Searching for Security 5.1

by Aley

To: Chapter 4, Part 3

Ch. 5

Natsumi lay against a thick old tree that pushed energy into her like a scapegoat for her weakness. As if she were water, and the energy was a rock, she couldn't hold onto it. Her head throbbed with pain and her stomach audibly growled. She could feel her legs burning and her arms trying to fall off of her shoulders.

The fox leaned against a tree across from her in the rocky clearing. They were close enough that she could see he fared better. He was watching her feet, his eyes dripping down them in time with the soft pat, pat, pat of her blood. She had stepped on something too hard for her to walk on. It was hard to imagine that in her own lands, she could walk on anything and not even get a scratch. Now she felt like the abused extra weight.

He wasn't helping either. Instead, the fox was ignoring her as best he could. It didn't stop him from staring, but he didn't say anything. How he kept his dignity and continued to move on as though the world were normal was beyond her. The world most definitely changed.

Natsumi shut her eyes again, satisfied that the graying man was still there.

She heard rustling again, the clicking of rocks, and her shoulders tensed, nearly popping her arms back into her sockets from where they flopped against the ground. She pulled her crooked self together and pushed onto her arms. That had to be the fox moving. He was leaving again. Sweat broke out over her head, dripping through her hair and down her back. She tried to push herself to her knees. She could barely hold herself up.

"Little one, just rest. I will bring you some food." His voice was like silk as he spoke to her. Natsumi sighed in relief to hear it again. That wasn't nearly as long as she'd expected to wait to hear him.

Tears tried to drip from her eyes. She fought off her feeling of weakness and pushed herself up onto her bloody feet. Maybe it was a ploy to get rid of me. She stumbled forward a step, then wobbled backwards into the tree. She leaned against it and stared where she heard the fox moving. He was drifting into the underbrush not far away. She carefully pushed herself forward again, this time keeping her balance. She made it past the small clearing, not more than three yards wide, and into the trees. The undergrowth scratched at her cloth as she tried to follow the fox. It was apparent after just moments; his quick feet were too much for her at any speed with her clomping dead fish.

She stumbled into another tree as her eyes blurred and her knees gave out again. She shut them taking a few breaths and trying to feed off of the life the tree provided. She could feel it dance across her form and soak into her aching muscles like a soothing lotion on a sunburn. Hands grabbed her shoulders and a chill shot down her spine. She whipped her head up, adrenaline driving her to swipe at the limbs and lean back.

"Whoa there, calm down." Jackson said. He grabbed one shoulder, and his other arm came around her waist supporting the small of her back.

Natsumi's eyes focused on the familiar face. His cheeks were pudgier now. Tufts of white hair broke through the thick black. His light blue eyes dug into her as dizziness took hold again. "Don't leave me," she asked softly.

Jackson laughed and shook his head. "I'm not going to leave you Little One. You rest. I'll be back before you know I'm gone."

It was to a rich smell that grabbed her stomach and hoisted it to the forefront of her mind when she woke up. She her mouth watered as she realized the smell must be food. Seeing took a few minutes. She saw bright red dancing around on the ground near her face, heard the crackling of wood, and smelled the wafting smoke. Fire, there was a fire.

Natsumi pushed herself up from the ground. She tottered upright and backed away from the fire. "Water, I need water," she whispered to herself as she backed away.

"Good morning. It's alright." Hands caught her shoulders. She leaned on her arm. Staring up, wide eyed and mouth gaping at the gray haired wonder behind her, she felt the world spin. "I know you're really kind of queasy about fire, but that's what is making that delicious smell. I have a ring of stones around the fire so it cannot escape that little spot and once I'm done, the fire will be put out." Was that why he'd always moved the rocks?

He walked around her towards the fire.

Natsumi righted herself and examined the little clearing they were in. It wasn't big, but it was clear enough that grass had taken root. She looked for a tree to sit against, but she only found stumps.

"What is this place?"

Jackson glanced towards her, and her heart swelled to see his welcoming blue eyes. He wasn't frowning at her, or pursing his lips, but watching her. "Well, we've made it to the lake's side. We've been heading north while you recuperated and this is a logging area where they cut down trees to make buildings. Once we're passed here, we will be into the desert."

Natsumi's eyes landed on the thin trees around them. All of them were young and measly. They were growing, but not well. "There is no imp."

"No, the imp of this area was killed," Jackson agreed, turning back to his chore. "Honestly I don't understand why you guys always insist on staying in these wretched places and populating the land in segments. It seems like with the humans hunting you, it would be easier to collect somewhere and protect each other."

Natsumi shivered and wrapped her arms around herself. "That's horrible. This land will suffer for it without an imp to protect it."

Jackson paused for a moment then kept tending the fire. "If you're so worried about it, can't you just adopt this areas as your land too? I know you guys are from the magic water and the land, but it seems like you'd be able to settle down anywhere because it's all connected"

Natsumi didn't hear him, she didn't even look at him as her eyes grazed the chopped logs, seeing the twigs and branches that had been scraped off from the impact, and the seeds that had begun to grow. She couldn't feel the land, but at least nothing was feeling the cut wood in the fire. That always felt like death. She sniffed. The lack of an imp explained why the trees were feeding her too, they wanted her. The thing was, she couldn't feed them back, she couldn't even feel their forms or their roots

"Natsumi," Jackson said, finally breaking her out of her trance.

Wiping her tears away from her red-brown skin, she dropped her eyes "Why do you hunt?" Natsumi asked.

"I hunt to get meat, which is food. I survive mostly on meat but this form cannot stomach uncooked meat as well as my other form, so I have to cook it."

"Why did we start going this way?"

"We needed to around the lake," he poked the fire with a stick. It crackled noisily, "and now we're almost to the side of it. We will cut through a town near the lake and then head straight north. At the town we should be able to pick up food and water for the trip through the desert."

"Aren't there animals in the desert?"

"Some, but they are few and hard to catch."

"What about winter? Is it snowy?" Natsumi tipped her head, her hair tickling her shoulders.

"A desert is typically hot, and this one has few exceptions. At night it might snow if it has any precipitation, but the mountains usually catch it all."

"Mountains," she whispered, her mouth staying open and her eyes widening as she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around her knees. "I never thought I would see mountains. Those hills we were on, why were they so hard?"

"Oh those? They were all craved out by the water which gathered in Lake Erik. Back when I was very young, my elders used to tell me stories about how Erik once was a mighty angry king who refused to give his sisters anything."

Natsumi pushed herself forward, crawling over to his side. Her hand complained about a sharp rock, but she ignored it. Most of the land was soft grass. "They had stories about the lake?"

Jackson frowned and nodded. "Didn't your elders tell you stories about the landmarks too?"

She sat up and shook her head. "My elder is Thoth. He gave me land."

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:00 am

So here I am to finally leave you a review of the story as a whole, based on the draft on FictionPress. I read it all over the last twenty-four hours and took notes on my thoughts, so here we go. I apologize in advance, because this will be long and you may not like it.

Well, first let's say something good, which is: I don't know what kind of editing you did between FP and here, but frankly I think the complete draft on FP did a bit better job explaining things, like right at the opening. I could be misjudging that because, due to our several chats about the book, I know more about the story than I did when I read the first chapter here. But it seems like you let a little more information about the world slip out, in less awkward ways than in ch. 1 of this version (when Thoth and Natsumi have a long conversation about the origin of imps for no apparent reason).

I think the primary problem right now is that there doesn't seem to be much of an overarching plot. Or, like, the plot is having trouble focusing on one main plot. At first it seems to be this journey that Natsumi is going on with Jackson, but then it seems to be their romance (which I do not ship at all, but more on that later), but then there's a sort of climax that comes out of nowhere (the thing with Thoth), but it's resolved too quickly and then N actually doesn't suffer any sort of lasting trouble over it and happily runs around with her paramour.

This is probably just because you wrote this for NaNoWriMo. I don't know if you did any planning prior to NaNo for this, but even though I usually write without doing an outline or anything, I find it easier to keep on-track in November if I have a plan to follow. Anyway, I'd say that's the first thing that needs attention. It's fine if you want all of these things in the story, but one of them needs to be the obvious main plot while the others are relegated to subplots. Plus, there needs to be more gradual building-up overtime of the plot point involving Thoth's untimely demise. We don't even find out how it occurred or what happened to the land afterward or anything, because N goes from being in extreme pain and grieving to running around joyfully with J, THE END. So, just something to think about there.

On the note of plot points...the romance. I. Do. Not. Ship. This. At. All. Not at all. I want this ship to sink, very badly. I think romance has never made me so uncomfortable before, and the reason is that N is originally presented as a young girl. An imp, yes, but she reads like a little girl. Not only at the beginning, but throughout the whole story. And J is a supernatural being like her, so it's fine if their actual ages in years are very different--but she reads like a little girl, and he reads as much, much older. So it was so ridiculously uncomfortable for me, reading it--even thinking about it right now makes me feel uneasy. And any time they kissed, or any time N was all focused on J's chest or muscles or, YE GODS, when she said "you have sex organs," dear God. No. Just no.

I liked them as friends, and I'm all in favor of friendships between adorable little girls who bring out the softer side of their older male companions who become surrogate father figures. Love that. And a lot of their non-romancey dialogue was good/amusing/fun.

And it's not even that I'm against the idea of a romance between them in the first place, but if you want to pursue that plot point then I think it needs some serious revision. I don't know, maybe you'll post the whole thing here and I'll be the only one who feels horribly skin-crawly about it. But my suggestions would be to 1) bring N's age up a little--not her actual age, just make her seem more like a naive young woman than an out-and-out child--and 2) give a more definite sense of age for J and maybe tone his age down a little bit. I think if they seemed more compatible age-wise--I mean, I'm not even against huge age-gap couples, although if it gets upward of twenty years (in humans) it starts to bother me a little, but it's more about the fact that N doesn't read like an adult at all. She reads like a little girl, and that makes a romance that's anything more than a sweet little bit of puppy love with a little boy kind of creepy. It might also help if J didn't call her "little imp" and "little one" all the time, which is the sort of thing a much older, more fatherly figure would say rather than a romantic interest.

Hopefully I did not just poop all over your favorite aspect of the story or something by saying that, but it just made me super uneasy.

Two main problems with wording:

1. Character description. I love adjectives and adverbs, okay. But there are sooooooo many of them in your story, and I still have virtually no idea of what N looks like, except that she has red eyes, which mostly got pounded into my head when she got captured by humans and had to keep them from realizing that she wasn't human (which was pointless since they'd captured her because they realized she wasn't human). J is also fuzzy to me, but I think that's mostly because he kept transforming from one look to another in his human form, so I couldn't keep his appearance straight. I'd suggest cutting down heavily on the adjectives and adverbs, see where you can fit in a short paragraph--even just a couple sentences--of character description near the beginning, rather than cramming several adjectives in front of each mention of N and hoping we'll remember them. Either that or let it go and don't describe her imp form at all. Commit to a description or break things off.

2. While it's true that the FP version is better at explanations, it still left me with a lot of questions at the end, things you brought up in the beginning that I, a trusting reader, thought would be answered as we continued but instead left me hanging. I understand that N, for example, already knows about residents and gifteds and how imps are nothing more than ghosts to nonresidents, but the reader doesn't know and it gets confusing. Example from ch. 1:

She couldn't follow him. He was already aware of her and this was the first warning sign. He would never lose his awareness of her, so she could never be secret around him.

First warning sign of what? Why will he never lose his awareness? Why does she need to be secret around him, or around anyone other than humans, for that matter? Wtf is a gifted? We don't need massive infodumps, but taking this just a little further would help. For example:

She couldn't follow him. He was already aware of her and this was the first warning sign of __________. She could never be secret around him the way she would have to be if she wanted to __________.

There's something to be said for giving readers questions to hold their interest, but this feels too deliberate and is immensely frustrating. Also, keep in mind that if you don't explain things in the prose and N refuses to tell J in dialogue, she is subsequently refusing to tell readers, i.e. in this example from ch. 2:

Her skirt fluffed around her waist and came back duller hues of orange and red. Green speckled the trim with small specks of yellow.

Then J says, "What? Why did you just, whatever?" but N says she's not telling him, and I never found out what the heckles just happened. Similarly, an example from ch. 7:

A memory of Thoth sprung forth in her mind

but you never tell us what it is--this is the perfect sort of opportunity to fill in some of the blanks for us. Again, we don't need a long explanation, but one line to tell us what the memory was would be helpful.

There's one other sort of overarching thing that bothered me, but it was not exactly overarching because it applies to the humans who capture N, which happens, what, about halfway through or so?

I don't understand the humans at all or any of their actions. Which, I understand the story is from an imp's POV and I understand she's prejudiced because of her and Thoth's history with humans, but. It doesn't seem like I'm not understanding them because of her viewpoint coloring their actions, her misinterpretation of intended kindnesses or anything. But, like. Okay. So the humans who were around when N got attacked by that dog, and the humans who took J's money in the desert, they didn't give her a second glance.

But then that group of hunters nabs her--and okay, as you know, I don't have a clear idea of what her imp form looks like, but it seems fairly human except for the red eyes, right? She basically looks like a little girl, but these guys just grab her and toss her on a horse and then lock her up and mistreat her and stuff because "humans don't walk around in the desert without shoes." Weak sauce, dudes. You're going to kidnap and physically hurt a little girl--even an odd-looking one--without question or second thought because she's wandering the desert alone without shoes? "You're not human and we're going to either kill you or sell you on the black market" is literally your gut reaction? Not, "oh, a little girl lost and alone in the desert, are you hungry, maybe we should clean you up, what happened to your family"?

And there is never a single point where any one of them sympathizes with her, thinks the others are overreacting, tries to give her some food and kindness, nothing. Like I said, even from her POV--she could misinterpret some intended kindness, maybe assumes any food they offer is poisoned or any kindness they offer is a trick, but I didn't even see anything that she could've misinterpreted. It was all black-and-white, all-humans-are-utter-monsters. I didn't have a particular connection with N after the opening, especially once she started crying all the time beginning in about ch. 3 (seriously, go back and mark a tally every time she gets teary-eyed, because it happens a lot), but I literally did not even care about any of the humans even a little bit. Which I consider bizarre because I am human. But I didn't see an ounce of humanity in any of them, and that bothered me, because even a human who actually is a complete monster in the eyes of history--Hitler, for example--had aspects and moments that were still human (which makes it all the more disturbing, because you realize that anybody could become that monster).

I'm not saying she needs to buddy up to them or revise her opinion of them or any of that, but I would at least like to see a bit more personality from one of them.

Wtf do you mean by "his/her eyes thinned"? You use that phrase a lot, but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean "his/her eyes narrowed"? Also, you confused "passed" and "past" a lot. I'm pretty sure that every single time I saw the word "passed," it was supposed to be "past," although I'd have to do a purely nitpicky read-through to make sure, and that kind of review isn't super helpful at this point in the revisions. One more nitpick: at some point in ch. 6, J called N "dear" unironically and it was weird.

Things that were well-done:

N's connection to the land, always. It personified and characterized the land a little as well as her character, which was nice, and it was well-done. It showed us that she was connected without a massive infodump, yet we were left with no question about the fact that a connection existed.

N's naivety clear and in no doubt, plus I like her reaction to J calling her "green."

N's weakness as she gets further from her lands and becoming more and more human...except in ch. 4 when she just gets hungrier instead of actually weaker, and then in ch. 8 when she suddenly goes from weak and weepy to casually busting herself out? Prior to that it was good though.

J's early dialogue. Once we hit the romance it got weird, but prior to that it was good. And even then it was good, just not when it related to romance because. Supreme Discomfort.

Explanation of imps fits better in FP version, ch. 5 when N explains it to J than in ch. 1 of YWS version where N and Thoth discuss it.

"But I needed that!"--best reaction ever to puking up your food. My diaphragm contorted in hilarity. That line was gold.

N's reaction to wooden buildings works really well with what we know about her connection to land/nature/trees.

That is all I have for you after my complete read-through. I know it's long and gave you a lot to work on I'm sorry but I had pages of notes as I was reading but hopefully it helps you out. PM me or try me on chat if you have any questions (but I've been invisible lately so you'll probably just have to do the PM).

Blue

P.S. No idea what this means for my adopting of this novel since I have actually finished it despite the fact you're not done posting it here.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:43 pm
Pinkiegirl13 wrote a review...

Hi, Aley. This is Pinkie here for a review.

I know I didn't read the last chapters before this, but I wasn't confused at all. This chapter is very interesting. I love the characters by the way. They seems like interesting characters. The plotline is very good, and the descriptions are well done as usual.

However, I saw some nitpicks on here. I like to point them out, but r4p17 beat me to it. Well, I will leave it alone.

Overall, this is a good story. I enjoyed this story a lot. I will read the first chapter after I am done with this review. Well, I hope you make more. Have a nice day!

Awesome Job! :D

Cheers

Your reviewer, Pinkiegirl13

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 pm
r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review yet another one of your chapters Aley. I certainly hope this helps you.

Is this is a figure of speech that I just am not understanding or what, because I'm confused.

"Little one, just rest. I will bring you some food."
Well, at least he has some compassion in his heart.

Was that why he'd always moved the rocks?
Hehehe. I can't believe that she hadn't already figured that out you know!

If you're so worried about it, can't you just adopt this areas as your land too?
For once, Jackson actually does have a good point to make. :P

"We needed to around the lake,"
first you left a word out here and secondly you need to have a period not a comma.

"A desert is typically hot, and this one has few exceptions.
There are cold deserts, and It doesn't really make sense to have warm desert that far north you know.

They were all craved out by the water which gathered in Lake Erik.
You have a minor typo toward the beginning of there sentence.

I thought you ended this pat rather abruptly. I think that you could have continued with the dialogue since you hardly have any at all. I think that is about the only problem I have with your chapters they don't have much dialogue in them.

Overall I thought this was good and I can tell that the story is headed in a better direction now that Jackson is a little bit nicer. I look forward to reading more. Your description is also good as usual. Happy writing!!! :D

A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare