The Tree of Wishes

by EllieMae

The tree of wishes was a place we would go. We went there because it could give us whatever we wanted. It promised us things that no one else could give us. It had power that no one could understand.

It was the oldest tree in the entire forest. It looked different too. All the other trees were skinny and stood tall and upright. The wishing tree was only about seven feet tall, but it had roots that had overtaken all of the soil beneath it. For some reason, other trees didn’t grow around the wishing tree- it almost seems like everything around it just… died.

There is a rumour that the tree was planted by aliens- that’s why it was so powerful. I’ve heard that the tree has only survived this long because it has been watered by the tears of its victims.

The tree didn’t magically talk or anything, but it just had power. I don’t know how to explain it. It’s like that feeling when you lie upside down for a long time and you feel all of your blood pulsing in your head. The power of the wishing tree is like that, except you feel it go through your entire body.

I discovered the wishing tree shortly after we moved here. After mom and dad got divorced. I wanted to be alone, so I went into the woods outside of our backyard. After walking for a few minutes, I noticed a little trail. I followed it for about 15 minutes and I found the tree. It looked so beautiful, so I sat down on the large root at the bottom of it. When I did, I felt power surge through my body. I didn’t want to leave. I fell in love with the tree. It was all mine.

I returned every day and poured my heart out to the tree. The more I told it- the more secrets I whispered, the more power it gave me. I started to feel so much happier, but I grew attached to the tree and I couldn’t go a day without visiting.

When I had no more secrets to tell the tree, it stopped feeding me power. I started bringing my little brother with me to visit the tree. This made the tree happy and I was able to feel of its power again.

Eventually, my brother had no more secrets to tell the tree either. He started to get bored of visiting. He stopped coming, but I didn’t. I poured my heart out to the tree and begged to feel what I had once felt before.

“Please, I will do anything to feel of your power again” I begged.

Suddenly, the trees roots burst from the ground. It was angry. It wrapped its roots around my ankles so that I could not run. It trapped me and held me captive. I closed my eyes and cried- I cried enough tears to water the tree for a century.

I cried for a long time, but when I opened my eyes the tree was gone. It had vanished, as if it had never been there before. As if all of the wonderful memories of feeling happiness and power I had once felt we’re not real.

I returned home and never spoke of the tree again.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi! I'm back.

First Impression: This sounds like a pretty good story. Seems to tell us a tale there, not quite sure what the message is but it was a pretty interesting story in the structure of what I assume is something like a myth or a legend from the way its written.

Well getting right to the point at the very beginning of it. Love that we're being introduced to the whole thing here. Gives us a sense of what's about to happen and certainly gets our attention so great start there.

And then we get a description, that's also great. It tells us that something might just be off with it and shows us how we should be seeing it which is also nice. Liking this start so far.

Well that certainly is quite a rumor there...

Oooh I love that system here. Its very easy to imagine and I like that we're also getting a good look at the how the tree works. This is sounding like a really interesting tree so far.

Okay, now we get to the dangerous part. I like that, definitely looks like that tree isn't good for anybody. And got to know where this person was emotionally when they found the tree. That helps out too.

Well this is starting to sound like a classic case of too much power here...oh dear.

Oooh, this continues to get more intresting.

Well that's interesting, only he feels that pull, this tree is more complicated than I thought.

That sounds like a lot of tear...oh dear.

Certainly doesn't look like a very healthy tree to be around right there. Poor guy.

Overall: Overall this seems like a cool story, I like the idea behind it and you do a pretty good job presenting all of it so yeah that's about all I have to say about it.

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:26 pm
starbean wrote a review...

Hello! Hannah here for a quick review. I haven't wrote one for a while so it might be a little shaky. This was a great story, I liked the suspense at the end. It had the right amount of detail, too. I don't know if it was supposed to be a fable, but if it was/is, I would say that the moral is that power is dangerous, and isn't always good. Also power is addicting, just like in the story. Sorry if it made no sense, like I said I haven't wrote one in a while. Anyways, I hope to hear more from you! Keep writing, have a good day and merry Christmas!

Hannah

EllieMae says...

Thank you very much! Your review was perfect! I hope you have a lovely Christmas too!!

Ailah

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead