthy living commercial and bedtime; Perry is the main person involved in the discussion of Kai’s new whatever-it-is; Harrison is around for gym class and complaining about gym class; Xanthe is around for jewelry-making and vlogging about jewelry-making; Marta is at the bank; Eliza makes the presentation to the schoolboard. At this point, I’m not sure who the main character is or what the story’s about.

Which, to be fair—this is the first part of this that I’m reading. But none of the things really seem connected. I have no idea where this is going. Not in a suspenseful way—more like a “what is this story even about” way.

That said, I enjoyed reading it and find some of the characters particularly distinctive, especially Harrison. Even though that might be because he spent most of his time complaining about dancing, so it was obvious which one he was!

(Also I kept thinking about The Flash, because now that’s all I can think of when I find a character whose name is Harrison. Sorry.)

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:28 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm here for another review for you.

I'll admit - this was fairly funny. Not in a laugh-out-loud kind of way, but just in a way where you realize that this is slightly absurd and just enjoy it for what it is.

The main thing I noticed to critique was that even though this is an entire episode, parts of it don't really feel like they're followed up on enough to warrant the ending of the story. You brought the dancing plot and the jewelry-making plot to a decent rest, even though I'm sure the saga will continue in later episodes, but school board meeting with the fundraising for Haiti didn't feel like it went anywhere. I realize it's probably important for something in future episodes, but it feels rather out of place in this one, where nothing else really relates to it.

I also found it a bit unbelievable that Eliza genuinely thinks they're going to raise ten million dollars from this. Even for a whole week of charity events, with just one school/town, that's not going to happen. Though maybe that was the point - maybe it's supposed to be absurd. Guess it depends on how it would be acted.

Also, I thought the scene where they were dancing and she was turned on was more than a little odd. But I suppose that's the point.

Small thing: I'm pretty sure waltz and salsa aren't capitalized.

And that's all I've got for you! Good luck with this!

I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield